What Beers Are You Drinking These Days?

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like Grolsch too, probably my favorite Dutch beer

Same here, it's a little more bitter than Heineken. The wire stopper bottles are nice, I never want to throw them out after I drink them since they cost so much and look cool but I have no use for them. Although it's widely available here I never even noticed this beer until I was in Holland and didn't try it once, when I got back I ran out and bought some. I'm not sure if there are bigger ones but the ones I get are 16oz and can be bought either single or in four packs.

Anyway, I haven't drank any of them yet but I just picked up some Fantome de Noel. I love this beer, as well as all the others I've tried in the Fantome (Belgian Saison ale btw) line, and I think it's definitely in the running for not only my favorite Fantome but my favorite beer over all. I was pretty disapointed that the liquor store didn't get any in last xmas and the guy hadn't stocked the shelves yet so I just grabbed the whole case. :grin: So yeah, that's the beer I'll be drinking in days to come! :) Let's just hope it's as good as I remember, it's been a while...

• 4 months later...

I think the intensity of bourbon collecting and tasting has changed my palate so much that I can hardly swallow the ubiquitous foamy, light, piss-yellow domestic "girly" beers. I usually drink Samuel Adams Black Lager, Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Porter, Guiness Extra Stout, Negra Modelo and Flying Dog Scottish Porter. :drink:

Loaded up today for the Holidays today with: Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, JOE

We did have the 2005 version (vintage) of this here at our government store some 15-month ago and it was very good. It did come a small load of the last version as well but it was banned of some reason and the importer was not able to sell it. I am not sure but I think it was because the alcohol content wasn’t on the label.

My regular “house beer†just now is Anchor liberty ale.

Leif

Funny, I love to try all manner of bourbon, but for beer I tend to stick to the same brand - Straub's, from St Mary's, Pennsylvania. This is a historic pre-Prohibition brewery that makes the cleanest, most refreshing lager I know. Eminently drinkable, the way Rolling Rock used to be.

I also like Yuengling Premium (not the Traditional Lager, which is darker. Premium is the golden lager they've been selling in Pottsville for over a century. Trad Lager was ( and is) a successful attempt to grow the Yuengling brand outside Pennsy, and is always my go-to beer in a bar that has nothing better. But the Premium is what all the old pensioned anthracite minors have always drunk, short beers for two bits apiece. )

I picked up a case of Stoney's last week, but it's not from Smithton anymore, it's made by Iron City. Hey it's great that Iron City is still around! Zesty, I suppose, but really a very slight beer. On hot days, it'll wet my whistle.

• 5 weeks later...

Pete's Wicked Ale

Hacker Pschorr Weisse

Unibroue--a Belgian style ale from Canada.

Dos Equis Amber, Tecate and Negra Modello. Getting ready for a late June Cabo trip.

Dos Equis Amber, Tecate and Negra Modello. Getting ready for a late June Cabo trip.

Don't pass up Bohemia if it's available to you. Until very recently, when some American microbrewers began trying to resurrect the style, Bohemia was as close as you could get to a pre-Prohibition American-style lager. Well-hopped, but not aggressive, with a good bit of corn in the grain bill and a rich, malty finish that doesn't keep it from being very refreshing. Along w/PBR, this is a "swill" beer I like to keep on hand. Actually, given its import status, it costs a good bit more than even Bud. But it's worth it.

BTW, I've been drinking a good bit of homebrewed saison and Bridgeport IPA.

Tonight, while brewing my oatmeal stout, I enjoyed a Deschutes' Mirror Pond pale ale and a Black Butte porter :yum: Can't get these east of Colorado, so a friend and I have them shipped in across country on a freight truck. With shipping it becomes something like $3/beer. Outrageous, but worth every penny!

The commercials finally got me and I tried Budweiser Select a few days ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the richness of the flavor. No, it's not Arrogant Bastard Ale or Skullsplitter, but it's a bit surprising for American macro-brew. Not even as heavy as Molson Canadian, but surprisingly flavorful. I was under the impression from advertising that it was a second light beer in the Budweiser franchise. I suggest it get a fair trial from those who like American beers. I consider it very good, but it's not going to displace my PBR. I might buy it from time to time, especially if I'm going to be in the company of AB lovers.

I'm with you Kevin. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is hard to beat. I also think Warsteiner blond is a good mass produced German.

The latest versions of Brooklyn black chocolate stout and Bigfoot. They did release some small quantities of these 2 beers in our government store June 1. They didn’t get one single bottle in my small town so I had to go to the next city and be at the door when it opened10 am.

I was well worth the trouble!

Leif

Because it`s already quite warm over here i drink a lot of Lambic Gueuze as well as Kriek, fresh and crispy Belgian beer but on colder days i prefer Guinness or Hertog Jan triple.Just depends on the climate.Eric.

Warm weather = Bell's Pale Ale

Have you tried their Two-Hearted Ale? One of the best IPA's available IMHO. :yum:

Have you tried their Two-Hearted Ale? One of the best IPA's available IMHO. :yum:

Jeff hit that one right one the Head. It cost me a bit more but in NY I have to ship it in. Great Beer. Smuttynose also makes a great IPA.

I forgot to mention Bell's Hop Slam. It's an Imperial IPA and it's one of my all time favorite Beers in general. If you enjoy super-hopped beers, GO GET IT!!!!

Gee warm weather = Guinness in the can for me as opposed to the much richer bottled Extra Stout version for me. And of course hefewiezen instead of dunkel, the occasional Pilsner Urkel or Warsteiner...I guess I just turn everything down a notch.

Nope, but I will look for it on the next beer run. Bell's Kalamazoo stout is pretty good too.

I forgot to mention Bell's Hop Slam. It's an Imperial IPA and it's one of my all time favorite Beers in general. If you enjoy super-hopped beers, GO GET IT!!!!

Yep, that's a good one. But watch out, it's 10% abv and goes down easily. :drinking:

Nope, but I will look for it on the next beer run. Bell's Kalamazoo stout is pretty good too.

Look for the one with the fish on the label. :fish2:

Warm Weather = Bell's Oberon. A great summer beer. Unfortunately my wife has discovered it as well. She will always tell me how good the bourbon is that I serve her but fortunately does not pour herself a bourbon.

This is the best time of year for Oberon, they roll it out in April so it's only a couple months old.

But as with wheat beer even at that age, you can taste a differece in the beer at just a month or two, more citrus in the aroma.

I just noticed that Rodenbach has finally returned to Louisville, as well as Gouden Carolous and a couple others.

I did notice the Oberon, also available on draft in growlers, and in 5L mini-kegs...maybe next time...I had to get some Flanders Red!

I just noticed that Rodenbach has finally returned to Louisville, as well as Gouden Carolous and a couple others.

I did notice the Oberon, also available on draft in growlers, and in 5L mini-kegs...maybe next time...I had to get some Flanders Red!

Did they have the Grand Cru or Classic on tap??? I don't know what kind of imports you get in KY, but if you like the Rodenbach's I suggest Panil Barrique, Duchesse De Bourgogne, and La Folie (New Belgium). I find that I love the Flanders Oud Bruins as much as the Flanders Red ales. Go for Liefmans Goudenband and Petrus Brown. The fact that most of these are barrel aged, giving the ales an oaky wooden flavor really does it for me. I have a bunch of these cellaring right now.

I just went a took a Grand Cru and Goudenband out of the beer bunker and put it in the fridge for tonight. I've been doing vertical of Barleywines and Imperial IPA's lately and this will be well deserved change of pace. Thanks Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.