What bourbon did you pass on fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Meanwhile my local Pennsy State Store has plentiful bottles of Alberta Premium Cask Strength for $69.95 a pop.   That's not cheap,  but it rivals in proof and quality the BTAC alternatives which are either non-existent or go for $500 and up on the secondary.    

Good whiskey at sane prices is still out there. 

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof is  insanely good and, at ~ $69.00 retail, a very sane price for a very good whiskey.

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof is  insanely good and, at ~ $69.00 retail, a very sane price for a very good whiskey.

I've had the JD Barrel Select but never the Barrel Proof.   Thanks for the rec!

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

The Ohio picks have been crazy good!   In fact, they usually come out this time every year.   Wonder if we are getting them this year?

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, geclbxf said:

The Ohio picks have been crazy good!   In fact, they usually come out this time every year.   Wonder if we are getting them this year?

Nice!  

There's a LS, near our son's house about 40 minutes away, who does stellar picks at reasonable prices and one of the few in the area that lets you "try before you buy"

They did one for the JDSBBP that are out of this world and for $5.00 less than what they're charging for the standard JDSBBP on the shelf.

I get one almost every time we're in the neighborhood.  I think I have 4-5 bottles.    Why these haven't flown off the shelves faster is a head-scratcher.

I'm guessing that people equate the barrel proof with the Old Number 7 and it scares them off.   Good.  More for me!

I dread the day when the lightbulbs go off and people start buying it up.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

It's very, very, good and reasonably priced.     

Like many barrel proofers, I drink it over an ice sphere,  or a few ice chips, or with a splash.

I prefer the ice ball, because it evolves nicely as it melts.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

On 12/4/2021 at 12:26 AM, steven s said:

EHT sm batch...... $129 !! 

Yup, I'm seeing it at $100-130 in stores that used to sell it at sane prices. Just saw ER at $90. Twice the price seems to be a good deal if you don't find it at an MSRP store. I bought my last EHT SmB and ER at my local Jewel-Osco grocery store at $45 and $35 respectively, I got lucky with my timing.

• I like it 2

Recently passed on a Lucky 7 14-yr barrel pick at $140.  A couple of reviewers have recommended it as a substitute for unavailable GTS but I'm not sure.

I wasn’t going to buy this anyway, but I had to look.😉

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.8d34beb7eb500d816925a4f1d117129e.jpeg

• I like it 3

My local barrel picking magician just recently released an SAOS SB from Barrel 53 barrels.  Yes, I bought five bottles of "Sarah" SAOS!!  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Guss West said:

My local barrel picking magician just recently released an SAOS SB from Barrel 53 barrels.  Yes, I bought five bottles of "Sarah" SAOS!!  

Atta Boy Guss! 

image.gif.276b7bbbaff3842f9eb878d7b362a082.gif

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Guss West said:

I have never bought nor tried a SAOS but I ALWAYS turn the bottles over to see if Sarah picked it or not and I now know why haha.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

@fishnbowljoeWhy should I buy my first SAOS? What am I missing?

The SAOS’s from a few years ago were pretty good. They were made with older MGP distillate.Things being what they are in the bourbon world nowadays, the age of the distillate used for SAOS has gotten younger. SAOS is still pretty decent, but not quite as good as it used to be. FWIW, all SAOS bottles are signed by whoever seals them on the bottling line. Sarah is the fan favorite here. If you ever do buy a SAOS, be sure to post a pic of the back of the bottle showing who sealed it. 😉 Just trying to save you some grief. 😆

Biba! Joe

9 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

@fishnbowljoeWhy should I buy my first SAOS? What am I missing?

The current SAOS releases are 5 to 6 yr MGP bourbon bottled at cask strength and sell for around $50.  The couple that I've tried have been very good and worth the price.  They are a single barrel product so can vary but I think they are definitely worth a try..

• I like it 1

The SAOS on the shelf here is their regular bottlling at 99 proof. The cost is usually round $39.99, but every once in a while it can be found on sale for as low as $32.99.

Pennsy sells the regular SAOS for $35,  sometimes discounted to $30.   At that price it's become a favorite daily drinker,  although admittedly I'm a big fan of MGP's high rye bourbon mashbill.   It's not as old as pricier versions (like Belle Meade Reserve, which is superb) but at 5-6 years it's old enough and good enough to be part of my regular rotation.

• I like it 1

Yep, this SAOS single barrel pick is six year old MGP bottled at cask strength for $50.  Not too shabby.  

I'm a sucker for good MGP bourbon and rye; and one can certainly pay a lot more for a lot less in the whiskey aisle these days.  Pinhook, George Remus, Belle Meade, Backbone, and SAOS are all MGP favorites.  

I wonder if Sarah knows she is a parasocial bourbon celebrity here in this little corner of the interwebz?  I've not had a bad bottle of SAOS with Sarah's name on it; so it's become de-facto assurance of quality among some of us SAOS fans.  

• I like it 1

Just so you know, Jordan and Sarah are the same person.  “Sarah“ is just Jordan in drag. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Just so you know, Jordan and Sarah are the same person.  “Sarah“ is just Jordan in drag. 

Not that there anything wrong with that....😉

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

appreciate you doing some in depth research on this and letting us know.  Your commitment to the greater education of the forum doesn’t go unnoticed.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

You pulling our leg right?  I seem to recall they used to have photos on their website but I never bothered to really look closely. 

Edited by Kepler

Yeah, they used to have some of the employees profiles on the website, but that seems to have changed.

Bottler’s names I’ve seen recently are:

James

Jordan

Deanna

& Sarah 

I found Sarah on google.

CB6D7B49-6002-402E-BA20-A433CFFCD60E.jpeg

• I like it 5

16 hours ago, Richdel said:

Not that there anything wrong with that....😉

Heehee!  Not judging here, either!! 😄

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

appreciate you doing some in depth research on this and letting us know.  Your commitment to the greater education of the forum doesn’t go unnoticed.

There was that time in the late 80’s in Club Rio’s basement level and RuPaul was performing…🤣🤣

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.