What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a Kentucky Owl Takumi Edition for $129.99.  Honestly, after looking it up on the internet, I am not certain I would pay more than $29.99.  Of course, as a Cheap Bastard, if I were to see it marked 50% off, I might be tempted.  

I passed on a “Bees Knees”.  Don’t know the price, but don’t know anything about it.  

7 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I passed on a “Bees Knees”.  Don’t know the price, but don’t know anything about it.  

20C703BA-D0E1-459F-99A6-474802D990FB.thumb.jpeg.b85866b3f3ed6dcee2d7a7f2b50bdab4.jpeg

this was at books a million today joe. Was a tough one to pass on

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 2

I don’t care about the shirt but depending on the price!😘

image.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 3

18 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Edited by markandrex
Double tap

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I could have gone for that!  😙

If I was 40 years younger.  
To quote the Joker, “I’m like a dog chasing a car, I don’t know what to do with it if I caught it!”

• I like it 2

I technically haven't passed yet cuz these aren't available til the store opens tomorrow, but I am fixin' to pass on a bunch of stuff.  I've gotten a couple of good bottles from them but they are doing a lot of "mystery bundles" where you don't know what the bundle is til you get to the store.  I just can't.  Spelling is from the original source.

1-EAGLE RARE 1.75 STORE PICK COMBO 139.99+
2-EAGLE RARE STORE PICK COMBO 49.99+
3-RUSSLES 13 YEARS COMBO 299.99+
4-RUSSLES RICKHOUSE COMBO 399.99+
5-TAYLOR SMALL BATCH COMBO 69.99+
6-TYALOR SINGLE BARREL STORE PICK COMBO 249.99+
7-TAYLOR STRAIGHT RYE COMBO 199.99+
8-TAYLOR BARREL PROOF COMBO 399.99+
9-WELLER RESERVE 1 L COMBO 89.99+
10-WELLER RESERVE 750 ML COMBO 69.99+
11- WILLETT WHATED AGED 8 YEARS COMBO 399.99+
12-MICHTERS TOASTED NO COMBO 179.99+
13-SHENKS NO COMBO 169.99+
14-BLANTONS STORE PICK COMBO 149.99+
15-HANCOCKS RESERVE NO COMBO 99.99+
16-BOOKERS LITTLE BOOK NO COMBO 149.99
17-BOOKERS KENTUCKY TEA BATCH NO COMBO 109.99+
18-YELLOWSTONE 101 PROOF 149.99+
19-REBBEL AGED 10 YEARS 109.99+

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

If I was 40 years younger.  
To quote the Joker, “I’m like a dog chasing a car, I don’t know what to do with it if I caught it!”

You're right…Who am I foolin’…. 😂

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I feel the same way.  I never thought I would pay over $70 for a FR BS or ECBP.  With the former, I was never confronted with that decision because the few times I have seen it over the past few years was either in a lottery for over $100 or some even more ridiculous price.  I ran across an unannounced FR store barrel pick and they were handing out one bottle per customer.  When I heard the price was $79.99, I was ecstatic.  Same with ECBP, I have grabbed two for $74.99 each over the past month and I am quite happy to have them.  A lot of stores in my area save both for lotteries and charge a ridiculous price.

Pretty much the same here. I walked into a local store, saw a line forming, got in it, and had a crack at the FR BS, plus some other stuff (Eagle Rare, OFSBBP, MNWD). $80 is actually a new max spend for me on a bottle. I have bought a couple of $70 bottles lately, including the ECBP, but this felt weird. I still prefer hanging out in the $20-30 range, which has plenty to keep me occupied (OGD BIB & 114, WT101, EW BIB, ET BIB, KC9), but I'm finding $50-55 a sort of sweet spot where I get something pretty nice without feeling like I got played. Now it seems RR SiB is ticking up to $60 and higher, so may have to cross that off the list soon, or make it a once in a blue moon thing. Sigh.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I feel the same way.  I never thought I would pay over $70 for a FR BS or ECBP.  With the former, I was never confronted with that decision because the few times I have seen it over the past few years was either in a lottery for over $100 or some even more ridiculous price.  I ran across an unannounced FR store barrel pick and they were handing out one bottle per customer.  When I heard the price was $79.99, I was ecstatic.  Same with ECBP, I have grabbed two for $74.99 each over the past month and I am quite happy to have them.  A lot of stores in my area save both for lotteries and charge a ridiculous price.

4R barrel picks are $150 a bottle in my area when rarely seen. ECBP is $80 to $90 but fairly common. 

• I like it 2

I pass on everything these days, including some crazy LE prices I saw at bars in Milwaukee on a recent trip ($1,200 a pour for OFC anyone?).

That said, I have been somewhat encouraged about what I’ve seen the few times I’ve looked around recently. I had to go to a local store yesterday to get a couple things related to hosting Christmas. I walked the whiskey aisle and if I had needed whiskey, I was pleasantly surprised that I could’ve found stuff I would be just fine with in stock. Handles of EWBIB, all the WT expressions including Rare Breed rye and 101 rye, ECBP, WFE rye, MM101, FR small batch select, and some other stuff I’d be happy to serve go friends and family over the holidays, all at good prices.

On that Milwaukee trip I was shocked by how much good LE whiskey they had at a few bars. Some of the pricing was just dumb though. As an example ETL and RHF was more expensive than BTAC pours. I like mashbill #2 just fine but that’s kind of ridiculous. 

• I like it 4

Today - Joseph A. Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 118 @ $299 plus tax.  They had two.  I really pondered.  BUT!  I was told I could go get 375s of Dolins Vermouth to replenish our white and red stocks "BUT NO MORE BOURBON!"  I decided I'd sneak in a couple OGD BIBs for the car trunk instead and consider myself noble if not honest for spending less.  Was saved by checking the trunk before entering the store.  ALREADY had two OGD BIB 750s in there.

HENCE! My virtue was spared.:rolleyes:

• I like it 12

Everything. Went to the store today to get bubbly for New Years and didn't walk out with a bottle of bourbon for the first time in a very long time. Waiting until the ECBP A123 is released before I get anything else.

• I like it 3

48 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Today - Joseph A. Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 118 @ $299 plus tax.  They had two.  I really pondered.  BUT!  I was told I could go get 375s of Dolins Vermouth to replenish our white and red stocks "BUT NO MORE BOURBON!"  I decided I'd sneak in a couple OGD BIBs for the car trunk instead and consider myself noble if not honest for spending less.  Was saved by checking the trunk before entering the store.  ALREADY had two OGD BIB 750s in there.

HENCE! My virtue was spared.:rolleyes:

Who told you BUT NO MORE BOURBON?  If it was your lovely bride then I guess that is ok.  If it was the liquor store clerk, then I would say there might be a bigger problem.  😀

• I like it 1

On 12/27/2022 at 10:03 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on Rebel 10 Single Barrel for $61.99.

That's almost 40 bucks less than what the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania charges.

• I like it 2

On 12/27/2022 at 10:03 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on Rebel 10 Single Barrel for $61.99.

That's $40 cheaper than elsewhere, I'd have snapped up 2 or 3.  I like that stuff (but not as much as Larceny C922 at $70).  

But it just did not pass Cheap Bastard muster.  Another One Collects The Dust. And another one goes....

Edited by Anwalt

2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

That's almost 40 bucks less than what the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania charges.

I saw that when I looked it up on line later.  It had been quite a while since I had seen one on the shelf.

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

That's $40 cheaper than elsewhere, I'd have snapped up 2 or 3.  I like that stuff (but not as much as Larceny C922 at $70).  

But it just did not pass Cheap Bastard muster.  Another One Collects The Dust. And another one goes....

I will be heading back to the store today and might pick one up out of curiosity.  However, I suspect they are all gone.  There were only two bottles.  Sometimes I feel like there is only so much I can and want to get.  In this case, the price wasn't as much of a factor as there might be other bottles I prefer.  I would be more drawn to it if I could try it first or if it were small batch instead of single barrel.  

• I like it 2

KC18 @ $200. Disappointed cause I really like the rest of the line. I think $170 is the msrp so the Beam folks must be smoking something.

• I like it 2

I was in Bruges (Belgium) today and had a very rare opportunity. Walked into a liquor store there, mostly Belgian beers obviously, but also some bourbons. Nothing special, just some Woodford (the wheated, the regular, the rye and the double oak), regular Bulleit and Buffalo trace. Nothing of interest so I wanted to walk away, when the guy behind the counter asked if I needed help with anything. Told him I was just looking hat his bourbons, and he replied "I have a Pappy van Winkle:". And indeed, behind the counter, I had never seen one in Europe so far, but there it was! Asked him about the price, it was 975 EURO, about the same in USD these days. Decided to pass on that, as rare as it may be for us, it is just way too much in my view! Besides, my wife was there, would never have gotten away with that!🤣

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, Obree said:

I was in Bruges (Belgium) today and had a very rare opportunity. Walked into a liquor store there, mostly Belgian beers obviously, but also some bourbons. Nothing special, just some Woodford (the wheated, the regular, the rye and the double oak), regular Bulleit and Buffalo trace. Nothing of interest so I wanted to walk away, when the guy behind the counter asked if I needed help with anything. Told him I was just looking hat his bourbons, and he replied "I have a Pappy van Winkle:". And indeed, behind the counter, I had never seen one in Europe so far, but there it was! Asked him about the price, it was 975 EURO, about the same in USD these days. Decided to pass on that, as rare as it may be for us, it is just way too much in my view! Besides, my wife was there, would never have gotten away with that!🤣

Not that it matters but.. 15, 20, or 23 year?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.