Old Forester Repeal Bourbon

StraightBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They certainly want it in stores sufficiently in advance of December 5.

The three-tier distribution system makes retail release an inexact science. The producers can only control when the product gets to the distributors. It's up to the distributors to get it to the retailers and up to the retailers to actually get it on the floor.

By the way, I am learning that regarding who was distilling during Prohibition, if you ask six different people you get nine different answers.

Brown-Forman maintains that they were distilling Old Forester to the same mashbill through Prohibition, and are the only distillery that can claim unbroken (by law) distillation of their flagship whiskey from their early days in so doing.

Buffalo Trace claims on their website that the then-Stagg Distillery was the only one of the six licensed distilleries to actually distill during Prohibition.

Jim Murray contradicts both assertions: in "Classic Bourbon, Tennessee and Rye" he says that while Stagg had a license to distil, they did not take advantage of it but instead remained silent throughout Prohibition. And in "The Complete Guide To Whiskey", Murray makes the interesting claim that Stitzel-Weller produced for Brown-Forman and Frankfort Distillers in addition to their own needs during Prohibition.

Does anyone have a straight story? I, for one, need a drink :)

A seller on ebay has 4 of these for sale right now. Are they out?

Randy

They hit the shelves in Louisville this week.

what were they running? I order two (one for me and one for Bourbon Japan guy) yesturday.

Rumor says: mid-low $20s.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one yesterday. It's actually Old Forester Repeal Whisky (no e) - not sure what the implication is of not calling it bourbon. It was about $26 and comes with a Glencairn glass and a copy of the 21st amendment. The whisky is very nice - it tastes a lot like OF Signature.

Craig

Whiskey v. Bourbon is simply because it's a replica label and the labels during Prohibition said whiskey. It is, in fact, bourbon whiskey.

Whiskey v. Bourbon is simply because it's a replica label and the labels during Prohibition said whiskey. It is, in fact, bourbon whiskey.

At what point did "whiskey" and "whisky" develop a distinction? I know it's not universally applied, but is it fairly recent, and was it a deliberate manipulation of the terms or just sort of accidental?

Craig

Although frequently the subject of controversy, it's really just a spelling difference between English English and American English, like color/colour and many other words, though many people persist in believing it actually means something. Today, Brown-Forman says it uses the "whisky" spelling to honor the Brown famiily's Scottish heritage, although on their flagship brand, Jack Daniel's, they spell it "whiskey." Maker's Mark also uses "whisky" for the same reason. George Dickel uses "whisky" and has some BS explanation as to why, but it's BS.

• 2 weeks later...

The Georgia Bourbon Society (Uh, Jimmy and me...:rolleyes:) just returned form the local cigar "mega store" yearly anniversary event. Food, drinks, 25% off all cigars, Rocky Patel, Nick Perdomo, etc attending. Jimmy brought the OFRB. It is really wonderful bourbon. Very, very distinctive. Not quite like anything I have ever tasted before. Not an particularly heavy bourbon, but very flavorful. A little fresh pine on the nose. Mid palate, and especially the finish is where the distinctiveness comes home. A normal leather hint is compounded with spices of bay leaves, rosemary, and something else that I can't quite get a grip on. But, it really works for me. At the cost for the small bottle, it would factor out to approx. $50 for a 750? I'd pay that in a heartbeat for it, if it were a regular item.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of these gift packs the other day. I haven't tried the Bourbon yet, but I can report the Glencairn glass included is one of the new "crystal" versions they changed to, thinner and lighter. It really rings when you clink it. I'll try the Whisky when my 30 day hiatus is over right before Christmas.

Maybe that's why I broke mine so easily.

I just picked mine up and also noticed the glass is lighter and thinner than my Laphroaig Glencairn. The Old Forester Logo is silk screen on the glass so it won't survive dish washers. Still, it's a better glass than 90% of the "free" glasses included in most of the holiday editions of spirits.

Looks like I need to buy more of the OFRW so I will have back-up glasses.:grin:

I went back to pick up another and they were gone. Anybody know if this particular bourbon is also bottled as something else? I thought it tasted a lot like the Signature, but I think someone else here disagreed. Was this a limited stock? Anyway, I'd like to find more whether it's called Repeal or has another label. The glass was nice too, but I have lots of glasses.

Craig

It's not bottled as something else, although Signature probably is closest. Between this, and the two standard expressions, and all of the different birthday bourbons, you can see how much the "same" whiskey can vary depending on age and barrel selection.

• 4 weeks later...

So one of the sleepy little package stores where I can often "find" things that should be gone, has a case of these stuffed under a shelf. The best part is that they're selling them for $12.99. pretty good deal, eh?

Darn good deal. I'd get two or three if I were you. I bought two at $24.99 each. One to drink and one to keep. The glass you get is great. Joe

I bought two to use in a Brown-Forman range tasting next Friday. Must say though, the prices over on E-Bay are enticing. With Signature, Birthday Bourbons, and Woodford already lined up, no one would miss them. <cringe>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.