What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/8/2021 at 9:34 PM, 0895 said:

^still bothers my ocd that they moved the label lower on Lot B a couple years back. 😱

Only you would notice this. When did the change happen? 

The secondary price is probably $100 more for the “high label” lot Bs 😂

1 minute ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

The secondary price is probably $100 more for the “high label” lot Bs 😂

Vintage!?!

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

According to this laser code, 2018.

577EBCC7-B6FA-4867-81A2-AA432EB1A773.jpeg

Edited by 0895
PSA: IF YOU CAN’T READ IT, YOU’RE A TATER !

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

I must be a tater! Looks like it's in Klingon.

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I must be a tater! Looks like it's in Klingon.

🙄 

Reminds me of a joke.  🤔

Biba! Joe

On 12/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, CUfan99 said:

What’s the scoop on the Rebel SiB CS’s? Look to be 4 to 5 years old so I suppose Luxco’s distillate? Any feedback appreciated. 

I just dived into one.  This one is 113 proof 4+ years old maybe 4.5 years.  It's Lux brand but almost certainly produced by Heaven Hill.  Up front a little young but after taste quite nice.  Surprisingly good for its youth and worth it's price point in my book.  I just picked up some new lot #'s dickel BIB and back to back the Rebel holds its own.  Now trying standard elijah which comes in with more complexity than Rebel, good after like Rebel, but when I'm feeling like Jessee James I'm going for the Rebel.  I've only 2 bottles Rebel so sar, probably get another 2 for the larder.  Is it a bargain?  No, but it's worth the price point and recommend grab one.  

• I like it 1

just back to the UK from a birthday trip in Las Vegas. visited TW south strip outlets. was an Aladins cave to me and i could have spent a few hours looking through what the had. anyway  picked a few up to bring home. the CR rye was purchased at the airport.

IMG20211211114945.jpg

Edited by anthony. g.
  • I like it 6

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

I had (I think) a 2018 with similar sandscrit code.  Ancient markings aside it still tasted an awful lot like regular W12. That .4 pf point boost just doesn’t show up!

I’ve said it before, but can BT please scrap this release and replace with say a 100pf Weller Centennial SiB?

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I had (I think) a 2018 with similar sandscrit code.  Ancient markings aside it still tasted an awful lot like regular W12. That .4 pf point boost just doesn’t show up!

I’ve said it before, but can BT please scrap this release and replace with say a 100pf Weller Centennial SiB?

I’m not so sure it’s their decision.

But I agree that a different proof point would likely help it stand out better.

Not that I have any experience with it, but this would absolutely be a bottle to skip buying from unscrupulous places & avoid pours in bars.  So easy to refill with the more common W12 and I’d wager that even experienced drinkers would have a hard time noticing.  IMO, the gap between the two is closing (W12 has gotten better in the last few years).

57 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

The gal at the checkout told me “Hope you have an awesome party!"

IMG_7252.thumb.jpg.7c65eec19e34b39531054b3c15839b43.jpg

Serious question.

Do you just kind of collect 1 of everything, is there a pattern, or?

58 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

The gal at the checkout told me “Hope you have an awesome party!"

IMG_7252.thumb.jpg.7c65eec19e34b39531054b3c15839b43.jpg

Quite the haul...

42 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Serious question.

Do you just kind of collect 1 of everything, is there a pattern, or?

Yes, that's the understanding I have with my retailers, CPA and clients. However, I do buy duplicate bottles often for gifting and to build competitive shelf sets or back bars.

• I like it 1

On 12/9/2021 at 10:06 PM, LCWoody said:

I couldn’t pass this up. 
EC900C34-7924-49B7-98A2-04BDEBAA9AE3.thumb.jpeg.0e3a71bfe26e88390f1d6d1dd096ccf0.jpeg

I always pass on the 15.  Am I missing something? I keep hearing the price-to-tannic flavor ratio (for lack of a better term) is unfavorable.  I've been accumulating KC12s though lately amd I really enjoy that one.  And I have some 14 yr private picks that rock but I keep hearing that the standard KC15 might be over oaked.

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

I’m not so sure it’s their decision.

But I agree that a different proof point would likely help it stand out better.

Not that I have any experience with it, but this would absolutely be a bottle to skip buying from unscrupulous places & avoid pours in bars.  So easy to refill with the more common W12 and I’d wager that even experienced drinkers would have a hard time noticing.  IMO, the gap between the two is closing (W12 has gotten better in the last few years).

Good advice. Only buy this one from trusted retailers and only at msrp (even at msrp it's a dubious value). I've only purchased one of these and it was from TW a few years back from their lottery system (the completist in me dictated that I needed at least one hah). 

Now I'll have to check whether mine's a high label or a low label! Lol 😆

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I too, would love to see the return of Weller Centennial. At least I have my Weller Blend. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I always pass on the 15.  Am I missing something? ... but I keep hearing that the standard KC15 might be over oaked.

1) not matter who manufacturersers, there will be barrel or lot to lot variation.  With 6 open dickel 15 year going back to back for weeks, with certainty, 1 bottle true nectar, 4 bottles good & wood present, and 1 tasted like chewing on a wood plank - bitter wood.

2) maybe impossible for me to find something over-oaked from long age.  different folks, different strokes

7 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

2) maybe impossible for me to find something over-oaked from long age.  different folks, different strokes

Thanks for the feedback BB.  I do like oak but when the dry tannins start to take over, it's a bit off-putting to me.  Think PVW23 and some of the 18+ yr HH products.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Thanks for the feedback BB.  I do like oak but when the dry tannins start to take over, it's a bit off-putting to me.  Think PVW23 and some of the 18+ yr HH products.

I've only tried PVW23 once, but I was actually surprised that I DIDN'T find it overoaked.   I thought it was really well balanced. Had a buttery-ness to it and lots of sweetness, and yes a lot of oak but not over done (to me). I'll admit I'm a fan of oaky bourbons, though 

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I've only tried PVW23 once, but I was actually surprised that I DIDN'T find it overoaked.   I thought it was really well balanced. Had a buttery-ness to it and lots of sweetness, and yes a lot of oak but not over done (to me). I'll admit I'm a fan of oaky bourbons, though 

Me likee PVW23 - even bettah' when somebody else paid for the bottle!  🥰

• I like it 3

Went to the local LS to pick up some rye for cocktails.  They had a crowd earlier in the day for release of their allocated products.  One of the employees said fold lined up around 5:00 for Blantons, OF BIB, 1792 FP, etc.  When I was there, they only had some allocated scotch and Japanese whiskey let.  I looked around and found some FR SBS and some OGD 114 on the shelves along with some JD rye and left pretty happy.  Glad I didn't wait in line at an early hour.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

I always pass on the 15.  Am I missing something? I keep hearing the price-to-tannic flavor ratio (for lack of a better term) is unfavorable.  I've been accumulating KC12s though lately amd I really enjoy that one.  And I have some 14 yr private picks that rock but I keep hearing that the standard KC15 might be over oaked.

I’m a big time oak guy.... the KC15y, to me, is not over oaked, on the same note the 12y is very good (both 100p and barrel proof). Both get a chefs kiss for me. 
I don’t think you will be disappointed in the 15y. 

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I’m a big time oak guy.... the KC15y, to me, is not over oaked, on the same note the 12y is very good (both 100p and barrel proof). Both get a chefs kiss for me. 
I don’t think you will be disappointed in the 15y. 

Thanks LCW, I may have to give that one a try next time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.