What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Oscar, Have you talked to the folks at Julio's yet... when do you get your goods

I have not talked to the good people at Julio's in quite a while.

Should I?

If I should then I am there!!!!!!!

Thanx 4 the tip.

Joe, It was a 2008 barrel, which puts it at 1992/3 on Distillation... so it is hard to say.

For the people that got to see the barrel it should have been easy. If S-W, the barrel head should have been stamped "Old Fitzgerald". Anybody see the barrel?

Joe :usflag:

For the people that got to see the barrel it should have been easy. If S-W, the barrel head should have been stamped "Old Fitzgerald". Anybody see the barrel?

yeah... and I do not recall that on any barrel from that day, but a lot of barrels were tasted...

I am leaning heavily towards "not SW"... I still have the barrel sample bottle that was used so let me take a look at that when I get back to Tucson to see if it says anything. The info I recorded on BourbonEnthusiast.com was:

• Barrel Lot # *91-C-19, Bbl Location L-5-12, Proof ~125

Unfortunately that does not tell me anything that I would understand if it was or not... just location in the rick house and barrel number... which, I think says it is from 1991 (91-C-19) . Does the 91 mean it is from 1991?

There were 7 Barrels purchased that day, 5 different bourbons (PVW 15, RHFs, ER [3 barrels purchased], Baby Saz and BT). If I recall correctly there were 20 barrels in the tasting pool.

I do know it is really tasty stuff. Here were my notes on this barrel:

Nose:

There is a little of the barrel in the nose. Similar to the ER and Saz on first scent.

After a min or so the vanilla crawls out for the glass and into your mind… there is some light nutmeg, nuts, caramel and a plethora of baked goods on Christmas morning.

Taste:

VANILLA… yummy… caramel… and lots of it… and some perfect burn. This bourbon is unfairly good….

Finish:

What a finish.. a ton of vanilla, caramel, light milk chocolate, and a burn that should be the measuring stick for all bourbons... in amplifies the sweet vanilla and caramel 30-45

Overall:

There is good bourbon and then there is great bourbon… this falls into the latter . This is one of the best PVW 15s I have had.

I wish I had a bottle of this at cask strength…

I have not talked to the good people at Julio's in quite a while.

Should I?

If I should then I am there!!!!!!!

Thanx 4 the tip.

There is a bottle of PVW 15 with your name on it waiting for you... there was 2.... but the distributor screwed the pouch and gave 9 of the very, very limited bottles away. Get a RHFs while you are at it. That stuff is also crazy good...

You are here pushing personalized bottlings from 7 barrels (complete with tasting notes) and you don't know what's inside those bottles?

You are here pushing personalized bottling from 7 barrels (complete with tasting notes) and you don't know what's inside those bottles?

Bettye,

Not pushing them.... sorry if it seemed like these were mine or I was trying to push the sell of these

I do not own them... but I did get to taste them all. I have zero interest on the barrels or the bottles sold... just a consumer that got to taste them (I will make or loose $0 - I don't even get a better discount than the other folks that buy these) ... ... just relaying my thoughts on these barrels... which I thought were very good. Five guys from BD and BE were able to participate and help rank/rate the different bourbons.... it was a really cool experience that we made a 3 day trip out of bac kin June of this year...

There were limited PVW 15yr, I did not get to see the barrel myself, but the other guys did and ... I forgot to ask. Honestly, I was not/am not concerned with who made it, but how it tasted....

I liked the PVW and the RHFs the best...

I only posted the notes on the PVW (I have notes on the others) to show what I knew and thought of the PVW... sorry if I mislead anyone - I am a consumer... not an owner :grin:

err... it is DSP-113... I freakin' knew that... dee-dee-dee... I should try sleeping some time... so it is BT juice.

I went to the doctor yesterday for my normal 3-month check up (due to diabetes monitoring). My nurse is one of my former students. She drew my blood and then nailed me with the flu shot. The problem came when she screwed it in after pulling out the needle. I told her I must have deserved that for giving her too many writing assignments years ago! She said I was pussy and needed to butch-up, OK, I deserved that but damn my arm hurt. Anyway, with two band-aids and feeling sore I went forth trying to complete my expedition to all of the liquor stores in Southern Miami-Dade County. I found one with Weller! Wow! I have really never seen this brand sold in Florida before. I came home with three bottles of Weller Centennial for $28 each and a large 1.75l bottle of Weller Special Reserve for $30. I cleaned them out of the Centennial but they still have one more Weller Special Reserve that I may claim as mine if I make it back to that store....have I mentioned (whining) that my arm hurts?:rolleyes:

err... it is DSP-113... I freakin' knew that... dee-dee-dee... I should try sleeping some time... so it is BT juice.

That must mean that BT now has wheaters old enough to go into the 15 y/o. This must be some of the first juice in there. Interesting.

Yesterday was the first time that I've seen ORVW/10 90 proof here in Nashville, so I picked one up. Excellent bottle!

• 2 months later...

Well i haven't posted in a while but i recently took possession of some new drops and one particular dusty which blew my mind! I've attached pics of them as follows:

Viriginia Gentlemen, i'd seen this beauty about 4 years ago in Melbourne for about $AU70 but never purchased. From what i've read on this forum it is a nice one.

The Baby Saz i've been trying to get for ages as it has scored many good posts for its lengthy taste and finally, i got one and can't wait to uncork.

Thirdly i found this bottle of 1972 Old Forester on fleabay and put down a humble bid of around $US15 max and won it! still can't believe it and am warry that it is a hoax bottle but all seems to be ok from closer inspection, although it does have very little evaporation ??? Have i been duped? I've atatched some shots of the label and bottom for observation.

Also scored another beautiful bottle of ORVW10yo 107proof from a friend in LA. This was one of my first and most memorable bourbons purchased when i was younger so when my friend said he could get me a bottle i jumped at it. I've included a shot of the numbering as it has an 'A' at the start and need advice on whether this IS an 'A' and whether it is the new numbering or an older one. Any feedback muchly appreciated.

I'll be cracking the ORVW10yo and Baby Saz to celebrate xmas!

:yum:

post-3711-14489815068088_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815068482_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815068887_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815070006_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815070255_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815070739_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815068088_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815068482_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815068887_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815070006_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815070255_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489815070739_thumb.jpg

Nice pickups Tym. That should keep you through the long cold......er, I mean the long hot summer!:slappin: Joe

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!