What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

KC18 @ $200. Disappointed cause I really like the rest of the line. I think $170 is the msrp so the Beam folks must be smoking something.

I'm not sure about Beam pricing, either.  Passed on the latest Booker's at $129 and the basic KC 9yr at $37, and this is the store that used to sell the KC 750s at $23 when other locals were approaching $30.  Maybe Beam saw Saz/BT getting away with outrageous pricing (basic BT 90 at $35 neans it hangs around on the shelf at least two days), particularly on the BTAC.

15 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Not that it matters but.. 15, 20, or 23 year?

15 year, what do they go for in the US?

Passed on Remus Gatsby Reserve and Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend. $199 each, so not outrageous (relative to MSRP). I lucked out and was there as they stocked them. Would I enjoy either 5x as much as Four Roses Single Barrel? I would not. Curiosity nearly got me.

I also passed on Larceny BP at $65, which I do routinely of late. I am not a big wheater guy, but I've had a couple of good store picks of the standard Larceny. Barrel Proof gets solid reviews. But again, I could walk out with RR SiB or a handle of KC9 or a JDSBBP or a store pick of KC SiB and have some money left over for a burger. For the record, C522 hasn't hit here yet. This is B522. If you guys tell me it's worth it, I may snag it. I do enjoy MM101 and MMCS, but the only wheater I've every really gone nuts for is OWA back when it carried an age statement. I need some spice!

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

$189 MSRP 

i have seen (and passed) in stores for $1800-$2300

insane!

Passed on RR SiB at $52 in a local supermarket.  Great price, but I have a couple bunkered and I am trying to buy less.  They also had Eagle Rare on the shelf at $32.  I wish I liked it.

19 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I'm not sure about Beam pricing, either.  Passed on the latest Booker's at $129 and the basic KC 9yr at $37, and this is the store that used to sell the KC 750s at $23 when other locals were approaching $30.  Maybe Beam saw Saz/BT getting away with outrageous pricing (basic BT 90 at $35 neans it hangs around on the shelf at least two days), particularly on the BTAC.

Basic BT is still $25 ish here. I believe BTAC still has MSRP of $99. 

Headed up to my farm the other day and stopped in a small town gas station that I have snagged a few decent bottles at fair prices from in the past. They had some Eagle Rare and Blanton's for the fair price of $199 each. They had a JD 10yr as well, but I was afraid to ask the price after hearing the price of the previous two. Really sucks that there is a new owner of this gas station and now they are price gouging on their decent bourbons.

On 12/29/2022 at 3:57 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, while Booker's is $99 around here and Baker's is $65-70 (which is insane IMO as it's the least interesting small batch bourbon Beam makes), KC9 is still under $30, and I could go pick up three different and very good store picks of the KC SiB for $50-53/ea. within 15 minutes of my house. I think bourbon pricing in general is all over the map right now as stores try to see how much markup they can get away with, heritage producers toy with price increases, and NDPs use online hype machines to get top dollar for repackaged MGP. For instance, I have seen OGD BIB for $23 and $32 at two large stores minutes apart. One of the stores mostly sells to regulars who have their favorites; the other sells a ton of stuff to hipsters and folks dropping in while shopping at overpriced boutiques nearby.

Hopefully it levels off soon.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot: I passed on WT Single Rickhouse today. It wasn't easy, but $280 is roughly 3x as much as I've ever spent on a bottle. That said, I did break the triple digit barrier today, but that's for another thread.

I passed on a lot of bourbon including on WTRB for $48.99 which is a good price in my area.  Plenty on the shelf so I can go back later.  I also passed on a couple of interesting ryes.  Hard Truth Sweet Mash ($64.99) and Alberta Premium Cask Strength ($69.99).  I have heard good things about both.  I have seen the Sweet Mash on the shelf for awhile.  This is the first time I have ever seen the Alberta CS.    

On 12/29/2022 at 11:16 AM, mbroo5880i said:

I saw that when I looked it up on line later.  It had been quite a while since I had seen one on the shelf.

I will be heading back to the store today and might pick one up out of curiosity.  However, I suspect they are all gone.  There were only two bottles.  Sometimes I feel like there is only so much I can and want to get.  In this case, the price wasn't as much of a factor as there might be other bottles I prefer.  I would be more drawn to it if I could try it first or if it were small batch instead of single barrel.  

It's a wheater,  and generally a good one.   I agree I'd prefer a small batch to a single barrel,  especially since the small batch could be sold for 20 bucks less.   

• I like it 1

On 12/29/2022 at 11:16 AM, mbroo5880i said:

I saw that when I looked it up on line later.  It had been quite a while since I had seen one on the shelf.

I will be heading back to the store today and might pick one up out of curiosity.  However, I suspect they are all gone.  There were only two bottles.  Sometimes I feel like there is only so much I can and want to get.  In this case, the price wasn't as much of a factor as there might be other bottles I prefer.  I would be more drawn to it if I could try it first or if it were small batch instead of single barrel.  

This s*%t was long gone. I am going back tomorrow and will talk with the manager to see if he has any in the back.

1 minute ago, Jazzhead said:

It's a wheater,  and generally a good one.   I agree I'd prefer a small batch to a single barrel,  especially since the small batch could be sold for 20 bucks less.   

🖕🖕🖕

Edited by mbroo5880i

700 ml Blanton's regular SiB for 70 Euros, tax included.  Thankfully someone else bought them all.

But I did get the Gold, SFTB, and W12.  Will post once I go back over there and pick them up.

• I like it 4

23 hours ago, TBoner said:

....... and Baker's is $65-70 (which is insane IMO as it's the least interesting small batch bourbon Beam makes)......

Baker's is a single barrel now and they made a very conscious decision to try to take it upscale hence the new price.

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, flahute said:

Baker's is a single barrel now and they made a very conscious decision to try to take it upscale hence the new price.

The fact that it is single barrel and significantly more expensive is the reason on passed on it today.  I believe the price was in the low $60s.  Just not interested in it since it went to single barrel.  The two single barrel versions that I have had were mediocre at best.  They continue to mismanage this brand. I am not certain what profile they are looking to achieve.  For less $$, I can get KC12 or KCSiB.  

• I like it 2

I agree completely with the above statements with one caveat.  Their extra aged (11.8 & 13) that I have had are a totally different animal over the standard 7 year.

• I like it 3

25 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

The fact that it is single barrel and significantly more expensive is the reason on passed on it today.  I believe the price was in the low $60s.  Just not interested in it since it went to single barrel.  The two single barrel versions that I have had were mediocre at best.  They continue to mismanage this brand. I am not certain what profile they are looking to achieve.  For less $$, I can get KC12 or KCSiB.  

Yep! I avoided it at first and then decided to try it. It was great so I acquiesced and bought another. It was terrible and I struggled to finish it (and may have drain poured the final quarter of it) so I now refuse to buy it again.

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

ouch. I have had good fortune over the last many years in my part of CO. That looks to be changing, if what i saw today is any indication. needless to say I passed on all of these. I was wanting to buy some RR10 and EW1783, and saw them at decent prices, but couldn't bring myself to support the stores that priced things as below. The guy with the Old Rip for 800 said "they go for $1400 online", and as I was leaving said he would throw in a Larceny BP (for free!) if I bought the old rip for 800. PASS

Bookers (lots) $200

WSR (lots) 50

eagle rare 60

parkers heritage 11 year wheat 1100

ORVW10 800

ECBP 109

Larceny BP 109

RRSiB- 75

baby saz 50

• I like it 3

Liquor Barn had their wristband lottery for Pappy/BTAC/ similar LE this morning.  You needed to be in line and the wristbands were handed out from 0700 - 0830. Drawing started at 0900.  I’m not certain on the bottle count but we drove by at 0730 on the way to breakfast.  I would say at least 350 in line wrapping around the building.
At 32 degrees outside, I’ll take eggs Benedict, home fries and coffee any day!  I am way too old and satisfied with what I have for that type of nonsense.

• I like it 8

Fournd  myself in Winchester TN this afternoon on non-bourbon related business, and stopped in a LS and hard passed on a Lot B for $1300 (he had two)  and a Weller FP for $350. He did have Knob Creek 12 on the shelf for $79, which is pretty much retail in these parts, but I passed on principle. 

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 2

7 hours ago, markandrex said:

Liquor Barn had their wristband lottery for Pappy/BTAC/ similar LE this morning.  You needed to be in line and the wristbands were handed out from 0700 - 0830. Drawing started at 0900.  I’m not certain on the bottle count but we drove by at 0730 on the way to breakfast.  I would say at least 350 in line wrapping around the building.
At 32 degrees outside, I’ll take eggs Benedict, home fries and coffee any day!  I am way too old and satisfied with what I have for that type of nonsense.

Of course, you could just let one of your neighbors stand in line and then end up with the bottle by winning a friendly wager.  😀

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Of course, you could just let one of your neighbors stand in line and then end up with the bottle by winning a friendly wager.  😀

🤔. That works tool, who’s playing?😁

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.