What is THE best American Whiskey you have ever had?

fussychicken
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, so we have posts for your top five, your favorite from a particular distiller, etc... What I want to know is, if you could pick one and only one whiskey as your very favorite, what would it be?

For example, we all know that Chuck really really likes Very Very Old Fitzgerald. And for some only Wild Turkey will do. I myself had a tough time deciding between PWV15 and VWFRR, but would have to say that after sampling about 30 different American Whiskeys so far, that it is actually a rye that takes the cake: Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is my #1.

So lets here it, what is your #1?

This could only serve to drive the price of my favorite into the stratosphere, so I will abstain and quietly stock up before word gets out;)

Tuff question indeed! I would say it is a tigh between 3 brands for me: Old st Nick winter rye lot DD18, Willet 22 first edition and WLW 2006.

Leif

Hmmm. My sample is even smaller than that of the OP: fewer than a dozen bourbons, four ryes, and two Tennessee whiskeys. And virtually all of these were the familiar, available-anywhere brands (one possible exception: Michter's rye).

With that qualification, I'd say it'd be a toss-up between Elijah Craig 12 and WT Rare Breed. But since you specified "one and only one," I'll go with the WTRB, if only because it costs more, and because I'm told the EC12 can be inconsistent and I'm still on my first bottle.

Larry

Tough call, but I would probably go with WTT. Keep in mind, I've only had one bottle and probably will never find another so I'm basing it off a couple week's worth of sipping the Trib.

Favorite American whiskey? I'd have to say Stanahans. Favorite American whiskey other than a pure barley single malt? PVW 23 and FR 40th commemorative would have to vie for first place with EC 18 at a close third.

Stu

Pappy Van Winkle 20 y.o.. I would for practical, and affordable reasons, accept Old Rip Van Winkle 10 y.o.

at this point in my tongue and nose and throat team career...and i admit it changes...i would have to say the WILD TURKEY RUSSELL'S RESERVE 101 which i just got and is just going down too quickly!

i like lower and higher proof whiskies...but 101 is a nice balance of burn/pepperiness and such an enjoyable nose. the finish simply is perfection! and yep, this beats the Stagg 07 and the Eagle Rare SB 10! but it's still like comparing charred raisins to charred cranberries...:rolleyes:

i'm constantly impressed with the differences i've experienced with different brands/proofs...and of course, time of day, mood, season, etc are contributing factors i have to consider.

i simply like the solidity of the WT line, but this one is the tops for me.

and to think, i have still yet to try Rare Breed!

i must admit, too, that my palate had a nice jolt when i first had the Michter's Unfiltered last year. that opened some horizons and is still a mellow, tasty favorite

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 y/o.

That was easy. Picking the second place finisher would be hard.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Old Potrero Single Malt Whiskey Essay 7-RW-ARM-6 100% Rye uncharred oak barrels(61%, OB, December 31st, 1997- July 14th, 2000).

I just found this one stunning. Note: I am new to bourbon, and have yet to try Pappy 15 or some of the otherk favorites of folks here. This Old Potrero just peat out GS Fall 05 for me..just..

W.L. Weller Special Reserve 8yo Bottled in Bond, distilled in 1940 and bottled in 1948:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4427&highlight=Weller

Strange thing is, I wasn't really wowed by it upon opening (but we were tasting many whiskeys at the time). Unsurprisingly, Gary Gillman noted its quality immediately.

But the remains of that bottle, when tasted alone and over a period of time, were such that I'll always search for a comparable flavor.

Adding to the enjoyment, Julian and Preston got to savor the last couple of pours of their Van Winkle family's heritage in that bottle.

Warehouse Z, Barton's distillery, single barrel, straight from the barrel, destined to go into Ridgemont Reserve 1792. Too bad it was mingled.

Warehouse Z, Barton's distillery, single barrel, straight from the barrel, destined to go into Ridgemont Reserve 1792.

I remember that one Dane. Your right, it was magnificant but not available to the general public.

Joe :usflag:

WT 12 y/o Gold Foil

Joe :usflag:

is this long discontinued?

i'd like to find a thread here that lists all WTs ever produced...and which are still available (even if already discontinued)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.