What is THE best American Whiskey you have ever had?

fussychicken
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 months later...
Joe, this was a special bottling done by a California merchant some years back....

I have a bottle that looks just like that, only my bottle is bottle number 7.

Silent/Departed Whiskey: Old Commonwealth beats anything else I've ever had by miles. Stitz cranked out some mighty good stuff in its day and the older it got the better it got. (I wonder who owns the property now, and whether its stills are in any shape for action at all.)

Whiskey That You Can Still Get: around 8 years ago I had a bottle of 12 YO Wild Turkey with which I was very much impressed. It had a superb honey richness that I actually demonstrated to a high-peat Scotch drinker who told me he thought Bourbon was "too rough". Knob Creek of the time had a similar dense sweetness to it, but I didn't think it was quite in the same league.

With Rye, gotta say Baby Saz. Costs twice as much as any other "shelf rye", but it's a kaleidoscopic fruity cinnamon spicy joyride of a whiskey. I would unabashedly go through a bottle a week if they sold it at the $12 or so price point that most other ryes go for. (Overholt does go for that price point and has a similar profile, but at 80 proof it does not have the same intensity. Baby Saz makes you forget that it's only 90 proof.)

well, it's almost a year later...and i've tried others since i declared WT RR101 as the tops for me...since then i've had the STAGG from 2007 (wow wow wow)....and on the mellower side of the still, the EAGLE RARE 10 was simply delicious.

ok. for simply the best and mind-blowing and hard-to-beat: STAGG (slightly cut...HAD to!)

The 22 year old rye that Doug Philips poured for me at KBF. I've been ruined for life by that moment. :cool:

I've had about half of these mentioned above. But if i got to choose one, Pappy 20. I got like 15 top 5's though.....lol

Well. Tough call. Very tough call.

To memory, the most enjoyable whiskey has been either the "Old Commonwealth 10yr" (A Van Winkle product, I do believe) or the Pappy 15yr or a number of Willett's.

Crap. To have to choose. Rittenhouse 23yr Rye? No, not quite as good as those above. There are a couple of Vintage bourbons that are outstanding to say the least, but I'd have to say that the 10yr "Old Commonwealth" is right now sitting at the top of my list.

Wow, what a hard question. I haven't had as many bourbons as others here (about 21 different brands) but I have had more than most of my friends who have taken up bourbon drinking thanks to my advise and this site. I have also enjoyed some fine Tennessee whiskey (Jack Daniels Single Barrel) but have never been a big fan of rye.

All that said, if I could only have ONE whiskey for the rest of my life it would have to be Buffalo Trace. I enjoy it neat, on the rocks, and straight up so I can't go wrong.

My best bourbon is Very Very Old Fitzgerald 15yo B.I.B. distilled 1954,bottled 1969

I love a A.H.Hirsch Reserve 20yo 91.6proof,too.

Well, the jury is still out, but right now WT 12 with the "cheesy gold foil label" is the top contender.

Right now, maybe because it's what I'm drinking, I like Wild Turkey Rye as much as anything I've ever tried. But, I remember having exactly the same thought about Blanton's Original, not too long ago, ... before I finished the bottle.

Well, I can honestly say that I hope I haven't had it yet. But, if I had to select one now, it would be the McScrooge's bottling of S-W Pappy 15. Doug's 22 yr. rye would be right behind it.

Jim Beam Distiller's Masterpiece 18 yo Cognac Finish Bourbon would be my #1 with a Classic Cask 22 yo Rye close behind.

I have to mention a few: Doug Phillips' 1970's Beam's Choice (a square-shaped bottle with a black label similar to today's Beam Black label); some of Tim Sousley's 1950's-70's S-W bottlings; A.H. Hirsch 20; Hirsch 16 blue wax; Tony's 1970's Benchmark; the current Hirsch 22 rye. There have been many others though (e.g., Bobby's Yellowstone Mellow Mash).

Gary

My best bourbon is Very Very Old Fitzgerald 15yo B.I.B. distilled 1954,bottled 1969

OK..........that's just not fair...

The barrel of Willet Rye that Hans bought to be shipped to Switzerland. It beat out Doug's rye by hair on the end of the nose (IMHO). Unfortunately I won't be able to buy any (sniff sniff).

OK..........that's just not fair...

This old fitzgerald was very sweety,very long finished,my best bourbon whiskey.:lol:

I have one of these VVOF 15 yr in my bunker, same bottled date.

As far as I can tell it was only made one year. That makes it pretty rare for SW bottles. Do you have any information about this bottling?

Greg

I've never had anything match the PVW20, but I haven't touched the PVW23 on the shelf yet either...

On a side note, I've noticed that Michter's 10yo Bourbon hasn't got much love around here, but I've found it to be one of my favorite neats. Is it something that's not readily available outside of SoCal?

VO Barton, 90 proof (haven't tried the BIB yet). Close second, 4R Yellow label.

Honorable Mention: Booker's, OF Sig 100, OC10, Dickel No. 8

It's not the best bourbon I've ever had, but the (estimated) 30 year old Beams Choice I got to try on Saturday night was a real treat. Light, smooth and no burn at all with a finish that was sweet like toffee.

I have one of these VVOF 15 yr in my bunker, same bottled date.

As far as I can tell it was only made one year. That makes it pretty rare for SW bottles. Do you have any information about this bottling?

Greg

Woo!:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: You have ...

VVO is a very good taste bourbon.

This fitzgerald got a ebay auction 6years ago.

I can't get a very very old fitzgerald 18yo in ebay auction.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.