My Memories of Kinsey Distilling

dave ziegler

Sunday I went to Kinsey for about an hour to get something I needed for my last explosion proof Power strip and took some pictures in O building as people had ripped it open again!

Here they are

1.through 3. old Singer Bottling machines sit in O Building

4. & 5. Barrel filling Equipment and And filler handle

6. A shot of the Tank Platform from different Direction

7. Pipe going out of Window to Bottling house below from Tank platform, note O building had windows the only one of the 14 with windows because of it being mulity purpose with the government offices and tankage and being a pumping area to the Big Bottle house plus barrel warehousing!

8. Name written on Piller Nov 7 1961 Bill Rhoads

9. Second Floor Electric Headers a bit different then the other warehouses as the Stairwell up is different due to government Offices they are on the right side of the door instead of the left like the rest. Also a bit defferent in boxes and setup.

10. Showers in back of Lunch room many of the people who traveled far to work used them before they left to go home

11. Entrance to Government offices Left and lunch room to the right bottom of stairwell

12. O Building Stair Way

13. Looking down from O toward R front

I also posted some pictures from my Memorial day trip to Kinsey on the post before this one #499 on Sunday morning.

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory

America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

post-1964-14489815643561_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815643987_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815644274_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815644549_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815644942_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815645335_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815645766_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981564617_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815646574_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815646855_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815647238_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815647512_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815647776_thumb.jpg

During my time at the WWII Air show I found out something that amazed me. The one Old Vet that had been stationed in Hawaii and when he was there after The Pearl Harbor attack they were running out of food so they asked Dole if they could give the men some fruits to hold them over till they could pay them and they refused completely The old Timer said he never bought any of their stuff to this very day.

The reason I am writting this is to show the difference in Companies! Publicker not only supplied Liquor to the troops but also free of charge too! Also as I have said many times they raised Steers at Kinsey down back and all the cattle that were fed the Mash were then donated to the service men to eat.

Continental Distilling / Publicker Industries was always very Proud to be an American Company and Mr Neuman was very Proud to be the Chairman of an American Company.

There is a railroad Museum in Strasburg Pa on the way to Lancaster Pa

There is a very Old Clock in a tower there that came from the old Market Street Station in Phila.

When the Station was being torn down in 1952 Mr Si Neuman bought the Clock and saved it from being thrown away. He stored it in Warehouse U from 1952 which became the 1966 Bottling House till He died with the hope that someone would want this Historic Clock by donation. It remained there till 1982

I tracked it down and found that around 1982 6 years after He died it was donated to the Rail Museum by Publicker in Mr Neumans name which would Have made him very Happy had he knew it.

Although had he been living he would have kept his name out of it as he believed in giving and not letting anyone Know Publicly which is the way things should be. He believed the reward was in giving not letting everyone know you did!

My friend who was in a high position at Publicker has told me many times that Mr Neuman loved donating to things but did not want to let anyone know he preferred the Joy of the Giving.

Even after His death he was preserving something very special because when he was living He saved this clock and kept it there all those yrs. I remember it well sitting in the warehouse area of the 1966 Bottling house covered over to protect it. It was stored at Linfield at Kinsey for 30 yrs in the Bottling House.

Dave Z

It Seems all the Nicest people drink Old Hickory

America's most magnificent Bourbon

I got some exciting news from Ludy Last night when I called him to see how he was. He told me he was wishing I would call as he has something I would enjoy looking at, his daughter was looking through Old stuff and found an original Auction sale Book from when Kinsey was auctioned off in 1940 to Continental Distilling.

He told me it lists everything from Empty and full bottles of Whiskey to Empty and full aging Barrels of Whiskey! This is an amazing piece of History and I am hoping He will let me take it home and scan the pages for the Sake of History. I would be willing to bet this may be the only exsisting one. He got it from the same person that gve him the Picture That I posted of the plant in 1936.

He forgot all about it till she found it and I can hardly wait to see it. he also told me that his wife was able to come home from the Nursing home in May for the day to enjoy their 69th Aniversary. Once I see this book I will try to get it home and scan the pages and post some of them.

I am amazed that something like this still exsists.

I also through a friend found My Old Friend Harrison ( Shorty ) Tysons wife and talked to her last night She is doing fine and she also said to me when I asked her what Her and Shorty thought Of Kinsey back in the day and she like everyone else said it was a truely wonderful place to work.

She also said that Mr Si Neuman was a wonderful and good man!

I always get excited when I can talk to anyone that knew of Kinsey & Continental back in those years it operated. I have yet to hear anyone who worked there say anything bad about it.

Everytime I think of someone that workked there I try and find out if they are still around and I will continue to do this for the sake of Kinsey and of the History of Distilling In Pa as Continental was clearly the leader in this in Pa!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------

America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Old Hickory America's Finest Bourbon

I now have the book about the Bankruptcy sale of Kinsey on Aug 22nd. 1940 when Continental bought the Plant and there are 6 old rare 1940 Plant pictures in the book plus lists of Equipment and also lists of Brands registered! There is to much to post all of it 66 pages but I will post the most interesting ones on here.

The Book states that the warehouses under Jacob G Kinsey have 55,000 barrels of Whiskey in storage aging and also a Sharpless Evaporating Plant for manufacture of Cattle Feed as a by Product! Plus 1,590 cases of Bottled Whiskey, Cordials and Brandy.

This is an amazing Book to be able to copy and read and look at I am very sure it is the only one that exsists anymore.

I am going to scan all the pictures and some pages of Equipment and also Trade brands available back then!

There is a great picture of some tanks in the back first floor room of the still in the back of the picture is a door way if you could walk through that door way it led to the time clock we rang out at and the Wooden Mash tanks of which I posted pictures a long time back.

I promised Ludy I would get this back to him in a week or so, I am going to copy every page on the big copier at work and just scan the most important ones to post here as the book has 66 pages!

I will post first thing tomorrow Morning as tonight I will scan and and resize the pictures!

Dave Z

---------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory

Alright here are some of the Pages of information and the pictures from the Aug 22nd 1940 sale of Kinsey Distillery to Continental Distilling Corp from the old book Ludy has.

Here we go

1. Front of Booklet states Bankruptcy Sale of Kinsey Distillery Aug 22nd 1940

2. Inside of cover with Ludys name on it

3. Information about the sale

4. The Original areial Picture taken by Jacob G Kinsey in 1936 Warehouse H was being built in this picture it is as of 1940 complete and holds 20,349 barrels of Whiskey in the information page

5. Second floor in 1940 of the Old Kinsey Bottle House which was used by Continental after they bought the plant to make all our Liquors states and shows rectifying area

6. First floor of Old Kinsey Bottle House showing Mr Kinsey's Bottling Line in 1940

7.First floor tanks in Old Dsp-Pa.-12 Still, at the back of the picture is a door that leads to where we rang out and where the Big Wood Mash tanks picture I put on here were

8. Front Picture of the Plant with all the front buildings in great shape in 1940 shows Silos the building that conected them to the Dryer Building and the grain processing building connected to the Still, Boiler room with stack and DSP-Pa-12 with Cistran tank on top says Kinsey Distillery

9. Inside the Grain dryer Building

10. Lists warehouses and how many Barrels they hold noting that warehouse H holds 20,349 barrels

The next pictures state what is for sale, full Barrels Cases of Whiskey what their Proofs are and how many also

trade brands for sale and other stuff such as Equipment.

What a sad thing that after starting up in Late 1933 at 75 yrs old it ended like this for Mr Kinsey but thankfully Continental Bought it and kept it going till 1986. The pictures in this book I posted are the only ones there are that I know of and sure brought back memories of the inside of Old Dsp-Pa-12 to me.

These are one of a kind which will be able to be seen by many because of Ludys kindness in loaning me this one of a kind rare booklet

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

post-1964-14489815658086_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815658311_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815658519_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981565875_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815659122_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815659482_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815659839_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815660206_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815660574_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815660834_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815661034_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815661235_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815661467_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815661676_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815661906_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815662107_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981566231_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815662516_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815662716_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815662925_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815663141_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815663354_thumb.jpg

I got some real good news yesterday about the old book I have pictures of on the page #504 just before this writting.

I went to a small printer in the town where I work and he has done many things with old stuff and told me he can very carefully take out the two staples and double side print the pages to the same size to create a couple of Exact copies of it.

This means I can preserve all the History in this Auction book and have my own copy after I give it back to Ludy.

I am going to have a copy made for the Historic Society in Limerick. And that means many will be able to see this Historic Auction Book. I never relised how many Brands Jacob G Kinsey had the rights to I only posted a couple of pages there were many more. Also I was surprised at how much whiskey was there when he went Bankrupe.

And the 6 Pictures of the Plant were a great thing for History. Also It documents how many barrels each of the Old Wood and Brick Warehouses Kinsey Built held. It states there were 55,000 Barrels of Whiskey there!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------

Join The Swing To Kinsey

Dave, thanks for posting the various pages from the auction booklet. I find it amazing that there were so many different registered trade names associated with Kinsey and so many different products - Brandy, Sherry, Gin, Rum, Creme de Menthe.

Doug

Dave, you and Jim Butler are doing a wonderful thing here: creating and archiving for posterity the historic memory of an industrial giant. It is impossible for each of us to absorb the volume of information and knowledge you possess of Kinsey and Continental by its mere relation to us. But, with the compilation of all these threads, pictures, stories and anecdotes, you are creating a living history of a long-dead distillery. That is no small feat, and I am awed by its ever-growing embodiment.

Bravo, Dave.:toast:

Dave, you and Jim Butler are doing a wonderful thing here: creating and archiving for posterity the historic memory of an industrial giant. It is impossible for each of us to absorb the volume of information and knowledge you possess of Kinsey and Continental by its mere relation to us. But, with the compilation of all these threads, pictures, stories and anecdotes, you are creating a living history of a long-dead distillery. That is no small feat, and I am awed by its ever-growing embodiment.

Bravo, Dave.:toast:

Many thanks TN Bourbon for your Kind words, the History of The Company is a passion for me. For many years there was nothing said about Kinsey / Publicker / Continental Distilling and I most enjoy writing about Them.

Also finding great pictures Of Kinsey to give everyone an Idea of what it looked like back in the day.

I wanted more then anything to give a right Picture of How it was to Work for Publicker Industries as there was not much said in positive and somehow I keep thinking of things and finding things.

It is alot of work but it is a work of Love for me to talk about and when someone like you says they enjoy it, makes it all so worthwhile as now Kinsey and Continental will live on through this History being placed here.

And when it comes Distilling Spirirts in pa Jacob G Kinsey and Si Neuman of Continental Distilling were Giants .

Publicker Industries was the Most Prolithic Distiller for many Yrs.

Again Thanks for the Kind words they keep me seaching for long lost information & Pictures.

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------

America's most magnificent Bourbon

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday afternoon I took what most likely will be my last trip into Kinsey till fall when the weeds go away! Everything thankfully is locked because Kids are out of school and love to smash things there. Looking at her I got very sad in my Heart to see the Place in such ruin.

Picture 2 Weeds have covered the whole 1966 Bottle house and anything that gets in there way. Kids have wriitten rotten things on the buildings and the roofs of the Explosion Proof warehouses are leaking rain because of people sealing the metal edging on them.

The old buildings out front are covered with Poison Ivy and trees are growing in front of the Plant Maintiance barn. It is heart breaking for me and I think what would Shorty and Lou and Frank think if they were living and saw that as they worked all their Lives there very happily.

I also think what would Dicky think seeing his place he worked so hard on the old trucks and cars falling apart, and Charlie seeing his place he kept his buggy falling down!

Here are a couple of Pictures I took of the Plant and also of the Old Kinsey Bottle house with a foot of water laying on the floor as the second floor has fallen and rain pours in so sadly!

Also 3 of the last Pictures are of the Old Dsp-Pa.-10 Rye Barn still, platforms slowly falling down too.

Here are the pictures some of the plant and the weeds and many at the end of the Old Jacob G Kinsey Bottle house from the early 1930's with a foot of water on the floor a couple of shots in the old power control room an old Blender for whiskey like Ludy used to use.

The Anitonic and Catonic tanks. When I worked there the Old Bottle house was like a jewel it was in mint condition and well cared for and was used as I have said many times right up till just before 1980. All My Peanut Liquor was made there and all Continental Liquors were done there and many for other Companies by contract too!

To see it in such ruin breaks my Heart as I remember Kinsey Distillery!

Heres another one of our Motto's Long forgotten!

"There's No Better Bourbon Old Hickory Straight Bourbon Whiskey"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------------------

post-1964-14489815704617_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981570502_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815705431_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981570578_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815706251_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815706666_thumb.jpg

post-1964-1448981570706_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815707331_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815707756_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815708023_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815708431_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815708816_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815709217_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815709621_thumb.jpg

post-1964-14489815709877_thumb.jpg

Dave, it is similar to a shipwreck....think of the Titanic slowly rusting away.... or a vessel with a personal family connection to me, the U.S.S. Arizona memorial. Eventually nature will take over completely and everthing returned to its natural state. It is the way of all things. Your photos are an important historical record.

or a vessel with a personal family connection to me, the U.S.S. Arizona memorial.

I have visited the Arizona. A very sad place, indeed.

Joe :usflag:

Dave, it is similar to a shipwreck....think of the Titanic slowly rusting away.... or a vessel with a personal family connection to me, the U.S.S. Arizona memorial. Eventually nature will take over completely and everthing returned to its natural state. It is the way of all things. Your photos are an important historical record.

It is so dam hard to see Kinsey this way left to rot because the wrong person bought the place to just let it rot and write it off I guess! I just wish I had more pictures of the Place like the ones from the Sale brochure from 1940 so everyone could see how these things looked back in the day and when I worked there everything was still in good shape.

But look a page back from last nights post pictures to the one from the sale and the Old Bottle house looks so good and because fools caught it on fire back in 2002 burning a steel shed down and the fire got into the trees and the roof caught fire. And yet the building was so strong the second floor did not come down till 6 yrs later because to much snow laid on it and brought it down this winter. I walked around up there till last spring.

And in talking to my friends who watch the place I found out why the Kinsey Barn down by the river fell down I wondered why as had a new slate roof on it back in the early 1980's well it seems that someone went in there and cut the big wood beeams out and took them and when snow laid on it brought down too.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last Night I stopped to visit Ludy and gave him the original Kinsey Auction book back. We talked about the old days there and he talked about How good a place it was to work at.

I also asked him about the Picture I posted of the Old Bottle Line in the Old Kinsey Bottle were even then were 3 lines bottling all the products listed in the Auction Book.

I intend to write down as many as I can from my copies of the Book List of Kinsey Brands for everyone to see.

During WWII He said the place was very Busy cranking out Alcohol for the War and feeding and raising as many Steers as they could feeding them the Mash.

I will start tonight writing the Kinsey trade brand names what the Spirit was and Proof if shown. I was amazed at how many trade names Mr Kinsey had considering He was 75 yrs old when he reopened the plant in Late 1933.

Anything I can find out about Kinsey and Continental will be noted whenever I find it. Ludy said it was really something when Continental Distilling started building all the Explosion Prrof Warehouses early 1940's after they bought the Plant. And how good his job was all those yrs He worked there.

Dave Z

------------------------------------------------------------

It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory America's

Most Magnificent Bourbon

Well I am finally at Home and relaxing and I am now going to list many of the trade names that were listed in the Auction book as belonging to Mr Jacob G Kinsey.

1. Phil Penn Whiskey

2. Grand Slam Whiskey

3. Barton Wine

4. Barton Brandy

5. Lone Eagle Whiskey

6. Royal Dixie Whiskey

7. Margate Abbey Gin

8. Mandy Lee Wine

9. Sonora Club Whiskey

10. Belle of Florida Whiskey

11. Pop Corn Whiskey

12. Georgia Cracker Whiskey

13. Poincianna Sherry Wine

14. Marimore Whiskey

15. Navarre Brandy

16. Sun Blest Wines

17. San Mateo Rum

18. Beacon Hill Whiskey

19. Evangeline Wine

20. Marie Antoinette Cordials

21. Golden Jubilee Wine

22. Rochambeau Brandy

23. Coeur de Lion Brandy

24. G. O. Blake's Whiskey

25. Spellmans Coronation Whiskey

26. Honey Bee Creme de Menthe

27. Betsy Ross Wine

Here are some of the bottles of Whiskey that were auctioned off - 240 Pts. Old Montgomery Brand Penna Straight Rye Whiskey 86 proof 3yrs old

84 4/5 qts Straight Californnia Fruit Brandy Slivovitz 90 proof

120 qts G.O. Blakes Blended Whiskey 86 proof

216 Pints Phil-Penn Pennsylvania Straight Rye Whiskey 90 proof 3 yrs old

Milford club Blended Whiskey 90 proof 39 qts. Our Private stock Penna Straight Rye Whiskey 86 proof 30 months old

Dolan's Bar Special Penna Straight Rye 85 proof 35 months old

225 pints of Barton Blackberry Liquor 60 proof

and there are so many more brands and types it is hard to believe and all the Brands are listed as gotten in the yr 1934!

Borrowing this book and havng these copies made has really paid off in many interesting things and we must keep in mind that Mr Kinsey was going on 76 yrs old 1934 when he got these trade brands and I have not ever heard of most of them. Also there are many Barrels listed too!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

One of the things that seems hardest to believe is that there is vertualy none of our Whiskey anywhere. When I worked there on site was at least 10 million of the original 14 million gals of Aging whiskey.

I can't tell you how good it used to smell walking in those old Explosion proof warehouses back then. Another thing that seems wierd is that around here where our stuff sold so good you do not find anyone having any. My best guess is One it was so dam good it has all been drank up around here and two the reason you don't find any old bottles is we were so big no one ever even dreamed that they would go out of bussiness.

And so no one saved any of the Old Bottles for collecting!

The One thing I do know is everyone who worked there that drank bought and drank the products made where they worked. One and first of all because they were great and two for the sake of our good jobs.

Ludy was talking the other day about checking proofs in barrels with his old Thief and wishing I could find an old one over there for him but I think most likely they went for scrap as they were solid copper when the people in there claiming they were fixing the place were stealing everything they could!

I most likely will not get there for a bit with all the weeds and Poison Ivy but once fall comes back I will return as I always do to look take pictures and remember.

I will also continue Looking for more Old Hickory to drink but it is very unlikely I will find anymore. I am going to call Ludy and see what other things I can find out about the Place again this week. In Sept Ludy will be 91.

I just wish everyone here could have seen the Place back in the day. Also I am a bit worried as I have not heard from my friend yet who was a high position person in the Company so I am guessing he has not made it to Pa from Ca yet. I just have to wait to hear from him as he has my Phone number.

And finally later this week I hope to post some more Letterhead from the Company I have from the last days of Kinsey!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I found something on Line for sale I have never seen before our Glen Mavis Blended Scotch a quart Bottle. Other then my case of empty Labeled bottles of them I have not seen a bottle of this in 25+ yrs. It is full and I bought it for my collection.

I think it is one of the very last ones or possibley one of the very first imported and bottled in Linfield as instead of having Glen Mavis Distillers LTD Phila it says on the back Label Glen Mavis Distillers Greenwich CT which was where Our Continental Distilling Corporate Headquarters was! All the ones I have say imported by Glen Mavis Distillers LTD Phila.

Publicker Corporate Headquarters was always in Phila making them two seperately operated companies owned by Publicker and both with Mr Neuman as Chairman.

I have not decided if I will open it but think I will just put it with my special ones in my collection and leave it sealed. I have never seen any Glen Mavis all these years and by Luck when I typed it in there it was and I was able to buy it.

Here are some more things from the 1940 Auction book for Kinsey that were for sale at the Auction.

1. 12 Wood Fermenting tubs 2" wood staves, iron hooped with iron coils, inside, capacity each 8,935 1/2 gallons 55 1/2 gal per inch Nos. 1 to 12

( thought I remembered 12 of these being the number. Number one being filled wiith fish in the days I worked there)

2. Lot # 238 1 steel Mash tub No1 Capacity 10,072 gal covered 2" copper coils inside, equiped with agitator driven by Howell 60 H.P. Red Band Self starting Induction Motor.

3. Lot# 236 1 Copper Redoubling Still NO. 1 Capacity 6,750 Gal 2 sections with 3 coils 2 release valves on top 3 gate valves on side and 2 outlet valves underneath with Taylor thermometer and 2 glass gauges

4. Lot # 235 1 steel Malt Mixer NO.1 capacity 1,822 gal equiped with agitator driven by Howell 5 hp. Red Band Motor

5. Lot #234 1 copper Low wine tank NO.1 covered capacity 328 gal 7.81 gal per inch with two visible flow boxes 1 valve box with 9 asst. valves and intermediate copper pipe.

I most likely will never be able to find out the total out put per day that the Old Dsp- Pa-12 could do but these tank capacities give you an Idea of what Mr Kinsey had going when Continental Distilling bought the whole Plant in 1940 at auction.

There are many things in this auction book, these are just a few of the things that were in the #12 when Continental bought the whole plant. I am very thankful Ludy found this book and let me borrow it to record these things for History.

There will be more posted.

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey

For Unhurried Moments

I will be Posting more Information like the stuff on the page before this one #516 later this week of things that were included in the 1940 Kinsey Auction Book. I thought the amount of gallons the Fermenters on the page before this is interesting I wonder if there is any way with those amounts to get an Idea what the amount that could be Distilled at Kinsey was?

I saw in reading the Book my Mind is still working as i was sure there were 12 fermenters and the Book states that.

Dave Z

-----===========------------===========

A very interesting thing came to me from data that I want to share, when Kinsey Closed forever in 1986 it had operated 94 Years. In the early 1950's when Jacob G Kinsey Died he died at age 94.

And Publicker which went on to buy a Flash light company and other things such as American cryogas then in the Late 1990's changing their Name to Publicard went off the stock market and came to their end with only the board left as employees in fall 2007, Publicker was Founded by Harry Publicker in 1913 it had just turned 94 years old with the new company name Publicard in 2007 even though just a small tiny company after all the mistakes made after Mr Neuman died back in 1976.

A very Weird thing is that each lasted only 94 years first Mr kinsey Then Kinsey Distillery and then Publicker / Publicard. And all at exactly 94 yrs. I was amazed when I did the math on Publicker as I knew for a long time about 94 yrs for Mr Kinsey and the Kinsey Plant.

Fact can sure be stranger then Fiction.

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------------

Inver House Scotch Soft As A Kiss

Just for fun I have tried to find various "94" meanings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/94_(number)

"The 94th United States Congress met from January 1975 - January 1977 during the President Gerald Ford’s administration."

http://www.topverses.com/?book=19&chapter=94&pg=1

Psalms....hmm, do any apply to Kinsey / Publicker?

http://www.muslimaccess.com/quraan/arabic/094.asp

Koran - Surah 94

Ash Sharh

Surah 94. Solace, Consolation, Relief

Bhagavad Gita 9.4

"By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded. All beings are in Me, but I am not in them."

http://www.areopagus.net/grkelements.htm

Plutonium

Symbol: Pu

Atomic Number: 94

After the planet Pluto and the Latin god of the Underworld (Hades in Greek).

http://www.virtuescience.com/94.html

The Number 94

Elijah Craig Bourbon whisky 94 proof 12 yrs 750 ml

Jack Daniel's Whiskey Single Barrel 94 Proof

Vintage Bourbon Kentucky Bourbon 23 Years Old 94 Proof

Vintage Rye Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey 21 Years Old 94 Proof

Vintage Rye Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey 23 Years Old 94 Proof

Dave, I am sure the answer lies buried somewhere above!

Late Yesterday afternoon I got the Vintage Bottle of Glen Mavis Scotch I bought on Line last week on Looking at the Bottom for yr date it is one of the very last to ever be Bottled in Linfield, Pa at Kinsey!

I thought it most likely was because the Back label Says Glen mavis Distillers Greenwich CT which was Continental Distillings Headquarters back in the day and since they were going out of the Liquor Bussiness they had started making universal Case Boxes you could stick the Label on a spot on the case to show what product was in it.

Those cardboard Case Boxes of Which I have about 3 Say Instead of Continental Distilling " Publicker Distillers". This is the only Bottle of this product I have ever seen that Has greenwich on it all the Labeled ones I have in a case and Trade Show ones have Glen Mavis Distillers Phila Pa.

Many things happened in those last days including a bad batch of Governors Club Blended Whiskey I have letters I got from the Plant asking why their Bottle smells weird! Alot of sad things Happened after Mr Neuman died and the Family did not control the company any more.

I also found many Letters pleading for more product as they were out of something and could not get it anymore, them not yet knowing the Company was gone as far as Drinking Liquor.

Some of The letters Ask for Caffe Lolita others for Old Hickory and Many other brands. It is very hard to find Old Continental Distilling Bottles even though we were the Biggest of all Distillers back then. I think becausee of the Fact we were so big no one ever thought our Bottles would be collectable. Many times I find lots of smaller Distillers Old Bottles but you would think there would be tons of ours here in pa but it seems not!

Dave Z

1. 12 Wood Fermenting tubs 2" wood staves, iron hooped with iron coils, inside, capacity each 8,935 1/2 gallons 55 1/2 gal per inch Nos. 1 to 12

I most likely will never be able to find out the total out put per day that the Old Dsp- Pa-12 could do but these tank capacities give you an Idea of what Mr Kinsey had going when Continental Distilling bought the whole Plant in 1940 at auction.

Dave, I can give you an idea of the throughput of the distillery based on the auction description that you have provided and making a few assumptions that would have been appropriate for alcohol production in the 1930's ...

It seems like the batch size was probably 250 bushels. The maximum output at 3 day fermentations and 365 day operations would have been about 1,800,000 proof gallons per year. More likely, they operated half 3 and half 4 day fermentations so they could do two turns of the fermenters per week ... (and not work on Sundays ... very typical) ... with a moderate summer shutdown thrown in as well. My guess is that the annual throughput was about 1,500,000 proof gallons per year ...that's about enough to support 750,000 cases per year of sales.

Thanks very much for that information Bourbon Geek I, not having ever seen the DSP#12 operating I really was wondering and that is what it must have been through your Knowledge of Distilling.

And that is why in 1951 the last year that I found the Last mash bills from in the plant that Continental Distilling shut it down. They could do so many times more in Phila with the Giant DSP-PA-#1 still down there. From what I have been told by people who knew they had the rights to make more Alcohol Drinking and Industrial then anyone at that time due to a License Harry Publicker had gotten before Prohibition in 1913.

I sure am thankful for you solving this mystery for me for the sake of History. There are so many things like this I do not know and most of the people that worked there then are gone so I am so Glad that Ludy lent me the book and for your Help in this matter. So for that period of time I guess MR Kinsey was doing fairly good. And Continental ran It all through the war yrs after they bought the place in 1940 and up till Spring of 1951 the last Mash Bills to found.

The Mash bills had them running 3 batchs a day and only on week days like you said! I have a set framed and I gave a set to the Historic Society here and I have maybe 2 or three more sets I found them in Papers that Kids had trashed there and quickly saved them for History. They only went to spring 1951 which is When Ludy remembers them shutting Dsp-Pa. 12 down.

Thanks So Much Dave ( Bourbon Geek )

Dave Z

Today is going to be a day I have been waiting for as Fricky is bringing my complete 50 gal restored Continental Distilling Rye Mash barrel down to my house. I will take pictures and post them, On its top Head it says Continental Distilling - DSP-Pa. #1 Phila, Rye Mash Whiskey and the date of 1971 the last year I worked there.

He has sanded it completly and put lot of gloss Varnish on it including sealing the Writting on the Head with 4 coats and Painted the hoops Gloss Black both head Hoops are secured to each Stave by Piramid screws and mid hoops by spaced screws also and he has sent me a picture before and after. His and Mine are most likely the last and only Barrels to be preserved this way from Contiental and who knows what will happen to the remianing 40 or so in warehouse C.

For all I know I may have even rolled this barrel when it was full back in 1971 another reason it is so special to me. Plus this will sit in my living room and be kept by me till I am gone for History. It also adds to my amazing Collection of Publicker / Continental / Kinsey Stuff which will go to a Museuim when I am gone!

I have been at this saving of these things so long I have lost track and I hope to save some other stuff to. I have not been to the Plant for 4 or 5 weeks now due to weeds and rain and hope sometime soon to take another walk around Kinsey.

Just knowing That Fricky and I have two of the Barrels saved for History is exciting as most times People bought them to use as water barrels or cut them in half for flower planters but these two will continue the History of Kinsey for many long years.

Fricky has done an amazing job on them and they are as solid as they can be with all the staves fast to the hoops on both ends.

I also now have a complete Explosion Proof Sealing light from the plant with the green metal

shade from Dickies area he worked at mounted on it in his memory. I got each part one at a time and then put them together this summer.

My Next project is to sit down and put as much letter head from the Company I can in binders for History as I have stuff everywhere and also to put my sets of Tax Strips in something to keep them clean.

I wish everyone of you could see the old place even though ruined it still is an awesome big place. And if only you could have seen it in operation!

Dave Z

-------------------------------------------------------------

Next project is to sit down and put as much letter head from the Company I can in binders for History as I have stuff everywhere and also to put my sets of Tax Strips in something to keep them clean.