What bourbon did you purchase today?

NorCalBoozer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Geo, What size glass are we talking about? Make mine biggie sized!

I have a Bourbon Tasting Glass similar to the Riedel. I usually pour 2-3 ounces a time.

After visiting the Iowa State Fair today (go butter cow), I picked up a bottle of Old Fitz 12yo, George Dickel 10yo SR, and AAA (unfortunately 10 star). Tasted the 10 star, I thought it was alright, although I've never had the 10yo to compare it to.

All in all a great day. My 4 yo professed her undying love for me after consuming 2 corn dogs, 1 cup of Iowa Dairy Barn ice cream, 4 pieces of fresh pulled taffy, half a pork chop on a stick, riding the spinning dragon (and not throwing up) and seeing Clifford the Big Red Dog and a dancing jelly bean singing "Summer nights" (from Grease). It doesn't get any better than that.

I took alot of pictures so someday when she's a teenager I can remind her we really had a blast together.

Made my first bourbon purchase here in Longmont, CO while I'm on IBM's dime at the Residence Inn. The closest liquor store had a decent but rather normal selection. My travelling partner selected EC 12 and OGD 114 for his kitchenette and I opted for ER SB and ETL. We figure to have these bottles empty before we take off for home on the 26th.....

10 Days, 4 Bottles.

Need any help?

I was going to pick one of those up a Lenells but I went for the ceramic jug instead. Any opinions on the differences between the two expressions? I've yet to open my jug.

Found 1 bottle of ORVW 10YO 107 proof and a few bottles of Dickel Barrel Select. Store now has no ORVW and 1 less bottle of Barrel Select.

The Dickel is right tasty.

I was going to pick one of those up a Lenells but I went for the ceramic jug instead. Any opinions on the differences between the two expressions? I've yet to open my jug.

I havent opened it yet and I havent seen any jugs so I dont know if there is a difference. Im opening the bottle tonite.

I wish I could find that stuff - it's been out of production for awhile now, I think. Puts my AA BIB to shame.

Dan, I havent tried AA BIB so I dont know what its like. As a matter of fact, I dont know that I have ever seen it. Are you planning on coming to the fest?

Dan, I havent tried AA BIB so I dont know what its like. As a matter of fact, I dont know that I have ever seen it. Are you planning on coming to the fest?

I would like to, but I'm probably not going to be able to make it, as I'll just be starting work on Sept. 5. It's possible, but pretty unlikely, that I'll be able to put something together last-minute to come down for just the weekend, but more likely I'll be down for the sampler in the spring.

Of course, getting the AA BIB to KY is another matter altogether. Due to the recent carry-on restrictions, I am leaving it at my girlfriends apartment in Austin, TX for the time being, along with some wine and other bourbon.

Today started off really sucky. Printer/fax not working. Cell phone not working. Trip to dentist to replace old filling. But, things turned around when I stopped into a store close to the dentist and picked up 1 WT12 y/o Gold Foil and 1 WT12 Split Label. Things are turning around!!

JOE

Just got another bottle of 1969 Old Cabin Still 6-yr old Stitzel Weller off eBay. I hope it's as good as the last one.

Now Joe.....don't you be bringing that to the Gazebo to trade! Like I told you before.......DRINK IT!

Dawn

Now Joe.....don't you be bringing that to the Gazebo to trade! Like I told you before.......DRINK IT!

Dawn

Dawn, you know me, if you wait long enough I'll probably start giving them away!:D:D See you there!

JOE

I need to go to Vegas. My luck's running good. Had an appointment with a customer yesterday on the East side of Atlanta, and needed to get off the Perimeter and get gas. I spot a liquor store that I've never been in, about a block away. After filling up, went to it, and much to my delight, was able to grab 2 bottles of WT12 and an EWSB 94 (one of my personal favorites). This week I've nabbed 4 WT12's, just by dumb luck. I see Delta can get me there for $378. :D

JOE

They should be quite different. At that time, the jugs were for export and were Four Roses whiskey, while the bottles would be Heaven Hill whiskey.

Today I bought a EW 1783, an Old Charter BIB and an Old Forrester BIB.

I had been under the impression that the 100 proof Old Forester was in fact BIB even though it isn't labeled that way, but I just learned that it is not. They use whiskey from different seasons to make the profile, so it's not legally a bond.

I also learned that Old Forester, unlike some other brands that offer different proofs, has a different profile for the 100 proof (now re-branded as Old Forester Signature). In other words, while most brands just dilute the same whiskey to different levels to get the different proofs, Old Forester 86 proof and Old Forester Signature (100 proof) are different whiskeys in terms of barrel selection and profile.

I just returned from a quick trip to Louisville where I bought the following at Liquor Barn (Fern Valley).

Mellow Corn (Corn Whiskey)

Very Old Barton BIB

Old Grand-Dad BIB

Old Charter 12-yr.

Four Roses Single Barrel

I also picked up a six-pack of Ale-8-One, a local Kentucky brand of ginger ale.

The Liquor Barn stores usually have the best prices and best selection in town, so I was surprised that they do not have any of the Rittenhouse ryes, which are easy to find here in Chicago. Is is possible they aren't being distributed in Kentucky?

They do have the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, at $50 a bottle.

My boss wanted me to pick up a bottle of Stagg, which around here is only available on the north side of town, so I had an excuse to be shopping! I grabbed his Stagg, but also grabbed 4 Old Fitz BIB - DSP KY 16 :)

Dawn

I can tell you what I didn't purcahse because it seems to have completely disappeared around here and that is Sazerac Jr. I have been wanting to drink some and not wanting to open the only 1 I have; I searched HiTime and Bevmo who both not too long ago had an abundance of it, now, none. Also the Antique Collection seems long gone also now, this seems to have happened all in the stretch of the last 6 - 8 weeks, I must wonder did someone around here just stock pile a bunker? Because I recall not two months ago seeing GTS, ER17 and even Saz18 in every Bevmo I went into!

Anyway, so I did buy another of those old IW Harpers the 86 proofer, to take to my buddy in Oregon next week for his Birthday. I think he's going to like it and want me to buy the rest of them...

Oh yeah and a bottle of Herradura Blanco Tequila :yum: crap is that good stuff! About a teaspoon of freshed squeezed lime and ~2oz. of that in my Reidel bourbon glass and yummo! (as Rachael Ray would say). I think I have not been wanting bourbon as much maybe due to the fact that I am so bummed about missing the festival... Next year I guess...

Wnet Turkey hunting yesterday. Got two bottles of 101, a new KS, three rare breeds and two WTRR 101. Got a nice discount because of the volume purchase. Hey, any exscuse, right?

My bourbon slush fund received a deposit so I had to buy a Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B. Looking forward to opening it next Saturday evening following a football victory.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!