YMMV: Where to you veer off from the conventional wisdom?

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It has been my belief since assaying the Michter's that it is the same whiskey as the Saz 18.

Yeah, I've seen that posted here (could've been from you). In fact, right before the Michter's Rye was polished off, a friend did a blind test for me. I forget the exact results, but the first guess for the Michter's was thinking it was either Saz18 or Van Winkle 13yo Rye.

Gotta appreciate the blind test...

-Lear

As for the young Saz, don't assume it's the same as the older one (take the fact that you like one and not the other as evidence) -- if BT distilled the 18yo, it was during UDV days when they were doing bulk/custom for other labels, later buying it back.

Thanks for educating me, Tim! I´m sure this has been discussed at some stage, but some of the comings and goings with the origin of and purpose for some whiskeys just makes me dizzy!

I´m perfectly aware that I´ve only had one bottle of a whiskey that have a potential for big change each year a new vintage comes out. Once bitten, twice shy, perhaps? Ken´s negative comments might have played a big part, as well.

I have always avoided it like the plague.

Tim

I know that we are supposed to be talking about whiskey we don´t like, in this thread. The opportunity to plug JB rye is one that I can´t resist, though.

Not only is it good. I find to be highly individual, as well. I´m a bit curious as to why you have "avoided it like the plague". Does it have such a bad image in the US?

I know that we are supposed to be talking about whiskey we don´t like, in this thread. The opportunity to plug JB rye is one that I can´t resist, though.

Not only is it good. I find to be highly individual, as well. I´m a bit curious as to why you have "avoided it like the plague". Does it have such a bad image in the US?

Yes, it is cheap and it is Beam, two things that have never worked together well, for me. Also, it is only 80-proof, and I generally try to maintain a 90-proof floor on my purchases.

Tim

Yes, it is cheap and it is Beam, two things that have never worked together well, for me. Also, it is only 80-proof, and I generally try to maintain a 90-proof floor on my purchases.

Tim

I agree that the 80 proof is a minus. It´s still worth a try, I think. Especially i if it comes with a low price. You could always use it for cooking or whatever, if you don´t enjoy it. :)

Also, if I remember right, it has received the thumbs up from both Jim Murray and Michael Jackson, so it can´t be that bad.

Ouch! I went to the ABc, yesterday evening, and the JB Rye is up to $14.49! The last time I remember looking at it, it seems like it was $10.99. Its not cheap, anymore. :smiley_acbt:

I didn't buy it.

Tim

One brand much trumpeted that I didn't care for is VOB BIB/100 proof. It didn't find it necessarily undrinkable and the price isn't bad, it just didn't have much flavor to it. Another one I haven't had much luck adapting to for similar reasons is Dickel #12. It may very well be my taste buds but neither of these 2 have given me cause to repurchase them!

Thomas

The one that comes to mind is the 2005 Spring release GTS. I tried hard to like this, I really did. I had three bottles of it. Sometimes, if the stars were in just the right places, it was wonderful. Other times, well, not so good. Burn. Add enough water to avoid the burn and it was just ordinary. The quarter bottle of the 2006 release I had back home was wonderful all the way through. I can't wait to get back home to drink the rest of it. I couldn't bring it home to Japan because it was HASMAT.

Ed

I'll throw a couple out there. For one, I found the Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve pretty underwhelming. Not bad, certainly, but for the money, I expected a lot more oomph. I thought it had a thin mouthfeel, and a not-very-complex flavor. But about the same time that I had it, I tried the Classic. Phenomenal, I thought. Agreed with all the positive buzz. Only wished I had bought a case, as I found it in a little town in Texas that was well stocked with Louisville bottles.

And a couple of weeks ago, I finished a bottle of Weller 12. I had been holding out for a Louisville bottle, until Tim informed me that there's no such thing. D'OH! Well it's not easy to find in NYC, but I came across a bottle, picked it up, and found the finish unpleasant. The nose is easily one of the best ever. But even at 90 proof, the finish was rough to me. Now I had an open bottle of Frankfort Centennial and side-by-side, there was no contest. At twice the price, I guess the Centennial should be better, but what was most interesting was that at 100 proof, it lacked the unpleasant bite of the 12.

Could be I'm just trending toward younger whiskies these days. I also prefer the old bottles of Wild Turkey 8 yr to the Russell's Reserve.

-Mike

I remember hearing many good things about Basil Hayden's. This stuff, however, was pushing 50 bucks! So every time I made a run to my local hooch I would tell myself, "next month." When I finally came up with the funds to purchase my first bottle, I excitedly brought it home and.... well... it was a bit of a let down. A quality Bourbon no doubt, but just way too smooth for my taste. I now give it to my girlfriend to keep her in the spirit (my collection keeps getting bigger and, so far she hasn't made any objections). I would, by no means, dissuade anyone from looking into this whiskey but... BH is an apparantly quality Bourbon that... I just can't do!

I remember hearing many good things about Basil Hayden's. .... A quality Bourbon no doubt, but just way too smooth for my taste.

Yes, a few "quality" bourbons are so bland that they have occasionally been given the moniker "brown vodka". Basil Hayden's is one of them.

Tim

An interesting, confessional thread.

Overall, I say, Vive la difference.

Now I understand, Tim, why you gave me those old bottles of VOB BIB. Thanks again.

Here's my perhaps surprising confession. I'm not that nuts about Stagg. I "get" it and I don't dislike it--I have several bottles--but it's not a favorite, as I know it is for many.

I'm also another one who likes Woodford Reserve a lot.

Well, Chuck, I like Basil Hayden. It's not my everyday pour but, to me, its a perfect summertime sippin' whiskey.

...Now I understand, Tim, why you gave me those old bottles of VOB BIB...

Truly, Chuck, it was mostly because I know you love them:grin:. Want some more?:lol:

I don't like Four Roses Small Batch and just barely can drink the single barrel. I wan't to like them....I just don't.

Woodford Reserve - tastes average to me

ER17 - good, but not worth it compared to ER10SB

OF B-Day Bourbon (2006) - OK but too much alcohol taste to me

Blanton's and Bakers - tried these in 50ml bottles and found no reason to buy them again at their price points

Jay

Maker's Mark and Macallan are two brands I get a lot of grief for not liking. Neither really blew me away through many experiences, just too bland for my taste. That being said, Macallan Fine oak is NTB.

I never could understand Basil Hayden, I like KC,Bakers,Bookers.

If I were gonna pick between Basil Hayden and JB Black at the same low

price Black is my choice.

FR Small Batch is a question for me too, I would happily buy the Single FR.

In either case of these bourbons, I would drink them and enjoy if they were

the last bottles of bourbons left around me.

After 3 to 5 drinks they are all good bourbon to me.

Koji

Interesting. Two persons who give FR small batch the thumbs down.

This is a bourbon I´ve been looking for eagerly but not yet managed to track down. I would be really interested to hear why it fell short of your expectations.

AAA 10 year, never got what the big deal is. I like regular AA bottlings better.

Re AAA 10 year, the answer is (IMO), it used to be better.

Gary

I have a real oddball dislike: WT Rye. It's really not that there's anything particularly offensive with it, but for ryes I think my tastebuds are programmed to expect more age. I guess Saz 18 and VWFR 13yo have spoiled my appreciation for the young ones.

I've also never "gotten it" with Woodford Reserve...that's definitely one I veer away from.

This thread is the only time I remember seeing anything negative about Four Roses. FR SB is one of my favorites and I really enjoy their other products. Another of my favorites that gets a lot of bad press here is EC 18yo SB.

Since the thread is about what we don't like I'd better get to the subject. At KBF gala last year is the only time I've ever tasted Old Forrester. It is the only bourbon I've ever tasted that I can say that I did not like at all. I'm looking forward to trying it again at the Sampler in April to see if my opinion changes. It certainly gets a lot of good comments on this site. Maybe it's because until KBF last year I was strictly a single malt drinker, and the heavily peated malts of Islay are my favorites. My taste buds may be warped for bourbon.

Stu

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.