What bourbon did you pass on fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

36 minutes ago, Smokey the Pig said:

Left a Weller White Label on the shelf at $899.00. I've seen it at $550 and let it rest as well.

Ouch! 😬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ouch! 😬

Biba! Joe

Good going Joe, such self restraint in honorable! Haha! Hope you are enjoying retirement.

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, ptman2000 said:

Ouch!10EF68A3-9F78-4C7A-B44B-B552E11EC8AB.jpeg.51ff7eb01337665df9276d815a43dacb.jpeg

little insane for a '95.  could get an '80 for this.  I think maybe '95 could easily be had for $5k.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:26 AM, steven s said:

EHT sm batch...... $129 !! 

I see it for $100 around me and it sells instantly.

7 hours ago, ptman2000 said:

Ouch!10EF68A3-9F78-4C7A-B44B-B552E11EC8AB.jpeg.51ff7eb01337665df9276d815a43dacb.jpeg

When I first found out about those, I looked, but found no precise details describing what's actually in the bottle (other than it's made by BT).  I can't imagine what could justify it cost so much.  I can't recall reading any sort of objective tasting reviews either.  I honestly think those were meant never to be opened - a piece of pop art for display only (ridiculous in my opinion). 🤪

4 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I see it for $100 around me and it sells instantly.

Where?  I still get my CEHT SmB locally for $34.99 OTD fairly regular-like.   😉

10 hours ago, ptman2000 said:

Hell, that's just walking around money for Jed Clampett.

32 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

Hell, that's just walking around money for Jed Clampett.

• I like it 1

Passed on a bunch of Henry McKenna BIB for $90 and HH 7yr BIB for $79 or $80.  I’d buy the HMcK at maybe up to $45 but not way at $90.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

When I first found out about those, I looked, but found no precise details describing what's actually in the bottle (other than it's made by BT).  I can't imagine what could justify it cost so much.  I can't recall reading any sort of objective tasting reviews either.  I honestly think those were meant never to be opened - a piece of pop art for display only (ridiculous in my opinion). 🤪

They have a 93 at the local steakhouse, looks unopened in the link but I’ve been there and it’s definitely been opened. $475, someone has some explaining to do on there expense report.  Bottle isn’t even in its fancy glass container.

https://georgiajamessteak.com/#spirits

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Sounds dreamy. It wins all the blinds I put it in.

I live just on the city line of Boston so everything can be marked up and people open their wallets. We talked about this last year with Weller products, too.

Like:

Stagg Jr, never seen under $300

Weller 12 for $300

CEHT for $100+

Seen 2 Old Fitz BiB 11 for $500 this month

Saw a CEHT Rye for $200, once, and left it on the shelf. Thought about just eating it because I LOVE the CEHT SmB so much and I love rye so I figured it's just a one time pay. Went back the next day and it was gone haha.

I think my area struggles with the, "I'll never see it around here again so why not" attitude and it's why stores can continually post things for full secondary (sometimes plus) and not think twice about it. If it sells, why not continue to post them at stupid prices?

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Where? Next time I drive thru Mass going up to NH, I'll stop. Rarely see it in NJ and when I do, $200+.

6 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

Where? Next time I drive thru Mass going up to NH, I'll stop. Rarely see it in NJ and when I do, $200+.

Stop by my house - I'll have one for you! Offer good for @Kjbarth - sorry.  😅😅😅

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I'd be all over that all day long!  Ohio gets it very very occasionally, but you've gotta be quick.  And it's 39.99.  I'm lucky if I get a bottle a year.  I did manage to get a couple bottles at the BT Gift Shop when we visited earlier this year, think it was 42.99?

2 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Sounds dreamy. It wins all the blinds I put it in.

I live just on the city line of Boston so everything can be marked up and people open their wallets. We talked about this last year with Weller products, too.

Like:

Stagg Jr, never seen under $300

Weller 12 for $300

CEHT for $100+

Seen 2 Old Fitz BiB 11 for $500 this month

Saw a CEHT Rye for $200, once, and left it on the shelf. Thought about just eating it because I LOVE the CEHT SmB so much and I love rye so I figured it's just a one time pay. Went back the next day and it was gone haha.

I think my area struggles with the, "I'll never see it around here again so why not" attitude and it's why stores can continually post things for full secondary (sometimes plus) and not think twice about it. If it sells, why not continue to post them at stupid prices?

It doesn't get any better further out in the state. (I'm in the Framingham/Natick area). A few years ago any CEHT except barrel proof was easily found at most places. One could stumble on a Stagg Jr or two whenever they dropped. I've never seen a W12 on the shelf, but barrel picks of Antique were easy to come by. Now it's a different hobby all together. I read recently that a bottle of Old Rip goes for ~$1000 on secondary. heckin insane.

• I like it 1

Ventured back out into the wild today to see if I was crazy. Traveled to a new part of Mass and new place and same results.

And no real surprises, to me, all the CEHT SmB's were all sold out at $100.

CBB36762-68CD-4957-B636-90AEEED82858.jpeg

7AFB8C17-9B4B-4A03-BE1F-ED5655269980.jpeg

E5F9AB14-3B64-47BD-9674-C9EBADAAD7BA.jpeg

Not really a pass.  More like a skip since I didn't venture to the store to see if there were any on the shelf.  A local chain announced two FRSiB BS - OBSK and OESQ - to me and 10,000 other bourbon hunters right before lunch today.  My guess is these didn't last long. Both were around 10 years old.  They were priced $79.99.  I miss the days when all 10 recipes were on the shelf for $49.99 and occasionally on sale for $44.99.

• I like it 4

On 12/4/2021 at 12:26 AM, steven s said:

EHT sm batch...... $129 !! 

$90 is getting to be the norm around me, but I've also seen $129.

Elmer T. Lee 750ml  - $399

Russel Reserve Barrel Proof 13 - $399

Four Roses Small Batch LE - $499

I walked out without even saying thank you for him asking my pricing questions.

5 minutes ago, Richdel said:

Sighhhhh.😒

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 12/9/2021 at 6:00 PM, Richdel said:

OMG ...hard pass on all....Especially the ETL  

Meanwhile my local Pennsy State Store has plentiful bottles of Alberta Premium Cask Strength for $69.95 a pop.   That's not cheap,  but it rivals in proof and quality the BTAC alternatives which are either non-existent or go for $500 and up on the secondary.    

Good whiskey at sane prices is still out there. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Meanwhile my local Pennsy State Store has plentiful bottles of Alberta Premium Cask Strength for $69.95 a pop.   That's not cheap,  but it rivals in proof and quality the BTAC alternatives which are either non-existent or go for $500 and up on the secondary.    

Good whiskey at sane prices is still out there. 

I agree on the comparables, if it had a BTAC label it would be universally loved.   Thank goodness it does not!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.