What Beers Are You Drinking These Days?

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In his biography Freddie Heineken admitting to put Heineken in green bottles for export for esthetic reasons,being different and there for more attractive to buy.In Heinekens homeland all breweries use brown bottles,it would block the sun the best.The green bottles are looked upon as a minor bottle to be drunk right away.If it is true i don`t know fact is that brown blocks sunlight better than other colours.Winebottles are green but these are being put in a dark place so sun doesn`t affect the bottles.If beer would be stored this way i expect it wouldn`t give problems too.

Eric.

Bridgeport ESB. Delicious, balanced ale with a long, complex finish.

Homebrewed saison from last winter. This is good, but its aromatics aren't as potent as when first brewed. Of course this style is meant to be aged, so it could be consumed at the end of a long storage, so perhaps this is a historically accurate flavor. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the funk of the fresh-bottled stuff.

Tomorrow I'll be opening a 2004 Anchor Old Foghorn barleywine. Very excited about it...

On tap I have a Rust Ale-was intended to be a red ale made w/ chocolate malt and a touch of roasted malt, but it came out a wee bit too dark and heavy.

Other tap is about to be carb'd up and I have my choice for a Pale Ale, a Nut Brown or a Mocha Vanilla Chocolate Porter and I've got a San Diego Pale Ale (IIPA-push to rename all Double or Imperial IPA's to San Diego Pale Ale since that style was started in So Cal) in the 2ndary. I bottled an Extra Pale ALe for the co-workers to be delievered Monday (which means they'll all be hungover Tuesday). That leaves me with 2 empty 5gal kegs, and Sept 1st I'll recieve 4 3gal kegs so I can put a 3rd tap on my kegerator. Time to start brewing!

On my docket is a cider, a spiced amber ale, and thinking ahead for winter I'll need to brew up a nice stout.

Commercial brews: None.

Favorite local brewpub is Port Brewing Company. Couldn't care less about Stone, but they have an awesome new faciilty. San Diego County has amazing breweries and I was just thinking I need to set up another brew tour.

Favorite IPA is Pliney the Younger from Russian River. If you EVER get a chance to taste, it'll blow you away. Do not confuse with Pliney the Elder, which is more easliy found.

• 2 weeks later...

From the LCBO

- Innis & Gunn beer aged in Scotch casks. I'd prefer to try beer aged in Bourbon casks, but you get what you can.

- Corona because of the weather.

From the Pub anything from the Granite Brewery (local brewpub).

Flying Dog Pale Ale, they also make a good porter.

I'm partial to Newcastle, too.

I did go to the fantastic beer bar in Söderbärke yesterday. I did drink almost exclusively American beer. Most of them very good but the 2 best came from the same brewery: Oskar Blouse Brewery. Jackmans American pale ale and the totally fantastic Gordon IPA. The later was one of the best beers I ever had in my life. The taste was still in my mouth several minutes after I did finish it.

Leif

I did visit Gothenburg’s and maybe Sweden’s best beer bar The Rover for the second time this year just before the Rolling Stones concert that was my prime goal. I do really love some of the micro beer from a very small local brewery called Dugges that they carry. They got a double IPA called bullocks with is a very god IPA for Swedish standards. I don’t understand the “double†though. Their real highlight is there porter “half idiot†though. Very very thick and individual stile with a lot of liquorice in the taste that I’m not used to find in porters. Double would have been very motivated here instead of bullocks. By the way. The owner and one man operator of the brewery also do deliver the beer by his private car to the few bars in the city that carries it.

Leif

I had a couple of Bitburger's and a veltin's while I watched the Bourne Identiy. Hoplefully tomorrow I will watch the Bourne Supermacy and crack open some Schwartz Beer and maybe some ER 10 yr.

It's Sunday afternoon. Pizza and beer.

Today, it's a bomber of Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. Never had this, as it's realtively new to our market.

Appearance: Deep red, bordering on brown but shot through with nice ruby highlights. Creamy, dense head that lasts throughout the glass.

Nose: Caramel-sweet with walnuts and spice at first. Then, orange peels and a hint of orange blossom. But the lingering impression is sweet fruitiness.

Palate: Rich, oily, and tongue-coating. Medium-level carbonation keeps the heavy mouthfeel from being cloying. Layers of bracing bitterness sandwiched between toffee-nut and pie spice. There's a definite citrus backdrop, as in the aroma, but it is not the overwhelming grapefruit of many American ales. Malt and hops play together very nicely.

Finish: Long and malty, bittersweet, with spice from the rye peppering the tongue.

This is a very nice ale that improves greatly as it warms up. I think in the future I'll try to drink this at about 55* instead of the 40ish it started at today. I also think this would pair beautifully with a good Stilton or a well-aged cheddar.

I love rye beers. The spiciness and rich mouthfeel is hard to match with other grains. In this beer, it balances what would otherwise just be another big IPA. Glad this is a permanent fixture in our market, unlike many of the pale ales I've picked up from other parts of the country on recent trips.

Today I kegged 2 beers, a Double Red Ale at 8.35% ABV and a Extra Pale Ale at 5.53% ABV. Both were very tasty, and then I blew my overhoppped pale ale so the Extra Pale ale is now carbing.

The EPA will be the quickest brew to drink at 2 weeks I've ever done, my other tap has some 2 month old mocha porter. It also has chocolate and vanilla but it's so faint...too much coffee and it's a tad overpowering. Just have to tweak it next time!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.