George Dickel BOURBON

BDanner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

At 8 years old, I am curious as to why it is not a "Straight" bourbon. 

3 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

At 8 years old, I am curious as to why it is not a "Straight" bourbon. 

I would think it’s more likely just how Dickel likes to label things rather than any added coloring or flavorings. They don’t label their BiB’s as straight either. I believe Jack Daniels omits labeling their products even though they meet the requirements to be labeled that way.

• I like it 1

Saw a shelf full for $27.99 today, but waiting to hear some feedback first; there's  a lot of fine bourbon available for that.

On 7/22/2021 at 1:07 PM, BDanner said:

That is correct. LCP before barreling. Any Charcoal Filtering after aging is just plain old charcoal filtering. Bringle said he wanted his used charcoal from his restaurant to be the only charcoal filtering it received, so he bought Dickel distillate that had not received the LCP and ran it through his charcoal just prior to bottling.

It is interesting that they try to dance around that on their rye label. Obviously the product couldn’t get the LCP before barreling since it is sourced MGP juice. They try to describe doing it after aging in a way that it would be similar yo their other products, but it does not say the words LCP

18 hours ago, webfoots said:

I would think it’s more likely just how Dickel likes to label things rather than any added coloring or flavorings. They don’t label their BiB’s as straight either. I believe Jack Daniels omits labeling their products even though they meet the requirements to be labeled that way.

Yeah, I get that, but JD does not call theirs a bourbon. Not adding the word Straight with no accompanying explanation is curious to me. makes me wonder what is going on.  

3 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

Yeah, I get that, but JD does not call theirs a bourbon. Not adding the word Straight with no accompanying explanation is curious to me. makes me wonder what is going on.  

Again, it’s an age stated bourbon. To be labeled as just bourbon (not blended) it can’t have any coloring or flavors added or neutral grain spirits. Much like them choosing to label their base products as “Tennessee whisky” instead of bourbon is a choice, its the same with choosing to add “straight” when it’s not required even if the product meets the requirements.

The “straight” labeling only signifies the whiskey is at least 2 years old (with the listed age if under 4) or that it’s 4+ with or without a stated age.

• 2 weeks later...

1025312485_DSCN8476(2).JPG.92c88eaa412ff36335f9a98c1155ed44.JPG

1506750746_DSCN8481(2).JPG.2fbaef5af1423af3a8579be2db8805da.JPG

replenishing for the next pandemic.

Have 4 different barrels of the 15 year.  One is nectar beyond exceptional.  Others are similar to each other, super great.  All are 80 proof.  Strong flavors beyond what one expects from 80 proof.

Have 5 different lot#'s of 13 year BIB. 1 is really very very very good, some complexity and well balanced.  1 is good but not as flavorful & seems a little hot.  2 are very good, flavorful, some might consider them too wood forward but I really like, great aftertaste.  One is not good.  I can drink it because I Iike heavy wood, but most SB'ers would put it in drain and not even mix, it is strong wood but completely one dimensional.  Advice: if have the luxury, only buy one bottle at a time and note lot numbers to decide on further bottles.

• I like it 8

24 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

Have 4 different barrels of the 15 year.  One is nectar beyond exceptional.  Others are similar to each other, super great.  All are 80 proof.  Strong flavors beyond what one expects from 80 proof.

Have 5 different lot#'s of 13 year BIB. 1 is really very very very good, some complexity and well balanced.  1 is good but not as flavorful & seems a little hot.  2 are very good, flavorful, some might consider them too wood forward but I really like, great aftertaste.  One is not good.  I can drink it because I Iike heavy wood, but most SB'ers would put it in drain and not even mix, it is strong wood but completely one dimensional.  Advice: if have the luxury, only buy one bottle at a time and note lot numbers to decide on further bottles.

Can you give us the lot numbers?

On 7/23/2021 at 5:36 PM, Rhettro said:

I bought a bottle of this today and cracked ‘er open about an hour ago.

I like it ok I guess. It tastes like Dickel stripped 90% of the unique flavors I drink Dickel for. It lacks a quality or unique mid-palate to finish. It’s not bad, but on first pour it’s just kinda forgettable. 

I then decided to pop my bottle of Dickel 15 year I bought last month. Even at 80 proof, it steps all over the new eight year Dickel bourbon. I know, I know - it’s older, and it’s meant to taste like classic Dickel. But man. It’s delicious. And for only $60? If I see ‘em both sitting on the shelf, right next to one another, I’m grabbing the 15 year, no question. 

You're right,  the Dickel 15 year is tremendous.    So is the new Dickel BIB,   both roguish  examples of that Dickelish charm.   The addition of these two products to the market in the last several months is why I haven't yet been tempted to try the "Bourbon"  (in quotes because it still undergoes,  so I'm told, the LCP).    It's no doubt a good value given the age statement,   but what's the point of drinking Dickel that doesn't taste like Dickel?    

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Love the dedication and commitment to what you like!

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

NICE! My collection rivals yours. In fact, my wife asked why I kept buying the "blue bottle" when I already had so many. Unfortunately, the only Single Barrel I've tried (like yours, around 80'ish proof) tastes like Lemon Pledge and paint thinner. As a self-avowed Cascade Hollow Fanboy, I was very disappointed. I did pick up a couple different barrels of varying proofs because I'm sure that what I have HAS to be and outlier, as I've heard nothing but positives from most everyone else. I grabbed a bottle of the Bourbon for $32 the other day and man is it good. I'll have to side by side it with the NO.12 to verify, but I get a definite different profile (Austin said in an interview I heard that she picked barrels that fit more of a bourbon-ish profile for this release, and she succeeded). I think 8-10 years is their sweet spot. I'll be buying this quite regularly now that North Carolina ABC has raised the price of the BIB to $50.

13 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

You're right,  the Dickel 15 year is tremendous.    So is the new Dickel BIB,   both roguish  examples of that Dickelish charm.   The addition of these two products to the market in the last several months is why I haven't yet been tempted to try the "Bourbon"  (in quotes because it still undergoes,  so I'm told, the LCP).    It's no doubt a good value given the age statement,   but what's the point of drinking Dickel that doesn't taste like Dickel?    

I, like you, was hoping for a different animal all together (no LCP) with the bourbon. Per Nicole Austin, it gets the LCP but was selected from barrels that had a more "bourbon-y" profile. IMO, she did that well as it definitely is its own animal. If you want to try Dickel without the LCP, grab the Peg Leg Porker. The owner states that it is Dickel that didn't get the LCP that he then filters through Hickory charcoal from his restaurant just before bottling. So, obviously they do barrel some product that skips the Maple Charcoal, but again according to Austin, just about every bourbon that they NDP for others gets the LCP. 

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, dmatley said:

Can you give us the lot numbers?

Sure.

15 year Dickel reviewers say they're sure bad ones out there, but very few been encountered, murphy's law hit BDanner unless that flavor isn't in his milieu, it is strong flavor.  All 4 of mine were very good.

L1130K1012, 1013, 1014, 1017

BIB on other hand,... 5 lot #'s here, all follow L1097R60010457

10353 very good, acceptable to most all drinkers

10455 some wood, flavorful

10456 okay, just less flavorful

10457 stronger wood, flavorful

10458 OMG, pure wood extract

The devil on my left shoulder vs the angel on my right shoulder. 🤔 Ah, what the heck. 😁

Wild Turkey has “The Flock”. 
Four Roses has “The Cult”.

Weller has “Weller Whores”. 
Dickel has “Dick Heads”??? 

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 10

30 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The devil on my left shoulder vs the angel on my right shoulder. 🤔 Ah, what the heck. 😁

Biba! Joe

Pretty sure I Flock with The Cult. Also pretty sure I'm not a Whore or a Dick Head....🤪

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Dickel fans could also be referred to as "The Flintstones" - liking the taste of the children's chewable vitamins. 

Weller fans should more correctly be called "The Johns" - since they are the ones forking over the cash.  

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

Dickel fans could also be referred to as "The Flintstones" - liking the taste of the children's chewable vitamins. 

Weller fans should more correctly be called "The Johns" - since they are the ones forking over the cash.  

I think it more refers to the fact that they'd whore themselves out for some Weller 12.

• I like it 2

Everything I’ve seen in the 15 year has been very positive.  The winner I’d say for best bang the your buck is the 13 year BIB.

Very little…

57967A6D-E115-4013-8C1F-D93D2E026CC8.jpeg

• I like it 1

I admit, my enthusiasm for this Dickel bourbon has waned somewhat since learning that it is in fact still subject to the LCP.  Nonetheless, I still applaud Dickel’s stepping out from the whole TW/KB kerfuffle with the bourbon release.  The bourbon is good, and like others have noted, I too, do not get the signature Dickel profile.  The opening has a very nice small fresh made candy and chocolate shop nose to it, that’s  top notch.  The finish then shows the 8 yr age very well, and lingers with a good amount of oakiness.  The mid palate falls fairly flat, unfortunately.    Perhaps, it’s simply overshadowed by the good entry and finish, so it may be better than I give it credit for.  

Overall, it’s good.  But, regular Dickel holds a special place on my whiskey shelf, and this doesn’t come near to the enjoyment I get from No. 12.  So, while I may go for another bottle of the bourbon at some time at the ~$27 I paid for it, I know I enjoy the Tennessee Whiskey version and that gorgeous minerally vitamin house style so much more, so I will continually reach for it as I near the end of an open one.  

A5E7C6C0-28D6-4A71-AB9F-03FBAFE0BDF6.jpeg

• I like it 2

17 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I admit, my enthusiasm for this Dickel bourbon has waned somewhat since learning that it is in fact still subject to the LCP.  Nonetheless, I still applaud Dickel’s stepping out from the whole TW/KB kerfuffle with the bourbon release.  The bourbon is good, and like others have noted, I too, do not get the signature Dickel profile.  The opening has a very nice small fresh made candy and chocolate shop nose to it, that’s  top notch.  The finish then shows the 8 yr age very well, and lingers with a good amount of oakiness.  The mid palate falls fairly flat, unfortunately.    Perhaps, it’s simply overshadowed by the good entry and finish, so it may be better than I give it credit for.  

Overall, it’s good.  But, regular Dickel holds a special place on my whiskey shelf, and this doesn’t come near to the enjoyment I get from No. 12.  So, while I may go for another bottle of the bourbon at some time at the ~$27 I paid for it, I know I enjoy the Tennessee Whiskey version and that gorgeous minerally vitamin house style so much more, so I will continually reach for it as I near the end of an open one.  

A5E7C6C0-28D6-4A71-AB9F-03FBAFE0BDF6.jpeg

The tinkerer in me says you should try a blend(s) of the two and see what happens.

• I like it 2

On 8/6/2021 at 12:40 PM, BDanner said:

...the only Single Barrel I've tried (like yours, around 80'ish proof) tastes like Lemon Pledge and paint thinner. As a self-avowed Cascade Hollow Fanboy, I was very disappointed. ...

You had me worried.  I never thought much about dickel vitamin, jack banana, or other brand characteristics until people mentioned them.  So when I took a recent sip of 15 and got inklings of 20 year old pledge on sticky musty tavern bar top, I got worried.  True, it's been years since I licked a bar top and might need a refresher.  Fortunately, though it was just an obscure hint, that taste lost after 3rd sip so life is good, but it gives me inkling of what you found.  My 4 lots all excellent and I'm on a search for other lots just 'cause ... it's educational.

• I like it 1

On 8/6/2021 at 4:52 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Reading through this thread, it reminded me it's time to whip out my dusty dickel.

20210807_215214.jpg

• I like it 6

20 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Reading through this thread, it reminded me it's time to whip out my dusty dickel.

😲😲😲😲😲

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

871117106_DSCN8497(2).thumb.JPG.7115e13e7d1576f8284acbb201c9ebb3.JPG

Yes, full.  At least 5 different lot numbers in boxes.

I've not been air time guy till now.  Several lots start hot out o' bottle but minute or two air time tames them down to a very good sip.  With 11 or 13 different lots, I'm finding that if air time observed, most are similar to each other.

• I like it 3

On 7/26/2021 at 5:22 PM, lemonman said:

Saw a shelf full for $27.99 today, but waiting to hear some feedback first; there's  a lot of fine bourbon available for that.

If your curious you’re not risking much. 

it’s really opened my eyes.  I’m now eyeing that 15 year, does seem like a steal in today’s market.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.