George Dickel BOURBON

BDanner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just saw this online. 8 year age statement. On shelves early July. No other information I can find. 

9E6FD3B8-211D-4A3E-B796-66593D07718B.jpeg

• I like it 1

I recall that Dickel and Jack Daniels meet all the requirements of the TTB to put Bourbon on their Tennessee Whisky brands.  In the past, they simply choose to label as they have.

I suspect above product to be same mash bill and all the other Dickel brands like GD #12 and all.  It's possible they went for a different profile with the barrels selected for this.  I applaud 8 year age statement.  I have to confess, Dickel house style has been outside my wheelhouse.  I know some people like it.

• I like it 2

I think for quite a while they were the suppliers for the Costco brand Kirkland bourbon. It’s now being produced by 1792 so this may be a way for them to use those barrels under their name.

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

I recall that Dickel and Jack Daniels meet all the requirements of the TTB to put Bourbon on their Tennessee Whisky brands.  In the past, they simply choose to label as they have.

I suspect above product to be same mash bill and all the other Dickel brands like GD #12 and all.  It's possible they went for a different profile with the barrels selected for this.  I applaud 8 year age statement.  I have to confess, Dickel house style has been outside my wheelhouse.  I know some people like it.

It's also possible that they barrel a good amount of distillate without giving it the Lincoln County Process. I know Corey Bringle says his Peg Leg Porker is Dickel without the LCP that he then filters through charcoal from his restaurant just prior to bottling. The stuff they are sourcing for Barrell and many others may also be from these stocks. There's so much Cascade Hollow stuff coming out right now, when they ramped up production after their shutdown, they must've went all in.

7 hours ago, webfoots said:

I think for quite a while they were the suppliers for the Costco brand Kirkland bourbon. It’s now being produced by 1792 so this may be a way for them to use those barrels under their name.

That's possible. They the source of so much NDP stuff right now that they may have decided to use some of those stocks for themselves.

Much for me to like this on many levels.  Not the least of which is not being pridefully shackled to the “Tennessee Whiskey” category, and boldly entering the bourbon category, regardless of the fact it may be considered one currently.  Nice 8 year aging is a solid offering.  I don’t see a proof, but guessing at least 86.  
I look forward to comparing this to the original Dickels.  I am a lover of the vitamin note, and it will be interesting to see if this makes it through without the LCP.      A lot of other interesting things to discover and learn about that I look forward to.  This is a very exciting release from my perspective.  

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, BigRich said:

I'm a buyer for that.  

What if you’re in line after me?  🤣🤣

• I like it 1

On 6/15/2021 at 9:23 AM, smokinjoe said:

Much for me to like this on many levels.  Not the least of which is not being pridefully shackled to the “Tennessee Whiskey” category, and boldly entering the bourbon category, regardless of the fact it may be considered one currently.  Nice 8 year aging is a solid offering.  I don’t see a proof, but guessing at least 86.  
I look forward to comparing this to the original Dickels.  I am a lover of the vitamin note, and it will be interesting to see if this makes it through without the LCP.      A lot of other interesting things to discover and learn about that I look forward to.  This is a very exciting release from my perspective.  

Amen, amen. I will be on the lookout. I am a Dickel fan.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What if you’re in line after me?  🤣🤣

HUNDRED DOLLARS!?!?!  SOLD!!

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Per interview with Nicole Austin on Whiskey Neat Podcast, this product does get the LCP but is selected from certain barrels to get a more "bourbon like" profile. She also stated that most (not all) of their sourced "bourbon" also gets the LCP. Still haven't seen it in NC, but apparently we're currently experiencing distribution issues with our ABC system.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:14 AM, BDanner said:

I know Corey Bringle says his Peg Leg Porker is Dickel without the LCP that he then filters through charcoal from his restaurant just prior to bottling. 

But the actual LCP happens BEFORE going into barrels and aging, correct?

• I like it 2

I think it’s after aging before bottling 

*EDIT

WIKI says otherwise, you are correct sir. LCP happens before going into casks for aging  

Edited by TehRegion219
I failz teh gogglez

On 7/20/2021 at 3:57 PM, Clueby said:

But the actual LCP happens BEFORE going into barrels and aging, correct?

That is correct. LCP before barreling. Any Charcoal Filtering after aging is just plain old charcoal filtering. Bringle said he wanted his used charcoal from his restaurant to be the only charcoal filtering it received, so he bought Dickel distillate that had not received the LCP and ran it through his charcoal just prior to bottling.

Edited by BDanner

Came real close to buying one today, but decided to pass.

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.06167ac4e0dd16e72df0b62a0be7b6c6.jpeg

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I wish that I could reach into my phone and grab it— not available in Louisiana.

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I can't see the price.  Just curious, what was the deciding factor in passing on it?

17 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I can't see the price.  Just curious, what was the deciding factor in passing on it?

They were $29.99. I passed because the last few bottles I decided to buy on a whim or from decent reviews just didn’t trip my trigger. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I wish this would hurry up and hit NC ABC shelves, already!

I bought a bottle of this today and cracked ‘er open about an hour ago.

I like it ok I guess. It tastes like Dickel stripped 90% of the unique flavors I drink Dickel for. It lacks a quality or unique mid-palate to finish. It’s not bad, but on first pour it’s just kinda forgettable. 

I then decided to pop my bottle of Dickel 15 year I bought last month. Even at 80 proof, it steps all over the new eight year Dickel bourbon. I know, I know - it’s older, and it’s meant to taste like classic Dickel. But man. It’s delicious. And for only $60? If I see ‘em both sitting on the shelf, right next to one another, I’m grabbing the 15 year, no question. 

Edited by Rhettro
Sp-sp-spelling
  • I like it 6

11 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

I bought a bottle of this today and cracked ‘er open about an hour ago.

I like it ok I guess. It tastes like Dickel stripped 90% of the unique flavors I drink Dickel for. It lacks a quality or unique mid-palate to finish. It’s not bad, but on first pour it’s just kinda forgettable. 

I then decided to pop my bottle of Dickel 15 year I bought last month. Even at 80 proof, it steps all over the new eight year Dickel bourbon. I know, I know - it’s older, and it’s meant to taste like classic Dickel. But man. It’s delicious. And for only $60? If I see ‘em both sitting on the shelf, right next to one another, I’m grabbing the 15 year, no question. 

It will be interesting to see how this does in the long run.  I am under the impression that she wants to repeat this every year.  In her interview with Binny's, Nicole Austin describes it as a different, more elegant profile.  She has so many barrels to choose from.  I love what she's doing by bringing different profiles to market.  We'll see if this one sticks.  Maybe a gateway for bringing in new folks not so enamored by classic Dickel?   For the price point and the 8 year stamp, it's worth a try for me.  Dickel 15 is another animal altogether!  

• I like it 2

I just received an email from Binny’s. Dickel 8 Year Bourbon-$34.99. 

Boba! Joe

On 7/23/2021 at 2:11 PM, BDanner said:

I wish this would hurry up and hit NC ABC shelves, already!

Between the driver shortage & the new warehouse inventory system still being an issue, it may be a minute. I’ve been hearing that several counties across the state didn’t get deliveries this week & others aren’t getting as much stuff & aren’t getting stuff on their regular delivery days. It’s a mess right now.

• I like it 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:36 PM, Rhettro said:

...I then decided to pop my bottle of Dickel 15 year I bought last month. Even at 80 proof, it steps all over the new eight year Dickel bourbon. ...

I picked up couple 15's and bunch o' 13 BIB release 3.  I agree with ya, 15 is incredible.  Like way good.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.