Kirkland's 1792 Bourbons

BrokeCal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Our SB hero ascot wearing Fred Minnick called the small batch of this meh.  Said for the price range much better off getting EW, WT101 etc.  also states all the other places selling Baron under there own brands, TW, Kroger, Liquor Barn have better options.

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Our SB hero ascot wearing Fred Minnick called the small batch of this meh.  Said for the price range much better off getting EW, WT101 etc.  also states all the other places selling Baron under there own brands, TW, Kroger, Liquor Barn have better options.

Yeah, I think TW even uses the 1792 bottles and calls it something like Ensigna Red or something like that. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Our SB hero ascot wearing Fred Minnick called the small batch of this meh.  Said for the price range much better off getting EW, WT101 etc. 

I would agree with that; definitely prefer the EW/JTSB/JWD BiBs over this, which are very close in price around here. For a few dollars more, ET BiB & WT101 are even better for my tastes.  Barton stuff doesn't seem to be in my wheelhouse.

• I like it 2

A friend served me a pour last night. He loves it, to me it tasted almost like I thought it would, thin and flat. I thanked him for the pour and and kept my thoughts to myself. Just not something I would buy and enjoy even if it had a $15 price point. Much rather spend $22 on a 750ml OF 100 proof or $18 on a 750ml JTS Brown 100 proof. 

• I like it 5

• 2 weeks later...

So now the Kirkland BIB is available, I got a bottle and cracked it.

Well, as I said, I thought the Small Batch was absolutely fine and similar to 1792 Small Batch.  Which I still believe.  After revisiting the Kirkland Small Batch its probably more similar to VOB 90 than 1792.  Still a good pour, but it has that VOB unrefined bite.

Anyway, the Kirkland BIB doesn't have that VOB roughness.  It's much much more similar to 1792.  It's a better pour than the Small Batch by a pretty large margin.  More fruity notes.  It's somewhere between 1792 Small Batch and 1792 BIB.  A petty smokin' deal for $23.99 a Liter!

• I like it 4

On 7/7/2021 at 9:23 AM, fosmith said:

A Google search revealed that you can buy alcohol at Costco without a membership in the following states, Arizona, Colorado, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Texas, and Vermont,  The explanation is that, in those states, it's not legal to require a membership fee for alcohol purchases.  So, that would apply to other membership retailers such as Sam's Club as well...

But as stated earlier, the Costcos in NY CANNOT sell liquor or wine within their actual stores. They have liquor stores that are attached to their warehouses, BUT are unaffiliated.  In NYS we have the dreaded 3 level  distribution system, Importers, wholesalers and retail stores. All designed to rip-off the retail customer to the nth degree. Costco cannot sell it’s own products be it, bourbon, vodka, or any wine in their own stores within NYS.  We here are screwed.

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was a fan of Costco's Kirkland small batch bourbon made by Beam. Seemed like a cheap cousin to Baker's/Knob Creek, and at 7-y-o and 103-proof priced at $19.99 a liter, I thought it a great value (I think it was initially priced $17.99). I am not a fan of Kirkland's Tennessee bourbon, which I think is made by Dickel; tried one bottle and did not repeat.

For some reason, I did not try the Kirkland 1792 small batch when it was available, but I picked up a Kirkland 1792 BIB in Wisc. yesterday for $23.99 (liter). Tried it last night and thought it was pretty good--not very complex and a bit too fruity for me and with little linger to the finish. Still seemed a good value, and it might grow on me. Bottle is obnoxiously tall and barely fits in only one narrow spot in my cabinet. 

You do not need to be a Costco member to purchase liquor (or prescriptions) in Illinois, but I do think you need to pay cash as they only accept Costco brand credit cards. I am pretty sure this is also true in Wisconsin and will find out next time I cross the border and report back.

Cheers.

• I like it 2

On 8/11/2021 at 12:49 PM, BrokeCal said:

Anyway, the Kirkland BIB doesn't have that VOB roughness.  It's much much more similar to 1792.  It's a better pour than the Small Batch by a pretty large margin.  More fruity notes.  It's somewhere between 1792 Small Batch and 1792 BIB.  A petty smokin' deal for $23.99 a Liter!

I actually thought that it was very similar to the 1792 BIB, much closer to that end of your Small Batch <--> BIB spectrum.  And agreed, absolutely a killer deal that had me going back the next day to grab another bottle.

• I like it 1

On 8/11/2021 at 12:49 PM, BrokeCal said:

So now the Kirkland BIB is available, I got a bottle and cracked it.

Well, as I said, I thought the Small Batch was absolutely fine and similar to 1792 Small Batch.  Which I still believe.  After revisiting the Kirkland Small Batch its probably more similar to VOB 90 than 1792.  Still a good pour, but it has that VOB unrefined bite.

I bought a bottle of the BiB yesterday and cracked it...it is kinda like a slightly hotter 1792 SmB...(only 1792 I've had, and has been a repeat buy as I like the dark fruit notes it gets going on a lot.) For $23.99 it's almost a no-brainer if the Barton juice is to your liking. I'd buy it again.

• I like it 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:56 PM, lemonman said:

I've had it twice now, the 2nd time against VOB100; preferred the VOB, although they are definitely close relatives.

I also found it very similar to VOB 100.  I need to compare them again now that both bottles have opened up for a while.

• I like it 1

Tried the Small Batch 1st; found it light, but not offensive.  Skipped the BiB and went to the Single Barrel. 

The SB "neck pour" was young and brash; it could've of been a contender, if left alone, for a few more years of barrel aging.  Thankfully the follow up pours (2 weeks later) have settled down and is my current 1st rounder, when settling down for an evening of relaxation. 

Kirkland SB.jpg

• I like it 4

• 1 month later...

This was interesting.  Night before last I finished the evening with a glass of Calumet 15 (sourced from Barton).  Last night, I had a glass of the Kirkland BIB that had a couple of months of air time and it was very reminiscent of the Calumet.  Even had some of the leather notes.  Like a significantly dialed-down version of Calumet.  Curious if anyone else that has both bottles wants to try the comparison.

My local Costco does not have the SiB yet, but they said it will be priced at $36.99. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, IamMatt said:

This was interesting.  Night before last I finished the evening with a glass of Calumet 15 (sourced from Barton).  Last night, I had a glass of the Kirkland BIB that had a couple of months of air time and it was very reminiscent of the Calumet.  Even had some of the leather notes.  Like a significantly dialed-down version of Calumet.  Curious if anyone else that has both bottles wants to try the comparison.

My local Costco does not have the SiB yet, but they said it will be priced at $36.99. 

I have not done that comparison, but I have had a sbs with VOB100/Kirkland BiB; they were, for all intents, identical. Whatever small differences there were could easily be put down to batch differences, and/or more air time for the VOB.

• I like it 2

21 minutes ago, lemonman said:

I have not done that comparison, but I have had a sbs with VOB100/Kirkland BiB; they were, for all intents, identical. Whatever small differences there were could easily be put down to batch differences, and/or more air time for the VOB.

That was my impression too, the Kirkland BIB and VOB 100 were VERY similar.  That's why I was surprised to get this reminiscence of Calumet last night.

• I like it 2

I have had both, but not SBS.  My recollection is that Cream of Kentucky was creamier than Calumet and had a bit less of the age notes (oak, leather, tobacco) than the Calumet.

• I like it 1

I've had a couple bottles of the Kirkland Barton so far, rather like it...and went back to Costco to get another along with the usual Costco errand stuff and there wasn't a trace of it there. Pooh...I hope it isn't disappearing as fast as it appeared....

• I like it 1

My local Costco just got in the SiB, priced at $30.  Tried it last night and wasn't crazy about it at first but it was my first sip of the day AND a neck pour, so there's that.  Had another small glass or two during the evening and it started growing on me, so I suspect it will be a winner when it opens up a little.  Drinks under its 120 proof.  I haven't done a SBS with any of the other Barton offerings yet, but I have a bottle of 1792 SiB I have been saving for this. 

• I like it 1

Binny's has a local bottle called Clark & Sheffield which is distilled at the Barton Distillery.  There is a single barrel and small batch.  Both are 90 proof.  I wonder how these compare to the Costco offerings.

• I like it 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:13 AM, IamMatt said:

My local Costco just got in the SiB, priced at $30.  Tried it last night and wasn't crazy about it at first but it was my first sip of the day AND a neck pour, so there's that.  Had another small glass or two during the evening and it started growing on me, so I suspect it will be a winner when it opens up a little.  Drinks under its 120 proof.  I haven't done a SBS with any of the other Barton offerings yet, but I have a bottle of 1792 SiB I have been saving for this. 

I have not tried it SBS with the 1792 SiB yet, but have--in the interests of science--been sampling it nightly and it gets better, with more flavor, and more complex each night, so I think I was right that it improves greatly with a little air time.  Its sweet and creamy palate (120 proof) reminded me of Old Ezra 7 (117 proof) and OF 1920 (115 proof) so tonight--again, in the interests of science--I did a little SBS with those 3 and found the Ezra 7 and Kirkland to be fairly similar (not in the sense that they taste just the same, but in the sense that they have very similar profiles), while the 1920 was more different.  I think the other two pack a little more flavor intensity than the Kirkland, though.

I would like to do the Kirkland and at least the Ezra SBS again blind--maybe with a couple of friends--to see if my initial impressions hold.  Maybe I should include the 1792 SiB (unfair at 98 proof?) or the 1792 Full Proof store pick I just got at 126 proof.  In the interests of science.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the SiB continues getting better, and I enjoy it.  Tonight I thought I would SBS with a bottle of standard 1792 full Proof at 125 proof.  The Kirkland was sweeter, fruitier, and creamier; the 1792 was subtly complex and seemed to have some dryer or dustier notes,  I don't think I am a synesthete but sometimes the tastes remind me of colors; the Kirkland was more dark purple and the 1792 was more beige/burnt orange.  Hard to say if i thought one was "better" than the other. 

When I was done comparing them, I poured them together in one glass; so far, I think the combo might be better than either one separately.

Tangentially, I was at Costco yesterday, and almost 2 weeks after they got their 300 bottles, they still had about 150 bottles left.  Kinda surprised me because the SB and BIB went pretty quick.  Maybe the underwhelming reactions to those first two led people to not bother with the SiB, which I think is definitely the best of the 3.

• I like it 1

So good news for anyone living on Long Island or Brooklyn/Queens. There is one Costco in the state of NY that is allowed to sell Kirkland brand spirits and wines. The store is located in Oceanside, NY,( I grew up a 1/2 an hour away and never heard of it), south of Rockville Center and next to East Rockaway. Tucked away in an industrial neighborhood, not an easy find. The story is that there was a liquor store on the site prior to Costco buying the land and they got Grandfathered in to sell booze. A rare win for NY consumers.

I have been there twice, it is a 100 mile round trip for me, so I match it up with other westward errands. The wife and I went to check it out over the Columbus Day weekend. Picked up some of their wines and saw the Single Barrel BIB and grabbed one. When we went before Thanksgiving all of the bourbon was gone. So no chance to buy another, maybe next time. 

As an aside, we bought the Kirkland French vodka, I guess it is their Grey Goose knockoff and I have to say it is a killer bargain. If I am making Bloody Mary’s or Sea Breezes, I don’t see the point of using Ketel One or Belvedere, I save those for my Martini drinking friends. For now, my new house vodka is this excellent Kirkland product, replacing Luksusova Polish vodka.  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, RT Fan said:

So good news for anyone living on Long Island or Brooklyn/Queens. There is one Costco in the state of NY that is allowed to sell Kirkland brand spirits and wines. The store is located in Oceanside, NY,( I grew up a 1/2 an hour away and never heard of it), south of Rockville Center and next to East Rockaway. Tucked away in an industrial neighborhood, not an easy find. The story is that there was a liquor store on the site prior to Costco buying the land and they got Grandfathered in to sell booze. A rare win for NY consumers.

I have been there twice, it is a 100 mile round trip for me, so I match it up with other westward errands. The wife and I went to check it out over the Columbus Day weekend. Picked up some of their wines and saw the Single Barrel BIB and grabbed one. When we went before Thanksgiving all of the bourbon was gone. So no chance to buy another, maybe next time. 

As an aside, we bought the Kirkland French vodka, I guess it is their Grey Goose knockoff and I have to say it is a killer bargain. If I am making Bloody Mary’s or Sea Breezes, I don’t see the point of using Ketel One or Belvedere, I save those for my Martini drinking friends. For now, my new house vodka is this excellent Kirkland product, replacing Luksusova Polish vodka.  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Costco is a great place to buy both name brand and Kirkland knockoff alcohol.  Some Costco stores have better selections than others.  Most Costco stores have a nice selection but nothing near a liquor store or even a grocery store.  However, the more options available with reasonably priced options, the better.  As noted by other members, occasionally you run across a great deal at Costco.

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Costco is a great place to buy both name brand and Kirkland knockoff alcohol.  Some Costco stores have better selections than others.  Most Costco stores have a nice selection but nothing near a liquor store or even a grocery store.  However, the more options available with reasonably priced options, the better.  As noted by other members, occasionally you run across a great deal at Costco.

A Costco near me recently had ECBP.

4 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

A Costco near me recently had ECBP.

Man, don't tell me that.  My Costco(s) never have anything like that.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.