My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

dave ziegler

Today I am thinking about all the different Bourbons that we made all good and most different from each other. Old Hickory was always our Most Famous one but Our Hallers County Fair and County Fair BIB were a very Big seller back then also. But we had lots of others such as Planters Club and Planters Club Kentucky Bourbon. Also Doughertys and Country Gentilmen. Way back we made a sweep stakes Straight Whiskey and Hallers De Luxe Striaght Bourbon and Red Crown Bourbon for A&P Stores!

Another real big seller was our Charter Oak Bourbon & BIB Bourbon. The last few years we distilled Whiskey we also had the Stillbrook and Bourbon Supreme Labels and made those fine Bourbons too. There are more but I always seem to forget some. There was very little in Spirits that we did not produce and when I find something we made once in a great while, I am always pleased with it. Our products were made with Quality and care.

For anyone who has ever seen one of our early Bottles the Company Crest has this written on it

1. Skill-2.Purity-3. Quality

I will always be proud to have worked at Kinsey for Continental and remembering the People and the great Whiskeys!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most magnificent Bourbon

--------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I want to talk about this morning is that when I was at the Plant 6 weeks ago or so when I found those two 1/2 pint bottles of Scotch I also found an Old Blue print for the grain buildings & DSP-PA-12.

The Blue print is titled the Potato Project and talks of setting things up for Potato Distillation! It is dated at about the beginning of WWII and I guess they were thinking about distilling Potato's for the War effort! When I get a chance I will Post a picture of the Blue print it is weak and I want to mount it to something to preserve it. I also want to ask Ludy about this as he worked there then and might be able to give me some inside information on this idea.

It seems whenever I think I am running out of History it just keeps coming to me. I also am looking forward to meeting the Man who was a top Ex for Publicker this Spring I will then have tons of History, Pictures and Whiskey Information!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All the Nicest people drink Old Hickory

Last night I called Ludy and asked him about the Kinsey Potato Project that was on the old Blue print I have. He did remember it but did not remember a lot after all these yrs from 1941 he told Me it never ended up being done as they decided to stick to doing that in Phila at DSP-Pa-1

It was something They had thought might help even more in the war effort but my and Ludy's guess was that the Grain buildings were so old that it was not cost worthy.

During the war years Dsp-Pa-12 ran daily at least 2 shifts and sometimes 3 shifts. The mash was taken to the steers every day. Publicker was one of the Most Important Distiller's during the War.

It always seems so imposible to me that they are long gone but their History is an amazing one filled with many inovations and there are still many of their Pattens being used today and Ideas.

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Night I brought out my Bottle of Mount Vernon Straight Rye Whiskey BIB distilled 1936 Bottled 1942. Everytime I drink some of it I go back to the Rye Whiskey we made at Kinsey. It is of the Flavor smell and feel in your Mouth of Our Own famous Rye Rittenhouse Rye.

I have never till I found this Old Bottle Found anything Like the Rye of that time. Todays Ryes while being Nice can not compare to those back then. It is 100 Proof BIB and yet rolls down very smooth no Water needed! Full flavor but not hard or harsh going down.

There is a big difference and I would think that any old timers would say the same thing these older Ryes were just Better. Rittenhouse Rye was the First Whiskey I ever drank and it amazed me the first time I had it. I liked it very much like eating Liquid Rye bread.

I also think there is a difference in todays Bourbons and there are many awesome Bourbons Today but they are different from Old Hickory I am not saying any are better of new or old I am saying very much different.

Old Hickory was a happening in your Mouth every sip! It just had flavors coming all through your Mouth with every Shot.

Was it The Mash Bill, and or Our Water the grain I do not know but in a side by side they are very different one from another! And For Me there is just something great about a shot of Old Hickory 86Pf-10 yr.

There are so many times I wish I could go back in time and get some bottles to put away but it is gone but not forgotten.

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Kinsey The Richest Of All Whiskeys

Join The Swing To Kinsey

Kinsey The Genial Gin

All I can say is The Rye Of Today is nothing like the Post Prohibition well aged Rye of the Old days! It just has flavor that seems to jump around in your Mouth!

The Rye I drank back in 1966 at Kinsey was out of this world Good and this Old Mount Vernon Bottle from the 1930's-40's is so Dam good its hard to believe. Wish I had 10 bottles of it!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------

Philadelphia The Heritage Whiskey

Hey Dave...I just saw these old advertisements posted on whiskymag dot com, and I thought you might want to see them here.

post-3718-14489815259068_thumb.jpg

post-3718-14489815259279_thumb.jpg

WOW thanks they are great ads never saw those western ones ever! Today has been a really great day Fricky and I met at my friends house across from the Distillery and picked up our 2 Continental Distilling Rye Mash Barrels which I hand picked from in the Plant about 2 months ago when My friends unlocked the door and took me in.

They are mint condition and the Bung's are still in them the Whiskey evaporated out of them! They also got me the Kinsey Pa #10 Distillery sign that used to be on the DSP-PA-12 Still after Mr Kinsey built it. They even removed an old block of wood from it and got their saw and trimed a bad end off it! Fricky is going to patch it where it is broken with two boards and then try to spray something to keep the Lettering on it from flaking off. It is the most Historic Sign in the place and will have a spot of Honor at my Home.

I also took a set of matching Receiving & Mash bill from Mar 15 1951 to the Limerick Historic Society and donated it today with a promise they will frame and mat it as I did mine. I told them it is one of a kind in the world I have the only ones that still exsist! They were very Excited about having them.

Fricky will when he starts our Barrels post before and after pictures of them. They are in amazing shape and they are a very rare thing to have as dated 1971! They must have never got dumped and were put away in building L and the Whiskey evaported in them but they had Hoop Nails on them so the Hoops stayed tight!

Once Fricky fixes the sign for me I will take pictures of it and post them, this has been a great day for History of Kinsey and it is time for me to go have a shot of Whiskey and get to bed.

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I never Got to try the BIB 100 Proof Old Hickory but it was a big seller! It too was 6 years old we never made an Old Hickory that was not at least 6 years of aging or 10 yrs! And as I have said we even had a special 20 yr Old Hickory! I think the aging of at least 6 yrs has to be a big part of why Old Hickory was and is when found today Dam Good Whiskey!

The Company always took The Making Of Old Hickory very serious as it was our Number One Bourbon and Our Biggest seller. It had its own Mash Bill not shared with any of our Other Bourbons.

I would think the character of Old Hickory BIB would have been alot like Our Haller's County Fair BIB but with 2 more yrs aging and a much more smooth Rich Flavor. When you drink Old Hickory your mouth feels lots of flavors coming out of everywhere and it always rolls down so easy!

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest people drink Old Hickory

Working in the Old Wood and Brick Warehouses at Kinsey was one of the hardest Jobs. The reason being they were limitted in space when you got between the rack to roll the barrels, you had to either climb the wooden Ladders to get to each level all the way up to the 6th level or ride the old fashion Freight Elevater a couple people only at at time. There was just enough room in warehouses D,E by the Old Bottle House and F,G and H for a small lift on the first two levels to bring barrels down.

In the two oldest 1892 Warehouses built by Jacob Kinsey - A & B- you had to use a very weird hoist that was mounted in the roof you would put a chain and hook on each end of the barrel on the heads and tighten the chain with the electric hoist then slowly lower the Barrel. These two old Warehouses were the frist to not be filled in the end years!

In the other Oldest warehouses the freight Elevaters were very touchy you had to always make sure to be exact in the amount of Barrels you loaded or you would go crashing to the ground floor. I Had that happen once when one of the guys loaded an extra barrel on when I was not looking and hit bottom Hard.

They were just Brick walls with a couple of Windows on the river side of them and lighting and a little heat and lots of Sprinklers mounted everywhere inside! Even the 1892 Warehouses A,B had sprinklers!

Some of the Very Best Rye Whiskey and Bourbons came from these old Wood and Brick warehouses and I had my First Shot of Rye at 19 yrs old from them!

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old hickory

Here is a Picture I took of the Old Blue print I Found at the Kinsey Maintaince Barn about the Potato Project I was wrong about the year it was being considered in 1946 just after the end of the war by Continental they were thinking I guess about distilling Potato's there at DSP-Pa-12. I just framed it tonight

Also Fricky sent me these Last 5 pictures by e mail of our two Barrels we got from my friends at Kinsey on Sunday and the Old Sign after they cut the extra off the end and the two barrel staves with bungs. Fricky is going to restore the sign some for me and I will preserve it at home then. He is going to turn our two 1971 Continental Distilling Rye Mash Whiskey Barrels into tables for us keeping them original.

Also He is going to finish the two Barrel Staves with Bungs I got us at Kinsey this Past fall! The sign is the rarest sign from the Plant, it was laying in a pile of bricks when I found it after the still was knocked down it flew off it and broke some but I was able to dig it out and now after fricky fix's it a little I will save it for History! It was mounted on the Front of DSP-Pa-12 by Mr Kinsey back when it was built and thankfully survived the building being knocked down.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-1448981528888_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815289259_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815289637_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815290022_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815290418_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815290806_thumb.jpg

Here is a Picture I took of the Old Blue print I Found at the Kinsey Maintaince Barn about the Potato Project I was wrong about the year it was being considered in 1946 just after the end of the war by Continental they were thinking I guess about distilling Potato's there at DSP-Pa-12. I just framed it tonight

Also Fricky sent me these Last 5 pictures by e mail of our two Barrels we got from my friends at Kinsey on Sunday and the Old Sign after they cut the extra off the end and the two barrel staves with bungs. Fricky is going to restore the sign some for me and I will preserve it at home then. He is going to turn our two 1971 Continental Distilling Rye Mash Whiskey Barrels into tables for us keeping them original.

Also He is going to finish the two Barrel Staves with Bungs I got us at Kinsey this Past fall! The sign is the rarest sign from the Plant, it was laying in a pile of bricks when I found it after the still was knocked down it flew off it and broke some but I was able to dig it out and now after fricky fix's it a little I will save it for History! It was mounted on the Front of DSP-Pa-12 by Mr Kinsey back when it was built and thankfully survived the building being knocked down.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting the two 50 gal barrels is a very exciting thing for me as they are another part of the Plant and its history. There are maybe 47 Barrels left in the One warehouse building and that is it and it is amazing there are any in good shape really after all these years. The Building they are in is dryer and in good shape. Also I am very glad I was able to save the Still Sign from going to the dump. It flew to where it was buried when the still was knocked down and I spoted it a year ago and slowly dug it out of the mess when I went there. Then with winter coming I turned it over so snow would not lay on the writtting on it. Thanks to being friends with the guys that watch things it is now safe and getting repaired. I could Have most likely never carried it out throught the field to heavy as it had metal and was longer till the guys cut some extra wood off and took the metal covering around it off.

Saving the History and memories of Kinsey is my Goal as long as I can do it.

Also I found first Picture above the Potato Project Blue print the day I found the 2 1/2 Pint bottles of Scotch that sat in the wall for 35 + years Ludy thought they had belonged to my Old friend there Lou Thought he remembered him telling him he hid them there but so long ago can't be sure! Sadly the Place is starting to get nearer the end and I hate to think of the day it will be gone!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am Planning to go back to Kinsey this weekend weather permitting and get some more shots and look for some more history Pieces. So Many times I wish all of you could try our Whiskeys against the ones Now and see how they stacked up I would be very willing to bet they would do very good. I think the Old hickorty would take on the Best if for no other reason then its being aged at least 6 years and its High Quality.

The Company Had 4 Laboratorys one in Center City, one at DSP-Pa-1 In Phila for both Industrial and drinking Alcohol and One in the Big Bottling house in Linfield and I have been told one in Eddystone Pa and a 5th one at Lemont IL bottling house.

I am lucky to have an Actual Laboratory Beaker for Bourbon from Kinsey in my Collection.

I just feel the need to walk there again and just look and remember, it is good for my soul it seems. I have been looking through my many pieces of company Paper work and want to take some good scans of them and post them.

I wish I could have got there looking back now when DSP-Pa-12 was still standing to get shots in there for History. When I worked there I was amazed at how good they took care of the Place not just the Lawns and things you see but the Oldest not used Buildings were always kept up.

I have some Paper work about daily Out put in the Big Bottle House I want to dig out and post also. I look at every Piece of Company Paper work I saved as living History and I am pleased that I found the old Blue Print titiled The Potato Project while it was still there laying just out of the rain and weather in good shape.

Everytime I go there I find or see Parts of Pa. Distilling History and there are times when I wish I could have seen Old #12 making Great Whiskey but that ended in early 1951.

Another thing I have been thinking since we were so big and yet there seems to be so little Old Hickory still foating around in peoples cabinets and old stores it is a testament to How Dam Good It Was!

I plan on calling Ludy Today and talk some about the place as he most times tells me something interesting for sure.

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, is there a current bourbon that comes closest to the taste of Old Hickory? At least, what is Old Hickory closest to..say by comparison:

Example....if you were to sit down and pour 6 different bourbons....it would be interesting to see where Old Hickory would slot in along the profile.

Not the same but ones Like Eagle Rare 17 yr Old, Ridgemont 1792, All Fairly High end Whiskeys I can afford are close but not the same they seem to miss the flavors moving around in your Mouth the way that Old Hickory Does. And they are not as smooth in their Finish but I really like the Eagle rare 17 Yr Bourbon, it has qualities like Old Hickory not the same but smooth and flavorful! The New Riitenhouse Rye is Great But not at all like our Version of it. The Old Mount vernon Rye from 1936-1942 I bought last summer is almost the same as Our Rye was! I have had shots from friends of Other very expensive Bourbons I could not afford and they are just not the same as Old Hickory. The Eagle Rare 17 Yr which is pricey for me is the closest also Regular Eagle Rare 10 yr reminds me a little of Our 80 Proof version.

If I were to Pick the Distiller who makes the closest it would be the Old Prentice Distillery in Ky.

To me it just seems that the Bourbons of Old are just different and in many hard to explain ways. I have when I have Old Hickory compared it with others and yet the Old Hickory always pleases me more!

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink old Hickory

When I worked at Kinsey for Continental I grew to Love our Products to the point I did not buy anything but our Products. It was not just because I worked there that of course being part of it. It was because I thought Our Products were the best out there at that time!

And I have no doubt they were because if for no other reason Our State of the Art 1966 Bottling House which when it opened in fall 1965 was the most technologic Bottling House in the world. We had the Best of Labs with lots of Scientific Equipment and Of Course we had experiance from 1933 being one of the first to set up to make great Whiskeys Under Mr Si Neuman!

Those days the company was very inovative and till Mr Neuman died we kept up with the Lastest things. The Year mr Neuman died found us making Our Famous 1976 Libery Bell decanter for Philadelphia Blended whiskey. I am lucky to have 4 of them one being full yet in its box with owners manual and original recipt for purchase.

The Company how ever sure had their trouble with the Bell they leaked alot and thousands of them were defective.

Ludy told me they leaked on the Bell at one of the made to look like a crack spots and the maker refused to refund or replace them.

They had to even go to court about them.

But meanwhile they got others and continued to sell them through the Bicentential yr.

Ludy told me he could not count how many were taken down to the Dump and trashed but he saved some for History and gave me 2 of mine.

When it came to Blended Whiskey Philadelphia Blended was my Favorite and the recipe as far as I know for it was shared by Governors Club Blended whiskey. Other Blendeds Like Kinsey were different.

Now that I have the 4/5 Pint of Kinsey Silver Blended Ludy gave me I find it to be a Delightful Blended Whiskey that I enjoy very much but sadly only till the Bottle goes empty.

I like the Kinsey Blended enough that if I ever find any again I will buy it gladly!

Mr Kinsey Lived to be 94 Years Old early 1950's and Kinsey Distillery Operated till fall 1986 94 Years!

Dave Z

Kinsey The Unnhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Join The Swing To Kinsey

Kinsey The Genial Gin

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a shot of the Old Sign from DSP-PA-12 right after i got it out of the Pile of Bricks Last fall. Not it is longer on the side with nails sticking out, the guys trimed that off plus took off the Old Metal that was part of what used to fram it on the still! Fricky is going to find something to coat it with to keep the paint from lifting any more where it is lettered as laying for years under the pile took its toll. I hope to find more exciting things like this in the next month or so when warmer days come before spring when everything grows.

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489815293125_thumb.jpg

Well I got a good day yesterday and took a 2 1/2 hr walk through Kinsey and Got some pictures and a couple of treasures out of O building which was open then!

Here we go

1. The box and what is left of the Government Mens Christmas tree they put up every year in their office in Building O

2. Old time Hot Plate that Sam and the government men used to heat lunches on

3. I found one of the old Army coats they used to give us laying in a dirty pile belonged to one of the government Men

4. Here is the dump trough in Building O and tank platform where it was pumped to go to the Bottling house

5. Closeup of Trough O Building with old Bungs and charcoal laying in srceens

6. Ruin in O Building Kids just dumped tons of Caps for bottles everywhere.

7. I shot these next two shots through the door cracked partly open of Warehouse H the Last wood and brick Warehouse built by Jacob G Kinsey in 1936, amazingly it is not leaking much yet dry and Ok in parts

8. The frieght elevator in warehouse H the only Freight Elevator that still stands of them the ones in other buildings have fallen down door is raised as if it is ready to go get barrels it was one of these I took my ride straight down to the floor in but in warehouse E out front

9. Closeup of the old trough buried in the wreakage of the second floor of the Old Kinsey Bottle House out front.

10. Paper from what was left of an Old Hickory Display they were heavy cardboard and the state stores would set them up and stack bottles on them. I have two complete and perfect Inver House Red ones. I found this laying where Kids had torn up the rest of it in Bulding O and brought it home and cleaned it yesterday!

11. I found a bundle of very interesting papers up in the Government Locker room the first one here Compares whiskey Proofs with different Amounts of Heating in different areas and Floors in Explosion proof Warehouses S & T in April May and June of 1948 for changes of Proof they would go take samples take them to the Phila Lab back then and see if the proof went up or down.

This whiskey was all distilled at DSP-Pa-12 Linfield and notes that at the bottom

A Single Barrel of 1950 Production was Proofed. It was filled a 110 serial number -- B 674577-- location 3 floor 4th tier 102 temperature was 43

12.Barrels in Warehouses P, S, T,and Q April 1955 with heat added and the increase in proof with heat it says 4 Plus etc

13. Last sheet March 1955 It states at the bottom of this sheet that all these Kegs calls the barrels Kegs are Producted at Kinsey Distillery # Dsp-Pa-10 Rye still stored in warehouse P, Q, R, S and T

They are the only production of it, so that any tax Payment of Kinsey Rye 1948 would be under Proof at about average 98 proof.

One last note finding these shows that they still as of late 1940's and early 1950's made Kinsey Rye in the Old DSP-pa-10 Pot type still in the Old #10 Barn!

I will continue to try and find and save these kind of Papers for History, the last time I got in O Building I found the Mash Bills from 1951 there are no more that is why I took a Matched Recieved and Mash Bil set right to the Limerick Historic Society to preserve it for History. I have always loved History and there is nothing like being able yourself to save pieces of it!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Genail Gin

Join The Swing To Kinsey

--------------------------

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

post-1964-14489815294898_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815295309_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815295698_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815296125_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815296538_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815296949_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815297367_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815297789_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815298195_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981529858_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815298841_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981529913_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815299402_thumb.jpg

Well I got a good day yesterday and took a 2 1/2 hr walk through Kinsey and Got some pictures and a couple of treasures out of O building which was open then!

Here we go

1. The box and what is left of the Government Mens Christmas tree they put up every year in their office in Building O

2. Old time Hot Plate that Sam and the government men used to heat lunches on

3. I found one of the old Army coats they used to give us laying in a dirty pile belonged to one of the government Men

4. Here is the dump trough in Building O and tank platform where it was pumped to go to the Bottling house

5. Closeup of Trough O Building with old Bungs and charcoal laying in srceens

6. Ruin in O Building Kids just dumped tons of Caps for bottles everywhere.

7. I shot these next two shots through the door cracked partly open of Warehouse H the Last wood and brick Warehouse built by Jacob G Kinsey in 1936, amazingly it is not leaking much yet dry and Ok in parts

8. The frieght elevator in warehouse H the only Freight Elevator that still stands of them the ones in other buildings have fallen down door is raised as if it is ready to go get barrels it was one of these I took my ride straight down to the floor in but in warehouse E out front

9. Closeup of the old trough buried in the wreakage of the second floor of the Old Kinsey Bottle House out front.

10. Paper from what was left of an Old Hickory Display they were heavy cardboard and the state stores would set them up and stack bottles on them. I have two complete and perfect Inver House Red ones. I found this laying where Kids had torn up the rest of it in Bulding O and brought it home and cleaned it yesterday!

11. I found a bundle of very interesting papers up in the Government Locker room the first one here Compares whiskey Proofs with different Amounts of Heating in different areas and Floors in Explosion proof Warehouses S & T in April May and June of 1948 for changes of Proof they would go take samples take them to the Phila Lab back then and see if the proof went up or down.

This whiskey was all distilled at DSP-Pa-12 Linfield and notes that at the bottom

A Single Barrel of 1950 Production was Proofed. It was filled a 110 serial number -- B 674577-- location 3 floor 4th tier 102 temperature was 43

12.Barrels in Warehouses P, S, T,and Q April 1955 with heat added and the increase in proof with heat it says 4 Plus etc

13. Last sheet March 1955 It states at the bottom of this sheet that all these Kegs calls the barrels Kegs are Producted at Kinsey Distillery # Dsp-Pa-10 Rye still stored in warehouse P, Q, R, S and T

They are the only production of it, so that any tax Payment of Kinsey Rye 1948 would be under Proof at about average 98 proof.

One last note finding these shows that they still as of late 1940's and early 1950's made Kinsey Rye in the Old DSP-pa-10 Pot type still in the Old #10 Barn!

I will continue to try and find and save these kind of Papers for History, the last time I got in O Building I found the Mash Bills from 1951 there are no more that is why I took a Matched Recieved and Mash Bil set right to the Limerick Historic Society to preserve it for History. I have always loved History and there is nothing like being able yourself to save pieces of it!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Genail Gin

Join The Swing To Kinsey

--------------------------

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

I may go back to Kinsey this afternoon if the weather is not to bad to look for more History Papers! There is a good bit of Paper work to look through and some of it is either to dirty or ripped.I want to also Post some of the Fire drill paper work I found in warehouse H when I got in there last year before the door got blocked. I think the Papers about Proof Increase with heat are very interesting and also the paper that talks about Kinsey Rye made in Number 10 and the papers state all of the Whiskey tested was done at Kinsey some dsp-pa-12 and the Rye dsp-pa-10 hope everone enjoys them try to blend Pictures History and People that worked there in all of them. When I went in the Warehouses we were getting alot of the last of the Barrels of whsikey out of the Old Wood and Brick ones and it was very interesting and if you climbed the Wood Ladder up to the 6th tier kind of scary I most times rode the frieght Elevator up then just climbed the 3 lelvels on each of the Tier!

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The nicest people Drink Old Hickory

------------------------------------------------------

Here are some of the wonderful things I have saved through the years from Kinsey for History.

1. & 2. My Explosion proof switchs Lit and not lit I have been working on them wire brushing them and they know look very good. I still have 3 other sets being done by an electrian friend I will get back in the future.

3. Closeup of the Potato Project Blue print Information corner

4. A This Sign is 4 feet Long from Building P I carried this thing out it is about a good mile I carried it but Kids had ripped it from the wall and I could not stand to see it rot!

4. B Complete Inver House state store setup I found a box full of these and got two putting one togher I have my Inver House on it

5. & 6. Two Barrel Heads I saved from the Plant dated 1963

7. Sign room F from Warehouse R inside firstfloor, 8... two signs from Warehouse P that go with the big one to make a complete set

9.. & 10. Here is a small complete Explosion proof Light Lens and Hood I brought home.

11. thru 14. This is a complete Philadelphia Blended Whiskey Libery Bell I bought private it has the box Wraping, Owners Manuel and Original Recipt for 19.95 & Tax! It is about 2/3 full, I had to repair and replace the cork.

This was one of the only two Decanters Continental ever made it was made in 1976/77 they also made the Andy Jackson one in 1955/56.

15. This is the heavy card board Panel from an old Cardboard Display setup for state stores The Kids had ripped it to hell but I cut repaired and restored this part in is about 2 foot high.

16. The Last thing is a Old Hickory Bar sign bought and given me by Jazzhead ( Kurt ) yesterday!

I hope to save many more things as I find them if I get the chance

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon

----------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489815301895_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815302192_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815302488_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981530283_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815303134_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815303411_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815303783_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815304099_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815304392_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815304708_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815305094_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815305539_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815305818_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815306219_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815306527_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815306754_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815306992_thumb.jpg

While I was loading these Pictures above to put on this morning Last night I was talking to my Friend In Ca who was the top person I have ever spoken to that was an Excutive for Publicker and I was telling him about some of the stuff I have saved from Kinsey and He was truely delighted.

He also told me when he comes to Pa in the spring he will show me many Hundreds of Pictures of the Philadelphia Plant and I will be able to post some hopefully I have no pictures of it and the Pictures he has were from the days it and Kinsey and Our Chemical Plant in La operated so they should be awesome.

He also told me again about how much capacity Our Bottle House had we could do all our bottling for each given Day and also do all the bottling that Seagrams needed that same day.

Amazingly He has never had any of the Peanut Lolita Liqour I have and I promised him some when he gets here. I am really excited about talking Publicker for hours with him and he knows more then any other Living Person having overseen the building of all the Expolsion proof Warehouses in the early 1940's. The buildings he told me yesterday were built by a very Famous Builder Mc Cluskie Builders in Phila Spelled wrong by me I am sure and as I have written before the Brick Work was done by Kelly For Brick Princess Grace Kellys Familys bussiness. He also told me about Harry Publicker and what a great man he was also and a very brave man who lost both his legs in the 1950's and kept going learning to walk on Artificial Legs. He did not ever give up and He did many secret Donations to many things making sure like Mr Neuman always did that while He was living No One Would Know He did!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------

Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon

---------------------------------------------------

I don't know why I forgot and took pictures of the Paper work I could have scaned them but in taking Pictures of the signs I did them with the camera. I will be scaning in some so it is easy to read the Paper work this week I have reams of Paper work from the plant even papers about selling Mr Medley Old Hickory Bourbon in bottles and Barreled whiskey. I also have many more Labels I want to post some of. We had over 115 Brands in our Hayday and even at the end Had wine we sold by the Name of Haller's Ros'e. If someone would have said that the place would be out of bussiness 15 years after I left I would never have believed it.

My last year there we were still very busy and the Most Important thing was Mr Neuman was still living and running everything. He was the driving force that kept the Company going. He had so many amazing Ideas and was never afraid to try them once he thought them out.

My Friend who was a high up EX said on sunday when I called him that if Mr Neuman would not have died so sudenly He thinks he would have got a team of the right people to insure the place continued after he was gone.

But he went in the hospital for something minor and got something like the Legion sickness while in and died. Once he died alot of people started to take advantage of a bad situation and used it to get money and the place just went on a down spiral that it never pulled out of. I am truely excited about talking to him this spring He lives I found out not more then a few miles from where I work.

He said to me you may well have sat across from me eating Lunch and not know it all these years. When I talk to him I will be able to get information about Production, brands and so many things that only He will know, He is the one person who is living that knows more about Publicker then anyone else and I am thankful he called me in Nov of Last year.

I can hardly wait to see the Industrial Pictures He has of the Publicker Plant and the Bigler street Bottle house in Phila He most likey is the only person with pictures of those plants I have never seen any.

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------

Old hickory America's Finest Bourbon

It Seems all The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

----------------------------------------------