What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

31 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

😀😀😀

Is it me or are the emojis not working lately?  All I see is a blue box with a question mark.

• I like it 3

On 12/31/2022 at 7:08 PM, mbroo5880i said:

The fact that it is single barrel and significantly more expensive is the reason on passed on it today.  I believe the price was in the low $60s.  Just not interested in it since it went to single barrel.  The two single barrel versions that I have had were mediocre at best.  They continue to mismanage this brand. I am not certain what profile they are looking to achieve.  For less $$, I can get KC12 or KCSiB.  

On 12/31/2022 at 7:36 PM, flahute said:

Yep! I avoided it at first and then decided to try it. It was great so I acquiesced and bought another. It was terrible and I struggled to finish it (and may have drain poured the final quarter of it) so I now refuse to buy it again.

I don't know, y'all might be overreacting just a tad.  I'm currently sipping on an 8 yr 6 month Baker's SiB while comparing it directly to the old standby 7 yr Small Batch.  I'm on record here on these pages as absolutely loving Baker's 7 Small Batch, but this SiB is holding its own and actually beating it in some specific ways.  It has a much longer and flavorful finish compared to the SmB.  The SmB finish is short and unremarkable by comparison.  The nose on the single barrel is also better.  The palate on the Small Batch is ever so slightly more to my liking, probably because it is younger whiskey.  It has more of that classic fruit forward Baker's flavor that I am so fond of.  I am going to keep an eye out for a younger barrel of the new bottle style to explore more.

But I get single barrel variation and perhaps I just got lucky with this barrel.  That's one thing we Baker's fans always loved about the expression:  it was always so damned reliable and consistent.  Just a damn good pour  you could always rely on.  It's a shame they went to a single barrel model.  I'm also not a fan of the new bottle style... it's a bit too fussy for my tastes.  I prefer the inconspicuous wine bottle of classic Baker's.  Oh well, at least they kept the 107 proof the same -- which happens to be the perfect proof for this mash bill. 

But the biggest problem with the new Baker's is the MSRP.  It's jumped the shark. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

Is it me or are the emojis not working lately?  All I see is a blue box with a question mark.

I thought it was my out of date OS. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

But the biggest problem with the new Baker's is the MSRP.  It's jumped the shark. 

That is the crux of the matter for me. If it wasn't so damn expensive (especially here in WA state with our taxes) I'd keep going to it despite the single barrel variation. I can get KC12 for less money so I'll keep doing that.

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, flahute said:

That is the crux of the matter for me. If it wasn't so damn expensive (especially here in WA state with our taxes) I'd keep going to it despite the single barrel variation. I can get KC12 for less money so I'll keep doing that.

I’ll weigh in here. I recently finished a “ new” Baker’s 8yrs, 2 months. It was every bit as good as the “old wine bottle “ 7yr SmB, but with the fun lottery of a SiB.  I have opened up a different SiB, we will see how it goes. I suppose the silver lining for me, if I don’t care for the rebranding of Baker’s, I have more older Baker’s bunkered than I think I able to consume. Winning, ;-)). 

Beam products have always been on the high side in Oklahoma. So, the $18 increase from the previous version is a hit to the budget.

In my area the KC12 & Baker’s are very close in price and scarcity. So a bit of a toss up there, It really comes down to which bottle a person enjoys the most. For me, at least for now, Baker’s wins. Who knows what the future brings. 

Cheers

• I like it 3

53 minutes ago, flahute said:

I definitely hear you.  Although to me KC is a slightly different profile than Baker's and I don't necessarily consider the two to be vying for my same purchasing budget.  But both KC and Baker's are on the same level as far as complexity and quality go, and clearly the Baker's taste profile (despite being as classic "bourbon" as it is) cannot really support the $60 to $67 asking price that I currently see in my market.  I'm glad I bought my Baker's single barrel bottles when the new style was first introduced and when Beam kept the price closer to the price of the old small batch.  I think I paid $45 or $49 for these 8 yr 6 month bottles and bought multiples.  This barrel is a good and I got lucky.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

In my area the KC12 & Baker’s are very close in price and scarcity. So a bit of a toss up there, It really comes down to which bottle a person enjoys the most.

Same for me in Texas.  KC12 is practically an LE in these parts and is chased by the new taters.  Subsequently, shelf price for KC12 is all over the place;  if you see it actually sitting on the shelf it is just as likely to be more expensive than Baker's than it is to be less expensive.  At least Baker's SiB is consistent around the low- to mid-60 dollar range. 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 2

21 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Same for me in Texas.  KC12 is practically an LE in these parts and is chased by the new taters. At least Baker's SiB is consistent around the low- to mid-60 dollar range. 🤷‍♂️

In The Great State of Oklahoma, Beam products seem to be hot & cold (“ I don’t like the peanut flavor,”  says the Okie Tater as he munches on the PB&J , his Mommy prepared and carried down to the basement for him.) But if an Oklahoma Tater hears the word allocated, well neighbor, they will knock over their Mommy &  Granny,  to grab any bottle, including Baker’s or KC12. Then promptly try to flip for 2X msrp. 

So, both are also kinda rare here…….Sigh. 

Cheers 

6 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

(“ I don’t like the peanut flavor,”  says the Okie Tater as he munches on the PB&J , his Mommy prepared and carried down to the basement for him.) But if an Oklahoma Tater hears the word allocated, well neighbor, they will knock over their Mommy &  Granny,  to grab any bottle, including Baker’s or KC12. Then promptly try to flip for 2X msrp. 

🤣🤣🤣

Passed on a VA ABC Old Elk pick. It's allocated and  was reasonably priced, but  I have a couple older picks, done elsewhere,  that are excellent, but I just don't need anymore...

On 1/14/2023 at 11:49 PM, Kepler said:

I don't know, y'all might be overreacting just a tad.  I'm currently sipping on an 8 yr 6 month Baker's SiB while comparing it directly to the old standby 7 yr Small Batch.  I'm on record here on these pages as absolutely loving Baker's 7 Small Batch, but this SiB is holding its own and actually beating it in some specific ways.  It has a much longer and flavorful finish compared to the SmB.  The SmB finish is short and unremarkable by comparison.  The nose on the single barrel is also better.  The palate on the Small Batch is ever so slightly more to my liking, probably because it is younger whiskey.  It has more of that classic fruit forward Baker's flavor that I am so fond of.  I am going to keep an eye out for a younger barrel of the new bottle style to explore more.

But I get single barrel variation and perhaps I just got lucky with this barrel.  That's one thing we Baker's fans always loved about the expression:  it was always so damned reliable and consistent.  Just a damn good pour  you could always rely on.  It's a shame they went to a single barrel model.  I'm also not a fan of the new bottle style... it's a bit too fussy for my tastes.  I prefer the inconspicuous wine bottle of classic Baker's.  Oh well, at least they kept the 107 proof the same -- which happens to be the perfect proof for this mash bill. 

Just curious is yours a standard SiB or a store select.  I have seen several bottles in different stores recently.  The price in my area is around $60 which seems high.  I still think for the price I prefer KC12.

On 1/15/2023 at 12:01 AM, flahute said:

Haha...brilliance at work.  I responded and then I saw your response.  I still think both have a place in the bourbon universe.  I just wish Baker's was better defined.

• I like it 1

On 1/15/2023 at 1:07 AM, Wedelstaedt said:

I’ll weigh in here. I recently finished a “ new” Baker’s 8yrs, 2 months. It was every bit as good as the “old wine bottle “ 7yr SmB, but with the fun lottery of a SiB.  I have opened up a different SiB, we will see how it goes. I suppose the silver lining for me, if I don’t care for the rebranding of Baker’s, I have more older Baker’s bunkered than I think I able to consume. Winning, ;-)). 

Beam products have always been on the high side in Oklahoma. So, the $18 increase from the previous version is a hit to the budget.

In my area the KC12 & Baker’s are very close in price and scarcity. So a bit of a toss up there, It really comes down to which bottle a person enjoys the most. For me, at least for now, Baker’s wins. Who knows what the future brings. 

Cheers

For the $60 that Bakers cost, I can grab a FRSiB and OF100.  Hmmm....the choice seems easy.

On 1/15/2023 at 1:14 AM, Kepler said:

Same for me in Texas.  KC12 is practically an LE in these parts and is chased by the new taters.  Subsequently, shelf price for KC12 is all over the place;  if you see it actually sitting on the shelf it is just as likely to be more expensive than Baker's than it is to be less expensive.  At least Baker's SiB is consistent around the low- to mid-60 dollar range. 🤷‍♂️

This makes me smile.  A bourbon that Indiana has regularly that is practically an LE in Texas.  The inverse of Wellers.  😀

• I like it 3

40 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just curious is yours a standard SiB or a store select.  I have seen several bottles in different stores recently.  The price in my area is around $60 which seems high.  I still think for the price I prefer KC12.

Just the standard one.  The only store select Bakers I've heard about are the extra-aged limited edition version that comes in a silver box.  Never seen it in person however.

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

This makes me smile.  A bourbon that Indiana has regularly that is practically an LE in Texas.  The inverse of Wellers.  😀

See, things always seem to balance out 😀

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.