What bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2021)

CreepFactor10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My local has had five bottles of Peerless 24 month old Rye for $106 on the shelf for two years. I was able to convince the manager to sell me one at 50% off. While I wanted to hate it, it’s pretty dang good. Not $100+ good, but compared nicely to Rare Breed Rye and Pikesville in the $40-50 range.

• I like it 3

On 12/3/2021 at 3:00 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks Tim. Looks like I wasn’t too far off. The last time I was at HH, they were just starting the visitor center expansion. :o They had another counter set up way down the hall in front of the theater. The grenades were available there, but you had to ask.

How’s the visitor center look now? 

Biba! Joe

Same here.

We visited, right before they opened the doors for the day. We weren't looking for anything allocated, but they had a few bottles of the WHH available.  My buddy bought one, but I passed. I like it, but don't love it, so I left it for someone else to buy.  Hopefully it wasn't someone who was going to flip it.

• I like it 1

Since I tend to ask annoying questions, here goes....on these gift shop sales, how do the distilleries keep track of who buys what and when....if they are limiting sale to one per quarter, for example?  Are you required to show ID that they enter into a database?   Inquiring minds want to know.

12 minutes ago, G L Tirebiter said:

Since I tend to ask annoying questions, here goes....on these gift shop sales, how do the distilleries keep track of who buys what and when....if they are limiting sale to one per quarter, for example?  Are you required to show ID that they enter into a database?   Inquiring minds want to know.

Yep, they’ll take your DL and input your info into their system. Happened to me at HH, EW Experience and at BT

31 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

Yep, they’ll take your DL and input your info into their system. Happened to me at HH, EW Experience and at BT

Not sure, but I believe that most driver’s license can be scanned. There’s a barcode on the back. I know they can do that here in Illinois.

I got surprised one time years ago before I quit smoking. I stopped at a gas station to buy a pack of cigarettes. The lady at the counter asked me for my ID. I smiled and took my cap off. 😁 She didn’t think that was funny, and asked me again for my ID. 😬 As I reached for my wallet, I asked her what was going on. I was told that the authorities were cracking down because some underage folks were caught buying cigarettes. To avoid future fines, they were checking the ID of everyone purchasing cigarettes. I  handed her my drivers license, she scanned the back of it, then thanked me as she handed my drivers license back. 🙄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, webfoots said:

My local has had five bottles of Peerless 24 month old Rye for $106 on the shelf for two years. I was able to convince the manager to sell me one at 50% off. While I wanted to hate it, it’s pretty dang good. Not $100+ good, but compared nicely to Rare Breed Rye and Pikesville in the $40-50 range.

It is good!  The only thing preventing me from being buyer is the price.  $53 is a great price!

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not sure, but I believe that most driver’s license can be scanned. There’s a barcode on the back. I know they can do that here in Illinois.

I got surprised one time years ago before I quit smoking. I stopped at a gas station to buy a pack of cigarettes. The lady at the counter asked me for my ID. I smiled and took my cap off. 😁 She didn’t think that was funny, and asked me again for my ID. 😬 As I reached for my wallet, I asked her what was going on. I was told that the authorities were cracking down because some underage folks were caught buying cigarettes. To avoid future fines, they were checking the ID of everyone purchasing cigarettes. I  handed her my drivers license, she scanned the back of it, then thanked me as she handed my drivers license back. 🙄

Biba! Joe

Age verification is odd.  Some places just ask my birthdate and enter it.  Others take it off my license.  Others just type in a date they know will allow them to ring up the sale.  I always have my ID out since it is sometimes difficult for the clerk to determine my age as I look like I am only a few days older than 21.  😜

Funny thing is I used to go into bars and liquor stores before I was 21...I was BAAAAD boy.  The first time I was ever carded was on my 21st birthday.  If I had got caught by the server or clerk, I would have just said "oh crap, I need to grab my wallet out of the car and then left." I never had to. I was McLovin before McLovin. The '70s and '80s were a lot different than today.

• I like it 6

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Funny thing is I used to go into bars and liquor stores before I was 21...I was BAAAAD boy.  The first time I was ever carded was on my 21st birthday.  If I had got caught by the server or clerk, I would have just said "oh crap, I need to grab my wallet out of the car and then left." I never had to. I was McLovin before McLovin. The '70s and '80s were a lot different than today.

LOL    As you know mbroo, I grew up in Beech Grove. As soon as I graduated high school, I joined the Army. I got stationed at Fort Harrison, and would often visit and stay at my parents, especially on weekends. I was only 18 and had no problem drinking on post. It was legal. Off post…..Expo Bowl was mentioned in an exchange between us in another thread. I went there with some friends once, shortly after I got stationed at Fort Ben. We all ordered beers. The waitress returned with our beers and asked me for my ID. I gave her my military ID. She gave it back to me and set our beers down and walked away. I was 18, just about to turn 19. Whenever I went to Expo Bowl from then on, I’d always go to the bar that waitress was working at. Anyway, I started bowling a league on Friday nights there. My 21st birthday just so happened to be on a Friday. Me and a few friends were celebrating in the main bar when the waitress mentioned above came in to get something. She noticed us partying and asked what we were celebrating. I told her my 21st birthday. First, I got the look from her. 🙄 Then she shook her head and said something like,  “And here I’ve been serving you for a while now.” Then she smiled, winked and said, “Happy Birthday. Next round is on me.” 😎 Every once in a while. 😙 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

Hey Joe, this past summer, I took my wife and son to the Ft. Harrison State Park.

Well, I grew up in Bloomington, and I'm a little bit younger than you two.

All the stores and bars in B-town check your ID like you're crossing an international border.

The excise police love to write tickets down there.  I've heard they even send older looking underage people to try and make purchases.

• I like it 2

Might of went overboard.  The one labeled 8 year is Haitian rum.

The Fighting Cock was a 6 year old.  

Tom Moore was $22, pretty cheap, heck the Kirkland BIB is  $30 for a liter.

32617325-FBFF-4354-90A4-F6CE60B6A825.thumb.jpeg.1da987f5f783308b052c9300f912774b.jpeg

• I like it 4

These came in the mail yesterday.  I just opened the box this morning.  
I’m hoping the next quarter’s shipment will be the 120 and 125 proof dna editions

D6780C75-28C5-4BDB-8C56-A1F16DF0CC80.jpeg

A1F08B91-5799-4AF8-AAA3-EB05BEB43182.jpeg

F88EDF0C-4F70-40CF-8046-57007EDBCC87.jpeg

• I like it 7

Well, I didn’t lie. I went ahead and restocked my RR 10 today. And I’ve already cracked it too, if you couldn’t tell.

Also grabbed another Old Tub for the bunker, and an OGD BiB - which I haven’t had around in a while. 

CF2BBAAE-D511-41E5-905D-B111AC054B82.jpeg

• I like it 8

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

I’m hoping the next quarter’s shipment will be the 120 and 125 proof dna editions

Man, you get all the cool toys.  What is this?

376068118_OFBiB.jpg.0a671dcf2806eddf08ca994444d45fb1.jpg

Being a fan of the 1920, I've been casually hunting for the BiB; as members were raving about it, months back.   So when I finally saw it on the retail shelf yesterday, I over paid ($52 at Total Wine) for a bottle.  Now I'm wondering if I should blow another $22 on the 100 proof, to do a comparison.

So help save me a few dollars.  Is the BiB that much better than the 100 proof ?

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Man, you get all the cool toys.  What is this?

The drop is a program you can sign up for that ships direct to you.  I think only 2 or 3 areas eligible now.

As far as the dna project, 

https://bourbonveach.com/2021/08/23/makers-mark-barrel-entry-proof-project-dna-project/

Edited by markandrex
CSFS
  • I like it 1

20 hours ago, markandrex said:

I just checked the website and they are schedule for the next drop , 2/22.  I see a serious SBS tasting in the Spring.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

The drop is a program you can sign up for that ships direct to you.  I think only 2 or 3 areas eligible now.

As far as the dna project, 

https://bourbonveach.com/2021/08/23/makers-mark-barrel-entry-proof-project-dna-project/

That sound like an awesome project.  Congratulations getting to participate.  

6 hours ago, LGC said:

I'm wondering if I should blow another $22 on the 100 proof, to do a comparison.

So help save me a few dollars.  Is the BiB that much better than the 100 proof ?

You should definitely go back and buy the OF100, it's fantastic. Then do a blind side by side of the 2 to see which you prefer. 

I've never had them together.

• I like it 2

54 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

You should definitely go back and buy the OF100, it's fantastic. Then do a blind side by side of the 2 to see which you prefer. 

I've never had them together.

Adding to this...

Having my 1st taste of OF100 tonight. It's a little hotter than the 1910 & Statesman, but I think more flavorful than either. I've yet to try the 1897. So many choices; You have to make your own decision, however a $20 investment ain't too shabby in this hobby.

• I like it 2

Never seen these before so I thought why not? Now just need to find the Uncut Unfiltered version...

A0EC87C5-A89D-493A-9A09-1FF9E33B22A3.jpeg

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, LGC said:

Being a fan of the 1920, I've been casually hunting for the BiB; as members were raving about it, months back.   So when I finally saw it on the retail shelf yesterday, I over paid ($52 at Total Wine) for a bottle.  Now I'm wondering if I should blow another $22 on the 100 proof, to do a comparison.

I basically only drink three OF products. OF86, OF100, and OF1920. (And BP barrel picks when I can get them). I've always been underwhelmed by the BIBs. They aren't bad, I just can't see paying the price when I get so much enjoyment out of the 100. Little known tip - the 100 is about 6yrs old so given the price and the flavor this is one of the great bargains in bourbon.

• I like it 3

Ended a three week drought and purchased a RRSiB picked by my store (I was not involved) and a KCSiB pick that I did have the chance to try the three available samples and ranked the same barrel as the best option. 

Planning on cracking both tonight and will post pictures and thoughts then. Excited!

• I like it 4

Stopped at a small place I'd not been before and found some JB Bonded, which has apparently been discontinued and MIA here since spring/early summer.  A nice surprise, even had a decent price, unlike most everything else there.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.