Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

On 4/17/2021 at 2:59 PM, Marekv8 said:

Yeah, I sorta have a thing for 70s era Bally machines from my cavity-prone years…

IMG_5755.thumb.jpg.cf95a9942a9899d246ea217507224145.jpg

That KISS Machine...I'd almost trade you every bottle I had and stop drinking for that thing. Well, except for the stop drinking part.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didnt read all of the pages so i dont know if this was mentioned or not,  but 2-3 years ago at the end of an NCIS Los Angeles episode, Hetty, Sam and Callen shared a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.  Dont know if it was  15-20 or 23.  Kind of neat though.  Also on Deadwood they show a  bottle of Henry McKenna sitting on a table in the bordello.  Very plain view.  

9 hours ago, wildcatdon said:

Didnt read all of the pages so i dont know if this was mentioned or not,  but 2-3 years ago at the end of an NCIS Los Angeles episode, Hetty, Sam and Callen shared a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.  Dont know if it was  15-20 or 23.  Kind of neat though.  Also on Deadwood they show a  bottle of Henry McKenna sitting on a table in the bordello.  Very plain view.  

It has been mentioned but it's worth remembering! That was a good one.

This week’s episode of NCIS New Orleans, Pride pulls out Blantons (Original I think) for a pour for him and his brother. 

• 4 weeks later...

Was watching the first Back To The Future.  Marty’s mom pulls out a pint that definitely looks OGD Bonded thst she stole from her moms cabinet.  Can you imagine how good 1955 OGD must of been.

0E233C6A-1BCB-4823-8370-CC8D0590C0CB.jpeg

I was watching the original Dirty Harry, think the original, 1971.  At some point he’s in the office at the station and asks for some liquor. His boss pulls out a bottle that at least looks a lot like some Very Old Fitzgerald.  Probably not but same bottle shape, gold foil and maroon and tan labels.  

F22A3BC7-B101-4F7A-B2DF-699130A6583D.png

Edited by HoustonNit

15 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I was watching the original Dirty Harry, think the original, 1971.  At some point he’s in the office at the station and asks for some liquor. His boss pulls out a bottle that at least looks a lot like some Very Old Fitzgerald.  Probably not but same bottle shape, gold foil and maroon and tan labels.  

F22A3BC7-B101-4F7A-B2DF-699130A6583D.png

Been awhile since I watched "DH".  And, it was 1971.  Andrew Robinson played the psycho, and I have NEVERNEVERNEVER been able to watch him in anything else without thinking of his role in this movie.  BTW, DH never said, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"  Rather, he said, "(Y)ou've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"  He asked it twice - once of a wounded bank robber at the beginning when DH's breakfast is interrupted and again at the end.

This post rates a rewatch of DH by me - I don't remember the bourbon scene.  AND, while I'm thinking about it after a three hour drive and two+ ounces of OGD BIB, it is time to rewatch "Bullet".  I love Robert Vaughn as the heavy.  Kind of like David "Hutch" Soul who played a bad motorcycle cop in "Magnum Force" (1973) - cannot see him as a good guy in ANYTHING else.

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Been awhile since I watched "DH".  And, it was 1971.  Andrew Robinson played the psycho, and I have NEVERNEVERNEVER been able to watch him in anything else without thinking of his role in this movie.  BTW, DH never said, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"  Rather, he said, "(Y)ou've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"  He asked it twice - once of a wounded bank robber at the beginning when DH's breakfast is interrupted and again at the end.

This post rates a rewatch of DH by me - I don't remember the bourbon scene.  AND, while I'm thinking about it after a three hour drive and two+ ounces of OGD BIB, it is time to rewatch "Bullet".  I love Robert Vaughn as the heavy.  Kind of like David "Hutch" Soul who played a bad motorcycle cop in "Magnum Force" (1973) - cannot see him as a good guy in ANYTHING else.

Yeah crazy I’ve gone my whole life without seeing these films.  In the past few weeks I’ve done all them but The Dead Pool.

• I like it 1

The Dead Pool has a crazy scene where Jim Carey is doing a lip synch of Guns and Roses before either he or they were famous.  Liam Niesson is the manager (with English accent).

When we got cable out in the county, it was a big deal.  I watched all those damn movies on HBO. 🤪 

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

The Dead Pool has a crazy scene where Jim Carey is doing a lip synch of Guns and Roses before either he or they were famous.  Liam Niesson is the manager (with English accent).

When we got cable out in the county, it was a big deal.  I watched all those damn movies on HBO. 🤪 

Watched The Dead Pool last night and only thing I remembered was that Jim Carey played a drugged out rocker before he was famous.  I thing I saw an interview where Carey discussed work with Clint.  

After watching all 5 I would say skip the 80s ones.

• 1 month later...

My family is watching Forest Gump today. I hadn’t seen it in a long time and noticed lieutenant Dan was drinking the old brown label Heaven Hill BIB. Man did I used to drink a lot of that 

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Mrs and I watched “The White Lotus” on HBO Max this last week. Terrific limited series. Maybe the best thing I’ve watched all year. Highly, highly recommended. 

In I believe episode three, the hotel manager and a guest crush shot after shot of Blanton’s. I mean they must have polished off a bottle by the end of the scene. 

I guess we now know where all of the Blanton’s is going. Five-star Hawaiian resorts, lol. 

• I like it 1

Ha! Agreed on White Lotus!!  my wife thought i was nuts for rewinding that scene to confirm it was a blanton's! 

• I like it 3

Don't know if it is in these 50 pages.

Bluebloods, I never saw a brand, but they always say scotch. 

They hit it a lot too. 

I have been binging "Justified", and the liberal use of bourbon in the series has greatly added to its entertainment quality for me. 

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, Mano said:

I have been binging "Justified", and the liberal use of bourbon in the series has greatly added to its entertainment quality for me. 

It greatly added to my mid week consumption back when I was watching the show.  Richard Monkey see bourbon, Richard Monkey drink bourbon. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Dodgers at Giants tonight (8 OCT 2021) shortly after Buster Posey hit a two-run homer.  Advert showed Evan Wms 1783 SmB.  Dodgers @ Giants in the Playoffs?  We've seen this movie before.:o

Anyone ever hear of Butchers whiskey?  Anyone ever take two bottles from a liquor store at a discount in Nemohis?

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the reboot of “The 4400” on CW channel - is told from a “nonwhite” perspective according to reviews by “professionals”.  I got no difference, but then I live in “Chocolate City” hahahaha.

Anyway, toward the end of the first episode, there’s a bar shot, and I SWEAR the back bar was Can Can bistro in Carytown, Richmond, VA.  Been there enough that I’ve memorized their back bar layout.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching "The Morning Show", and they have had a couple of scenes featuring Van Winkle bourbons, this one with the 12yr, another with Steve Carrell drinking the 15.

MartinShort.thumb.png.68777165e904fe3d14930211e7ece537.png

Hitch-Hike is a 1977 Italian film with Franco Nero (Django) which is set in Northern California.  Unfortunately, the Italian filmmakers did not have the funding to shoot in the US so they shot it in Italy in an area that resembled the NorCal setting.  They changed road signs to English, etc. and we're mostly convincing except for the anachronism in the screen shot.  Can you guess what's wrong in this scene?

1104211515.jpg

• I like it 1

Is that bottle an export size 50cl, should be 4/5 Quart to be American in 1977.

Or, are you going to say Four Roses was only selling blended whiskey in the U.S. at that time.

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

Is that bottle an export size 50cl, should be 4/5 Quart to be American in 1977.

Or, are you going to say Four Roses was only selling blended whiskey in the U.S. at that time.

Based on my understanding of 4R history, that bottle wasn't available in the US but was sold in Europe and Japan at the time.

• I like it 1