What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finishing the last of EWSB 1996. Not sure that this is as good as the other years I have had. Not too good on the finish.

Enjoyed a nice pour of Eagle Rare 10 yr SB last night. Simply a delicious bourbon that has found a permanent home in my rotation.

Elmer T Lee Gold Wax,

I am a huge Blanton's fan. Love that Pour. But...

Every time I drink this I wonder why I pay the premium price.

My thoughts exactly (to the letter)!!!

Elmer T Lee Gold Wax,

I am a huge Blanton's fan. Love that Pour. But...

Every time I drink this I wonder why I pay the premium price.

My thoughts exactly (to the letter)! Can't justify the price for Blanton's when ETL is priced as it is...

Starting the weekend with some Johnny Drum 15 yo.

Interesting notes of sorghum and allspice but a tad too oaky in the finish for my tastes...

The weather is cold to start this weekend, so I'm going to raise the temp with the Willett Family Estate Rye. So far in my tastings, this one trumps the Handy IMO. Just more overall varoomph in the Willett. Bigger, bolder taste, while not being overly hot. But, both are very, very good. Can't go wrong with either one.

:toast:

JOE

Had a bit'o'samplin tonight.

OGD 114

OGD BIB

WT12

Old Fitz BIB

Old Fitz prime

and to round out the night just a dribble of EWSB '94

Edit: on second thought, I am going to have just a little of one-of-those-bottles-turned-backward-so-that-no-one-can-tell-what-it-really-is. I will tell you this about it, it's clear.

I'm finished for the night, but I began with a Rittenhouse BIB Red Hook, then a pour of Rittenhouse BIB neat, then WT Rye neat for a nightcap.

Thomas H Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey arrived today and there was no way I could go without opening one of these tonight. And I am so glad I opened it! I love this stuff!

Not much for tasting notes, but this stuff shines above and beyond the regular Saz Jr. It actually has a similar touch of sweetness and fruit up front that I find in VWFRR "F" bottling, then follows up with some peppery spice and finishes with the immature herby spice that Saz Jr has. Bottom line, this is fantastic whiskey that is without a doubt one of my favorites already...

Thank you Buffalo Trace, again.

Last night was barrel proof night. First was WLW from 05, seems the last bit left in the bottle was better than I remember the rest, strange. Next was Handy 06, loved it! I gave it to my wife to 'sniff' and instead she thought she was smart and had a sip! Reaction was great "I've never tasted worse diesel than that!" (she's Irish). Luckily I continued on and enjoyed the rest immensely!!!

Last was GTS 06. I don't know but I didn't like this as much as previous years, it doesn't seem to have the nose that the others have. I will try this again soon as my taste buds and nose could have been overwhelmed at the time from the other two.

I'm on my first pour of a flight of Staggs. I finally cleared enough bottles that I could start opening more. :woohoo:First to get opened: '06 Stagg, aka Hazmat III.

WOW!

This is just gobsmacking good. It seems gentler than my memories of the Fall '05 - but I'm about to pop the top off a Fall '05 bottle for a head-to-head comparison, once I finish this pour. A Spring '05 pour (bottle already open) will follow.

I'm catching intense vanilla and chocolate from this, and it has surprisingly little burn - it's hard to believe it's in the beyond-70%-ABV category. The finish is long and warm, cinnamon with a bit of oak, slowly fading.

Tonight, so far, it has been a couple pours of my newly aquired Old Commonwealth 107 10yo. I'll finish the evening with some Old Fitzgerald BIB...SW version.

Tried some 1783 evan williams tonight since I`m a huge fan of the regular black label kind. I didn`t like it near as much. Also drinking some makers

and knob creek.

Heading to Vegas this morning, started with some mimosas made with fresh squeezed OJ with Korbel La Premier Champagne.

Packed a bottle of PVW 15 for the 5 day trip.

Heading to Vegas this morning, started with some mimosas made with fresh squeezed OJ with Korbel La Premier Champagne.

Packed a bottle of PVW 15 for the 5 day trip.

Hope you enjoy some of the great bourbons available there (Hirsch blue wax, PVW 20, etc)... and have good luck!

More BTAC tonight; first, a pour of Handy.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

This is rye turned up to 11. :woohoo: Even at its lower proof, it's a lot spicier than the Stagg flight that I had last night. The Buffalo Trace folks keep knocking 'em out of the park, and this is no exception.

Now, the '06 Larue. More vanilla and less chocolate than the Stagg - a bit sweeter. Another beyond-category bottle... just magnficent.

Well, that makes 3-for-3, or 5-for-5 if I count the Fall and Spring '05 Staggs I had last night.

Now I'm having a pour of '06 ER17. Where the barrel-proof BTAC bottles are intense, elemental whiskeys, the ER17 is a subtle, contemplative pour. There's a caramel sweetness to it, and a subtle fruitiness; the wood and a hint of spiciness come out in the finish.

I'd say it's every bit as worthy as the Stagg/Larue/Handy trio, and it would be a bit more newbie-friendly as well. I'm glad I went ahead and got it - I skipped last year's ER17.

I am revisiting ETL tonight. I know that this is a good bourbon, but I keep forgetting how good. Everytime that I pour myself some of this, I am amazed of it, and what a bargain!!

Tonight was a Sazerac cocktail night. A fickle drink to be sure, but sublime if you happen to hit it right. Tonights versions were powered by Wild Turkey Rye. I know of no quicker way to kill a bottle of Rye than to use it to make Sazeracs.

I rounded out my BTAC '06 exploration with Saz 18. Oh, my, this is sublime. I guess the syllogisms would go thus:

ER17::Stagg

Saz 18::Handy

As much as I hate to use such a nebulous term, Saz 18 has quite a depth to it. It doesn't have the intensity of Handy, but there's a brown sugar taste to it, with a very subtle touch of cinnamon hovering in the background. Not only that, but each sip seems to be just a bit different from the last.

BTAC '06? Yes. Every single one of them is worthwhile. I'm glad I bought spares!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.