Whiskey madness

hughewil
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I have decided to do a Whiskey Madness tournament.  I know I don't have the selection many of you have, but I am gonna work with what I got.

Going to have my wife assign the bottles a label and do the pours.  I won't know what anything is until the end when a winner is declared.

Here are the participating whiskies

Capture.JPG.6edf5f625191039ddb2d59971a0b0e5b.JPG

So make your odds and place your bets!

I'll be doing head to head over the next several weeks and will post final results when done exposing a bracket filled in with names.  I'll post notes of each head to head after I do them.

bracket.jpg.d9e622c915287a7b0be3591c1770c939.jpg

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 3

Don't know your desired proof or what you think of ryes (different distinct animal, there) but I'll give it a shot...

Winner by a nose - OF1920

Place - and coming on strong RR Select

Show - Grand Weller

But needed a camera to prove show as Weller Antique, Bookers, ER & EHT Sib were coming on strong.

4R Sib got jammed on the inside or could have contended... 😜

• I like it 2

My predictions:

Show:  Rare Breed

Place: OF 1920

Winner:  Pikesville

• I like it 1

so 1st head to head done.

A8 v A9

Nose was the same on both of these, i just smelt earthy made me think malt.

On the pallet both were citrus on the front, but A8 had a oak throughout and a long finish.  A9 was very mellow with no burn which makes me think it is lower proof.  Didn't really have a finish. The overall taste was similar except for the oak on A8. 

In the end I went with A8 because of the long finish that left my mouth tingling.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, hughewil said:

so 1st head to head done.

A8 v A9

Nose was the same on both of these, i just smelt earthy made me think malt.

On the pallet both were citrus on the front, but A8 had a oak throughout and a long finish.  A9 was very mellow with no burn which makes me think it is lower proof.  Didn't really have a finish. The overall taste was similar except for the oak on A8. 

In the end I went with A8 because of the long finish that left my mouth tingling.

Very cool idea!   Well planned!

• I like it 1

Love it.

Will split my $$ on EHTSmB and HMK10 for the win. Looking forward to the results

• I like it 1

It depends what the  RR SIB is. If it's from the 6th floor of CNF, then it wins. Otherwise it's OF1920 or OWA

• I like it 2

Sounds like a fun exercise!  Interested to see how it goes.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

It depends what the  RR SIB is. If it's from the 6th floor of CNF, then it wins. Otherwise it's OF1920 or OWA

this, but  would add the EHTsmb to the mix. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

4th floor warehouse B

• I like it 1

No love for the 4R single barrel?

Ill back it.

I think Weller Antique will also do well.

Rye goes to Pikesville.

• I like it 3

Win: Russell’s Reserve

Place: Booker’s

Show: Pikesville

So Close: Henry McKenna & Highway 17

Whiskey Madness playin #2

B9 v B10

B9 was classic bourbon on the nose earthy, peanut, and floral. On the pallet again classic bourbon. Very light on the front, oak on the finish, not much of a finish but did have a nice mouth feel.  felt young and not very high proof.

B10 there was something funky on the nose I couldn't place.  i don't remember ever smelling this and it is distinct.

On the front really nothing there, on the finish the harsh funk hit.  I almost gaged, I think maybe I have a bottle somewhere that has gone bad somehow.

easy call on B9 as the winner.

19 hours ago, hughewil said:

4th floor warehouse B

currently enjoying a 4th floor warehouse B myself. very nice!

but the few 6th floor cnf bottles i have are superb...

Whiskey Madness head to head playin #3

B7 v B8

wow these were both very good.  

B8 was minty on the nose and opened up to a nice chocolate also a good ethonol making me think higher proof.  On the pallet in had oily mouth feel and spicy finish that left my mouth tingling.

B7 the nose was floral and red fruit.  on the pallet it was oaky and  dry but had no spice on the finish but left my mouth tingling.  I think it also may have been higher proof but really smooth.

I think both of these may hve been pulled from my drinker shelf,  Maybe one a rye and one a higher proof bourbon.

Either one would have smashed the previous 4 I tried but they ended up head to head and I took b8 as the winner with the better mouth feel.

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 1

Just curious, are eliminated whiskeys going to be revealed as you go so we have an idea of what is left in the running? Or is it all at the end?  

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Just curious, are eliminated whiskeys going to be revealed as you go so we have an idea of what is left in the running? Or is it all at the end?  

I don't want to reveal because I don't want to narrow it down in my mind as I move through the rounds to prevent any pre conceived notions.

At the end I will post a complete breakdown of  matchups and a finished bracket.

• I like it 3

tonights matchups

a1 v a8 and a2 v a3

a1: on the nose a little spice, opens up to some caramel sweetness.  On the pallet oak, some red fruit, a nice mouth feel with medium finish.

a8: on the nose floral, citrus, earthy.  on the pallet dry, flowery, some spice on the finish.  mouth feel isn;t as good

winner: a1

a2: sweetness, brown sugar, caramel.  on the pallet mint, tart, oak on the finish, nice finish.

a3: not getting much at all.  on the pallet woody, dry, burns going down but not much taste.

winner a3

33 minutes ago, hughewil said:

tonights matchups

a1 v a8 and a2 v a3

a1: on the nose a little spice, opens up to some caramel sweetness.  On the pallet oak, some red fruit, a nice mouth feel with medium finish.

a8: on the nose floral, citrus, earthy.  on the pallet dry, flowery, some spice on the finish.  mouth feel isn;t as good

a2: sweetness, brown sugar, caramel.  on the pallet mint, tart, oak on the finish, nice finish.

a3: not getting much at all.  on the pallet woody, dry, burns going down but not much taste.

winner a3

Given the description of a3, I’m surprised it won. I would’ve guessed a2 to win by a landslide. 

9 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Given the description of a3, I’m surprised it won. I would’ve guessed a2 to win by a landslide. 

oops your right.  it was a2, not sure why I typed a3 there.  i will correct

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, hughewil said:

tonights matchups

a1 v a8 and a2 v a3

winner a3

winner of 2nd head to head was a2.  it wouldn't let me edit.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:45 AM, 0895 said:

No love for the 4R single barrel?

Ill back it.

I think Weller Antique will also do well.

Rye goes to Pikesville.

I was going to say that Rare Breed and Pikesville run away from all of the competition with 4RSiB being a dark horse depending on the barrel's profile even though they're fairly consistent in profile.

Whiskey Madness head to heads

C9 v C8

C9 - nose: minty, sweet, fruity

pallet: gum drops, oak, tastes good but not much of a finish, i think this is a low proof rye.  would love to try this in cask strength

C8 - proof on the nose, dark chocolate

pallet: brown sugar, woody finish, good m outh feel, medium easy finsh, seems to have some age.

Winner: C8

D10 v D9

D10 - Nose: vanilla, caramel

pallet; oaky, spice on middle,  medium finish, goes down easy, tastes aged.

D9: nose: earthy, cinnamon

pallet: peanut, citrus on finsh, medium finish, bright bitter fibnish, tastes younger.

These 2 felt about the same proof, maybe both BiB

Winner: D10

D8 v D7

D8 - Nose: proof, vanilla, caramel, heavenly I could nose this all day

Pallet: cinnamon, oaky, caramel, great mouth feel, long finish

D7 - Nose: Grainy, some citrus

Pallet: little bit of spice on backend, easy drinker, no burn but no finish.  Low proof.

Winner by 1 punch knockout D8

Whiskey Madness head to heads

A4 v A5

A4- nose: smokey, cinnamon, all spice

pallet: baking spice, oak, christmas candy, good oily mouth feel, medium finish with a kentucky hug so some proof.  very tasty

A5- nose: Bright, high proof, citrus

pallet: oak, bread, long finish but very bitter.

A5 is higher proof, but A4 is really tasty and takes this one.

Winner: A4

A6 v A7

A6 - nose: vanilla, char, toffee, cinnamon

Pallet: Brown sugar, spice in the middle, oak on the finish,  medium finish and very smooth.  this is an easy drinker with a good taste.  It;s a contender

A7- nose: wood, banana

pallet: grain, smooth, caramel, short finish.  feels like a wheater

winner: A6

C1 v C8

c1 - nose: proof, dark chocolate

pallet: cinnamon, brown sugar, wood, slightly bitter, medium finish slight citrus

c8: nose: cinnmon, oak, bubble gum

pallet: brown sugar, oak, no burn, medium finish

This one was really close and both are nice drinkers

winner: C1

Whiskey madness head to head

C2 v C3

C2: nose: Funky smelling, old wood, smokey

Pallet: brine, spice, sweet, no finish

C3:  nose: Peanut, pepper, nutmeg

oak, pepper, vanilla, medium finish

winner: C3

C4 v C5

C4: nose: burnt butter

pallet: sweet, buttery, medium finish.  this is the corn moonshine

c5: nose: cherry all day, re fruit, earthy, baking spice

pallet: cherry, spice, mint, short finish but really tasty.  this may be baby saz

winner: C5

C6 v C7

C6; Nose: Red pple,vanilla

pallet: vanilla, banana, short finish

C7: nose: vanilla, brown sugar, pepper, spice

Pallet: oaky, pepper, nice mouth feel, medium finish maybe a rye.

winner: c7

C6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.