What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Summer's over folks, and the saga continues.

Not consuming it at the moment, but last night it was a tax stamped Weller from the late seventies/very early eighties that barrel_proof gave me this summer. Absolutely brilliant when consumed with some good dark chocolate!

Last night was a "taste and compare" evening. Started off with Old Grand Dad 86 8year old National Distillers 1986, followed by Old Taylor 86 6year old National Distillers 1987, and finished with Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12year old Heritage Collection early '90s.

The Old Grand Dad won by a mile.

I finished off a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof last night, that I only bought because the BIB wasn't available that day. Although I tend to find 80 proof whiskeys too diluted, I was still impressed with the quality of it. Heaven Hill has really done a terrific job with this brand. They got it exactly right.

One thing I've noticed with 80 proof whiskey is that it helps to take bigger sips.

At the moment, though, I'm sucking on some Old Commonwealth 107 proof.

I reached to my mid shelf, because it was the closest and pulled out a Weller tax stamp...

Ok #1 my variety lies in which day of the week I bought my Bulleit on or which WT 101 had the shiniest label.

I'm coming to California and setting up a tent in your back yard. I'll wait till the patio door is open and then race in to get my nightly poor!:bigeyes:

Does your dog bite?:lol:

Of course I realize you have been at this a day or two longer than me. Hopefully, one day I will be able to post comparable posts. Until then, I am Kelly green with envy:bowdown:

By the way tonight's pour (and enjoying it immensely), 2006 Rittenhouse rye BIB with fingerprints on the bottle.

A couple of small pours of Old Fitz BIB, Maker's, and Four Roses Small Batch. All were very, very good. But, the Four Roses continues to amaze me. There is so much to this whiskey, that I can't begin to describe it. Floral nose, and a hit of licorice, and, and, and. This one may become the 9th bourbon in my top 5!

Well done Four Roses!

:toast:

JOE

....And the bar had WT RR 101, 2 very nice pours neat. Wife had a split of Moet Chandon White Star.

evan williams (regular black label, not the 7yr.) with coca cola black.

i usually drink cc black with OGD BIB 100, but i'm out. very good when i want a drink, but dont want to drink my whiskey strait.

WT 12 year export version, later sometime soon I'll write about my impressions on the differences between the 3 predominant versions of the 12 year turkeys and how different they seem to be... This one it seems really has a nose that doesn't match it's palate. Pretty decent pour for the duty free price that I paid.

Earlier tonite it was one of the many great values around $20, Buffalo Trace. A worthy and elegant looking everyday pour.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed, I hadn't know how much I missed it, probably Eagle Rare 10 next, but we'll see.

I'm having Henry McKenna Single Barrel, bbl#285, but because it's my last pour of the evening I don't have the wherewithall to properly describe it (although I did have the wherewithall to type the word wherewithall).

I'll just say that it is an unbelievably good bourbon. Who would have thought an Irishman could care so much about making good whiskey? ;^)

(I only dare a joke like that because I have some Irish ancestry in me)

I'm having Black Maple Hill 14-year tonight. I just got my prize possessions and can't wait to try them this weekend - one bottle each of the BT experimentals! I'll share my reaction to them as soon as I open them.

Just got a shipment from Hi-Times two weeks ago with some Eagle Rare, Old Charter 8 year old, Weller SR, Weller Antique, and an Evan Williams SB.

I have been enjoying all of them with the exception of the Old Charter. For some reason it reminds me of Evan Williams Black.

The Weller SR is just one heck of a bang for the buck.

I have been enjoying all of them with the exception of the Old Charter. For some reason it reminds me of Evan Williams Black

This may be one of the first references to drinking OC 8yo that I know of. I am currently using a bottle as my cooking whiskey (it was on sale and the cheapest thing in the grocery) I did try it just because I had never had it. I found it to be a bit on the light side and very plain. For the price -1.75 in the mid teens- it may well be the best drink in its price range, but it's still in the very low end. This is a whiskey that needs some age and to not be watered down so much. The 12yo is much better, so is the 13yo, but the 12 yo is so much cheaper, it is definitely the sweet spot in the price/performance game.

And just to stay completely on topic, I'm gonna go pour a OC 13yo!

I just had a small taste of Rock Hill Farms from the only bottle I have ever owned. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did not taste odd this time but rather quite good. Perhaps I shall investigate further this weekend.

Evan Williams Vintage 1995 and 1996 and some 1792. I can't wait for the Evan Williams Vintage 1997 to come out, I will for sure be sippin on some of that this fall as well.

Wild Turkey 101 and Evan Williams SB 95. I just bought and tried EC 18 for the first time and will just have to see if I get used to it.

WT 101

Stopped by a local place tonight. Haven't beeen there in... I don't know... way too long.

Saw a jar on the bar. "Donations for Roger". What happened to Roger? Pancreatic cancer... spread to his lungs... only a few months left.

Suddenly every thing seems hollow. Empty. Roger is not really a friend --- more of an acquaintance. A bearded iron worker and guitar player with an amazingly rich baritone voice. The stereotypical "hail fellow / well met" Someone who shared a hello, a joke, a drink, a laugh, a faux serious / philosophical observation. A fellow traveler in life.

I stared into my glass as the silence in the bar seemed to wrap around all of us.

After an eternity (probably around the third pour), the door opens. In walks... Roger. At once both a shadow of his former self and yet bigger than life. Ravaged yet unbowed by the radiation and chemo. Greetings and (what otherwise would have been embarassed) hugs are shared by all. We all try to avoid the truth that hangs in the air (Roger much more successfully than the rest of us.)

A toast... I with my bourbon; others with a bottle of beer or whatever is at hand. Roger with a Pepsi... all that his stomach can handle right now.

"To tomorrow"

The silence returns... both comforting and awkward at the same time.

Later, as I leave, I stick a twenty into the jar on the bar. Life really sucks sometimes.

WT 101

I just had a small taste of Rock Hill Farms from the only bottle I have ever owned. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did not taste odd this time but rather quite good. Perhaps I shall investigate further this weekend.

Phew!

"Rather quite good" is praise indeed from you Mr. Gothbat... I got back to my last couple of slugs of RHF last night and found that my sister had nicked some and watered it down, hoping I wouldn't notice. I did, needless to say.

Oh well no harm done - a JB black tonight followed by a small Booker's that really is just the ticket.

Maybe one more for Elvis?

I got back to my last couple of slugs of RHF last night and found that my sister had nicked some and watered it down, hoping I wouldn't notice. I did, needless to say.

I'm pretty sure there are laws against this. If there aren't, there should be. Buy her a bottle for her birthday. I don't care if she is 12. Buy her a bottle and tell her adding water to the bottle is a death warrant.:lol:

I have nightmares when I read stuff like this. I know 12 or 13 years down the road I'm going to be dealing with the same stuff!

Friday the 13th finds me with new bottles of Rock Hill SB and Old Grand-dad 114. Both bourbons are new for me as a taster, and both could not be more different from one another... my first impressions: I love the aggressiveness of OGD 114, super spicy, medium hot :hot:, vanilla, wow! :grin: This bourbon is quite different from anything in my collection. I drank the first half neat and then added some water and I find some subtle fruity flavors coming out now.

The Rock Hill by comparison has a much fruitier (and less spicy) nose... perhaps this bourbon is more refined or maybe it's just the decanter bottle that's throwing me. It's not nearly as hot as OGD and the mouth not quite as spicy. Caramel, some citrus. This strikes me as a sophisticated bourbon, an easy drinker.

After trying both of these my stomach is warm and my head just beginning to swim slightly. I'm happy with both of these additions to my collection... I'm not in the least disappointed with either. Win Win!

Let's just keep it a secret from my wife that I picked up an other two bottles today.

She claims the other 7 bottles I currently have are enough. :rolleyes:

Pish Posh!

Weller 7 yr 90. On sale at my local emporium for $14.99. This is a darn good $15 pour, and it would be a good $20 pour and it might even be a good $25 pour. I love a bargain.

Let's just keep it a secret from my wife that I picked up an other two bottles today.

She claims the other 7 bottles I currently have are enough. :rolleyes:

Pish Posh!

That's what they all say. :lol:

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.