What's the most that you've paid for a bottle?

Skinsfan1311

On 8/2/2023 at 11:17 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Oh.  I forgot the WT Master’s Keeps.  Four different ones at MSRPs of about $180 or so.

CRS diesease rears her ugly head again!   😂

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

CRS diesease rears her ugly head again!   😂

I like the gender specificity here! Haha.🤣

• I like it 2

45 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

I like the gender specificity here! Haha.🤣

Yeah, SWMBO continues to remind me of my affliction(s) . . . . . . .  :ph34r:

• I like it 1

Speaking of CRS. The presidency of the CRS club bounced back and forth between me and @Vosgar depending on which one of us last forgot something. With Gary’s passing, I guess I’m the permanent President ‘round here.

Just recently there was some banter between myself and the lady that I coach Special Olympics bowling with. She had to be gone one week. That week I received some paperwork from the parents of one of our kids. I also got the scores and receipt from the control counter. Well, I had the paperwork for two weeks and kept forgetting to give it to her. She messaged me about something, and I told her I had paperwork that I’d forgotten to give her. I told her I had CRS disease, and asked her to remind me at practice to give her the paperwork. She said welcome to the CRS club. I told her that I was the president of the CRS club. Her response: “Glad to have you as my president.” 🫣

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Yeah, SWMBO continues to remind me of my affliction(s) . . . . . . .  :ph34r:

Do you think THEY go to class to learn this?  OR, is it genetic?  Maybe a female SBer can enlighten us Clods.:wacko:

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Do you think THEY go to class to learn this?  OR, is it genetic?  Maybe a female SBer can enlighten us Clods.:wacko:

Genetic.

• I like it 2

...And, I believe, gender specific.   Passed exclusively through mitochondrial DNA, I think.

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

...And, I believe, gender specific.   Passed exclusively through mitochondrial DNA, I think.

Welcome, fellow nerd, to our esoteric discussion!  I think I know what he said . . . . .   🤩

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Welcome, fellow nerd, to our esoteric discussion!  I think I know what he said . . . . .   🤩

I know you said you understood what I said. But what you understood might not have been what I meant. Therefore, what I said might not have been understood the way I meant it. 🤔

Also and FWIW, CRS won’t affect me remembering this from my nephew.

123_1.thumb.jpeg.9f4a6b1a7e68718bb88a04c950340f7a.jpeg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Mitochondrial DNA only passed from mother to offspring.

• I like it 2

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a bottle of a 1893 vintage Armagnac for $2,500. I only did it because it was a 19th century product, and often those things are in the 10's of thousands of dollars, if not more, so I got a pretty good deal. 

• I like it 9

10 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a bottle of a 1893 vintage Armagnac for $2,500. I only did it because it was a 19th century product, and often those things are in the 10's of thousands of dollars, if not more, so I got a pretty good deal. 

I only WISH I could say I've spent that much on a bottle... and felt I'd gotten a good deal.   But, of course, my means being limited, and my knowledge even more so, I'd never have the nerve!   Good for you, Nancy!

• I like it 1

On 8/2/2023 at 11:17 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Oh.  I forgot the WT Master’s Keeps.  Four different ones at MSRPs of about $180 or so.

Master's Keep!   My white whale!

The only one's that I've seen were obscenely overpriced, in my cheap-ass opinion,

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on those at MSRP   

On 8/8/2023 at 7:51 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

And? How did it taste?

• I like it 3

On 8/10/2023 at 8:52 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

And? How did it taste?

@Skinsfan1311 Actually, it's really, really good! It went from the oak barrels into carboys in the 1930,'s, and wasn't bottled until about 2010. I have some Armagnac bottles from the 1930's that aren't all that to write about, and the 19th century Armagnac is much better than those. About 9 or 10 years ago, I did a tasting at my house that I called "Three Centuries of Vintage Armagnac" that had 19th, 20th, and 21st century Armagnacs. That 19th century bottle, along with a bottle I have from 1976 and 1983, were the favorites. I still have half a bottle left of the 1893, so I probably should put it in a smaller bottle at this point. 

• I like it 5

On 8/8/2023 at 5:03 PM, Richnimrod said:

I only WISH I could say I've spent that much on a bottle... and felt I'd gotten a good deal.   But, of course, my means being limited, and my knowledge even more so, I'd never have the nerve!   Good for you, Nancy!

I'll probably never do that kind of nonsense in my life again, I just happened to have the dough at the time and could spring for it. If it wasn't a good 19th century bottle, there's no way I would ever do that again. 

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Skinsfan1311 Actually, it's really, really good! It went from the oak barrels into carboys in the 1930,'s, and wasn't bottled until about 2010. I have some Armagnac bottles from the 1930's that aren't all that to write about, and the 19th century Armagnac is much better than those. About 9 or 10 years ago, I did a tasting at my house that I called "Three Centuries of Vintage Armagnac" that had 19th, 20th, and 21st century Armagnacs. That 19th century bottle, along with a bottle I have from 1976 and 1983, were the favorites. I still have half a bottle left of the 1893, so I probably should put it in a smaller bottle at this point. 

8 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

I'll probably never do that kind of nonsense in my life again, I just happened to have the dough at the time and could spring for it. If it wasn't a good 19th century bottle, there's no way I would ever do that again. 

Thanks!

I've always wanted to try Armagnac but haven't pulled the trigger, because I've never cared for brandy.  From what I've read, Armagnac is more rich, and flavorful.  I'll definitely give it a try.

• I like it 2

$86.99 X 3 for a 3 bottle sleeve of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old at Costco in late 2018.

20181216_145945.jpg

• I like it 3

Bottles that I actually remember? 😏

2010 or 2011-$92.99 for a Pappy 20

2012-$99.99 for a Pappy 20

A bottle that I don’t remember? Not sure of the who, what, when, where, or how, but I seem to remember paying $125.00 for a bottle somewhere along the line. 😐

Multi bottle purchase? 😁 of course, Weller Whore that I am, a case of a Binny’s ps Weller 12. 😘

IMG_2183.thumb.jpeg.500331143bae3034a36888a7c60f2202.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, MJL said:

$86.99 X 3 for a 3 bottle sleeve of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old at Costco in late 2018.

20181216_145945.jpg

Nice!

The 15 year is my favorite.

• I like it 1

Actually,  after some reflection I think the most that I've paid for a single bottle was in July 2023. ABC Florida gave me a one day, one bottle access to "the vault" and this is what I chose. 

Screenshot_20230725_104745_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• I like it 3

$350 on that first RR13.

No regrets.

Most expensive one given to me: Client paid $2,000 for a KoK on Caskers as a gift. He seemed happy with my work. And I have been slowly enjoying every last drop of that wonderful whiskey. 

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 6

• 2 weeks later...

So not a bourbon but a scotch. 

I got really into Game of  Thrones and was collecting all of the special release scotches. The only one I could not find was the Oban the Nights Watch. 

I paid $270 for it. But it completed my set. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

The most I've ever paid for a bottle was a dusty WT Split Label, the only bottle I've ever purchased off the secondary market.  Price was $725.    I hate the secondary bourbon market but that's the only way I could find that split label.  All my other WT12's I have on hand were purchased either overseas at retail (while they were still selling at retail) or else through private swaps with bottles that I paid retail for.

As far as retail, the highest priced bottle I've bought would be the Redbreast 27 yr that I just bought last week while traveling in Ireland.  It was 520 euros at the duty free.

Next after the RB27 would be my only bottle of Booker's Rye which I paid $300 for.  I could have bought another at $330 a week later but like an idiot I passed.  Things were different in 2016. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

17 hours ago, Kepler said:

Next after the RB27 would be my only bottle of Booker's Rye which I paid $300 for.  I could have bought another at $330 a week later but like an idiot I passed.  Things were different in 2016.

I feel your pain.  I passed on a backup Booker's 25th at bevmo because it was $130, 30% over msrp.  I had just recently bought one for $100.  That was in 2014, I think..

• I like it 1