What is THE best American Whiskey you have ever had?

fussychicken
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

again, i have to ask, is this long discontinued?

Yes. No longer being made even for export, it was export-only for the last decade or so of its existence. (The split label, by the way, is newer than the oft-praised "cheesy" gold-foil label).

Thus, any bottles remaining to be found in this fair land have been on shelves for many years.

Yes. No longer being made even for export, it was export-only for the last decade or so of its existence.

Really? I saw some at a duty free shop just 2 months ago. Are they starting to phase it out?

Really? I saw some at a duty free shop just 2 months ago. Are they starting to phase it out?

As you can see in any of the local 'dusties' threads, it can take years for existing stock of discontinued bottlings to disappear.

WT 12yo hasn't been made for a couple of years already.

Van Winkle, Lot B - the older one of SW origin, bottled in Lawrenceburg. Although just about any VW product could be 'best' IMHO, this one had the best of all worlds for my palate in terms of balance, nose, start, finish, etc. Though it is entirely subjective and will be different for everyone, the 11-15 year age range is where most of my favorite bourbons lie.

Ezra Brooks 15 Year Old from back in the early 80's. look to the left for pic.

I remember that one too. Very Good stuff.

Joe :usflag:

Well, if Mr. Peabody and Sherman show up on my door step I'll take out a second mortgage and, returning to the mid 1960s, buy as many cases of 12yr old Fitzgerald as the Wayback machine could hold.

Lacking that option I'll settle for Eligah Craig. Seriously, I give EC as gifts, recommend it to scotch drinking friends who ask which bourbon to buy, and find it as satisfying for my own use as anything else in the market.

Regards,

Squire

First of all, love the Sherman and Peabody reference a whole bunch!

Sticking with what some of us already have, I must give my vote for WLW from the '06 Antique Collection.

I had some of that Old Ezra in the wooden box. I think it was under $15, but that may have been with my employee discount. Those were the days.

I think Blanton's was under $30 then. I know I used to get Laphroaig 10 for around $20.

• 4 months later...

I encountered this thread in the course of doing a web search, the purpose being to determine who makes Ezra Brooks for David Sherman (Heaven Hill?)

Ezra Brooks 15 Year Old from back in the early 80's. look to the left for pic.

Oh, I remember that stuff. It's the first over-12yo bourbon I ever encountered. Bought some just before a hunting trip. Didn't open it until we were out in the woods, first night, sitting around the campfire.

To me it was waaaaay too woody, almost grainy. Mixing it with Coke didn't help. One of the other guys had some Yukon Jack (a liqueur based on Canadian Whisky, for those unfamiliar with it). Mixed 1:1 with the YJ it was drinkable. Sort of.

Because of that stuff, to this day I approach all (untried) older bourbons with a certain amount of caution.

As for "THE best American Whiskey I have ever had", that would be Hirsch 16 Blue Wax. A year older than the EB 15 but NOT woody.

As for "THE best American Whiskey I have ever had", that would be Hirsch 16 Blue Wax.

I have to agree with CorvallisCracker.

My favorite was Michter's 86 proof when the Schaeferstown plant was still operating. Missed it for years until it was reintroduced under the A.H. Hirsch label. I have enough Blue and Red Wax to last me until I can no longer manage a sip. A.H. Hirsch Blue wax is my favorite, but I do enjoy and appreciate all of the excellent Kentucky bourbons that are available today and could easily come up with another favorite if necessary. I just finished a bottle of Rebel Yell that I really enjoyed--great aroma. Perhaps my Pennsylvania heritage has something to do with the choice.

I'm torn between PVW23, sb bottling and FR Jim Rutledge 40th Anniversary bottling. Now if you ask me best rye based or best wheater, i can give an answer.

PVW 15. Like it better than Pappy 20.

I agree, the PVW15 edges the 20 out most nights for me. If I was to choose one bourbon to drink the rest of my life it would be PVW15.

I've had so many great ones but I think the best one I've ever had was a J.W. Dant made in the 50's and bottled in the 60's. It was 10 y/o and BiB.

Joe :usflag:

VWFRR is one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth, let alone limiting it to spirits, so yeah, I'm gonna go with that.

so far, Saz 18. Rye candy. I've not tasted enough old rye to be expert but don't expect better for my own taste.

Stumbled over a dusty bottle, and a Pappy 21, and the Pappy was not so special, compared to the Saz 18. Each to their own but I sure wish that Saz was more affordable.

Good grief....hard to pick just one. I would have to say that my all time favorite would be Stitzel Weller Old Fitzgerald BIB. There's many that I really like but SW made such great bourbon.

Tie for me...

Old Weller Antique 107 (53.5%, OB, Stitzel-Weller Louisville, 90s)

Old Potrero Single Malt Whiskey Essay 7-RW-ARM-6 100% Rye uncharred oak barrels(61%, OB, December 31st, 1997- July 14th, 2000)

That's a tought one as there are so many good ones. For me it would have to be ORVW 15/107. However I really, really like the Old Grand Dad BIB that I have collected from the 60's and 70's. The Old Fitzgerald BIB from that era is also very good. So many whiskey's, so little time...

That's a tought one as there are so many good ones. For me it would have to be ORVW 15/107.

I like that one too....

mine right now is the EW antabellum from 1980... man that is good stuff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.