Kirkland's 1792 Bourbons

BrokeCal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey guys, I know most of you already know about Costco's new bourbons but it doesn't have its own thread so I thought what the hell.

I compared the Small Batch to 1792's Small Batch last night and to say they are similar is an understatement.  For $18.99 a Liter it's a much better buy than 1792 SmB.

Soon a BIB version is coming, followed by a 120 proof Single Barrel. I have both 1792 BIB and 1792 Full Proof to compare to, so I'm looking forward to those comparisons as well.

My guess is $25.99 for the BIB liter and $34.99 for the SiB 120 Proof Liter.  I guessed right around $20 for the Small Batch and was right.

It's a great deal, and even if you think Barton is just unloading not so great barrels on Costco, I ask you to try it before you just assume that.  Now, if you tried 1792 SmB and just don't enjoy it.... Then you probably want to skip this bottle.

94C42E6F-CFED-40B2-932B-0A08C0AD5801.jpeg

Edited by BrokeCal
  • I like it 4

I wouldn’t mind trying these, they sound like a good QPR, quality to price ratio. Too bad in NYS, Costco cannot sell wine or liquor due to our ridiculous laws. Even though there are liquor stores attached to most Costco sites, they are not operated by them and cannot sell Kirkland wine or their spirits. 

• I like it 1

Wow, that sucks.  Hopefully the nearest Costco in a neighboring state isn't that far?

• I like it 1

On 7/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, RT Fan said:

I wouldn’t mind trying these, they sound like a good QPR, quality to price ratio. Too bad in NYS, Costco cannot sell wine or liquor due to our ridiculous laws. Even though there are liquor stores attached to most Costco sites, they are not operated by them and cannot sell Kirkland wine or their spirits. 

Darn I saw the first post, than I saw this and realized darn Texas is just as bad and also doesn’t sell Costco brands.  Same rule where they have a liquor store attached but not owned by Costco.  

• I like it 2

I'm not a Costco member, but I might give these a try, especially the BiB and SiB.  In Calif. (and many other states), you do not have to be a member to buy alcohol at Costco. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

I'm not a Costco member, but I might give these a try, especially the BiB and SiB.  In Calif. (and many other states), you do not have to be a member to buy alcohol at Costco. 

I've heard that is the case in Indiana too, but never tried to purchase anything there.

I think it has something to do with the state being the sole authority on alcohol transactions.

• I like it 1

I’ve been putting a dent on a bottle of the SmB I purchased last week. I prefer 1792 SmB (it’s a favorite daily of mine), but for around $20 a liter it’s a terrific pour. 

• I like it 3

On 7/5/2021 at 4:09 PM, fosmith said:

It's been a while since I made a Costco liquor purchase but I don't even recall them asking to see your membership card in Georgia. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

It's been a while since I made a Costco liquor purchase but I don't even recall them asking to see your membership card in Georgia. 

I may need to test this theory!  We've been Sams Club members for 20 odd years, but I've heard good things about several of the Costco brand liquors.  Hadn't had another solid reason to convince the wifey to change (Sams Club has you scan your card with every purchase), but if they don't check . . . problem solved!  Not that I need bulk booze at the moment ;) 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, GaryT said:

I may need to test this theory!  We've been Sams Club members for 20 odd years, but I've heard good things about several of the Costco brand liquors.  Hadn't had another solid reason to convince the wifey to change (Sams Club has you scan your card with every purchase), but if they don't check . . . problem solved!  Not that I need bulk booze at the moment ;) 

Only been to Costco liquor here in Texas.  They have a completely different entrance and don’t check for membership.

• I like it 1

They small batch seems to sell well in my area, haven't picked one up based on barton not fitting my taste profile. I'm sticking to my tired and trues OF 100 proof and JTS Brown 100 proof for bottom shelf sippers. 

Edited by M777
  • I like it 2

A Google search revealed that you can buy alcohol at Costco without a membership in the following states, Arizona, Colorado, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Texas, and Vermont,  The explanation is that, in those states, it's not legal to require a membership fee for alcohol purchases.  So, that would apply to other membership retailers such as Sam's Club as well...

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, fosmith said:

A Google search revealed that you can buy alcohol at Costco without a membership in the following states, Arizona, Colorado, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Texas, and Vermont,  The explanation is that, in those states, it's not legal to require a membership fee for alcohol purchases.  So, that would apply to other membership retailers such as Sam's Club as well...

Georgia, too.

• I like it 2

A number of years ago, I was able to purchase alcohol at a Costco in Madison Wisconsin. An associate wasn’t sure about the rules, but a manager gave the go ahead. 🤔

• I like it 1

It seems impossible that the first Kirkland Bourbon release was 10 years ago.  10 years?!?!  😫

These sound interesting enough, and priced friendly enough that I’ll take a stab, or two, at them.  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

Just now, smokinjoe said:

It seems impossible that the first Kirkland Bourbon release was 10 years ago.  10 years?!?!  😫

These sound interesting enough, and priced friendly enough that I’ll take a stab, or too, at them.  

IIRC, Beam provided the distillate for the Costco bourbon(s?) early on.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

IIRC, Beam provided the distillate for the Costco bourbon(s?) early on.

Biba! Joe

I recall that.  At some point it changed.  I think they have some stuff sourced from Dickel too (TN on the label).  They also source a bunch of Scotch for Kirkland brand.  Now you all have got me started. 🤔 I may have to check it out some time, no membership and all.

• I like it 2

On 7/7/2021 at 9:23 AM, fosmith said:

I had no idea.  This changes some purchasing strategies.  

• I like it 1

On 7/7/2021 at 9:59 PM, PaulO said:

I recall that.  At some point it changed.  I think they have some stuff sourced from Dickel too (TN on the label).  They also source a bunch of Scotch for Kirkland brand.  Now you all have got me started. 🤔 I may have to check it out some time, no membership and all.

I'vetried a few of the Kirkland Scotches, always well aged (15 years or more) and identified as Speyside.  My best guess is McCallan, although I'm no Scotch expert.  They've always been worth the price.

• I like it 1

One thing I seem to remember about these membership stores.  If you try and buy booze as a non member, they may say it has to be cash only, no credit card.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Santana said:

I'vetried a few of the Kirkland Scotches, always well aged (15 years or more) and identified as Speyside.  My best guess is McCallan, although I'm no Scotch expert.  They've always been worth the price.

I've read online, the Scotches come from the same distilleries that put out other famous brands. 

• I like it 1

We have shopped at Costco for many years.  I have heard various rumors for suppliers of their branded Bourbon, Scotch, Vodka, Canadian Whiskey, and Rum.  There has been a lot of guesses and assessment on the internet over the years with very little concrete information.  The little hints that many take are from the bottle.  The vodka bottle looks like Grey Goose.  The Canadian Whiskey bottle looks similar to Crown Royal.

I may be wrong but I believe Barton might be the first actual source listed on a Costco bottling.  Beam was pretty clear as the original bourbon supplier.  Then when the bottle listed Tennessee on the label, the source was suspected to be from Dickel.  

I believe they also have a Kirkland Irish Whiskey and a Kirkland Tennessee Whiskey.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

On 7/10/2021 at 11:26 PM, Tony Santana said:

It was Macallan for some time but that relationship ended about ten+ years ago.  Given the premium that Macallan gets in the market, it no longer made sense for them to sell to Costco like that.  I'm not sure that the name of the new partner has ever been verified.  I drink quite a bit of scotch and the Kirkland offerings are never off putting in the slightest.  It's always quality middle of the road scotch.  You aren't going to find sherry bombs or peat explosions but just a consistently well product.  But given that it is sold at Costco, that's really what we should expect. 

• I like it 5

• 2 weeks later...

Bought and tried the Kirklands SmB today.  In comparison, color was lighter than 1792 SmB, and to me, flavor was closer to a lower end Barton product.  Struck a floral/plastic note on the first try.  If it doesnt improve with air time, I'll pass on the SmB and consider other Kirkland releases.

Edited by gurgalunas
  • I like it 1

I've had it twice now, the 2nd time against VOB100; preferred the VOB, although they are definitely close relatives.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.