What's the most that you've paid for a bottle?

Skinsfan1311

This is a fun thread. I think the most expensive bottle of bourbon was Nancy’s Cigar Blend at about $180.

On the other hand, the most expensive bottle of whisky ever was $410 for Kavalan Fino single barrel cask strength.

BC35B055-FB1A-41CE-B035-208A7ADD62F1.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 7/4/2023 at 7:05 PM, mal00768 said:

This is a fun thread. I think the most expensive bottle of bourbon was Nancy’s Cigar Blend at about $180.

On the other hand, the most expensive bottle of whisky ever was $410 for Kavalan Fino single barrel cask strength.

BC35B055-FB1A-41CE-B035-208A7ADD62F1.jpeg

How was/is the Kavalan?

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

How was/is the Kavalan?

It is exceptional. I took the plunge after I was able to try a sample of a cask strength Vino Baroque. Which was also exceptional.

It’s blows my mind a bit to think that there is an insane secondary market out there for things like Pappy, and Kavalan, etc is just ignored.

• I like it 2

The most I've ever spent is $200 for a bottle of Russell's Reserve 13.    Coincidently, it was quite the hit at our July 4 weekend poker game with neighbors at the beach.   Thankfully, I only had to walk home about 50 yards.   Only about a half inch is left at the bottom;  a pic will be coming soon to the Empty Bottle Support Group thread.   

• I like it 4

On 7/6/2023 at 12:39 PM, Jazzhead said:

The most I've ever spent is $200 for a bottle of Russell's Reserve 13.    Coincidently, it was quite the hit at our July 4 weekend poker game with neighbors at the beach.   Thankfully, I only had to walk home about 50 yards.   Only about a half inch is left at the bottom;  a pic will be coming soon to the Empty Bottle Support Group thread.   

I bet it was a hit😅

You're a better person than me. I wouldn't have broken that out. Not so much for the cost,(well that's part of the reason), but mainly that it's impossible to find around here.

• I like it 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, mal00768 said:

It is exceptional. I took the plunge after I was able to try a sample of a cask strength Vino Baroque. Which was also exceptional.

It’s blows my mind a bit to think that there is an insane secondary market out there for things like Pappy, and Kavalan, etc is just ignored.

I've tried Kavalan and liked it. I don't know which one, but remember being pleasantly surprised.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:26 AM, BigRich said:

Are we talking bourbon?  Because that would be $280 for last bottle of Pappy 23 I was able to get at retail.  Rye....I think the 16 yr Lock Stock  which was close to $200...maybe.  It's been a while.  Japanese whiskey was $150 for a Yamazaki 18 before they went crazy.  Irish.....I think around $700 with the exchange rate for a private selection of Redbreast 30 year old.  Scotch.....mmmm that's tough.  Somewhere in the $750 to $1000 range for a bottle of really old G&M Strathisla years ago but that bottle and my memory of the price paid are long gone.  

I kind of feel like this is a 'feel better about you are spending because look at what these fools are spending' kind of thread. 

I’m pretty similar to this. Most of my big purchases are scotch nowadays. Most expensive was a Laphroaig 32 for 1200 but 15% off during Binnys sale. This is a universally praised unicorn bottle, so no regrets, I’m sure it’ll be fantastic, but for now, it sits patiently in the bunker 

• I like it 3

On 7/7/2023 at 7:47 PM, jvd99 said:

I’m pretty similar to this. Most of my big purchases are scotch nowadays. Most expensive was a Laphroaig 32 for 1200 but 15% off during Binnys sale. This is a universally praised unicorn bottle, so no regrets, I’m sure it’ll be fantastic, but for now, it sits patiently in the bunker 

I'll bet that Laphroaig 32 is worth every penny, and then some.    You will definitely need to share your thoughts after you crack it open...

• I like it 1

$400 on two occasions. PVW23 and HH27. Wanted the Pappy to be “overhyped” but unfortunately it was exceptional.

Have not opened the HH.  Pretty box. 😂

• I like it 3

On 7/12/2023 at 4:43 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

$400 on two occasions. PVW23 and HH27. Wanted the Pappy to be “overhyped” but unfortunately it was exceptional.

Have not opened the HH.  Pretty box. 😂

the HH27 was an overhyped overoaked bomb

• I like it 1

I think the most I ever paid for a bottle was a Michter’s 20, for $400 + tax. 

I am often a Michter’s basher in general, but back when they started they were bottling a bunch of great NDP age stated stuff. I think this was a 2015 release?  At that point the M20 was still pretty epic. 

I’ve never paid crazy gouge prices in stores or big secondary prices. I was too blessed to enjoy lots of the good stuff before the boom fired up where I haven’t felt the need to pay huge dollars to scratch curiosity itches. Having tried most of the famous bottles, I’d have a very hard time paying big money like $1K+ for any bottle. If I were to pay that kind of money, it would be for the old ryes from the Medley/Cream of a Kentucky era. There were multiple producers / releases of that stuff that I miss, including the tanked-era VWFRR, as much as I don’t like to add to the hype on VW-anything. 

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, geclbxf said:

the HH27 was an overhyped overoaked bomb

This is what I have heard from multiple trusted palates that generally enjoy a strong oak profile.  So the bottle sits for now, maybe on my 27th wedding anniversary I’ll get the urge. Lol

• I like it 2

33 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I think the most I ever paid for a bottle was a Michter’s 20, for $400 + tax. 

I think the M20 was up to $500 (several years ago) when I first passed. I decided to pony up the following year and the price jumped to something like $700-800 so I again passed and have never looked back at it. 

I did get to try a pour a few years ago and it was great.  Profile wise it reminded me a lot of a lower proof KoK, so BF is my current guess on source. 

41 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I think the M20 was up to $500 (several years ago) when I first passed. I decided to pony up the following year and the price jumped to something like $700-800 so I again passed and have never looked back at it. 

I did get to try a pour a few years ago and it was great.  Profile wise it reminded me a lot of a lower proof KoK, so BF is my current guess on source. 

To the best of my knowledge it did turn to BF stock at least for a few years. It was still tasty the last time I tried it a few years back. The last one I bought was believed to be around the end of their SW stock I think

I think the highest retail-wise was $299.99 for Booker's Rye.

I also bought myself a Red Breast 21y Irish that was about the same price.

Not getting into secondary, as some of you know my spouse. :P

• I like it 3

50 minutes ago, 0895 said:

She's not reading this. Fess up. 🤣

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

She's not reading this. Fess up. 🤣

Ya’ think @0895 is being presumptive @Clueby ? 😉

• I like it 1

Very Extra Old Fitzgerald to Skinners.jpg

"Very Extra Old Fitzgerald 10 year gift set.  Distilled in 1956 under Julian Van Winkle's ("Pappy") presidency and bottled in 1966 (the year I graduated from high school) during Julian Van Winkle II's term at the helm.  Took it to my friends at Skinner Auctions for an appraisal but, after getting up off the floor after learning the price, decided to keep it and share with The Boss and my favorite Master Mixer (Nancy) on the left coast."

Finally made it back to the Left Coast last month.  Caught a direct BOS-SFO flight at O-dark-hundred on a Thursday morning, but only had less than a day in California before heading to Oregon for two (2) days and then back home.  Led a party of nine (9) that included SWMBO, 2 daughters, 1 S-I-L, and 4 (of the 5) grandkids for my Mom's Memorial service in Fremont, CA .  She was 97 and died of old age, not Covid, a couple of years ago.  Left early the next morning to fly to Portland, OR to conduct some family business in Corvallis and lay my Mom's ashes with my Dad's in the family forest (just across the road from the Airlie Winery) and then back home to Boston Sunday.  All this story is an attempt to justify not getting together with The Boss and Nancy on this trip. I still owe you guys . . . .  😇

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 12

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

"Very Extra Old Fitzgerald 10 year gift set.  Distilled in 1956 under Julian Van Winkle's ("Pappy") presidency and bottled in 1966 (the year I graduated from high school) during Julian Van Winkle II's term at the helm.  Took it to my friends at Skinner Auctions for an appraisal but, after getting up off the floor after learning the price, decided to keep it and share with The Boss and my favorite Master Mixer (Nancy) on the left coast."

Finally made it back to the Left Coast last month.  Caught a direct BOS-SFO flight at O-dark-hundred on a Thursday morning, but only had less than a day in California before heading to Oregon for two (2) days and then back home.  Led a party of nine (9) that included SWMBO, 2 daughters, 1 S-I-L, and 4 (of the 5) grandkids for my Mom's Memorial service in Fremont, CA .  She was 97 and died of old age, not Covid, a couple of years ago.  Left early the next morning to fly to Portland, OR to conduct some family business in Corvallis and lay my Mom's ashes with my Dad's in the family forest (just across the road from the Airlie Winery) and then back home to Boston Sunday.  All this story is an attempt to justify not getting together with The Boss and Nancy on this trip. I still owe you guys . . . .  😇

And here I thought I was long winded…..🤭

• I like it 3

Two GTS 2014 @ MSRP in late 2014, one from a local and one via an SBer who was in the retail bidness.  $400 for a 2018 GTS @ the local what sold me one of the 2014s, purchased really early 2019.  Other than a couple Cigar Blends at about $140, no other bourbon purchases exceeded $100 not including sales taxes.

I have never sold any of my finds on the secondary market; haven’t traded, either, but gifting . . .?

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Very Extra Old Fitzgerald to Skinners.jpg

So...to answer the question in the OP??😉

9 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

So...to answer the question in the OP??😉

I was helping one of SWMBO's co-workers move the liquor from her Uncle's house after he died.  Had a lot of 50's and 60's whiskey ('56/'57 Crown Royal, early 60's Johny Walker Black, etc).  He had this one tucked away lying flat on a bookshelf behind the bar - the the seal was intact and the fill level was still upper mid-shoulder in the bottle.  Skinner made an estimate of $1800 at auction.  She said "keep it for helping out" but I gave her $1800 cash and never looked back!  Distilled when I was 8, bottled when I graduated from Corvallis Senior High School.  "Pappy" and son involved, Stitzel Weller nectar, gold veined shot glasses & bottle, cool gift box - where was I going to find another like it again???

Paid more for some old scotch (The Macallan 25 and "over 25" Anniversary in the wood box with the leather straps come to mind), but that's the most I've ever paid for a great bottle of bourbon.  "And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!"   🤑

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 8

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I was helping one of SWMBO's co-workers move the liquor from her Uncle's house after he died.  Had a lot of 50's and 60's whiskey ('56/'57 Crown Royal, early 60's Johny Walker Black, etc).  He had this one tucked away lying flat on a bookshelf behind the bar - the the seal was intact and the fill level was still upper mid-shoulder in the bottle.  Skinner made an estimate of $1800 at auction.  She said "keep it for helping out" but I gave her $1800 cash and never looked back!  Distilled when I was 8, bottled when I graduated from Corvallis Senior High School.  "Pappy" and son involved, Stitzel Weller nectar, gold veined shot glasses & bottle, cool gift box - where was I going to find another like it again???

Paid more for some old scotch (The Macallan 25 and "over 25" Anniversary in the wood box with the leather straps come to mind), but that's the most I've ever paid for a great bottle of bourbon.  "And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!"   🤑

Cool story...thanks for sharing!!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, I was thinking of asking this exact question myself.  My most expensive bottle was $169.99 (actually got 2 bottles) before taxes for Pappy 20 several years ago. I think I've only spent over 100 bucks on a bottle <20 times in 13 years...mostly scotch.  My other $100+ bourbons/ryes from my memory are more Pappy 20s at $149, a Bardstown Discovery 8 at $145ish, a Black Maple Hill 23 year rye at around $135 (I think) and a Hirsch 22 rye at maybe $120ish.

• I like it 1

Oh.  I forgot the WT Master’s Keeps.  Four different ones at MSRPs of about $180 or so.

• I like it 2