'07 Sampler

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, so I understand this may be early to start talking about it, but I am curious when people plan on getting to Bardstown for the Sampler this year?

I am planning to attend this year for the first time, my first trip to Kentucky in general, and I am trying to decide in the next week or two which day to fly in? Obviously I want to fit in as much as possible, but am not going to kid myself into believing I can do all the tours and everything in a 3 or 4 day trip. I'd be happy probably with 2 tours and I don't think I need to say that Buffalo Trace is on the top of the list. I am going more to meet the people than anything, some of which I was fortunate enough to meet last summer at Jim's party.

So if I get there Wednesday will I be drinking alone at the Gazebo that night?

Don't know, but we'll join ya Thursday nite.

Joe :usflag: and Fricky

OK, so I understand this may be early to start talking about it, but I am curious when people plan on getting to Bardstown for the Sampler this year?

Christian,

Several arrive on Thursday and the majority are there in full force by Friday-Sunday.

Bettye Jo

Last year there was a small gathering at the Gazebo on Wed. night. It was actualy quite a good time due to the smaller (<12) number of people that night.

Cheers,

It's 10 degrees here right down and probably won't go above 20 tomorrow, making this a perfect time to talk about Bardstown in the Spring.

OK, I am booked to arrive at the General Nelson Wednesday the 25th.

• 2 weeks later...

I drive there and usually spend Thurs night in Lexington. I'm at the Nelson until Monday though. See ya's there.

When exactly does the sampler start this year?

Thomas

Saturday, April 28 :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jim has a link to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival on the front page of Straightbourbon.com...You can get there by clicking on the words Straightbourbon.com at the top of this page :grin: :grin:

Here's a pdf file with what's on the event's page (KBF)

Bettye Jo

Kentucky Bourbon Festival.pdf

I just booked my room at the General Nelson for Thur/Fri/Sat. I will be driving this trip. Val plans to join me on the Fri/Sat nights.

Last year we did a catered dinner for the Friday night there at the Nelson's banquet room. The caterer did a good job and it was enjoyed by all as I recall. If there's sufficient interest this year, let's do it again.

Randy

I just booked my room at the General Nelson for Thur/Fri/Sat. I will be driving this trip. Val plans to join me on the Fri/Sat nights.

Last year we did a catered dinner for the Friday night there at the Nelson's banquet room. The caterer did a good job and it was enjoyed by all as I recall. If there's sufficient interest this year, let's do it again.

Randy

I would be in for that Randy.

I will joining all of my fellow SB.com'ers for the Sampler. I hope to bring one of my boys again. It should be a fun time.

Randy, the catered dinner was very good last year and we should try it again this year.....count me and son .

I'm booked, as best I remember (guess I'd better call and double-check/confirm) Friday and Saturday nights, though I may be a late arrival Friday (not sure I can leave school early yet).

...Last year we did a catered dinner for the Friday night there at the Nelson's banquet room. The caterer did a good job and it was enjoyed by all as I recall. If there's sufficient interest this year, let's do it again.

Randy

The dinner was a highlight, Randy -- so, if I make it up in time, that sounds good again.

Randy,

Bourbon Joe and I enjoyed last year's dinner and would be happy to attend this year's.

Doug

I just logged on with the specific purpose of asking about this dinner. Last years was a lot of fun. Count me in again this year. I will check with my compatriots to see if they will be there, but I'm confident they will.

Randy, I'm in for the feast...

...and some Bourbon too, if anybody should just happen to bring some along....Heeeheeeeee!!!!!!!!

Ed, Leslie and I are planning on running the KY Derby half-marathon on Saturday morning. I can't speak for Ed and Patty, but Leslie and I won't be in Bardstown until Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately that leaves us out of the dinner this year:(

I am going to pass since I'll have seen many people in Chicago in April. I would like to do it all, but cannot. I hope to be at KBF in the fall, however.

Gary

Just VERIFIED my reservations at the GN for friday and saturday nights and booked my flights coming in Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday. I'm renting a full size car so anyone flying in around 04:10pm on Friday so if anyone needs a lift to Bardstown (via a quick stop at Liquor Barn on Fern Valley) I have seating for three. Send me a PM if you need transportation... Hertz is requesting I return the car by 10am on Sunday, yeah RIGHT...

Troyce and I missed last years dinner unfortunately, but please count us in for this years! Randy, please let me know if you need any help organizing. I'd be happy to help.

Cheers!

JOE

Thanks for the offer Joe. I might take you up on that.

I just spoke with Barbara Brown, proprietor of the General Nelson, and reserved the banquet room for Friday night. We plan to use the same caterer as last year's dinner and probably go with a similar menu including prime rib, etc. Last year, Ken Weber graciously accepted an offer to come and talk about the BT Antique Collection during the dinner. He also brought some "samples" to share at the Gazebo table later that night. Thanks again Ken. I'd like to see if we could get a speaker this year too. Any suggestions for a possible speaker are most welcome.

Last year, Gary Gilman played mixologist/bartender and made up several different batches of Manhattans. Barbara set us up with glasses, ice, a bar, etc and it was fun. Someone also brought a small keg of a special beer. Maybe this year, we'll try to find someone to make the ultimate Old Fashioned?

I will be looking for definitive headcounts for the dinner the second week in April.

PS There is already a waiting list for the GN during the Fest. But that is normal.

Randy

Randy,

I'm sure SmokinJoe could also be persuaded to give an in depth talk on the finesse and subtle quality of his favorite pour,Bourbon Supreme. He could explain how to actually acquire a taste and appreciation for this fine spirit and, if we are all so lucky, be convinced to sell some of the case and ahalf he has bunkered.

• 1 month later...

OK it is official, I purchased airfare tonight! :grin: :grin:

So to celebrate what will be my first trip to mecca I had a nice pour of Stagg, I must admit at this point I think I prefer Handy but no matter what this is always an excellent drink!

I digress. I actually moved up the trip even earlier than what I planned. Arrive Tuesday night late and will be staying the night in Louisville (hopefully downtown). I'll be renting a car and driving down to Bardstown sometime Wednesday, likely mid-afternoon, staying at the GN Wed, Thu, Fri and Saturday.

Can't wait to see the few folks I have met and meet the many I have not!! :cool:

This brochure was sent to me last week :grin:

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489812909252_thumb.jpg

post-20-14489812909445_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.