My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

dave ziegler

Many Thanks for the Kind words Jono I went to Kinsey today at 8:30-AM till 12:30-Pm. I took alot of pictures as people had ripped open all the warehouses.

I posted some new ones from the roof of the Old Warehouse Q of the Fire Observation room on that thread this afternoon and now going to post other pictures I took.

1. Shot from window on front staircase of Warehouse J of the two 1/2 million gal tanks

2. Fork lift truck in warehouse S

3. Looking down toward warehouse R

4. Electric Boxes on wall first floor Warehouse Q

5. Sign in stair well Warehouse Q fire tower warehouse

6. & 7. Dump trough warehouse #38

8. Exlopsion prrof Elevator warehouse Q

9. another shot of the dump trough in warehouse #38

10. thru 15. Barrels sitting in warehouse C where I got me and Fricky our two Barrels.

16. The Stump whiskey Filter warehouse C

17. Whiskey still sitting in filter housing Warehouse C

18. Tank in Warehouse C

19. thru 21. I think the last surviving 120 gallon I think Large whiskey Barrel top head fallen in warehouse C

It is always so unreal when I go to Kinsey as I walk in I expect security to drive up and to see trucks roaring around and people everywhere and all I saw were Hawks flying around crowing!

If like me you would have worked there you too would wonder WHY_!

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

post-1964-14489815487481_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815517813_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815518107_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815518516_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815518781_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815519182_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815520758_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815521058_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815521344_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815521749_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815522135_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815522525_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815522911_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815523319_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815523729_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815524164_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815524548_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815524797_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815525063_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815525351_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815525728_thumb.jpg

When I revisited Warehouse C Sunday morning I was amazed at how many Barrels are still there and in Good Shape. When my friends let me in took pick out a barrel for Fricky and me I was just looking to find the two nicest tightest ones I could find and did not really take in how many there were.

Also I did not see the 120 Gal Barrel the only one I have seen that exsists in the plant. And If you could have seen the Hoop down back last Summer when I took Fricky and Phils fan in you would have been amazed at its size it was for our 320 Gal Barrles. They were Short and very fat and besides being of white Oak and charred they had charred Strips of White Oak put in them also!

They were Hell to move on the pile and the 120 were certainly not easy to move either. We would use the Lift to stack them and about or 4 People would work them standing on the piles of Aging Whiskey Barrels. I will never Know why they got the Idea to do away with the racks but they did and no original Steel racks exsist in the plant!

Every Time I go back to Kinsey I find something Exciting to look at or bring Home and I feel blessed that I can tell about the Company and its legacy in pa for Fine Spirits and a great place to work.

I have no Idea if any of the now operating Distillerys have ever had flower Beds and trees and perfect lawns as we did then but If you could go back in time you would feel like you walked into a beautiful Park and Wild Life reserve going in there back then!

I was also amazed at how many old Electric Fork trucks still sit in the warehouses and all the never used bottles even though people keep coming in and smashing them.

It makes me sick and I do whatever I can to stop them when I catch them!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------

Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon

kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

------------------------------------------------------------

Those barrels certainly could have been sold off....what a waste.

All of the glass could be recycled....if not sold....somebody else could have put their own labels on them.

Just think.....2,000 yrs from now some archeologist (assuming mankind still lives!) will be digging and will unearth ancient bottles and the foundations of an ancient human habitation of some sort. I suppose whiskey will never go away....it may be made differently...probably ala Jetson's / Star Trek...push a button and a computer "creates" the product.

This is why I try to save every Type of Old case I can from there I just brought home a nice Old Hickory Quart Bottle case that was date stamped 11-6-62. The Company always tried to keep stock looking to use it some day but one of the Big Problems they had was the switching to Metric Sized Bottles after buying many years of Bottle stock through the years.

When they moved the bottle house to Linfield in the Kinsey Plant they shipped up old Bottles and other stuff too! The 1962 dated case would have been from Phila. I found a smashed case of Crafes dated 1951 in one of the warehouses that young people destroyed. To top it off they had been full as had BIB tax strips on them when the Young People smashed them what a waste Old Hickory 100 proof BIB.

I also found papers where they were trying hard to sell Bottle stock and Whiskey and could not get many to buy some when they quit bottling Spirits. So they moved them to the warehouses in Hope they could move them later.

Mr Medley Bought Whiskey labels and Bottles and full bottles from us back in late 1979 early 1980's. But even the Government would not help by refunding taxes so they could sell the bottled stuff and let the buyer pay the tax so it sat tax paid and got burned up by People looking to destroy things many years ago.

Such is the sad End of Kinsey and Publicker!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickkory

After Work Weds I went for a walk at Kinsey again I found a brand new Appleton electric Box and A pilot light which I brought home to save and my friend at work is making me one more Powered Explosion Proof Display unit. I wish I had millions of Dollars I would buy Kinsey and get it all fixed up but That is just dreaming.

In my older Years I have learned what we all do, when we get older Things are never the same and you must savor the moments as they do not come back! Kinsey was a one of a Kind Distillery in its products and its Beauty I doubt there has ever been a Distillery as Beautiful as Kinsey was the Years Publicker ran and owned it!

I always enjoyed being in the yard gang although it had its moments. Like the time we swept the Fire escape stairwells from top to bottom and they were full of dead pidgeons! And unloading the Coal cars at the Boiler Room area. But we had a very Good Boss in John Zuber and he made up for the bad things by not pushing us too hard.

I loved driving the old 1951 Ford pickup around the plant and it really ran good. The Summer was the best time in the Yard Gang as we traveled all the way through the plant triming and mowing lawns mulched Trees and fixed flower beds. I wish I had a picture of the plant in early Spring it was ablaze with Flowers and bright green grass.

Dozens of Pheasants Flying around and deer walking behind the Warehouses. And my favorite thing which was going on there yesterday Cool breezes coming up from the River through the Plant.

The beauty of the plant made coming to work a joy. Mr Si Neuman Loved the Kinsey Distillery and before He died There was much talk of building a brand new still there and I believe if he would not have died so sudenly many good things would have happened there, and He would never Have sold it to Someone like the Person who ownes it now and lets it Rot!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory

America's Most magnificent Bourbon

From back when I worked for Publicker one of the best things they had going besides making great Bourbons and Whiskeys was that they kept the Prices right so you could aford them. An example is Old Hickory which was around $5.95 for a fifth and it was available in most of the USA and oversea's. With the Old Lemont ILL bottle house cranking bottles out to go out west I remember traveling and seeing it everywhere!

It seems so unreal for Old Hickory not to be made anymore to me as back in the day it was the Largest selling Bourbon around. We Had 80 proof, 86 proof and BIB 100 Old Hickory and the youngest was 6 years old with versions in 8yrs, 10yrs and a 20 year aniversary version of it.

I hope in the future to find some more Old Hickory in someones not used Liquor cabinet. Or somewhere. Old Hickory will always be my favorite Bourbon.

I hope that someone some day will buy the brand and make a premuim Bourbon again for this great Whiskey Brand! I Did not get to Kinsey this week but hope to Sat or Sunday.

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink old Hickory

Well Yesterday I took my normal Sunday walk through Kinsey and also got the parts I needed to make Explosion proof switch & Pilot light setups for Fricky and my Buddy Don. My friend at work Paul is wiring them for me plus one last one for me. This project is now complete and I will soon post pictures of the 7 sets I have in my office all parts from the distillery and even some have 50 yr old Bulbs from the plant in them.

While there I routed through some paper work which I will look through tonight if I feel better as I have a very bad Prostrate infection and everything hurts bad.

I was in about 4 of the buildings and took a couple of Pictures of cases of Bottles falling over in Warehouse R after sitting stacked for 30 yrs.

It is really sureal for me every time I go there as it all just does not seem possible. But Kinsey like many other things is now just a place where everything is old and ruined and out of date.

I found my friend at work the last Pinwinnie card board Whiskey case there that was new and never put together and made it up and gave it to him with a nice Philadelphia Blended Whiskey Trade show bottle for this round of his help wiring the switches.

It was a very windy day and some of the sounds you hread if you did not know the place would be scary. Doors to the roof wide open slaming open and shut moaning strange sounds coming through the buildings broken stairwells windows. Even the Elevator fire door in warehouse I shaking and sounding weird.

It was a most beautiful day on Sunday and the river breezes were blowing up through the plant, and like in old times made it a very Pleasant place to be. It was cold in the buildings and they are getting so bad that I fear no one will ever use them for anything again. I could almost feel the Distillery crying saying woe is me for no one wants or needs me or even remembers me.

And I felt very Sad and wished I could return her to the glory that she once had as America's Most Beautiful Distillery. Such is life things and people grow old and go. But as long as I can remember Kinsey she & Publicker and Si Neuman will live on!

This morning I was preparing the Pilot lights and took one of the Lens out to clean it and saw some silver Paint on it and it took me back to Charlie Siepler as He would have been the one to touch up the paint on the Electrical Headers on the walls. We painted and kept up everything and Charlies job was keeping thing nice and painted and working and looking good. I could see the Old Buggy of His in my Mind racing to the building to touch up signs and docks and everything.

How I loved watching him rocket out of the gain drying building in the morning banging gears and spinning wheels. And that old 100 HP Flat head motor sounding great!

I am very blessed to have worked there the few years I did and met the people I did some after all these years still living and being my friends.

We live in such a different world today, those days were of a hopeful happy time and people glad for their jobs and content with their Lives. We had a team spirit working in the plant and work was a happy and good time for us back then!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people drink old Hickory

Are there any Neuman family members still around? Any with an interest in the distillery?

> Hope your prostate is improving...owww.

I am fairly sure there are 3 left two Sons and a daughter of the Neuman Family the problem is the Guy that owns the place wants $20 Million dollars for it in ruin! The Township wanted to buy it till they got his price every one knows that is way to much to just get the plant leaves no leway for money to fix it up.

If the owner had any sense he would have never abandoned it when everything was operating. Once he shut it down and left for 23 yrs everything is getting in ruin.

I reallly wonder how the guy can be so rich when he has no sense to have kept it open and for sale back in 1986 when industrial places like that were very sellable and the #12 still was standing it would have been easy to do something with it but he went back to NY and never returned for yrs.

Last Summer I heard he came down to get some bottles for a friend that has a winery then left again as if all is well. The guys told me that they can't figure him out either and he pays them so little that right now they are just doing their summer work and not checking anything as when I was there all the warehouses were open.

The whole thing is hard for me I can't believe that he just left it all to rot when he left it was still a nice industrial property and now look at it.

I would have made the front into a living History Musuim and made the Buildings into Condo's if nothing else.

Called it the Condo's at Kinsey Distilling History Center but what do I know!

One other thing I did not remember till I was getting electric switch boxes was the doors in the warehouses had some type of electric latch on them which I noticed on each one on the inside I think you had to throw a switch to open them. I will get a picture of the setup next time I get there.

But The owner let those people have a option to buy and they stole all the wiring out of the buildings while telling him they were fixing it and also telling Limerick township they were fixing it. Then they caught the Old Bottle house on fire and knocked down the still and the guys told me they don't think he even knows what they did back in 2004.

Just a note tonight I am going to put a couple of Pictures I took on Sunday and talk about them and the ruin.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People drink Old Hickory

Just a quick note when I was talking to Ludy about the Bottling House at 11:00 am he told me that the racks in all the 14 explosion proof warehouses were 6 tier's high on each floor and again all holding 333,000 barrels per floor times 3 floors. For a total of 999,999 barrels per warehouse back in the day!

Dave Z

Inver House Soft As A Kiss

It might be interesting to contact the Neuman family to see if they have any history to share....maybe they have a large private stock of Old Hickory!

Jono I am sure they would have lots of info if you knew where to go and visit them. I will be finding out lots of things from my Friend who was a top person in the company soon and will ask him lots of questions if it all works out as hoped in early June. I am very Hopful and excited about seeing the mnay Pictures He has of all the Plants!

Dave

-------------------------------------------

Here are some pictures I took inside Warehouse R of cases of New never used bottles on Sunday! The pictures are not as good as could be because I used my old camera at the Plant as I was getting parts for Lighting setups and afraid to bump my camera doing it. The ones at home are with my new camera!

Pictures 1 through 3 pictures of stacked cases of Whiskey bottles in warehouse R ,

and pictures 4 Weather proof switches from the warehouse docks at home in lighting setups & 5 Is Explosion proof setups from inside the warehouses, pictures taken at home Explosion proof Light & pilot light setups.

I have made them up to preserve them for history. Such a shame Continental would buy cases of Bottles yrs ahead of using them and here are many they could never sell sitting and cases falling down off piles after 30 yrs sitting in warehouse R!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489815546195_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815546481_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815546758_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981554707_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815547501_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815547911_thumb.jpg

Well its the weekend and I plan on another trip to Kinsey I am just like a Moth and a flame when it comes to Kinsey. And I finally took my new digital camera to work and gotsome shots of the finished Explosion proof Pilot light and switch sets I have on my desk I have these five on my desk and one at the back and one on the side table for a total of 7 here are a couple of shots one light one not lit and one lit with flash and the lights out.

The one security Guard tells me when he does his rounds he goess in my office turns them on and looks at them in darkness as at night says they are really neat. I told him that was how they looked going into the window less warehouses till you got the lights on! I have put more pictures of the Distillery in front of my desk on the wall to show things and I have a picture of the Electrical Headers as that is what my Friend who wired my strips called the setups in the warehouses.

He said they were amazingly well made by looking at the pictue and very well engineered and thought out. I gve him a picture like the one on my wall with some other goodies for doing these for me.

The two sets in the middle have throw switches side mounted and the others have all the different kinds of switches I remember so well from those days. There is method in my madness as I am preseveing another part of the History of the Plant and what made it such a safe place to work and people who stop in my office think they are wonderfull.

I have one last one I want to get aand that is a round Lever one I know where a nice working one is and I want to get it and a Pilot light box yet!

Then I will start looking for more pieces of History there to save for future people to see.

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

post-1964-14489815577801_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815578239_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815578636_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815577801_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815578239_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815578636_thumb.jpg

This past Saturday I went with my Buddy to some yard sales and I found a 35 mm Camera that sold new for about $400. for ten bucks. I bought it put new batteries in it and took it to Kinsey on Sunday here are some of the Pictures I took with 200 speed film and they turned out just great.

Here they are including a shot in the old Power control room in the old Kinsey Bottling House in very dark light with 200 film! As you can see the weeds and growth are taking over again for the Summer sadly but wanted to share these shots from my Canon EOS G Rebel 35mm Camera that cost me $10.00.

Pic 1.thru 4 looking at the warehouses in different directions

5. Front Water Tower

6. Looking up at the back of O Building the Goverment Building warehouse

7. Warehouse H the last one Jacob Kinsey ever built

8. Front Silo's

9. Stairs in #10 Rye Building

10. Rails from #10 Rye Building going to Warehouse D & E

11. Control room in Old Kinsey Bottle House

12. #10 Rye Building

13.Looking down the drive from out at the front gate

14. The Front Docks of The 1966 Bottling House with weeds taking it over for the summer

15. Another Shot of Warehouse H built in 1936 by Kinsey

16. A shot of the two 1/2 million gal Tanks from the dock of J building roof cuts off part of the top of the picture

17. Far Left side 1/2 Million gal tank

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

America's most magnificent Bourbon

post-1964-14489815580689_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815581059_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815581437_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815581812_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815582169_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815582396_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815582769_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815583158_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981558353_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815583778_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815584162_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815584417_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815584797_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815585168_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815585574_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815585935_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815586311_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815580689_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815581059_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815581437_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815581812_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815582169_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815582396_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815582769_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815583158_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981558353_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815583778_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815584162_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815584417_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815584797_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815585168_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815585574_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815585935_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815586311_thumb.jpg

I was talking to Ludy this morning He will be 91 in Sept this year. He was asking me to see if I can find one of the old Whiskey Thief's they used at the plant to take samples out of the Barrels.

I am not real hopeful as it would be made of Pure Copper and most likely People would take them for scrap metal but I am going there this weekend and look!

Ludy also told me for those that don't know the names of the Hoops on a barrel Top one was called The head Hoop going from top to bottom, Then the Quarter Hoop and next the Belly Hoop and the same way coming up from the Bottom head.

One of his jobs when he was a cooper was taking Samples for Proof and readness of the Whiskey of any given Barrel. The Only reason he left that job was working in the New Bottling house paid a good bit more and He liked setting up the Bottling Machines very much.

Last year I was Lucky enough to find a char scoop that we used to scoop the char out of the troughs after we were done dumping. I also have a Laboratory Test Beaker for Bourbon I found in the 1966 Bottling house in summer 2008. It will soon be to over grown to get in Kinsey Easy so I want to get there for some looking and Pictures yet.

I also want to get some last pictures of the Old Bottling House Kinsey Built before it falls down completely. And I hope to get in the Big Bottle House for some more tank and equipment Pictures and a trip in the old destroyed Lab to look around if anything is open.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------

Your photos remind me of that current tv series Life After People:

http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

How nature reclaims our structures etc. Nice pick up camera...no doubt many film cameras are collecting dust or dumped for sale. I have not used my old Minolta in years....too bad really, but I like the instant digital feedback.

I think film will remain superior for "some" professional applications for at least the near future.

I again took a walk at Kinsey on Memorial day and got some more shots of the place here are some of them!

Here are 5 pictures from O Building the Govermment building pictures taken with my Nikon Digital camera Government building and warehouse and the only one of the 14 Explosion proof warehouses to have windows!

1. Dump trough with bungs and char from the very last dump done there in 1979.

2. Whiskey filter O building

3.Pipes running under Tank Platform

4. Tank Platform, the tank here must have been sold off

4.Platform and to the right on the photo top is the main stainless steel whiskey Line running down through and out the wall to the Bottling house below!

No matter how many times I go to Kinsey it just seems so sureal to go there and see it the way it is. My mind says how can this be and then I just think back to those great days of yesteryear! I got the big tank switch from the area and I am going to restore it like I did the others I got. I can still see Sam Lipkin the head Government man standing there checking and marking off our dumps.

Dave Z

post-1964-14489815596347_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815596766_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815597036_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815597672_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815598075_thumb.jpg

I went to Kinsey after work today for one last walk till the weeds die down at the Plant it is to hard getting in there. Here are some more of my Pictures that I took on Memorial day! There will be more later!

1.& 2. Warehouses looking down through the plant

3. Shot from stair well Building Q

4. & 5. Shots of the two Half million gal whiskey tanks middle of the plant from J building stair well.

6.&7. two shots of the Electric Headers in warehouse J.

It gets harder for me as I see the place going down everytime I go there and seeing the terrible things the Young people do to Her! She ( Kinsey) was such a beautiful place back in the years I worked there. The two friends of mine who watch the place feel real bad too as they remember well how very beautiful Kinsey was back in the day.

I can see that Kinsey will just go on rotting away because of the person who bought it and does not give a dam about it. But for me it is an old friend dying and I can not do anything to help.

This is why I save everything I can of the place to keep it alive! And till my life is over I will try my best to write about what a great Place to work it was!

Dave Z

post-1964-14489815598355_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815598747_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815599141_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815599565_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815599966_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815600389_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815600671_thumb.jpg

Dave, Have you ever gotten any other barrels or bottles on your trips to Kinsey? A friend bought me back a barrel head from the Jack Daniels distillery. It is now a nice stand in my bourbon room. Joe

Joe I am very Lucky to have 4 different Heads I got a couple of yrs ago, one Bourbon Head one that just says Whiskey on the head, one Corn Whiskey Head and my favorite because it is dated 1967 the second yr I worked there and turned 20 a Scotch mash head which the young people had broken into 4 pieces and tossed I found it in the weeds and a friend put it all back together and it now rests safely at my house.

I also have the Barrel dated 1971 Continental Distilling Rye mash that I got for myself and one for Fricky and he is refinishing his and mine and making them into tables lacquring the heads to preserve the writting on them and Lacqurig the whole barrel I will then use it as a table as he is going to Lacqure the head then put a piece of Pexiglass over the top.

Both barrels say Continental Distilling 1971 Rye mash in Black indelible Ink on the head and except for the corn Whiskey Head all my Heads are from the yrs I worked there! The Corn Whiskey one is dated 1980 the last yr they did any distilling. There are many unlabled Bottles sitting there rotting in Warehouses J & R and some in Warehouse S.

Dave Z

Last Night I posted some more pictures on #493 and now I am going to post more of my Memorial day pictures of Kinsey in weeds.

1.Another Abandon Fork lift in Warehouse J

2. & 3. stacks of never used Lolita Liquor Bottles falling over in Warehouse J

4. A Shot up the barrel Elevator in Warehouse J

5. Looking down the Barrel Elevator in J Building--These were designed to also be Explosion proof

6. Warehouse Sign Explosion Proof Warehouse K one of only two good signs left

7. Looking toward the back of the Plant from the two 1/2 million gal tanks.

I have about 10 pictures yet to post from this trip to Kinsey, and I must say I feel very sad about the state of the Plant. The guys have it all locked up again and the weeds are getting so High I most likely will not get in there for a while.

It is a terrible feeling seeing Kinsey That was such a beautiful Plant sitting like this because a person it means nothing to owns it.

Why he did not sell it to be an Industrial park when everything was still working is beyond me and chose to leave it shut it down and abandon it. In 1986 when he owned it everything still had power to it and He just closed it up and walked away.

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

post-1964-14489815600916_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815601177_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981560158_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815602_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815602426_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815602839_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815603239_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815600916_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815601177_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981560158_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815602_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815602426_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815602839_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815603239_thumb.jpg

Here are some more of my Memorial day Kinsey Pictures.

1. 3rd floor of Warehouse Q fire tower warehouse because the building has never dryed out from fire started there Stalagtits grow from sealing.

2. Stalagmites on floor of Q building

3. & 4. Scale setup under tanks in back scale & weigh House across from warehouse #38

5. Stairs behind the 2 tanks

6. Platform above tanks

7. Very Old Time Oil filled Explosion Proof Switch in Scale house, I have one of the two of these in my collection

8. Sign on front of Q Building one of two still in tact left in the Plant.

9. Hole Punched in the thrid floor wall in warehouse Q to put the fire out the water they used to put the fire out never dryed up and so the stalagtits grow from the cement

I will post some more pictures from the roof of this building and fire observation room on the Fire Observation thread soon.

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489815605372_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815605777_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815606166_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815606565_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815606826_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815607084_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815607479_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815607746_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815608137_thumb.jpg

Here are the last pictures I took on Memorial day on my trip through Kinsey. Here are 2 building shots and a shot of the 1/2 million gal tanks I took before leaving the weeds and thorns are taking over again so it will be hard to get in soon but I am hoping to go again this weekend before it gets to bad.

Shot one tanks from back at warehouse K looking down

Shot 2 front side of J warehouse in Sun

Note on shot 3 the stainless piping from warehouse J to Warehouse O the goverment Building many if not most of these lines have been stolen by the many who have destroyed Kinsey.

I wish all of you could have seen these Warehouses back in 1966 they gleemed in the Sun those days and were kept spotless. Everytime I go I still can not believe it has had this done to it.

Mr Neuman would be very mad if he saw this as he loved Kinsey and We were told when i was on the yard gang that we had to keep things as perfect as we could!

Dave Z

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old hickory

America's Most Magnificent bourbon

post-1964-14489815638668_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815639059_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815639319_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I went back to Kinsey in the afternoon with my Buddy Don and we went down to the old Kinsey Bottle house built in the early 1930's to save the last two 1930's Edison style Light bulbs that were in explosion proof covers so the Kids would not get in there and smash them. When we got the covers off they were still perfectly clean inside, even though the second floor has fallen and lots of water come in! Here are a couple of pictures I shot with my old digital camers as did not want to take my good one and maybe end up breaking it doing this, my old one fits in my pocket.

1. One of the two old 200 watt Edison type light bulbs we saved in its explosion proof cover

2. Looking from where the 3 Liquor Lines started toward the front casing room

3. Trap door where bottles and cases came down and where full cases were lifted up

4. Place the second floor has fallen into the first floor and brought machinery down with it and bent the Explosion proof light sideways, I saved the bulb from this one also when this happen also as it was an Edison type one made by GE

5. Old time Doors that go out to the road out front from the casing room

6. Old Oil fill type Explosion proof light switch at double front doors

7. Old windows with bars looking toward Warehouse E and the old 1930's dock behined the building which was not used anymore when I worked there could not get to it. Picture taken in front bottle casing room.

I really hate seeing this happening to the Old Bottle house and it is not because the building was shot but because when those people that got an option to buy the place in 2001 to build a Propane Electric plant they had no real plan to do that just to cut up metal and cash it in till the idea was rejected by the people who live there.

They were burning an old metal shed and caught a tree on fire which partly burned the Bottle house roof and burnt down the office so this past Nov the heavy snow on the roof was to much for the weaken roof and brought it down sadly to my discovery.

Once the plans were rejected for a power plant they just left leaving fork lifts and all kinds of suff having made plenty on scrap metal including tearing down DSP-Pa.-12. The guys who watch the place told me the guy that owns it does not even have a clue what this outfit did when they were saying they wanted to buy Kinsey and they told the townsihp they were fixing all the warehouses up as they stole all the wiring which means their end instead!

My friend the Electrician told me if the explosion proof Switches would have been left alone all you would to have done was put a new Electric scourse going in and they would have worked as they were sealed and still safe. Once they took the covers off and cut them up for scrap and pulled wires here and there it finished that for good!

Poor Kinsey it has had so many rotten things happen to it since Mr Si Neuman died which would not have if he had lived.

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489815640544_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815640932_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981564134_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981564174_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981564228_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815642701_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981564294_thumb.jpg