Bourbon Availability Downunder

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's not Bourbon, but it's a close cousin..... Dan Murphys has listed Crown Royal as 'coming soon' with a retail price of $55. This is definately one Canadian Whiskey I'm keen to get a bottle or two of and can't wait :)

It's not Bourbon, but it's a close cousin..... Dan Murphys has listed Crown Royal as 'coming soon' with a retail price of $55. This is definately one Canadian Whiskey I'm keen to get a bottle or two of and can't wait :)

I'm keen to try the Crown Royal too Cam. Heard good things about it.

Wow. I'm shocked that Crown Royal has not made it to Oz before now. :shocked: Actually, more than shocked...Really????

Wow. I'm shocked that Crown Royal has not made it to Oz before now. :shocked: Actually, more than shocked...Really????

Yeah Joe, not only do our prices suck, the availability is still pretty limited... Canadian Club is the only Canadian Whiskey on our market :(

Yeah, only ever seen it in specialty stores at a much higher price.

• 1 month later...

Nicks don't stock OGD 114 anymore. Does any other store in Australia stock it?

What American whiskeys do you see most often in stores down there, and what do they cost now?

I was told Early Times, Jim Beam, and Jack Daniels is everywhere, but that's about the extent of the commonly seen ones.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm curious as to what is the most common, and what you pay for that.

Edited by Alden

What American whiskeys do you see most often in stores down there, and what do they cost now?

I was told Early Times, Jim Beam, and Jack Daniels is everywhere, but that's about the extent of the commonly seen ones.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm curious as to what is the most common, and what you pay for that.

For perhaps the best range in the country, try the following link. Look at the prices too.

http://www.nicks.com.au/CategoryList.aspx?OrderBy=0&AvailableYN=Y&ProductCategoryCode=SPLI&ProductTypeId=1&MenuSrc=67.380

I can understand higher prices for imported goods but the way those brands are priced doesn't follow any pattern I'm familiar with.

Aussie dollar is .97 on the US dollar, so those prices are high. Esp. for the Hirsh 16 yo. Almost a grand. Wow.

Most of the others seem to be about double what we pay here.

Aussie dollar is .97 on the US dollar, so those prices are high. Esp. for the Hirsh 16 yo. Almost a grand. Wow.

Most of the others seem to be about double what we pay here.

If you're looking at Nicks.com.au, they're a small one or two retail store outlet and don't have the buying power of Dan Murphys which has hundreds of stores nationwide. Nicks will always be more expensive, but they bring in a lot of stuff that isn't available anywhere else in the country.

Nicks don't stock OGD 114 anymore. Does any other store in Australia stock it?

If you're looking at Nicks.com.au, they're a small one or two retail store outlet and don't have the buying power of Dan Murphys which has hundreds of stores nationwide. Nicks will always be more expensive, but they bring in a lot of stuff that isn't available anywhere else in the country.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I have a distinct dislike of any whiskey that isn't bourbon, rye or Canadian.....

Mark I'm under the impression the Bourbon or American style whiskys available there are imported bulk whiskys that are bottled in Australia. The brand names (Couger) may be unique to that market but the whisky is the same as what we get here or is exported elsewhere.

Mark I'm under the impression the Bourbon or American style whiskys available there are imported bulk whiskys that are bottled in Australia. The brand names (Couger) may be unique to that market but the whisky is the same as what we get here or is exported elsewhere.

That probably raises a few points that need clarification....

1. Australian Whiskey is Whiskey that is distilled and barreled here by the many micro-distilleries that are popping up mostly in the southern states of Australia. Google Bakery Hill or Lark Distillery for two examples.

2. Some companies import bulk (Bourbon) whiskey from the US in stainless steel tanks and bottle here in Australia. I'd have to re-check that it's still the case, but in the past I've been led to believe that Jim Beam White, Cougar and a few other 'lesser mixer quality' bourbons do this. Jim Beam Black is a different beast. We get a 6yo version that I've been told is also exported to other international markets.

3. Regular brands like Jim Beam Black, Makers Mark, Evan Williams, Buffalo Trace etc and their higher-end cousins like Bookers, Eagle Rare etc are all bottled in KY (or where ever the distilleries do their bottling) in 700ml bottles specifically for the Australian market.... and in the case of Buffalo Trace & Makers Mark are bottled at lower proof than the US versions.

Edited by camduncan

That probably raises a few points that need clarification....

1. Australian Whiskey is Whiskey that is distilled and barreled here by the many micro-distilleries that are popping up mostly in the southern states of Australia. Google Bakery Hill or Lark Distillery for two examples.

2. Some companies import bulk (Bourbon) whiskey from the US in stainless steel tanks and bottle here in Australia. I'd have to re-check that it's still the case, but in the past I've been led to believe that Jim Beam White, Cougar and a few other 'lesser mixer quality' bourbons do this. Jim Beam Black is a different beast. We get a 6yo version that I've been told is also exported to other international markets.

3. Regular brands like Jim Beam Black, Makers Mark, Evan Williams, Buffalo Trace etc and their higher-end cousins like Bookers, Eagle Rare etc are all bottled in KY (or where ever the distilleries do their bottling) in 700ml bottles specifically for the Australian market.... and in the case of Buffalo Trace & Makers Mark are bottled at lower proof than the US versions.

That helps. So, I guess my interest lies (lay, lays, whatever) with true Australian whiskey from those micros like Lark. Do you have a distinct dislike for those? If not are there any you reco as a first time out? Thx!

I do have a dislike for them Mark... The current batch of micros are mostly in the Scotch style, and unfortunately something in the smell and taste of Scotch makes me gag, so I generally stay away from them.

Having said that, I did attend a whiskey tasting last week and through peer pressure, the first whiskey I tried was Starward Whiskey. It wasn't bad for a young dram and many (more experienced Scotch drinkers) who tried it on the night said the same ... http://starward.com.au/home/

I do have a dislike for them Mark... The current batch of micros are mostly in the Scotch style, and unfortunately something in the smell and taste of Scotch makes me gag, so I generally stay away from them.

Having said that, I did attend a whiskey tasting last week and through peer pressure, the first whiskey I tried was Starward Whiskey. It wasn't bad for a young dram and many (more experienced Scotch drinkers) who tried it on the night said the same ... http://starward.com.au/home/

Only one I have had is Hellyer's Road (a 3 bottle gift pack that included peated, slightly peated and unpeated whisky) but did not find it to be all that notable. The bourbon prices in Australian are really quite amazing. I know it is a long way to ship stuff but the taxes seem to be the real killer!

From what I understand, the same bottle of 750ml Jim Beam White that you pay about $12 retail for in the US can be landed here for $15 - $16 dollars. The rest of the $33 Aussie price tag is taxes and (I assume) middle-men.

Edited by camduncan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.