markandrex

It’s been a long week. Weller ladder tonight 🙂

Oh crap! It’s only Tuesday. 🤦🏻

IMG_4229.thumb.jpeg.6fbd712e8909ea59b8fc79c1338c1ad6.jpeg

• I like it 7

Weller ladder, +1. 😐

IMG_4233.thumb.jpeg.772bb3c626f50b90a01e39adc7517d62.jpeg

• I like it 4

I have been outside prepping the pool mechanicals to open this weekend.  I decided to reward myself.

Top of the Flock

image0.jpeg

• I like it 7

Whelp.

Had a friend over who knows even less than I do. Last time we determined that he likes higher rye bourbons. So we tried things in the order listed. Turns out he’s a barely legal rye guy. He loved OO CS 10y and BBC WV rye. He really liked WTMK Unforgotten, the JDSBBP, and the OE7. Nothing was to be despised.

St Cloud 7y (meh), Remus V (good), 4R LE 2022 (very good), WTMK Unforgotten (very good), OO CS 10y (very good), Michter BS Rye (very good), JD SBBP R (very good), Belgrove 100% Rye (I do so love that bottle), Peerless High Rye bourbon (good but hot), BBC WV Rye (very good), OE7 Rye (quite good).

Rye 2.jpg

Rye 1.jpg

• I like it 7

Wheater Wednesday...

bardstwht.thumb.jpg.35e0a860ee3d3f7f65ffa12fd91c659e.jpg

Busted open a last-year Origin. Did a couple pours; not bad. Finished with an OWA. Sorry but old school won, hands down. I really wish OWA was an easy pick-up like "the strip" hookers...

• I like it 5

After-dinner pour of 2023 13th Colony Double Oaked.  This is amazing.  Bacon, maple, chocolate amazingly complex.  The color is remarkable.

IMG_1294.jpeg

• I like it 4

The ECBP bottle from the Bottle Your Own tour at HH. Good grief, those are good. I really do believe them when they say they save their best for those tours.

For the Cheap Bastard(s): On that BYO tour I watched were people sat. And then sat next to an empty seat that had the full tasting glasses sitting there. Someone would have dumped them out. Impermissible. I did my duty. Double tasting! No one objected. I figured best to ask forgiveness instead of permission. Pro Tip?

Justified the $40 for the tour.

• I like it 14

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

The ECBP bottle from the Bottle Your Own tour at HH. Good grief, those are good. I really do believe them when they say they save their best for those tours.

For the Cheap Bastard(s): On that BYO tour I watched were people sat. And then sat next to an empty seat that had the full tasting glasses sitting there. Someone would have dumped them out. Impermissible. I did my duty. Double tasting! No one objected. I figured best to ask forgiveness instead of permission. Pro Tip?

As a charter member of the Cheap Bastard Club, I approve.

I  did something similar at MM, where the tour was much cheaper😉

It wasn't a planned strategy,  but it was happenstance,  as  the samples are already poured, before each group goes in the tasting room.  The group wasn't full, so we sat in the back row, next to a couple empty seats.   Naturally, I couldn't let those samples go to waste.😁

If memory serves, it was standard Maker's,  46, CS, Private Selection and maybe something else. Might have a Pic somewhere.

Anyhoooo...for the Cheap Bastard Bonus Round, in addition to the empy seat pours, the elderly couple next to offered me his and his wife's samples, because they were there to visit the grounds, and they don't drink.

After a couple, I had to turn them down, because it was our first tour of the day.

We did a tasting experience at HH. don't remember the cost, but it wasn't pricey, and included some very good pours. They also held back a few bottles for the tour group to purchase. My buddy bought a William Heavenhill 14 or 16 year...I couldn't tell, buy he paid ~ $250.00.  I passed but, in retrospect,  I wish I would have.  It's very good.

FB_IMG_1713484198336.jpg

• I like it 7

19 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

As a charter member of the Cheap Bastard Club, I approve.

I  did something similar at MM, where the tour was much cheaper😉

It wasn't a planned strategy,  but it was happenstance,  as  the samples are already poured, before each group goes in the tasting room.  The group wasn't full, so we sat in the back row, next to a couple empty seats.   Naturally, I couldn't let those samples go to waste.😁

If memory serves, it was standard Maker's,  46, CS, Private Selection and maybe something else. Might have a Pic somewhere.

Anyhoooo...for the Cheap Bastard Bonus Round, in addition to the empy seat pours, the elderly couple next to offered me his and his wife's samples, because they were there to visit the grounds, and they don't drink.

After a couple, I had to turn them down, because it was our first tour of the day.

We did a tasting experience at HH. don't remember the cost, but it wasn't pricey, and included some very good pours. They also held back a few bottles for the tour group to purchase. My buddy bought a William Heavenhill 14 or 16 year...I couldn't tell, buy he paid ~ $250.00.  I passed but, in retrospect,  I wish I would have.  It's very good.

This is Meaningful. I feel Affirmed.

Sounds like MM was fun...as far as you remember!

I had a similar experience at Lux Row...they were trying to convert a Scotch guy to bourbon. He'd take the tiniest sip and hand it over. Could not let the LR12 and OE7 Rye go to waste!

I have a HH17 waiting for me in Ohio. Buddy said it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to it.

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

This is Meaningful. I feel Affirmed.

Sounds like MM was fun...as far as you remember!

I had a similar experience at Lux Row...they were trying to convert a Scotch guy to bourbon. He'd take the tiniest sip and hand it over. Could not let the LR12 and OE7 Rye go to waste!

I have a HH17 waiting for me in Ohio. Buddy said it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to it.

If it's anything like the 16 year, then you're in for a real treat.

It sounds like you've been converted 😅

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Definitely a pro tip! I've done similar.

• I like it 2

Flying tonight. 🦅

855muq.jpeg.f1b96c8ab5a11d8c9894f52f50700576.jpegIMG_4246.thumb.jpeg.40e9f83f2f2671ab9cae5bbd7d22f6a7.jpeg

• I like it 7

9 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It sounds like you've been converted 😅

My first ECBP was the BYOB nearly 2 years ago, first time on the trail. Love at first sight. It has continued to grow. The only things they make that I don't really care for are the Berheim, the regular Larceny (though I look forward to mixing it with the L BP), and the EC toasted. The ECBP's, most of the Larceny BP, the HHSS (BYOB only), the Old Fitz, the wonderful PHC16....this is my wheelhouse. Yum.

• I like it 3

@Anwalt   Found the MM sampler pic!   It looks like the "other" was the Maker's White.   

maker's tasting.jpg

• I like it 4

MMCA & SFTB 131.6 earlier today with Obree online for giggles.

• I like it 4

11 hours ago, Anwalt said:

MMCA & SFTB 131.6 earlier today with Obree online for giggles.

Two of my all-time faves!  Yummo.  🥳

• I like it 1

I love these bottles. Last night’s entertainment. 

The label says, “wheated, defiantly smooth” and also should read, “cinnamon, no heat”

IMG_2221.jpeg

• I like it 2

In searching thru the shelves for some nice bottles to offer at "The Gazebo" in Bardstown next weekend, I ran across an older bottle (green felt, fake tax stamp, etc,) of Henry McKenna 10-year BiB.   I was kinda rationing this one, as it's among the best I've had, and I've had many stellar bottles of HMcK 10.   I'm having a generous pour now, and will take it to KY next weekend.   It's well under half, so maybe we'll kill it there.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

In searching thru the shelves for some nice bottles to offer at "The Gazebo" in Bardstown next weekend, I ran across an older bottle (green felt, fake tax stamp, etc,) of Henry McKenna 10-year BiB.   I was kinda rationing this one, as it's among the best I've had, and I've had many stellar bottles of HMcK 10.   I'm having a generous pour now, and will take it to KY next weekend.   It's well under half, so maybe we'll kill it there.

Given that it's bottled in bond, you may determine by examining the label, that could be some "pre fire" DSP 31 distilled whiskey.  👍

I say that because of the older style label, and it was 10 years old when bottled.

• I like it 1

The Simplicity lost a front tire to dry rot over the winter, so it's up on a jack stand for the long moment.  This means the push mower was called up from the bullpen to pitch the entire 9 innings.  Two and a half hours later I'm enjoying this fine pour to commemorate the 1,920 passes I most certainly made with the ancient, oil-chuffing Toro.  

Happy Saturday all!

IMG_20240420_152116__01__01.jpg

• I like it 9

It's back porch weather!

I'm gearing up for the Stanley Cup playoffs, Go Caps!!!, with the Canes/Islanders on the tube,  and the Nats/Astros in between periods.

Coopers' Craft 100 in the glass.

Nub Cameroon in the ashtray.

20240420_174826.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

After being busy all week with kids, in-laws and actual work, I haven't had a sit-down, clear-mind bourbon-relaxation pour all week. In fact, today was a backyard, chainsaw a$$-whooping that I didn't enjoy, in the least.  Sooooooo, I started the ralaxation (finally) with a Rebecca Creek 12 yr, 123proof, bottle finish. This is a good bourbon and the best by far, Texas bourbon that I have had. The double oak sweetness is quite good, but at 123 proof, not really what I wanted. I did finish the bottle, however and digging on the oak presence, switched to the Bulliet 10yr. At this particular moment in my life, this is the best bourbon in the free world; for now.

Bulliet 10, second pour; Indeed...

• I like it 3

OGD BiB in the decanter and in the fancy glass.

Reminds me of the shit‐kicker bar we used to haunt up in PA before deer season. 

Dark, smoke-filled, cheap beer, bottles on the bar marked with prices of a shot, written on masking tape affixed to the bottles, a chalkboard with the names of people who have been banned for life. Some of the folks on the board had the same last name. 🤔Brother and sister? Husband and wife?  🫤

They didn't have the best selection,  but there was always WT101 and OGD BiB on hand.   The whiskey always tastes great out those old shot glasses...

20240420_200142.jpg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

Given that it's bottled in bond, you may determine by examining the label, that could be some "pre fire" DSP 31 distilled whiskey.  👍

I say that because of the older style label, and it was 10 years old when bottled.

Nope.   DSP #1.   Missed the cut by about a year -an-a-half; but, this barrel is one of the best I ever found.   I only managed to find 4-bottles, and sadly this is the last one from this barrel.

• I like it 1

Yesterday was James E Pepper, new to me, pretty good. KC9 and a OF 1920. Yum....

• I like it 4