What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm having a pour of AAA 10 year now, after an earlier glass of Compass Box Spice Tree.

EDIT: one pour each of Rittenhouse BIB and OGD BIB followed. ;)

First tonite was some Handy which I am still trying to determine how much I like, some nights it is just a higher proof version of Saz Jr., other nights it is a more complex, thick rich Rye that shows a vast depth of flavor the Jr. does not show. Anyway I like it, just trying to find a common ground with it, but sometimes it leaves a scratchy soreness to my throat that I am not thrilled with.

After that was something that caught me off guard. A while back I bought a couple of Weller Centennial L'ville bottlings and opened one almost immediately which I was somewhat unthrilled with. Well I think it just needed a breath of fresh air because now it is singing massive flavor, caramel vanilla cotton candy with a cinnamony sweet red hot finish. Yeah now I am happy I bought these, similar to ORVW15, just maybe a bit more subdued.

Peter Jake's Private Keep.

I've had it for a while but just now getting to it.

The nose is kinda bland, so after that I was not expecting much. But the taste explodes after a half-second in.

Very nice suprise!

It ends dry, but worth the trip.

I just had generous double pour of JB at my little girls Nutcracker performance served in a plastic tumbler. Not having the best of luck finding glass. I've never had JB before (sorry JB virgin) but I'm not sure that 4yr 80pr is there flagship. It was very smooth and uneventful like a flat cola. The upside is it didn't react violently with the yogurt that I just ate. I'd would certainly like to climb the proof-age-selection ladder of the JB line before leaving a serious remark. I'd keep a bottle around when water just won't do.

Having a pour of some 06 WLW. At this point I have only tried 3 of the 5 BTAC bottles and I think this one is my favorite. I’m still kicking myself for not picking up any of last years when I had the chance.

Old Rip 15-Year followed by WT Rare Breed, 2003 batch. I have coveted one of these for some time now. Local store had it on sale for $28, so I went for it today. Right now, I'm on my 3d or 4th pour......starting to lose count. This RB is right up near the top for me - absolutely no doubt about it.

I'm having a double pour of OGD 114, finishing off a long-misplaced bottle just after I brought home a brand-new one.

:bowdown: I would like to thank the members of SB.com, for your dedication in finding and experiencing the finest bourbons and passing on this knowledge to us FNGs, for guiding me past hundreds of amber bottles to my bottle of AHHirsch16. I'm enjoying my first pour at this minute which I can only describe, and I hope this is acceptable, as beautiful. Thanks again Boys this will be a tough one to knock off the top.

:bowdown: I would like to thank the members of SB.com, for your dedication in finding and experiencing the finest bourbons and passing on this knowledge to us FNGs, for guiding me past hundreds of amber bottles to my bottle of AHHirsch16. I'm enjoying my first pour at this minute which I can only describe, and I hope this is acceptable, as beautiful. Thanks again Boys this will be a tough one to knock off the top.

"Beautiful" is one of the best possible descriptions!

Tim

I couldn't agree more. I FINALLY got a bottle of Hirsch16 last Saturday and it quickly became a favorite.

First, a Rittenhouse BIB-based Red Hook, then a pour of AAA 10yo, and now my last drink of the night, ORVW 10/107.

I went to a bar that serve great steaks in Brisbane, and they had a decent bourbon selection (for Australia anyways). They had Bookers, Basil Hayden, Woodford Reserve and Maker's Mark. So I decided to have a Makers. The bartender says "do you want that with Coke?" I say "no, don't ruin it mate, I'll have it neat." So he comes back with a Makers that has more ice than I knew could fit in a glass. I say nothing. I then return after my Makers...thinking about having a WR. I asked to see the bottle. As the girl behind the bar hands it to me, she says "I think it's 15 years old, if that's what you're looking for". (don't know where she came up with that!). I say "No, actually I was looking to see whos signature was on the bottle". She thinks I'm a freak, as I dont want the Chris Morris WR and I ask for a Basil Hayden NEAT. As she turns around her male counterpart already has a glass crammed with ice waiting for her. She says "he wants it neat" and he is totally puzzled and asks me if I want ice. "Mate, if I wanted ice, I probably would have asked for it on the rocks, not neat" -what's with these people??? Anyways, moral of the story is, Basil Hayden is much nicer than I remember it, and the steak was great too.:grin:

Scott

Scott,

Why didn't you want the Chris Morris WR? I just happen to have an unopened bottle in it's nice woodn' box.

Tonight I am drinking my personal favorite, Elijah Craig 18 yo, while watching Octopussy on my way through all of the Roger Moore Bond films in order (been at this for about a week now).

I love the complexity and the depth of flavors this bourbon offers.

Mmmmmmmm.

Joel

Scott,

Why didn't you want the Chris Morris WR? I just happen to have an unopened bottle in it's nice woodn' box.

I have only just seen Chris Morris bottles surface here in oz.....I have only had Lincoln Henderson bottles, which I have 3 of left. I have seen many different opinions on here of WR and it seems to have changed since the early LH bottles, so I dont want to destroy the image I have of WR if the newer stock isn't as nice....if you get what I mean.

Scott

Tonight I am drinking my personal favorite, Elijah Craig 18 yo,

I love the complexity and the depth of flavors this bourbon offers.

Mmmmmmmm.

Joel

Joel, I'm with you there. I tried for 4 years to get Elijah 18 sent to Australia. Finally found someone who would send it to me (if only I discovered this site and Binnys earlier) and I have to say it was worth the wait, all the build up, the anticipation, I was far from disappointed :grin:

For sure one of my favourites.

Scott

Last night it was a nice 8oz cup of Jeff Renner's Egg Nog made with JB Black and then a pour of Rock Hill Farms.

bj

Two pours of ORVW 10/90 really hit the spot last night while I was wrapping gifts (I'm very slow at wrapping).:rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.