What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

McKenna 10 yr $99.00

EC 18 yr $349.00

ECBP  $89.00 (not sure what batch)

KC12 $69.99

Beam single barrel $48.99

Now you can tell Mrs.Skinsfan, "Honey, look!  I saved us $655.98 today!" 

Think she'll buy it?

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Thomm said:

Now you can tell Mrs.Skinsfan, "Honey, look!  I saved us $655.98 today!" 

Think she'll buy it?

I wish!

Truth be told, she indulges me and doesn't care what I spend on whiskey.   

• I like it 6

On 12/11/2022 at 7:31 PM, geclbxf said:

I agree good choice - I would have been tempted by the HH17

The HH17 is incredible. Probably my choice, but I know what it tastes like. Absent that knowledge I also likely go for the Rip.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:43 PM, Jazzhead said:

I know they raised the price,  but I think it's worth a Benjamin.   I love RRR VI;  it doesn't have the age of RRR V but taste tells - it's a lip smacker.

I agree it's probably worth a benjamin in today's market, but I have enough cases of great 10-11 year BP MGP that I'm passing on the RRR once it went past $75 a couple years ago.

10 hours ago, mal00768 said:

EC 18 @ $250 

Don't see these often but this felt about $50 smackeroos too high.

Actually about $100 "smackeroos" too high from our friends up in the "Live Free or Die" state.  🤢

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Actually about $100 "smackeroos" too high from our friends up in the "Live Free or Die" state.  🤢

Yes Frank. Was $159 at a lotterythe other day but i had picked another bottle. First time i had seen it at msrp. Usually $199-$250 here. 

Passed on Willett Wheated 8 Year ($259), Russell's Reserve Single Rickhouse ($259), and  Remus Gatsby Reserve ($229).  I am sure they are great, but not dropping that much cash for those 3 until I have tried them at a friend's house or bar.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Passed on Willett Wheated 8 Year ($259), Russell's Reserve Single Rickhouse ($259), and  Remus Gatsby Reserve ($229).  I am sure they are great, but not dropping that much cash for those 3 until I have tried them at a friend's house or bar.

Have heard first two are underwhelming. Heard good things about Gatsby but heard it has a real dumb name 😆.. Wish it was about $75 cheaper. 

• I like it 2

Garrison Brothers. Picked up a bottle today on a recommendation.  IMHO awful. Let it breath for 10 minutes. Hope it opens up. Thoughts? Save for an expensive mixer? 

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Garrison Brothers. Picked up a bottle today on a recommendation.  IMHO awful. Let it breath for 10 minutes. Hope it opens up. Thoughts? Save for an expensive mixer? 

Solera time.   I've had the GB,  and it gave me the heebie-jeebies.    Just odd, like burnt rubber and chocolate if I recall.  And recall is all I'm gonna do -   one and done.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Have heard first two are underwhelming. Heard good things about Gatsby but heard it has a real dumb name 😆.. Wish it was about $75 cheaper. 

The funny thing about Gatsby - in the novel, he's not a drinker (everyone else is).  The one instance in the story he has an adult beverage, it's Green Chartreus. 🤔

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Grady330 said:

GB is one of about 25 bottles I samples at a recent Bottle Share party.  Not good for me.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Solera time.   I've had the GB,  and it gave me the heebie-jeebies.    Just odd, like burnt rubber and chocolate if I recall.  And recall is all I'm gonna do -   one and done.

Really strange taste, almost like smelling oak shavings but in taste.  Holidays are good times to put it out there in view( hopefully save some volume of other favorites !!!)

23 hours ago, Grady330 said:

I have never liked anything that they produce. 

Literally, undrinkable for the first several years.  The last couple bottles that I tasted from were dreadful, but better those earlier ones…. But, dreadful is dreadful…

• I like it 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:00 PM, mal00768 said:

EC 18 @ $250 

Don't see these often but this felt about $50 smackeroos too high.

Haaaa-Ha!    The last bottle of EC 18 I bought only set me back about $50 + tax.   If memory serves, I paid $49.95 +.   That ticked me off after having bought a few during previous years for almost ten bux less than that.    So, I vowed not to buy it again, unless it came down.    I caved about 3-months later and grabbed one more at $50, which I've yet to open.    I gaze at it occasionally wondering if it's inferior to the current stuph at 5-or-6-timees the price.    Interesting question, that I don't expect to have answered... unless someone brings a current iteration down to B'town, and I know it's coming.   If so, I'll bring mine down and open 'er up and compare.

• I like it 2

Hancock's Reserve for $139

EHT SmB for $129

OE7 for $89

Weller 12 for $199

HH17 for $1299

Edited by JakeySnakes
  • I like it 4

On 12/18/2022 at 2:44 PM, Grady330 said:

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

I have never liked anything that they produce. 

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Literally, undrinkable for the first several years.  The last couple bottles that I tasted from were dreadful, but better those earlier ones…. But, dreadful is dreadful…

Even thought I live in Texas I've literally never even tasted any of their stuff, and from the sound of it, I'm glad for that.  Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Plain old Blanton's (not a store pick, not a Gold or SFTB or nuffin'!) at $99.99 was a solid pass yesterday!  More than I paid for the Blanton's Gold that I brought to Bardstown a few years back.  We've officially gone nuts!  🤬

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Plain old Blanton's (not a store pick, not a Gold or SFTB or nuffin'!) at $99.99 was a solid pass yesterday!  More than I paid for the Blanton's Gold that I brought to Bardstown a few years back.  We've officially gone nuts!  🤬

I just stopped at a small place today in nowhere, Missouri.  Blanton's was $120, ER10 $90, reg BT $50, W12 $200, 1.75 of WSR $150. 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I just stopped at a small place today in nowhere, Missouri.  Blanton's was $120, ER10 $90, reg BT $50, W12 $200, 1.75 of WSR $150. 🤷‍♂️

There is no rational reason to pay more than MSRP for any Buffalo Trace product.

• I like it 5

19 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

There is no rational reason to pay more than MSRP for any Buffalo Trace product.

I don't know.  That WSR is a "special" and it's "reserved".

• I like it 6

Oddly I've been passing on a lot of MSRP stuff lately simply because I don't find them worth the price point. A few I could've traded or flipped, I guess, but nah. Anyway, things I would've bought at peak Pokemon mindset:

Blanton's @ $69.99

1792 FP @ $51.99

OFSBBP @ $79.99

Booker's @ $99.99

Rebel 10 @ $99.99

Eagle Rare @ $39.99

The only thing I've bought of late that wasn't a standard shelfer was a 4R SiB pick of OBSK. Felt worth it @ $79.99, since I've only seen one other store pick in the last two years, and it was $95.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, TBoner said:

Oddly I've been passing on a lot of MSRP stuff lately simply because I don't find them worth the price point. A few I could've traded or flipped, I guess, but nah. Anyway, things I would've bought at peak Pokemon mindset:

Blanton's @ $69.99

1792 FP @ $51.99

OFSBBP @ $79.99

Booker's @ $99.99

Rebel 10 @ $99.99

Eagle Rare @ $39.99

The only thing I've bought of late that wasn't a standard shelfer was a 4R SiB pick of OBSK. Felt worth it @ $79.99, since I've only seen one other store pick in the last two years, and it was $95.

I feel the same way.  I never thought I would pay over $70 for a FR BS or ECBP.  With the former, I was never confronted with that decision because the few times I have seen it over the past few years was either in a lottery for over $100 or some even more ridiculous price.  I ran across an unannounced FR store barrel pick and they were handing out one bottle per customer.  When I heard the price was $79.99, I was ecstatic.  Same with ECBP, I have grabbed two for $74.99 each over the past month and I am quite happy to have them.  A lot of stores in my area save both for lotteries and charge a ridiculous price.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.