What bourbon are you drinking now? Part deux

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Right now I'm enjoying a bottle of Bakers. It's a 107 proof and first tried a few cubes and a splash of H2O but I think I'm prefering it NEAT.

They had Hirsch 16yo, (what am I supposed to look for?)

My suggestion is to look for either version that has a wax-sealed top. I have a bottle of the gold-wax sealed botting; it is superb.

I also have more bottles that I really want of the bottling with the gold foil sealed top. I bought several at the seeming bargain price of $39.99, only to find that it is not the same quality as the earlier bottling. At that price, you may want to buy one bottle, just out of curiousity. Much higher than that, and I'd suggest you pass.

At about the same price Rock Hill Farms is one of my favorites.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Just opened the "new" Wathen's. Anybody else tried this one. As much as I like the old Wathens's , this bottle tastes like it was aged in a 55 gal. steel drum. frown.gif

A raw night here, dropping temps, and rain, so I went with OGD 114. I really like this stuff. Had a bit of Sazerac, too, and am enjoying the differences and similarities. But this is a better night for the OGD, in my opinion.

Bob

I enjoyed a high-dollar night a week or so ago, and tonight -- while fixing a friend's computer -- I'm low-balling it, and still enjoying it.

I started after supper with a Manhattan-like concoction of some Evan Williams 1783 over a couple of cherries from a jar with a vermouth/bitters/cherry juice mixture in it. Right now, I'm sipping some Old Fitzgerald 1849, and think I'll have a nightcap nip of Heaven Hill 10yo BIB to finish.

FYI, I now live in Washington, NJ (NW part of the state, ~70 miles west of NYC, less than 1 hour from the Poconos). I was previously living on Staten Island, and right over the Goethals Bridge is Bayway liquors - huge selection, great sale prices, always a couple of local cops around (security?). Before that I was in Wilkes-Barre, PA - state-run stores but there are premium? stores that carry a bigger selection, and they have good sales that change monthly.

Anyway, I checked back and the Hirsch is only foil here & $91 shocked.gif !!! This time I saw WT Rye for $22.58 plus 2 oddities: Classic Cask Straight Rye (90 proof), a 21yo for $57, and a 22yo for $68. Any info on these?

The Weller Centennial is from Frankfurt, not Louisville and is $46. I decided to buy a 375ml of Evan Williams (regular 7yo) for only $5.99, since I've enjoyed other HH product like EWSB 1994 and the EC (12 & 18). They don't have many bourbons in smaller sizes. Nearly everything is 750ml, liter, or 1.75 liter.

Just to say one thing on topic, I'm really enjoying this bottle of Buffalo Trace. The more I drink, the more I want another. drink.gif

-Matt

The last time I bought a bottle of Weller Centennial was a few months ago at Liquor Barn in Louisville, $22.99 everyday price.

Tonight I'm enjoying a glass of Old Fitzgerald BIB. I'm getting wonderful scents of fresh-baked bread on the nose and a minty/anise flavor on the palate. The finish is warm and long. Great QPR bourbon toast.gif

Last night was Blanton's, which is still a bit new to me. I was picking up some great char and orange notes in my glass. Good stuff.

Not bourbon, but I cracked open a bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel last night. It was a xmas present, and since I'm planning to bring it to a tasting night next month, I thought I should familiarize myself with it. In all honestly, I liked it far better than I expected to.

I've never liked the original JD bottlings, but this is a jump in quality comparable to that from Jim Beam White to Jim Beam Black, if not more so.

My notes say, "Lemon candy, very sweet on the nose. Salt-water taffy. Licorice and char on the palate. Finish is surprisingly short, but sweet, with some minty rye left behind."

All in all, the only Tennessee that I've actually enjoyed.

Inspired by the latest issue of Chuck Cowdery's "Bourbon Country Reader", which features an article on wheaters, I started tonight with Maker's Mark. Every time I drink Maker's I am struck by how undistinguished it seems to me. When I finish a glass, I am not only hard pressed to describe the flavor(s), I feel as though I have no memory of it and might not recognize it the next time I drink it.

I moved on to ORVW 10/107, and I'm now nearing the end of my second pour. Even the revelation that I'm drinking Bernheim product, not Stitzel-Weller, does not diminish my enjoyment of this bottling. I'm not clear as to when that transistion occurred. I wonder whether my first bottle, which I reviewed here was S-W. (Scroll to the top of that thread -- I just couldn't resist drawing attention to my Hemingway impression. grin.gif)

If I can stay awake long enough, I plan to finish the evening with just a taste of the ORVW 15/107.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Tonight it's Evan Williams 7yo

Quite a nice bourbon for the price.

I definately prefer the Single Barrel, but it costs nearly double here, so this is doing nicely. yum.gif

Oh, Isn't bourbon good?

I am drinking Elmer T. Lee just now. It makes me happy. laugh.gif What else can I say?

Ed

Well, I did it. In my glass right now is the last of my '02 Stagg, which was mocking me from the bottom of its lovely glass cathedral, which is now empty as a tomb.

No bourbon takes you inside the barrel like Stagg. It smells more like wood than wood itself, wood transformed, transubstantiated. Sacremental whiskey for the bourbonic faithful.

I hope you waved goodbye to it on the way out, too (or at least what was left of it)! lol.gif

Last night I opened a bottle of Old Charter 12 YO. I hope it improves after the bottle has a chance to breathe.

toast.gif

I've been sipping on some '98 Wathens lately which I thoroughly enjoy. I went to the bunker to see what other Wathens bottles I had in reserve. WHAT!!!! Where are they? The maid or a happy rat must be getting in there. I couldn't find any in reserve. I'm hoping Val just relocated some of the growing collection somewhere a little less cluttered. Anyway.....has anyone seen Wathen's reemergence in the marketplace?

Randy

Gotta watch out for those Wathen stealing bourbon rats. I hear the best bait for a trap is a Wathens soaked Pepcycle Authentic Bardstown Brisket Plug. Just make sure it's not the maid first. It's so hard to get good help after they've sampled the plug... smilielol.gif

I think it is back in the market place, albeit on a somewhat limited basis. I think Lenell's has it in New York and Hi-Time Wine Cellars in California. You have to check your own local shipping laws, or you might be able to get your local place to order it. If you like high prices, you could try internet wines. Cheers.

toast.gif

...has anyone seen Wathen's reemergence in the marketplace?

I've seen it several places around here, Randy, earliest spotting being in Bowling Green, KY, on my return just before Christmas. Neck tag indicated a July (I think!) '04 bottling. More recently, it has popped up in a handful of other places here in Middle TN, but I'm no longer finding any of the older stuff (drat!).

BrbnBorderline,

You inspired me to pour some Old Charter 12 that I hadn't had in a couple of weeks. I do like it, which surpised me a bit when I got the bottle as I'd pretty well decided I preferred high-rye mashbills and straight rye. Until tonight, I'd sort of cycled this out waiting for warmer weather, and hit some more rye in the colder weather. I think the OC 12 has a simple smoothness that shows some great nuances when I spend some more time with it. And if I recall correctly, I wasn't impressed when I first tasted it on a fall trip (in cold weather), but gave it a go based on comments here. I do think it will be especially nice towards summer and hope that you decide it's worth having.

Bob

I'll ask my local retailer to order some. Has anyone tried it?

On a more positive note, Val allowed that she moved some of the shorter bottles that she had been tripping over in the pantry into an antique china cabinet we have. There I found a '98 and an '01 Wathens and a Spring '90 BB. The '01 bottle was a gift from Dave and Tina and I knew I hadn't opened it yet.

Randy

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!