What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't know what yet but I'm pulling out something special to celebrate the Cincinnati Bearcats (my alma mater) not only winning the AAC championship but also becoming the first non Power Five team to make the playoffs. Simply unbelievable:

Edit to add: 2017 WLW it is. (also had a small taste of '19 ER17 101 proof which was tasting fine but decided to go bigger.)

• I like it 8

20 hours ago, PaulO said:

OK, so don't buy Spirits Direct brands or their single barrel selections of regular brands either.

It sounds like TW doesn't actually select, or at least doesn't bother to have anyone taste samples.  Maybe just ends up being the dumping ground for barrels others rejected.

On the contrary, I have over time purchased single barrel selections from Kroger and Meijer.  These included products from: Beam, Four Roses, WT.  I'm pretty sure it was whatever the distilleries decided to send them.  By and large these selections stayed well within profile of brand.  I never got a bad one.  I will say, at different times, I got one WTKS fantail, and one FRSB that both seemed extra good.  I wrote the numbers down.  Next time at the store - all gone.

I find Meijer often has single barrels labelled as "Indiana 1.0 or 2.0" or something similar.  I always assumed these were distributor single barrels that go to multiple retailers, as occasionally I see the same labeling at other retailers.  While I have purchased a few (e.g., Woodford SiB), they didn't seem all that different from the standard bottle.

4 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

MM101 watching Alabama/Georgia SEC Championship Game.

Not surprised by the winner but expected a closer game.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I don't know what yet but I'm pulling out something special to celebrate the Cincinnati Bearcats (my alma mater) not only winning the AAC championship but also becoming the first non Power Five team to make the playoffs. Simply unbelievable:

Edit to add: 2017 WLW it is. (also had a small taste of '19 ER17 101 proof which was tasting fine but decided to go bigger.)

I might be in the minority but I look forward to expanding the playoffs.  I really do like the concept of 16 teams.

Tonight, I emptied a bottle of Statesman (single pour) and followed up with a couple of pours of AE while watching the Michigan-Iowa Big 10 Championship Game.  Oh, who am I kidding?  The pours were accurate but it was while I was watching a Hallmark Christmas movie.

• I like it 3

Met up a friend at a liquor store here and went to a good cocktail bar afterwards.  His dad passed away the week of Thanksgiving and he just got back into town a few days ago.  

His dad was a Captain Morgan and Pepsi guy, my dad was a cheap scotch and 7up guy.  We got them one while we had these.

AA08BD89-4F53-4FE7-8D78-F069EAED090C.jpeg

3DAA5F02-5370-4A3F-9999-663EA954E2BE.jpeg

• I like it 10

Made a couple of what I call "quick Old Fashioneds" with Rittenhouse and Proof syrup when we got home from the local Christmas parade. I love to make cocktails and experiment with bitters, booze, syrups, etc...but the Proof stuff makes for decent pour and go cocktails. 

Now I'm sipping on a Barrel Bourbon Private Release done by a local restaurant and liquor store. Its pretty good....not great, but good. 

Book sale today at the Ocean City public library yielded many beach reads at 50 cents a pop.    This is a fascinating compendium of wartime correspondence of soldiers from the American  Revolution through Iraq.  The Driftless Glen Single Barrel is fascinating too - almost five years of age,  it's a combination of dark cocoa and oak  that reminds me of Garrison Brothers bourbon,  but is far better balanced.

20211205_001146.jpg

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

A couple more.

AB2D1FCE-7492-42FA-A34E-6525D80F93AC.jpeg

393F26ED-4CFC-4AA4-A8B9-E22BE3020344.jpeg

Killen’s is such a good Steakhouse, and always has a good selection of spirits. 

25 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Killen’s is such a good Steakhouse, and always has a good selection of spirits. 

Pretty sad but I’ve only done there BBQ, need to correct that.

• I like it 1

After a long afternoon of raking leaves and NOT watching my NY Giants disgrace themselves yet again, a glass of Knob Creek, which hit the spot. KC is a real bargain these days by comparison, a 9 year aged bourbon. Hmmm what follows K? Oh that’s right, L as in Larceny. Gotta run there are brined pork chops to be grilled……

• I like it 4

Spent the afternoon watching the Seahawks pull off the upset while working on Continuing Education to maintain all of my professional credentials. It's a pain in the butt but necessary. Rewarding myself with a thick pour of OF1920.

• I like it 5

Follow up to my celebration pours from last night due to Cincinnati making it into the playoffs - I finished the night with a bottle kill pour of EW23 and my oh my did that taste great. HH really does a good job of managing these barrels to keep them from being oaky at that age.

• I like it 5

Nothing to celebrate for me, Giants suck and are doing their best to ensure a top 10 (or top 5) draft pick yet again.

Congratulations to the Detroit Lions fans for getting #1. Was a heck of an ending to that game.

oh, and I’m sipping some OF1910.

• I like it 4

Took my daughter to Heinz Field for the Steeler-Ravens game today.     Now at home, I am enjoying a healthy pour of Blantons after another Big Ben-led 4th quarter comeback win .

• I like it 6

Grabbed my 1st OF100 and cracked it 2nite...

A bit hotter than the Statesman and 1910 but, it definitely is more flavorful than either; at least to my taste.

I get why Steve digs this pour and a SiB version was my favorite bottle in 2020...

• I like it 4

Buffalo Trace bottle kill at the Sky Club-- an unusual evening outbound flight for me. Very pretty color on the liquid.

IMG_7207.thumb.jpg.ad245c7bc05fb2452281395f785f8cea.jpg

• I like it 6

With all the attention I’ve seen with honey finished bourbon (Belle Meade, Nulu, Boone County, Starlight, Three Chords, Good Times, etc.), I decided to attempt my own with a WiT SP that’s nothing special, a bit rough around the edges and not particularly complex. It’s not bad, but I didn’t see myself going back to this bottle anytime soon.

So I went with a 1.5% blend ratio of Round Rock Honey mixed with a 113 proof WiT 5 year wheated bourbon. I poured 1 pint of bourbon into a Pyrex glass (leaving the remainder in the bottle) and started stirring while I slowly dripped honey from a syringe. After the syringe was empty, I stirred it some more and then poured the contents back into the bottle.

It’s been 3 days and I decided to check it out (I started to second guess the 1.5% ratio, afraid it was too high). The honey is noticeable, but not overbearing. It’s an improvement over the original bottle. However, my first impression is that I needed to choose a bourbon with a bit more character to get the most benefit. The spice of a high rye bourbon, perhaps a bit older, would probably give it more complexity.

It’s clear this needs to marry for a long while, and I probably shouldn’t have added all the honey at one time. Adding a few drops over a week or so might be more ideal. Time will tell whether it improves after a few weeks. I’ll let the remainder sit until Christmas (or thereabouts).

C9A4A76E-5188-413B-B562-A10142112327.jpeg

• I like it 1

Am on vacation. And while flying g to my vacation destination. I asked for a Woodford drink. They must have had plenty as they gave me two. 

E9303137-CAED-4EBA-8E81-AE53771EC810.jpeg

• I like it 5

Widow Jane 10 year NYC lunch pour— If not all GAD, and least a good percentage. Snappy, dry and mineralesque.

A5A7926C-1FEF-46ED-BDD0-07FD2703D975.thumb.jpeg.3759634e4f55329ea0b96ec4ee7fda15.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.