Cocktail Hour—2022

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

E7F4C937-BFD6-4521-BA77-36EA73CB7AE2.thumb.jpeg.3dbe9ed80c3936a6eb83b0273cf39261.jpeg

my lady has the Last Word

555FF71A-4EE7-4FB1-9699-691E2A1A64CC.thumb.jpeg.f87b6582a449124de13c6960dfdf067a.jpeg

and I had something I poached from a nice cocktail bar recently. Expressed orange peel not shown. All dressed up and ready to go below:07C35EF8-BD02-4208-AF5C-47CB61487881.thumb.jpeg.5e8bed0572706b3d74ccfb0781a482bd.jpeg

• I like it 1

Gin, tonic, and lime (Bowling and Burk, Fever Tree, regular lime) while kicking back on the back patio. Waiting on the wife to finish Little Whammie's bath and bedtime so I can turn Dateline NBC on. This is the ideal Saturday evening for us. 

1F2B8329-179E-47CB-AF4E-4F503D5AA3B6.jpeg

• I like it 2

After reorganizing the garage and installing new bike racks earlier, daddy needed a painkiller.

48E471B6-0166-4F3B-981A-7BC92F66575A.jpeg

• I like it 2

My wife has been very interested in Margaritas lately so we've been on the search for the best recipe. Because this drink became the beach bar favorite made with sour mix when I was first exposed to it I never took it seriously. It was a "drink" and not a cocktail. Well boy what you can do when you do it right.

We found this:

5 drops saline solution* (or pinch salt)

¼ ounce agave syrup

¾ ounce Cointreau

¾ ounce fresh lime juice

2 ounces 100 percent agave blanco tequila (Espolon)

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. 

Add ice, then shake for 10-12 seconds until the outside of the shaker is frosty cold. 

Strain into a rocks glass over ice. 

Garnish with a wedge of lime. 

That agave syrup really makes a difference. The first time we tried it we didn't have the agave so we used simple syrup. It was still good. We got the agave today and it really impacts the drink. Thickens it up a bit and adds a peculiar sweetness and flavor that is very different from simple syrup. I now take this cocktail seriously!

• I like it 2

I always like seeing new margarita recipes.  It's become one of my favorite summer drinks now that my daughter likes them (unfortunately, I can't interest either her or my wife in bourbon).  

I make what my daughter calls "Rattlesnake Margaritas" ... because they have a lot of bite.  The instructions are the same as yours (down to even the same length of time in the shaker), but the ingredients are a bit different.

2 ounces blanco tequila (I'll often use resposado when I'm making them for myself -- finds it adds a bit more depth)

1 ounce Grand Marnier

11/4 ounces key lime juice

We skip the simple syrup.  Occasionally, I'll use the agave syrup, but usually cut back on both the Grand Marnier and the key lime juice if I do.  As with you and your wife, we do prefer the agave simple syrup to the plain simple syrup if we're going to use it.

We usually skip adding salt, although we occasionally salt the rim and often serve with salty snacks.

• I like it 3

Probably my most go to cocktail, the Bloody Mary. Since I'm out of MC, I made this with a locally distilled pepper vodka. Still delightful. 

Prost!!  Phil 

20220530_093327.jpg

• I like it 3

On 5/29/2022 at 11:01 PM, flahute said:

My wife has been very interested in Margaritas lately so we've been on the search for the best recipe. Because this drink became the beach bar favorite made with sour mix when I was first exposed to it I never took it seriously. It was a "drink" and not a cocktail. Well boy what you can do when you do it right.

We found this:

5 drops saline solution* (or pinch salt)

¼ ounce agave syrup

¾ ounce Cointreau

¾ ounce fresh lime juice

2 ounces 100 percent agave blanco tequila (Espolon)

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. 

Add ice, then shake for 10-12 seconds until the outside of the shaker is frosty cold. 

Strain into a rocks glass over ice. 

Garnish with a wedge of lime. 

That agave syrup really makes a difference. The first time we tried it we didn't have the agave so we used simple syrup. It was still good. We got the agave today and it really impacts the drink. Thickens it up a bit and adds a peculiar sweetness and flavor that is very different from simple syrup. I now take this cocktail seriously!

A couple I like including a definite cocktail version of a Margarita.

Margara
1 1/2 oz Añejo tequila
3/4 oz Clement Créole Shrubb
3/4 oz Lime juice
1/2 oz Cynar
2 ds Angostura Orange bitters
Shake, strain, straight up

A more standard Margarita
3 oz 100pf blanc tequila
1 oz Cointreau
1 oz Damiana liqueur
2 oz lime juice

I also sub Solerno blood orange liqueur or Agavero orange (which is a tequila based orange liqueur) for Cointreau on occasion.

• I like it 2

42 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A couple I like including a definite cocktail version of a Margarita.

Margara
1 1/2 oz Añejo tequila
3/4 oz Clement Créole Shrubb
3/4 oz Lime juice
1/2 oz Cynar
2 ds Angostura Orange bitters
Shake, strain, straight up

A more standard Margarita
3 oz 100pf blanc tequila
1 oz Cointreau
1 oz Damiana liqueur
2 oz lime juice

I also sub Solerno blood orange liqueur or Agavero orange (which is a tequila based orange liqueur) for Cointreau on occasion.

Oh, interesting. Thanks for this!

Super70sSports guy makes me howl at least once per day.  Saw this one today:

Super 70s Sports

@Super70sSports

Bill: Wants a Pina Colada.
Server: Pushed over the goddamn edge by Bill.

93F20292-710D-4CCB-8BEF-BA9FC1FC1CD3.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Super70sSports guy makes me howl at least once per day.  Saw this one today:

Super 70s Sports

@Super70sSports

Bill: Wants a Pina Colada.
Server: Pushed over the goddamn edge by Bill.

93F20292-710D-4CCB-8BEF-BA9FC1FC1CD3.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣

Crammed 5 days of work into 4, and thus 2 days behind heading into next week…🤪

Gonna go sit out in the Sun, and feel like a refreshing cocktail with a punch.  So, “The Whammie” is in order.  “The Whammie”, courtesy of @JCwhammie.  👍🏻

06A9BEE0-0033-4A24-996A-8D70BA02E4DA.jpeg

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Gonna go sit out in the Sun, and feel like a refreshing cocktail with a punch.  So, “The Whammie” is in order.  “The Whammie”, courtesy of @JCwhammie.  👍🏻

The Whammie.  Hmmm, interesting.  Looks good!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

06A9BEE0-0033-4A24-996A-8D70BA02E4DA.jpeg

A big cheers down Georgia way for you, Joe! 

19 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

A big cheers down Georgia way for you, Joe! 

Cheers back at you!  I’m on your Limeade variant 😁 this afternoon, and it’s equally as good.  The lime  and cherry work very well together, and seems to give a bit more sweetness to the overall drink.  I’ll probably gravitate to the Original Whammie, as I tend to have more lemonade around, but if given time and somebody wants a more sweet citrusy drink, the Publix is just 3 minutes away!  😂

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Cheers back at you!  I’m on your Limeade variant 😁 this afternoon, and it’s equally as good.  The lime  and cherry work very well together, and seems to give a bit more sweetness to the overall drink.  I’ll probably gravitate to the Original Whammie, as I tend to have more lemonade around, but if given time and somebody wants a more sweet citrusy drink, the Publix is just 3 minutes away!  😂

I decided to join you with a Whammie on this perfect weather Saturday evening. 

017796A8-0C57-4F40-A2A6-195A8E14B07D.jpeg

• I like it 3

Had a college graduation party 2 weeks ago for my youngest and we had a bunch of sodas in cans left over. I don't really drink a lot of soda but apparently my wife and kids do (what do I know). So its about 85 yesterday and I want to go lay in the pool and decide to have a bourbon and coke over ice in a big insulated tumbler. Search though 4 refrigerators and on shelves - no coke or pepsi left. I already poured the bourbon over the ice in the tumbler. I could only find 1 can of Fanta Orange so I figured I'd try that. Poured about 1/2 the can and drank the rest of the orange soda. The orange soda messed up my palate briefly and the first few sips of the bourbon and orange soda tasted like crap and a big mistake. But my palate adjusted and the bourbon and orange soda actually tasted ok, kind of like an orange forward Old Fashioned without the cherry and bitters influence. 2 oz Jersey Spirits Patriots Trail Bourbon, 6 oz Fanta Orange soda, Ice. If you're really REALLY desperate, try it.

1 hour ago, Kjbarth said:

Had a college graduation party 2 weeks ago for my youngest and we had a bunch of sodas in cans left over. I don't really drink a lot of soda but apparently my wife and kids do (what do I know). So its about 85 yesterday and I want to go lay in the pool and decide to have a bourbon and coke over ice in a big insulated tumbler. Search though 4 refrigerators and on shelves - no coke or pepsi left. I already poured the bourbon over the ice in the tumbler. I could only find 1 can of Fanta Orange so I figured I'd try that. Poured about 1/2 the can and drank the rest of the orange soda. The orange soda messed up my palate briefly and the first few sips of the bourbon and orange soda tasted like crap and a big mistake. But my palate adjusted and the bourbon and orange soda actually tasted ok, kind of like an orange forward Old Fashioned without the cherry and bitters influence. 2 oz Jersey Spirits Patriots Trail Bourbon, 6 oz Fanta Orange soda, Ice. If you're really REALLY desperate, try it.

Back in the day my introduction to alcohol was vodka and orange crush. Been a long time since and your post brought back the memories. Cheers!!

Enjoying the last of a delicious barrel aged Manhattan, a sample provided by a generous drinking buddy.  It was fantastic.

25 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Enjoying the last of a delicious barrel aged Manhattan, a sample provided by a generous drinking buddy.  It was fantastic.

Oh yeah?

Sounds delicious 😉

It’s definitely a BA Manhattan kinda evening here too…

673668D1-89E6-4D17-8AE0-E5A59B51DBB1.jpeg

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Oh yeah?

Sounds delicious 😉

It’s definitely a BA Manhattan kinda evening here too…

673668D1-89E6-4D17-8AE0-E5A59B51DBB1.jpeg

Nice

Something I haven’t had in a LONG time. A tall Bourbon and coke. About 2oz WT101 and about a 1/2 can of Pepsi and lots of ice while “watching” my grill do a rotisserie chicken. 90+ and humid, tall and cold hit the spot.

Last night of a 10 day trip. Running on fumes. A quick convo w the hotel bartender about this KC Rye old fashioned. She wanted to muddle the luxardo. No can do! 

A8D1801F-9F8D-4ECA-BD5F-46E2CC0F6371.jpeg

• I like it 2

A Mid-century modern Manhattan in a Libbey Atomic Fish glass.    Cheap antique mall find.

IMG_9545.thumb.jpg.d1af322ea7840524aba07dd4accf225e.jpg

• I like it 5

Oh my goodness. The mezcal Final Word.

It's exactly what you think it is but with mezcal instead of gin. The smokiness of the mezcal plays so incredibly well with the green Chartreuse. So good.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.