What bourbon did you purchase today?

NorCalBoozer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While I've bought many bottles of Wild Turkey 101 I've never bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 80. This occured to me as I was driving to the liquor store to grab some JD and when I got there, noting the price difference, I grabbed the WT80 instead.

Gosh...I hope OC 12 isn't going away...tell me that is not true. I did do some shopping today and picked up a couple of Louisville label Old Weller Antique 107 L bottles (Bourbon Heritage Collection bags on them). Isn't that supposed to be SW bourbon inside?

I had that worry about OC 12 a while ago, and remember coming to the conclusion that there was simply a label change in the works (but can't point to exactly why). Although with so many other more upmarket bourbons coming from that mashbill, I wouldn't be surprised if there is not some divergence.

Bob

Isn't that supposed to be SW bourbon inside?

I was always led to believe that Weller Louisville was S-W whiskey.

Joe :usflag:

When Weller was in Louisville-even after S-W had closed down-they were still owned by UDV and any aged spirit would have been produced at S-W. Production then moved to Bernheim, where the current younger bottlings of VW were distilled (and I'm guessing possibly the 10yo Weller). I think the Weller 12yo is a mix(or last I heard it was) of either Bernhiem or S-W and BT wheat.

I might be a little off on the latter but the first part shoud be correct.

Not Bourbon, but I did pick up a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Any Scotch fans out there, this is a good one. A peat monster, but a gentle, complex giant.

I picked up a lone bottle of Evan Williams SB '95 I spotted today. But what really impressed me is what I DIDN'T BUY! The new WT Russel's Reserve 90 proof for $34.00! Just seems kind of wierd that WT lowered the proof and raised the price, or maybe the liquor stores are just charging more because they have this "new and improved" item to sell? Either way, it doesn't seem to work out too well for the consumer. Tom V

I picked up two bottles of Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo today for the bunker. :grin: I thought they were long gone by now. I have a PVW 15yo open so won't open one of these until that is gone.

bj

A strange find, a bottle (the only one I've seen locally) Hancock's reserve SB and a bottle of Henry Mckenna 10yo SB.

I did some dusty bottles shopping in Baytown, TX (near Houston) today while out seeing the Houston ship channel and San Jacinto battlefield.

Found a 1.75L bottle of Ancient Age Bottled in Bond (never seen this before, didn't know it existed). Interestingly, the labels on the bottle do NOT disclose the DSP where it was distilled and bottled (obviously Buffalo Trace), which I had thought was required of BIB bourbons?

Also found a 375ml bottle of Rebel Yell with an old label that has a confederate cavalryman with a sword drawn. It is 90 proof and announces that is it "Especially for THE DEEP SOUTH." Says it was distilled, aged and bottled at the "Rebel Yell Distillery" in Louisville, KY. The copyright date on the label is 1974, but the tax strip doesn't seem very official looking. One of the numbers on the bottom of the bottle is 87, so perhaps this was bottled in 1987? Also, it does have a UPC code on the back of it, so that helps with dating it too, I think.

Got a 200ml bottle of Old Charter Bottled in Bond that has a faux tax stamp with the dates Fall 1975 and Spring 1984 on it. The back of the bottle states it is 7 years old, distilled at DSP-KY-2, bottled at DSP-IND-2.

Also got a bottle of Old Forester 100 proof with the old square label.

Picked up two mini bottles of EWSB 1995 - haven't ever seen EWSB minis before, so picked them up for the novelty.

Also found a large cache of ER101 at two different liquor stores on Garth Rd in Baytown, TX. Only picked up one 750ml bottle, but there were also liter bottles and 1.75L bottles. Plenty of this stuff is still out there if you're looking for it.

I saw, but did not pick up, an Eagle Rare decanter that was a ceramic eagle at one of the two liquor stores. They were trying to sell it for $200. Don't know much more about it as it was high up on a shelf behind the counter and the lady was not interested in getting it down for me to look at.

I picked up a lone bottle of Evan Williams SB '95 I spotted today. But what really impressed me is what I DIDN'T BUY! The new WT Russel's Reserve 90 proof for $34.00! Just seems kind of wierd that WT lowered the proof and raised the price, or maybe the liquor stores are just charging more because they have this "new and improved" item to sell? Either way, it doesn't seem to work out too well for the consumer. Tom V

While I agree in principle, I've tried the new RR and it's very good. If you'd never known RR101 you'd probably like it AND probably not even care about the price but having had slightly better for slightly less.... Well, you get my point. It's a shame this very good Bourbon often gets overlooked (even by me) because of it's predecessor....

Ken

While I agree in principle, I've tried the new RR and it's very good. If you'd never known RR101 you'd probably like it AND probably not even care about the price but having had slightly better for slightly less.... Well, you get my point. It's a shame this very good Bourbon often gets overlooked (even by me) because of it's predecessor....

Ken

Agreed. I revisited the 90 proof RR yesterday and really thought it a nice pour.

As to what I bought today....I put aside a set of the BT Experimental Collection. 3 of us at work will be buying each a one, and we'll compare and contrast together. Should be fun.

As irrational as it may be, I've resisted getting RR 90 so far. The main issue for me is that it is the same price as RR 101, and, frankly, I feel the paying the same price for a lower-proof bottling is a ripoff. Even if it is a good pour, IMO it shouldn't cost as much if it's at a lower proof (especially since both versions are NAS).

Yesterday I picked up a couple of bottes of Old Grand Dad BIB. I have never had this before and really liked it. I liked the price, too. 1850 yen, just 100 yen more than the OGD 86 (tall bottle-orange label) sitting right next to it. I also got a bottle of Old Rip Van Winckle 10 yo 90 proof. That is a back up to an open bottle that I rarely visit since it is all I have and difficult to replace around here.

Not bourbon, but I got a bottle of Noilly Pratt french dry vermoth. Made a martini with it and liked it a lot. MUCH better than the stuff I had tried before, which I now think wasn't a vermoth.

Ed

As irrational as it may be, I've resisted getting RR 90 so far. The main issue for me is that it is the same price as RR 101, and, frankly, I feel the paying the same price for a lower-proof bottling is a ripoff. Even if it is a good pour, IMO it shouldn't cost as much if it's at a lower proof (especially since both versions are NAS).

It's not on my shelf now, but after trying it at work, I won't hesitate to replace my 101 with the 90 proof version. At first I thought the finish was a little weak, but all in all it's still a good pour for the price.

Today I bought a bottle of Ancient Age 107.

Ancient Age 107 or Weller "Antique" 107? I never heard of AA 107.

Thats the one. I cracked it. It tastes like a hotter version of aaa. I wish I had a better tasting vocabulary.

I stand corrected. Is this stuff old or new product? I've never seen it.

its an older bottle. It was the first time I had ever seen it. Its funny when you start paying attention to stuff on the shelves how many different labels there are.

I wish I could find that stuff - it's been out of production for awhile now, I think. Puts my AA BIB to shame.

Made my first bourbon purchase here in Longmont, CO while I'm on IBM's dime at the Residence Inn. The closest liquor store had a decent but rather normal selection. My travelling partner selected EC 12 and OGD 114 for his kitchenette and I opted for ER SB and ETL. We figure to have these bottles empty before we take off for home on the 26th.....

Old Weller 107 Antique (2)

Old Grand Dad 114 (1)

Next week:

Old Weller 107 Antique (ok, its my regular pour.... :))

Pappy 15 yr

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!