Whiskey madness

hughewil
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

58 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

So it looks like a blend of BP MGP Ryes. That explains part of it.  Owned by the founder of under armour?

I have a 7 yr Sagamore private pick but the SF bourbon scotch whiskey society and it says "distilled in Indiana" on the back label.  So, yeah, MGP.  Funny thing is, it doesn't taste anything like any other MGP ryes that I've had.  The spicy dill and mint isn't there.  Instead there's maple syrup and caramel...

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

I have a 7 yr Sagamore private pick but the SF bourbon scotch whiskey society and it says "distilled in Indiana" on the back label.  So, yeah, MGP.  ...

I've seen this on several sagemore products.  If I had the 7 yr I'd view it as great quality 7 yr MGP at a great price.  Not a bad thing at all.  And keep in mind a 7 yr MGP isn't necessarily same thing as another 7 yr MGP.  Barrel pick makes a big diff and when you've 20 bazillion barrels to pick from .....

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

I have a 7 yr Sagamore private pick but the SF bourbon scotch whiskey society and it says "distilled in Indiana" on the back label. ...

I've noted a disturbing recent trend with sourced, increased secrecy.  Okay, Jefferson excluded.  Dickel Rye still says distilled in Lawrenceburg Indiana in prominent big letters on front label, so they don't pull punches, they let the knowledgeable whisky (yes "whisky") drinker know up front what they're buying.  Interestingly, it's near same juice (ack, what?) as a higher priced rye which I'll not name (*cough* Envy *hum, cough*) which seems to have removed anything Indiana, at least from labels I looked at other day.

• I like it 1

I do not presently have any of the Sagamore Spirit SiB here in PR.  I do have a Barrel Proof.  I wonder how it'll compare.

• I like it 1

So if you read the little blurb they give you with the sp bottles it says that the bottles are a blend of mpg rye mashbills. Not just the 95/5 like all the other Sagamore stuff. This product, at least the one I had is not a sib. Thats why it says barrel select, not single barrel.

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, Mattk said:

So if you read the little blurb they give you with the sp bottles it says that the bottles are a blend of mpg rye mashbills. Not just the 95/5 like all the other Sagamore stuff. This product, at least the one I had is not a sib. Thats why it says barrel select, not single barrel.

Good point.. but obviously(after a sample size of one), some effort was put into finding the right barrels. Any chance they combined the the two mashbills as they were filling  a single barrel 6-7 years ago? May be overthinking it. But if youre the store or group going to “select” a barrel… youd either be picking two barrels of separate mashbills to be combined OR you dont get to pick at all … or something im not thinking of. Anyone familiar with their Store Pick process or one simiar?

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

this is where the magic can happen.  Dickel Rye and Bulleit 95 Rye are simple dumps, good drink for good price, fair enough.  Problem, so many new crafts source MGP and then "blend" or "finish" or wave magic wand hoping consumer will pick theirs, and they double or triple money.  Most of these blenders don't know rye from water in mud puddle.  Some should but fail, like Metze (retired from MGP).  BUT! Then there's a few artists like our blending goddess Nancy that can turn it into nectar.  I've no problem dropping $100 on MGP if it's enchanted by Nancy or other artists.

• I like it 2

43 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

this is where the magic can happen.  Dickel Rye and Bulleit 95 Rye are simple dumps, good drink for good price, fair enough.  Problem, so many new crafts source MGP and then "blend" or "finish" or wave magic wand hoping consumer will pick theirs, and they double or triple money.  Most of these blenders don't know rye from water in mud puddle.  Some should but fail, like Metze (retired from MGP).  BUT! Then there's a few artists like our blending goddess Nancy that can turn it into nectar.  I've no problem dropping $100 on MGP if it's enchanted by Nancy or other artists.

Oh I am by no means knocking the product. I really enjoy sagamore quite a lot for both their distillate and community contributions.

• I like it 3

On 7/31/2022 at 10:42 AM, FasterHorses said:

So it looks like a blend of BP MGP Ryes. That explains part of it.  Owned by the founder of under armour?

I'm not  that knowledgeable on the subject, but it doesn't taste like an MGP rye I have had, and more important it tastes fantastic so frankly I don't care where it comes from.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.