What Beers Are You Drinking These Days?

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today, I went to the liquor store and come home with a few microbrews. I bought an Anchor Porter, Dogfish Head Brewery 60-minute IPA, Dogfish 120-minute IPA, and a Stone Ruination IPA. As you can probably tell I am a huge fan of IPA's. What beers are you all drinking, out there these days? I love beer and I love whiskey, but I'm curous about the beers you are enjoying. Maybe I can get some good tips.

Well after coming back from Europe and spending time in both the Nethrlands and Belgium, I've been a bit spoiled and unwilling to drink anything not made in Belgium, however this evening, after visitng a local bourbon bar, I hopped on down to Bluegrass Brewing Co. and had a cask APA, when my two lady friends arived they got the same and then we all split a flight. We got the flight to decide what we were going to take to NC with us while we go visit some friends(and see their first-born for the first time) who are originally from the area. We decided on Dark Star Porter and their Nut Brown Ale. They just wouldn't give us any of the cask in a growler to take with us:smiley_acbt:

You have some of my favorites, Tim. I tend to drink more IPA's and Hefeweisen in summer.

IPA:

Stone IPA

Deschutes Inversion IPA (a huge improvement IMO over their previous IPA, Quail Springs)

Rogue Brutal Bitter

Hefe:

Franziskaner

Schneider Weisse

Other highlights from the summer: 04 and 05 Alaskan Smoked Porter (my favorite) and Unibroue La Fin du Monde

Jeff

In the refrigerator right now I have nothing that is likely to inspire you -- Bud, Full Sail Amber Ale and Liberty Ale.

I bought the Bud to go along with the Evan Williams (non-vintage) bourbon I bought recently, all a result of pondering the idea of living down to my income in regards to alcoholic beverages. The combination was more enjoyable than I expected.

The Full Sail is a brew that I really enjoyed on tap at a place in Long Beach, CA where my blues band gigged a few times. Unfortunately, the bottled version did nothing to help me relive those fun times.

The Libery Ale used to be a favorite. Now it seems too hoppy and bitter for drinking without food. My tastes have turned toward more malty brews.

When I really want to treat myself, I go to the nearby Prescott Brewing Company. At each visit I have the Liquid Amber and one other for variety. I can't say their beers are better than those of other micros, but fresh beer always seems better, whether it is or not.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I don't buy much expensive beer, although I love it.

Right now, and for the past year or so, my refrigerator is stocked with Yuengling Traditional Lager. $16 a case at Sam's Club (the Wal-Mart warehouse store, not the Chicago wine and spirits store).

Tim

Innis & Gunn. Scottish ale aged in old whisky barrels...

Lacking this, Guinnis, or Grolsh will do fine!

Right now, and for the past year or so, my refrigerator is stocked with Yuengling Traditional Lager.

Tim

Tim,

The Yuengling brewery is 20 miles up the road from me. It is the oldest brewery in the USA and still family owned. The Yuenglings are very nice, down to earth people. Keep on drinkin that Yuengling.

Joe :usflag:

I change beer brands with the weather.

I like porters in the winter, also Grolsch, made in Holland is a very good full bodied beer.

In real hot summers, like wev'e had here lately, an ice cold Molson Golden is perfect.

But if I had to pick one for anytime, than Czechvar from the Czech Republic, does the trick.

Tim,

The Yuengling brewery is 20 miles up the road from me. It is the oldest brewery in the USA and still family owned. The Yuenglings are very nice, down to earth people. Keep on drinkin that Yuengling.

Joe :usflag:

Will do, Joe. I just had one a few minutes ago and I don't see any reason to stop. It really hits the spot. :yum:

Tim

negra modelo. I really like it.......for now. I'm nortoriuos for finding a beer I really like then after a few weeks or months I get bored of it. Don't know why that is. Only seems to happen with beer.

I will always go back to my roots though, which is Sierra Nevada Brewery.

Don't miss the Flying Dogs, from Denver. I tapped a quarter-cask of the pale ale, the brand favorite, at the Sampler, to good response. Personally, I like the amber lager, Old Scratch. Fine with food, not too bitter to drink without accompaniment.

Due credit to Cliff (Barrel_Proof), who turned me on to these brews after a lifetime of beerlessness.

I'd say my favorite beers are:

Sam Adams Summer Ale (In the Summer)

Sam Adams Light - one of my favorite lights

Amstel Light

Anchor Porter

Arrogant Bastard Ale - a great malty ale

Stone IPA

Ruination IPA - another stone product

I"m sure I'll think of a few more as time goes by or maybe try some of your recommendations and find some new ones.

Currently I'm revisiting some past favorites:

August Schell caramel bock, new ulm,MN

" " Schamalt's Alt

" " Firebrick

Bohemia (used to love this, still do)

Leinenkugel's Red

I'm not a beer officianado, so to speak, but I do drink it all year long. If you ask "What beers am I drinking these days"?" In the Summer, on a hot and muggy day, not much beats a plain old Corona. Particularly down at the beach. Many folks poo poo Corona, but for me, it sure cuts the thirst this time of year.

JOE

Samuel Adams Boston Lager and Boston Ale are my favorite brews. Once the weather cools, I will lay in the supply of Bell's Kalamazoo Stout.

Earlier this year I discovered my new favorite beer: Okocim Porter! Made in Poland. This is the best beer I've had. The only other that is in the same league is McEwan's Scotch Ale. Both huge, chewy beers. An Okocim Porter is damn near a meal.

Well, recently in California I enjoyed beer from Deschutes brewery: one of my favorites. Black Butte Porter to be exact. Unfortunately they don't distribute east of Colorado (good for you Dane!), so that's another reason for a trip again next year:lol:

Right now I'm enjoying my favorite IPA: Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Named after the Hemingway short-story, this beer pack a lot of Centennial hop flavor and aroma with just the right amount of bitterness. It's a great summer beer, but I enjoy it year-round. In fact, all of Bell's beers are very very good. Ed and I enjoyed a mini-keg of the Oberon wheat ale a few weeks ago and it was fantastic, especially with his wonderful seafood boil. :yum:

Jeff, did you sample the Black Butter on draft or in the bottle? I had some in the bottle on the recent trip and saw it on draft at a beer bar in San Francisco.

I happened also upon a cask-conditioned porter made by a company called English Ales in Marin which was particularly good. Cask porter and stout (real ale) is really quite different from filtered draft ales good as those can be.

I hope the running marathon went well for you and Leslie.

Gary

Out here in San Francisco I drink a lot of Anchor Steam. All their beers are great...Anchor Steam, Liberty Ale, Anchor Small Beer, Anchor Bock. I also drink cheap Mexican beer in cans, like Tecate or Modelo...great for a hot day.

I had a couple of Anchor Steam beers last weekend while enjoying North Beach Pizza. I kinda wanted to get to the brewery, but I never made it south of Market. I did try out the SF Brewing co. Nice Pale ale and Alt.

Gary,

I bought a six-pack of Black Butte porter while at a grocery store with Jim and Stephanie. Jim was grilling steaks for dinner and I needed a break from wine after a day of hard tasting. I had a couple at Jim's and I had the rest over the week. I really like Deschutes and I wish I could ship some in.

The race went very well. 57 degrees at start and the scenery was gorgeous. Running out-and-back over the GG Bridge was an experience I'll remember for a long time and, luckily there was no fog even at 6:30am to dampen the view. I was however underprepared for the hills. I'm glad we did it, but I don't think I'll do it again :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.