Cocktail Hour—2022

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A warm Autumn day needs an earthy cocktail, but with some citrus.  Mixed up an El Ahumado:

El Ahumado “Smoky”

1.5 Oz Reposado Tequila

1/2 Oz Aperol

3/4 Oz lime juice

1/2 Oz Agave Nectar

1/4 Oz Luxardo cherry syrup/liqueur.  

1/2 Oz Mezcal 

Shake over ice and in old Fashioned glass with clear cube.

New Cockrail for me, and I’ll probably flip the Tequila and Mezcal ratios next time to give it more Ahumado…😁. Good, though.

DCC908FE-29B2-429F-B49B-1E527A3DE026.jpeg

• I like it 2

I made a "standard" Old Fashioned while watching Netflix, yesterday. One measured tsp sugar, about 1/4 oz water, two dashes of Angostura bitters, 1 1/2 oz of Four Roses SB, and ice. IMO, it was delicious. I might start drinking, again.

• I like it 1

Trader Joe’s, Giant Food, etc., are currently selling a maple (flavored) cream soda.  At least it is not pumpkin hahahahaha.

We bought a four pack and experimented.   We could make our own maple flavored bourbons and manage the proof ourselves.  Basic recipe was two oz. Bourbon (rye is TOO,herbal/grassy/grainy, stick with bourbon), ice, and walnut bitters to taste filled with the maple soda in a small (8 oz.) Old Fashioned glass.

Want to blow your socks off?  Substitute an average 80 proof brandy for the bourbon.

On really cold days (like, below 50 degrees F), skip the ice and grab a cigar and sit outside in a parka, hoodie, or flannel shirt.

I done this a lot the last week.  MY GOODNESS!

Edited by Harry in WashDC
TOO not two - Sheesh!
  • I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Deserted Island cocktail, the Mezcal Negroni. That’s right, I would go 5 deep on cocktail ingredients if stranded. 

Made during halftime of Texas and Tigers v. Tide games. 

10297205-F7F6-4628-A3EC-CE156AC16782.jpeg

• I like it 1

Hey guys. I actually had a mixed drink today. It's rare that I do. So I thought id share. Apple cider, mostly. About 3 ounces. Half a pour of barrell 13 year rye, a splash of Don gonzalo vos (20 year oloroso) and a hit of bitters. I'm having it in one of my wife's stemless white wine glasses and it is fantastic. Cheers.

20221106_204903.jpg

• I like it 2

Ridiculous Indian summer here!  So no real choice but to grill.  And might as well have a Rye maple sour.  I followed the internet recipe.  1 to 1, maple syrup/lemon juice.  And of course it's too sweet.  You'd think that after 50 or so years, I'd know better.   But the smoke and the sun work a kind of magic.  I'll perfect it on the next round.  For now good enough is better than I deserve.

IMG_0359.thumb.jpg.63361c4533f98f8eaff85b24793be27e.jpg 

IMG_0361.thumb.jpg.1d910056cf36d971956d87c3b2021785.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 3

The Full Monte, (Monty?)

We're out of Luxardo cherries,  so I had to use Bada Bing cherries. Not as good as Luxardo,  but not bad

20221115_185654.jpg

• I like it 1

I am looking to make a very old cocktail, Pink Gin. It is just gin and Angostura, prepared and served like a martini. Curiously enough, the cocktail was not devised to make the gin taste better, but to make the bitters easier to drink. They were taking the bitters as medicine.

• I like it 1

My wild hair spontaneous pickup for the Thanksgiving Holiday was a bottle of Crown Royal Peach.  Mixed it 50:50 with Orange Juice for a nice afternoon cocktail today while trying to find the impetus to finish the cleanup and put-away of yesterday’s festivities.  Uh, that impetus ain’t likely to be found today, me thinks…🙂

I used to enjoy Fuzzy Navels back in my ute.  It was an 80’s thing, ya know. 😘.   This is like that, but seriously, it’s better.  

19B35D4D-7DB8-467E-9BA3-3A612F3C7850.jpeg

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

My wild hair spontaneous pickup for the Thanksgiving Holiday was a bottle of Crown Royal Peach.  Mixed it 50:50 with Orange Juice for a nice afternoon cocktail today while trying to find the impetus to finish the cleanup and put-away of yesterday’s festivities.  Uh, that impetus ain’t likely to be found today, me thinks…🙂

I used to enjoy Fuzzy Navels back in my ute.  It was an 80’s thing, ya know. 😘.   This is like that, but seriously, it’s better.  

19B35D4D-7DB8-467E-9BA3-3A612F3C7850.jpeg

Very fancy photography there! 

Edited by MissMohawk
Hit buttons too soon!
  • I like it 1

23 hours ago, ratcheer said:

I am looking to make a very old cocktail, Pink Gin. It is just gin and Angostura, prepared and served like a martini. Curiously enough, the cocktail was not devised to make the gin taste better, but to make the bitters easier to drink. They were taking the bitters as medicine.

Well, I made it yesterday afternoon. It was ok, but nothing to get excited about.

• 4 weeks later...

A Black Manhattan is a perfect cocktail for this time of year.

7393E95D-46F1-463F-BF1D-4018CEF61767.jpeg

• I like it 2

Went to H Mart today as we needed some lychees for a cocktail that Littlesmokinjoe had the other night when her and Mrssmokinjoe went out shopping and then dinner at a Vietnamese place.  I’ll be making that one later.  While at H Mart, I picked up some pickled limes “Chanh Muoi”, because they looked interesting.  Needed something refreshing while food prepping for the next two days’ feasts.  So, muddled 1/2 of one of the pickled limes in my glass, poured in some Bombay Sapphire, topped with Tonic, and ice.  Wonderful!  The saltiness and pickled nature of the limes really gives it a unique flavor that works well with the botanicals in the gin and the spritziness of the tonic.  

Figuring a squeeze of one of these may work in a Vesper, too…

986C7B0A-931A-4ADF-BCAB-4858B83D2EC4.jpeg

• I like it 2

Yesterday, I bought supplies for Christmas - a huge bottle of Kahlua and a bottle of Bailey's. My wife doesn't drink much, but I made her a Bailey's Mudslide and she enjoyed it. I only had a White Russian.

• I like it 1

Idle time waiting for the ham to finish. Sides are complete. Grinch playing in the background. Went heavy on the citrus. Orange bitters and cara cara twist.  Spectacular! 

6277EBE8-154F-43A3-87EB-0DC0077F13B9.jpeg

• I like it 3

I’be been very into black Manhattans and Reanimators lately, but decided to try something new.  The Cynara:

3 parts bourbon 

1 part Cynar

1 part Aperol

over a bitters-laced ice ball, with an orange twist. As described in Parson’s book: Amaro. Reportedly created at the Palace Kitchen in Seattle. 

00B2F29A-9CA7-4BA5-B5B7-7429F8EB78E6.jpeg

• I like it 2

Finally found some yellow chartreuse. Been impossible to find due to supply chain issues (yet again) so with that now in hand I made my first ever Naked and Famous and it's a keeper for sure.

• I like it 1

Kicking off this NYE with a Suckling Sour waiting for puck drop.  Hope everyone has a very happy and safe New Year!  GO WINGS!

IMG_20221231_185900.thumb.jpg.c3181b3e35b0d0ebc88a2146dad43a64.jpg

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Kicking off this NYE with a Suckling Sour waiting for puck drop.  Hope everyone has a very happy and safe New Year!  GO WINGS!

IMG_20221231_185900.thumb.jpg.c3181b3e35b0d0ebc88a2146dad43a64.jpg

Looks great Gary! What is it?

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Looks great Gary! What is it?

My best approximation of a cocktail I had in Glasgow in 2016:

1.5 oz bacon-infused bourbon (can't recall what I used for this)
1.5 oz bourbon (HH6BIB from the fridge)

1 oz agave syrup

1 oz lemon juice

1 egg white

Shaken with ice vigorously for 30 seconds then strained in a glass.  I had made some bacon-infused bourbon years ago, but then didn't know what to do with it - and while on vacation with the wifey we stopped at a bar in Glasgow that had bacon infused bourbon (not Scotch!) and a cocktail made for it.  I tried it and liked it, so decided that is where the rest of my bacon-infused bourbon was destined for.  Liked it enough back home that I've continued to make bacon-infused bourbon, really just for this recipe (although if folks have other cocktails they enjoy with that, I'd love to hear about them!)

Hope you have a great New Year Phil and we see you in April!!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.