What did you purchase this Spring? (2024)

markandrex

47 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I actually stopped at Binny’s for something else, then changed my mind. What can I say? 🤷🏻 Not HH 18, but HH nonetheless. I’ve been sharing my HH BIB Blend lately at our bourbon/beer/cigar get togethers. Even though I have a half a handle left, I figured I’d get prepared. “Know what I mean Vern?” 😉

IMG_4541.thumb.jpeg.806a4f7aee587c2ab0d1aa31b4cea8d9.jpeg

Your purchases would make @PaulO proud and Heaven Hill happy.  Just curious, do you have a preference?  I guess this is a silly question.  Are they the same mashbill?

38 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Your purchases would make @PaulO proud and Heaven Hill happy.  Just curious, do you have a preference?  I guess this is a silly question.  Are they the same mashbill?

I’m not sure if they are the same mashbill. The EW BIB seems to be the easiest to find, and most of the guys here in our group prefer it. IMHO, my blend is pretty decent. I get to have some fun, and I also share a lot. 😎

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Very nice snag - congrats on the pickup.  Let us know how it tastes whenever you get around to opening it.  

But to me, TW Grand Reserve will only become "worth it" when you don't have to stand in line for 2 hours competing with other taters.  They need to use "technology" more than they currently do (email or phone calls, Lol) and hold bottles for people so they can go pick up their bottles at their own convenience.  I hate these tater events that promote lines.   It's great for the store, but it sucks for the buying public.

That would be greatly preferred if they can find a "fair" way to do this, I could tell that I'm getting too old to be waiting in these lines.  For now, I'll deal with it since I've never won a raffle and these events are the only place I've gotten decent bottles.  I know if these were raffled, I would not have gotten the email and would be stuck paying 50+ for a pour since there's no way I'd drop a grand to get one on the secondary market.

Hopefully we'll be cracking this in the next few weeks and I'll post some notes.  If it's anywhere near how great HH17 was, this bottle may not last too long.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Cibsie said:

That would be greatly preferred if they can find a "fair" way to do this, I could tell that I'm getting too old to be waiting in these lines.  For now, I'll deal with it since I've never won a raffle and these events are the only place I've gotten decent bottles.  I know if these were raffled, I would not have gotten the email and would be stuck paying 50+ for a pour since there's no way I'd drop a grand to get one on the secondary market.

Hopefully we'll be cracking this in the next few weeks and I'll post some notes.  If it's anywhere near how great HH17 was, this bottle may not last too long.

Helluva score though! 👍

• I like it 1

So, xx xxx xx xx xxx xxxxx. Xxx xx xxxx xxxxx xx. Xxxx xxx X xxx?  🤷🏻

IMG_4561.thumb.jpeg.8aed0250fc912f3ec461a0daac20b862.jpegIMG_4567.thumb.jpeg.daa6a3570772ff016ba4d033d23ad953.jpeg

• I like it 6

9 hours ago, Cibsie said:

Just tried the 18 last night SBS against the 17 and it was light years better than the 17. I've had the 17 before and it's always just "ok" to me but it has gotten better with some air. The 18 is in a different league.

20240518_220421.jpg

• I like it 7

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Huh?

7 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Huh?

Basically, SOS DD. In other words, my usual spiel in x’s. Gotta try and change things up a bit ya’ know. 😂

“So, we had to go out today. May as well stock up. What can I say?”

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Basically, SOS DD. In other words, my usual spiel in x’s. Gotta try and change things up a bit ya’ know. 😂

“So, we had to go out today. May as well stock up. What can I say?”

Ahh, ok got it. Thought you were inventing a new language or something.  I figured @mbroo5880i understood your gibberish, because you received a Like from him, haha.

At any rate, I did notice that your regular "MM girl" dipped your Maker's bottles with her red wax signature.  Well done Joe!

Just now, Kepler said:

Ahh, ok got it. Thought you were inventing a new language or something.  I figured @mbroo5880i understood your gibberish, because you received a Like from him, haha.

At any rate, I did notice that your regular "MM girl" dipped your Maker's bottles with her red wax signature.  Well done Joe!

It looks like my gal did dip the handle. The long drip is on the back. It’s 50/50 on the MM 101. The long drip is on the side.

I hardly almost never plan a trip to the liquor store. If we go shopping, I’ll take a look see at a liquor store. Where we go shopping determines what store I’ll stop at. Sadly, there’s only a couple of non tater stores left in our area.

As for my jargon here, my posts here are usually, “So, we were out and about today. Stopped by a liquor store on the way home. And so on and so on.” Just changing things up and trying not be so boring. 🥱

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

IMG_4561.thumb.jpeg.8aed0250fc912f3ec461a0daac20b862.jpegIMG_4567.thumb.jpeg.daa6a3570772ff016ba4d033d23ad953.jpeg

MM101 is probably my favorite iteration of MM.   I don't dig the paper label though....I thought that that the gold lettering on the earlier released are beautiful and I'm going to assume that you saved one of those gold letter embossed bottles too?    

• I like it 1

On 5/18/2024 at 9:20 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Indeed, I like all of those bottled in bond brands.

I believe they are all the same mash bill.  HH has something like 67 warehouses, so it must come down to barrel selection for the various profiles.  Dant reminds me of rye bread.  JTS Brown is liquid Cracker Jack (the sweet popcorn with a prize).

• I like it 3

On 5/16/2024 at 1:52 PM, FasterHorses said:

IMG_6416.thumb.jpeg.5071e1f91e8d7323ef705d233c2cf25c.jpeg

Wasnt in the market to buy today but couldnt resist a 139 proof. 

Wow! Where did you pickup that one?

I picked up a 135pf last week at Port Royal.

Gonna ride the wave as long as possible. Here’s todays grabs. FWIW, I had a chance at Blanton’s Gold And Taylor Single Barrel a week ago but passed. 

IMG_4586.thumb.jpeg.140b6c36d195d65602460373fa2ba494.jpeg

• I like it 6

Another find that I technically didn't buy.

My wife was TDY in South Korea the last 10 days, and she picked these up in the duty free shop on her way back.

We'll do a blind between the NCF she brought home and a regular Rare Breed this weekend.

20240520_174648.thumb.jpg.83ff18a0baa8d7a633dc6648d921794d.jpg

• I like it 10

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Gonna ride the wave as long as possible. Here’s todays grabs. FWIW, I had a chance at Blanton’s Gold And Taylor Single Barrel a week ago but passed. 

One does not simply pass on Blanton's Gold! (Unless priced at secondary.)

Screenshot_20240520_225556_Google.jpg

• I like it 3

59 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Let me clarify. I was told about a store that had some. I knew that by the time I got in my car and drove over there they’d be gone. Believe it or not, it’s happened before. I was told the Blanton's Gold was $127.00, and the Taylor Single Barrel was $80.00. The Blanton’s and two Weller SR’s I bought today cost less than the Blanton’s Gold. I’m happy. I’d be happier if OWA would show up. 😏

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

MM101 is probably my favorite iteration of MM.   I don't dig the paper label though....I thought that that the gold lettering on the earlier released are beautiful and I'm going to assume that you saved one of those gold letter embossed bottles too?    

Yeah, I have a couple more left. Not sure how long I’ll keep one of ‘em though. 

IMG_4590.thumb.jpeg.eb093237bf61d88ea78f911165ae7f2f.jpeg

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Screenshot_20240520_225556_Google.jpg

And it's a 70cl bottle!  😂

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yeah, I have a couple more left. Not sure how long I’ll keep one of ‘em though. 

IMG_4590.thumb.jpeg.eb093237bf61d88ea78f911165ae7f2f.jpeg

Same.

I'm only going to keep one.  

• I like it 1

Mail call from WT today.  CN-E 4th floor.  VA 9 years and 2 months.

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

• I like it 7

James Pepper, Doc Swinson. Expensive but well worth it. Cheaper than Blanton's SiB , but much better. Have stopped the hunt for Blanton's, even though my LS, puts aside 2 for me every quarter, I've told him to sell to others.  don't know why the flavor of Blanton's has changed or maybe it's me...

• I like it 2

On 5/11/2024 at 10:30 PM, Davesnothere said:

The JD rye is 135 pf and drinks like 100pf.

Truth. That stuff is phenomenal. Just sent a 2nd bottle to a supplier/buddy/store owner in France after he went nuts over the first one I gave him. It's just so good. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better value.

• I like it 2

We decided to relax today after a long week.  Chilled this morning, then decided to order pizza for a mid afternoon lunch. On the way to pick up our pizza, I ran into the grocery store to grab a 2 liter RC. I figured that I’d make a quick stop in the liquor department since I needed a bottle of MM for my new personalized MM Ambassador Father Day label. To my surprise, a few bottles of BT were on the shelf. So I walked out of the grocery store with RC, MM, and BT. 🤗

IMG_4663.thumb.jpeg.ea522529843fbf03099f047d607066cb.jpegIMG_4666.thumb.jpeg.5fa43c51122b2d55e43c7a495368459f.jpeg

• I like it 4