What bourbon are you drinking now? Part deux

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Gotta say, tonight it's Cabo Wabo Anejo, refired beans, and tortilla chips!!! Had a friend pick me up a bottle of CW Anejo in Mexico ($45US). It's good, but it's not bourbon. We pay $79+ in Ohio for CW Anejo!!! Ouch...

Somehow, I feel like I'm cheating on the group tonight... icon_redface.gif

Just sitting down after a long, mediocre (rain, other discouraging stuff) day, I'm debating over a couple of liquor-store finds -- tax-stamped 375ml bottles of Stitzel-Weller Old Fitz BIB or Old Weller Antique 107. I think I'm going with the 107 since I've never had it (may be a mistake to start with a S-W version) and many of y'all say nice things about it.

We'll see.

After tasting:

Well, drat it! I love this stuff! And I found just two 375ml bottles, with scant chance of finding many other old S-W ones. The closest match that comes to mind is the ORVW 15yo, and that's pretty fair company. It's much darker than I'd expect from a 7yo -- just starting to show some red -- and the nose has that candy-apple aroma the ORVW15 has. Same proof, too, though noticeably lighter on the tongue. But the finish is very long, just touching hot.

I sure hope the current BT version stands up to this, but you can bet I'm going to try it.

After a fairly hectic Saturday, I sat back before dinner and relaxed with a pour of Pappy 15yo followed by Old Rip Van Winkle 12yo Lot B..

The 15yo was mind-blowing - it's hard to believe it is only 107 proof (it actually reminded me of a stronger, more refined Bookers.) It had a rich fruity taste and I thought could detect some of the smokiness from the oak.

The 12yo was much lighter and probably more to my liking for a regular weekend pour - the 15yo I'd probably only break out once a month or so as a special 'treat'.

In hindsight, I probably should have tried these the other way around as my tastebuds couldn't pick the lighter notes in the 12yo (after the strength of the 15yo)

After a beautiful BBQ dinner and some 'fine' Easter chocolate, I finished the night with a **gasp** Southern Comfort & Coke.

It was a very rainy night here. The wife and I stayed home in our bar. We played some pinball and Gorf...and I enjoyed some Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof drink.gif

Wasn't Gorf that game with a bunch of different little games at each level? I loved that game as a kid. I haven't heard that name in over 20 years! What a blast from the past. falling.gif

Oh, drinking the "Ridgewood" Reserve tonight. Opened the one bottle I had before the whole lawsuit thingy. Not a bad pour...

Big fat pour of Buffalo Trace, boy I like this stuff. If only it were available locally, I wouldn't feel like I needed to ration the stuff. Oh well, I'm down to one bottle, time to put in another order with Binny's.

Bulleit: light nose of soot and candy, the taste even more candy-like with the trademark wintergreen edge. The mouthfeel is soft and sweetish with afternotes of wood, light smoke and ethanol. Perhaps just a shade too bitter in the aftertaste otherwise it is perfect. One of the great American whiskies, this current incarnation (the second Bulleit) is an instant classic and yet, due to methodical development at Four Roses whose work in bourbon spans generations going back to the Seagram labs of the 1930's and beyond, offers the dignified taste of old-time sour mash. The old Yellowstone was somewhat like this, fruity and light but elegant, soft, rich. I find this taste superior to the tannic bite often held up as the acme of modern bourbon taste.

Gary

Tonight, for the second night in a row,2005 Stagg. And it was well worth the wait yum.gif

Tonight...one nice glass of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof...love that stuff. drink.gif

Tonight at a local on the inner north side of town it was 2 choices - Jim Beam White or Cougar. I went with the Beam, but couldn't get the taste for it neat. After a couple on the rocks, I went back to the 'ol' faithful' - Jim Beam & coke. Had about a dozen of those and a real nice steak yum.gif

Last night it was a couple of pours of Jim Beam BIB

The first neat, the 2nd over ice.

Definate caramel and honey notes coming through.

Tonight it was some Woodford Reserve batch #003, a lot nicer than I remembered. I hadn't had any for a few months.

Yesterday I finished off my EWSB94, to celebrate the purchase of the EWSB95. Quick swig of the 95 shows a lot hotter, bolder and less dry whisky than the 94. I'm liking the newer bottling a lot.

Cam, how does the JB BIB compare to the JB Black of Knob Creek? Seems like an expensive drop.

Spring Stagg!!! Thanks to Dawn, luv2hunt. She selflessly got a bottle for me after reading a post I made several weeks ago about not being able to get any in my state. She stepped up to the plate after no other member replied to my posting. It is this kind of thoughtfullness that renews my faith in our fellow man (and woman, Dawn!) Everyone should tip their hats to her for being a great person. I know I'm tipping my hat as I'm tipping my glass of Stagg! Thanks Dawn!

Now, this is a great whiskey! Bravo Buffalo Trace! Outstanding! Wonderful mouth feel for a 130.9 proof whiskey. Great nose, spice and citrus palate, nice oak finish. Icredible!!!

Had some Evan Williams single barrel 1993 at the bar. Three nice big pours. Lovely bourbon. At first sip I thought it good, really good, but not outstanding. But everytime I when to get another glass I found I didn't want to switch to one of the other wonderful bourbons they stock.

Ed

Poured one of the old standbys, WT Russell's Reserve, last night. That is some thick, delicious bourbon. To me, it has one of the heaviest mouthfeels of all the bottles on my shelf. Rich and full flavored.

Agreed, it is a very rich-flavoured drink and given a very high rating by the way by Jim Murray in his Whisky Bible (he also is a strong supporter of Geo. T. Stagg). I think I prefer it to Tribute, or the ones I have had. These whiskies have a very obvious charred barrel influence. Since they are entered at relatively low proofs they come out with a big barrel taste, sometimes it seems more woody than charred or vanillin-like, but each bottle seems different, too. In Samuel M'Harry's 1809 distilling manual which I highly recommend (see www.raudins.com to obtain the reprint) there is a reference to the desirability of "branding" casks. This is in the context of a discussion about adding "Bohea tea" (green tea leaves I believe) to whiskey barrels to darken the colour after subjecting the whiskey to a filtering in maple charcoal. It is unclear if M'Harry means the casks should be fired on the inside or that the maker's name should be branded on the cask head. I think he means the latter although initially I thought it was the former. The focus is so much on quick aging that I think M'Harry is saying if anyone sells whiskey made in this way and identifies the casks as his he will get repeat business. Earlier in the book, there is a specific reference to burning the inside of casks to "sweeten" (clean and deodorize) them but there is no mention of any benefit on the whiskey from aging in such barrels and in fact he seems to be talking about mash tuns and that type of equipment because he advises to keep burning the casks over (in particular) the summer, so clearly he is talking about barrels that are used and emptied fairly quickly. At the same time, M'Harry mentions a few times in the book the advantages of drinking "aged" whiskey but he never links it specifically to storage in new charred wood. He refers to the benefits on the product of sending whiskey by boat far away but again never in terms of what kind of barrel to use. So this book does not really resolve anything in terms of the historical question of when whiskey started to be aged methodically in new charred wood. I believe Wild Turkey's products are pretty close to what some bourbon in 1809 was like, possibly Rare Breed for example (being a combination of different-aged Wild Turkey bourbon, and grocers, dealers and other intermediaries might have combined whiskeys of different ages to consolidate and possibly balance the taste of their stock).

Gary

Tonight, as my first drink of the night, I am having some Rock Hill Farms to celebrate the addition of our newest family member, Norman. Norman was an abused /neglected puppy that we adopted this morning from our city's Animal Control officer. He's fitting right in with our other dog, and everything checked out ok at the vet.

Cheers, everyone!

Norman was an abused /neglected puppy that we adopted this morning

There's a fair number of dog lovers here, congratulations on finding and saving this little guy!

Cheers toast.gif

I'll toast Norman with a bit of 4 Roses yellow label toast.gif

Recently this expression has started appealing to me more and more. True it's a light-bodied, low-proof bourbon, but it's full of flavor and character. I just polished off the last of an open bottle. I have 4 more bottles, all signed by Jim Rutledge from various events. I hate to open one of those, but I hate the thought of spending more money when there are 4 at home. Hmm?

I couldn't post this yesterday - was a bit to crook frown.gif

The night before last we had my folks up for the night. They'd been helping me put the shelves in behind our bar.

My Mum & Jen were off discussing the wedding plans (secret womens business - Dad & I weren't invited crazy.gif)

So, as blokes do, we decided to head downstairs to the bar and try some of the bourbon that we'd just put up on the shelves smile.gif

To put it in perspective, I'd had 4 solid bourbon and cokes before and with dinner and Dad had consumed 3 or 4 full strength beers and a couple of glasses of wine.

We grabbed some whiskey glasses and some distilled water to rinse our mouths with and proceeded to taste.

We worked our way through tasting the following bottles neat - Pappy 15yo, ORVW 12yo, Wild Turkey Rye, ORVW 13yo Rye, EC12yo, some Bookers to finish on a blast and then sipped some Wild Turkey Liquor for the nightcap...

It was a fun night, and the first real session at the new bar grin.gif

Needless to say, yesterday my head felt like a frozen pineapple frown.gifcrazy.giffalling.gif

Sounds like you and your Dad should encourage the gals to have more "girls nights out". Wish I could get my Dad to party with me again. Alas, he has found religion and religion has found him. We had a blast when we both went back to college together and went to the bars in Columbia. He always had all the good looking business school gals hanging around him. Guess they figured at his age he was harmless.... smilielol.gif

On an opposite sad note. I am drinking my VW Rye 13yr tonight being sad about having to put my Cocker Spaniel, Tia, down on Monday. She has to many medical problems and she'll be much better off a sleep forever. frown.gif

She is a beautiful girl and going to be missed. Raise your glass for her...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!