Cocktail hour--2023

scratchline

Also, for you Boulevardier fans, I have been replacing the Campari with Gran Classico (see: tempusfugitspirits.com/products/gran-classico-bitter/) and it is really good. Definitely a variant as you lose a fair amount of bitterness for a more bitter-sweet profile, but really enjoyable.

Tom Fischer posted this cocktail on SB during the Holidays in 2010.  It originated from Barton’s Ridgemont Reserve brand (now, known simply as 1792).  Called the Ridgemont Rendezvous. Bourbon, Cranberry juice, Chambord, lemon juice, and simple syrup.  Stirred over ice and served over crushed ice.  Garnish with raspberries and mint.  I’ve tweaked the ratios and such to better fit my mood.  It’s very tasty, and gorgeous looking in the glass.

74A1F1A5-1FC9-496B-8A59-757AD2A9F515.jpeg

• I like it 4

Went to the hotel bar on my work trip in Hawaii to ask how they made their Mai Tai and it was the super sweet version. I asked if they could do it classic and the woman behind the bar asked if I meant the Trader Vic’s version.  Why yes, yes that is exactly what I mean. She knew how to make it. Satisfaction followed 

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

My palate is toast. My boss sent me on a boondoggle late last week into cold midwestern environs. Airports, meetings,  dinners, bars (lots of bars).  I came home with a cold. 

so, I tried Irish and scotch but couldn’t taste anything. So cocktails and beers it is. The favorite mezcal Negroni. 

Merry Christmas! 

IMG_1696.jpeg

On my trip to Hawaii mentioned above I had this very interesting cocktail. If you are a Negroni lover you will like this. It’s called the Hapunagroni and was supposedly invented by the head bartender at the Westin Hapuna hence the name. 

1 part Hawaiian light rum (They used Kuleana which I can’t get so I substituted)

1 part Luxardo Bitter Blanc

1/2 part Lillet Blanc

1/2 part Dolin Vermouth blanc

3 dash grapefruit bitters 

Orange peel garnish. (May have been lemon, I can’t remember that part but the orange peel was great in my home version)

The bartender was kind enough to give me the recipe which I replicated last night.

IMG_9905.jpeg

IMG_9889.jpeg

Started off this NYE with a Spiced Fig Old Fashioned (most ingredients came in a kit as part of a virtual team 'cocktail hour'; I swapped the Wild Turkey 101 for some Stellum Bourbon as it was open and at the ready, and I'd already used the WT101 bottles they sent during the team event).  Very nice packaging and setup (https://www.cocktailcourier.com/ if you're interested), and despite it being enough for '1 cocktail' in the box, there was enough syrup for an honest 3 (and maybe 4), although only garnishes for 2.  

2 oz Bourbon
1/4 oz Fig & Allspice Syrup
4 Dashes Aromatic Bitters
Garnish: Dehydrated Orange Wheel w/ Clove

IMG_20231231_165432.thumb.jpg.699816bd120c9cf0e6ab60e75519436e.jpg

• I like it 1

Switched things up with a Suckling Sour after that

2 oz bacon-infused bourbon whiskey
¾ oz agave syrup
1 oz lemon juice
1 egg white
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Add bourbon, syrup, and lemon juice to cocktail shaker.  Add egg white and fill with ice.  Shake for 30 seconds, strain into rocks glass.  Garnish w/ cherry if desired. 

Had just made some bacon-infused bourbon over Thanksgiving, and this is my 'go to' cocktail for it.  

Hope everyone has a happy and healthy New Year!

IMG_20231231_183253.thumb.jpg.05e79aec95a3e60b64ccdfb4f200b221.jpg

• I like it 1

I've been 9n quite the manhattan kick as of late. This is my first bottle of WTR101 since they changed the bottle. This is definitely the best rye for the $ IMO. 

IMG_5623.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 1/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, JCwhammie said:

I've been 9n quite the manhattan kick as of late. This is my first bottle of WTR101 since they changed the bottle. This is definitely the best rye for the $ IMO. 

IMG_5623.jpeg

I love the WT101 rye.  The WTRB rye is really good too.   Mrs. Skinsfan and I like the occasional Manhattan, but my problem is that we are usually  good for one, maybe two and then the vermouth goes South by the time I'm in the mood for another one.  

On 12/9/2023 at 6:58 PM, Jazz June said:

While this is a firmly Navy household (my 5 year old already knows what goes after Go Navy...), I will of course oblige:

1.5oz bourbon

.5oz lime juice

.25oz allspice dram

.5oz simple syrup (I actually do .25 as I like my drinks a little less sweet than most)

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake with ice, strain into chilled coupe.

Happy holidays Harry!

To reassure -- My Dad was career Navy - aviator in WW II in the Pacific then line on an APA during Korea and a DD skipper during the Cuban mess.  A-N game is always with mixed emotions for me.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:42 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love the WT101 rye.  The WTRB rye is really good too.   Mrs. Skinsfan and I like the occasional Manhattan, but my problem is that we are usually  good for one, maybe two and then the vermouth goes South by the time I'm in the mood for another one.  

I solved the "old" vermouth problem a bit.  I seek out 375s and, once opened, ALWAYS refrigerate.  If it has been awhile in the fridge, a small sip tells me if it has turned and should and therefore will be replaced.  PLUS, we sought out other cocktails that use sweet vermouth.  An easy one given to us by a woman who spent her teenage years in London subways during the Blitz is a Gin and It - 2 parts gin and one part sweet vermouth.  Ice is optional.  It is easy, she said, because you can make it in the dark or by match light and the proportions can be as much as 1 to 1 without hurting it too badly. 

Edited by Harry in WashDC
qualified replaced.
  • I like it 3

5 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I solved the "old" vermouth problem a bit.  I seek out 375s and, once opened, ALWAYS refrigerate.  If it has been awhile in the fridge, a small sip tells me if it has turned and should and therefore will be replaced.  PLUS, we sought out other cocktails that use sweet vermouth.  An easy one given to us by a woman who spent her teenage years in London subways during the Blitz is a Gin and It - 2 parts gin and one part sweet vermouth.  Ice is optional.  It is easy, she said, because you can make it in the dark or by match light and the proportions can be as much as 1 to 1 without hurting it too badly. 

Thanks Harry......I do the same...small bottles and refrigerate.   

The issue is that, with the exception of the occasional Old Fashioned or Manhattan,  I'm not a big fan of cocktails or most liquor that isn't whiskey.  One is plenty for me and, for whatever reason, I find them cloying   

Out of ~ 125+bottles, I have one each of rum, gin, vodka, amaro & tequila....the rest is whiskey 😄

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks Harry......I do the same...small bottles and refrigerate.   

The issue is that, with the exception of the occasional Old Fashioned or Manhattan,  I'm not a big fan of cocktails or most liquor that isn't whiskey.  One is plenty for me and, for whatever reason, I find them cloying   

Out of ~ 125+bottles, I have one each of rum, gin, vodka, amaro & tequila....the rest is whiskey 😄

I understand.  FWIW, I, too, have limited non-whiskey stuff - three gins (one Bombay Sapphire, one Hayman's Old Tom,  and a REALLY OLD "other" I drink once or twice during the Summer and won't replace when it is gone), a Hornitos Sauza Blanco used only for margaritas, a couple local rums (Todd Thrasher has a rum distillery near here),  one handle of Smirnoff 100 proof vodka, and a handful of liqueurs bought because I was told to so we could try a cocktail calling for them.  (One cocktail and it goes into the back of the cabinet.)  The one amaro I have was a gift; it's not open.  I forgot the basic brandy which is used only in Crustas at Christmas and one gift scotch and one Lagavulin for my wife, and one Armagnac (bought to see what it tasted like neat).  Hhhhmmm.  I guess I DO have more non-whiskey stuff than I thought.:wub:

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I understand.  FWIW, I, too, have limited non-whiskey stuff - three gins (one Bombay Sapphire, one Hayman's Old Tom,  and a REALLY OLD "other" I drink once or twice during the Summer and won't replace when it is gone), a Hornitos Sauza Blanco used only for margaritas, a couple local rums (Todd Thrasher has a rum distillery near here),  one handle of Smirnoff 100 proof vodka, and a handful of liqueurs bought because I was told to so we could try a cocktail calling for them.  (One cocktail and it goes into the back of the cabinet.)  The one amaro I have was a gift; it's not open.  I forgot the basic brandy which is used only in Crustas at Christmas and one gift scotch and one Lagavulin for my wife, and one Armagnac (bought to see what it tasted like neat).  Hhhhmmm.  I guess I DO have more non-whiskey stuff than I thought.:wub:

Ooohhh...I forgot about the Armagnac...I have a bottle of that too. 

• I like it 1

Well it's 5 o'clock somewhere. Mrs. Clueby is still sick and laying in bed with the dog so I've got a fire going (it's a balmy -3 outside) and reading a Stephen King novel while sipping on a barrel aged Old Fashioned. 

20240114_124908.jpg

• I like it 2

Negroni’s may be my favorite cocktail, at least of the non-whiskey variety.  They go well with any weather.  Saw that the blood oranges arrived at Publix, so that have me a perfect excuse to make a Negroni and sit out in the Sun before the polar express descends upon us here Down South this week.  

EEB680D7-47F2-4FDB-9D47-58C7CECB3FE6.jpeg

• I like it 3

Round 2 with a barrel aged ER10 OF.  This one is better, less sweet.

20240114_161538.jpg

• I like it 2

On 1/14/2024 at 2:30 PM, Clueby said:

Well it's 5 o'clock somewhere. Mrs. Clueby is still sick and laying in bed with the dog so I've got a fire going (it's a balmy -3 outside) and reading a Stephen King novel while sipping on a barrel aged Old Fashioned. 

20240114_124908.jpg

I hope Mrs. Clueby is feeling better!

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I hope Mrs. Clueby is feeling better!

She is...thanks. She was well enough today to help celebrate our grandson's first birthday. 

I know she's not 100% yet because I opened a fresh OWA tonight and she didn't want a pour. 🤣

20240115_145014.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

She is...thanks. She was well enough today to help celebrate our grandson's first birthday. 

I know she's not 100% yet because I opened a fresh OWA tonight and she didn't want a pour. 🤣

Great pic! Happy Birthday to your grandson! 🥳

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 2:57 PM, smokinjoe said:

Negroni’s may be my favorite cocktail, at least of the non-whiskey variety.  They go well with any weather.  Saw that the blood oranges arrived at Publix, so that have me a perfect excuse to make a Negroni and sit out in the Sun before the polar express descends upon us here Down South this week.  

EEB680D7-47F2-4FDB-9D47-58C7CECB3FE6.jpeg

Byooteeful pic, Joe!   Very nice composition, and wonderful colors!

Too lazy to do anything regarding genuine effort, and besides, it continues to rain outside.  Just enough ambition to do some indoor jobs, like mix up a Revolver.  😁

B8FA5284-200B-42B5-8813-5232AF0D666D.jpeg

I’m not a fan really of Winter.  Particularly, when the weather during the weekend is un-cooperative for outside pursuits.  Yesterday, it was rain.  Today, dark, cold (OK, 46 isn’t really cold…but it’s windy and damp from all of the rain we’ve had the last several days, and I’m generally a wuss in these situations. 🤣)

However, the bright side is that staying in on these days allows me to make cocktails that I won’t typically spend time making in nicer weather months.  Yesterday, it was a revolver and today it is a Greenpoint.  On a side note, while not all cocktails were created to be served in a coupe glass, those that call for one just seem to be better, for some reason…🤪

81232D52-D160-43D0-B091-074A6A7ABF7B.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

On 1/27/2024 at 2:52 PM, smokinjoe said:

Too lazy to do anything regarding genuine effort, and besides, it continues to rain outside.  Just enough ambition to do some indoor jobs, like mix up a Revolver.  😁

B8FA5284-200B-42B5-8813-5232AF0D666D.jpeg

I really like these.  Was making them to use up an old bottle of Kahlua but have now switched to Tia Maria.  Sometimes I add cocoa bitters in place of the orange bitters for a nice change.