Old Forester Repeal Bourbon

StraightBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, I have exhausted my search for the OF Repeal Bourbon in my area(Middle TN) and have come up empty handed. Being a huge fan of the OF Signature, I really wanted to try some of this, maybe even have one as a keeper. If anyone knows of any still out there, please let me know. I am planning a distillery trip sometime in Feb. and may check out some places in KY then. I haven't totally given up, but am getting very close. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, I have exhausted my search for the OF Repeal Bourbon in my area(Middle TN) and have come up empty handed. Being a huge fan of the OF Signature, I really wanted to try some of this, maybe even have one as a keeper. If anyone knows of any still out there, please let me know. I am planning a distillery trip sometime in Feb. and may check out some places in KY then. I haven't totally given up, but am getting very close. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, Sot. Is Knoxville within range for you? If you can make the hike over there, I know some stores that have it. And, some of the others you're looking for. Road Trip!!

Hey, Sot. Is Knoxville within range for you? If you can make the hike over there, I know some stores that have it. And, some of the others you're looking for. Road Trip!!

Bowling Green, KY had some a few weeks ago. That is only an hour or so.

what were they running? I order two (one for me and one for Bourbon Japan guy) yesturday.

And I thank you sir. Where's the pen and the little charter thing? :grin:

that the whiskey comes from 10-year-old stocks.

I am wondering if this is what happened to the Weller Centennial.

And I thank you sir. Where's the pen and the little charter thing? :grin:

I have that charter repeal thing... forgot to put it in... you can have it when I send you something else... I do not recall any pens though...

Well, I was about to give up too quick. I found a list of all stores in this area and burnt up the phone. I was finally able to locate a place not too far from here that had this in stock. Went today and got one. Planning on giving it a try tonight. Will probably go back and get another for a keep-sake! Thanks to all of you for letting me know where I can still get this.

I have that charter repeal thing... forgot to put it in... you can have it when I send you something else... I do not recall any pens though...

IT'S SUPPOSSED TO COME WITH A PEN! GODDAMN IT WHERE'S MY PEN?

I WANT MY MUTHAFUKEN PEN:hot:

Naw just shittin ya.

Yep, when the turn comes round again!

Deo, liquid smoke, and that silly piece of papaer.

Sounds like a plan- that and some Bourbon!

Shit (turns head to the side)

me:grin:

I notice that BF, on their website, consistently claims that Old Forester is the only US whiskey that has been distilled continuously, even during Prohibition, a claim no other US whiskey can make.

But...what about the old National Distillers stable? Wasn't American Medicinal Spirits Company distilling Old Grand-Dad/Taylor/Crow during that time? And either Stitzel or Weller had a distilling license during Prohibition, which is why Pappy brought them together - the Weller and Fitz labels surely were produced for medicinal purposes during The Noble Experiment. And if I recall correctly Dickel was being produced at the Schenley plant, today's Buffalo Trace, during the Prohibition era.

I'm wanting to toss I. W. Harper into that list as well, but I don't recall offhand whether Bernheim was distilling during Prohibition.

Any historical experts have background on this? Mike Veach, Chuck Cowdery, et al?

Was this thread Done?!? BB

I don't recall if I said this at the time, but Old Forester and Brown-Forman are unique because it really is the same company. It's even still controlled by the Brown family. Everything else is just a brand, because all of the others have passed through several hands. Beam has continuity through the Beam family, but in the post-prohibition company the Beams are just employees, and the Jim Beam brand is a post-prohibition creation. Stitzel had a medicinal license, but the company was then owned by the Stitzel family, subsequently by the Van Winkle family, and then finally by its various and sundry corporate owners. It's difficult to capture these things in a simple sentence, but Brown-Forman did make Old Forester before, during and after prohibition, and still makes it today. There is nothing else comparable in the industry.

I am wondering if this is what happened to the Weller Centennial.

Weller Centennial and Old Forester have nothing to do with each other, different companies, different mashbills.

Weller Centennial and Old Forester have nothing to do with each other, different companies, different mashbills.

Timothy I think you're taking is comment out of context. My orginal post was quoting that the Repeal was not just OF Signature in a different package that it was actually 10 year old stock. I think what Attila was eluding to was that maybe Centennial suffered a similar fate in that the bourbon which would have become WL Cent. was used in something different... That's the way I took it anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.