What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The silver lining in my delay on the way to Lawrenceburg was that Party Source was open as I breezed through Bellevue. Although they weren't selling any perishables due to the power issues in northern Kentucky, it didn't bother me since I wasn't looking for eggs and cheese. :grin:

I grabbed a Very Old Barton BIB, Heaven Hill BIB and AAA 10 year for less than 2 twenties. :cool:

I got the standard bottling as I saw it but had not read about their house bottling in advance.

Did I mess up? :skep:

Well, we'll see. I'll pick up the house bottling Friday morning and we can do a comparison Friday night!

Gary

On our cruise last week I picked up a couple of bottles of WT 8 yr old saving them for a rainy day or a special occasion.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, dark wood top.

I couldn't leave it on the shelf because I have yet to like a light wood top.

Is the light wood top the latest releases?

I saw a light wood topped KS and was shocked at how light the bourbon looked compared to the pewter tops and dark tops I've had.

Wonder if they are using much younger bourbon in the latest releases.

Greg

Is the light wood top the latest releases?

I saw a light wood topped KS and was shocked at how light the bourbon looked compared to the pewter tops and dark tops I've had.

Wonder if they are using much younger bourbon in the latest releases.

Greg

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Yes, the light wood tops are the newest.

I don't know what the deal is but I have yet to find a light wood top that I like or at least have to work on.

The one I am drinking now I shake it with out the top on and leave it open for a while to let it get some air, it seems to work there is an improvement.

I picked up a 1.75 of Weller 12yr. Dont know how good of a deal it was at $33+ tax, but that is the only one they had, and the first one I had seen in a very long time. So came with me it did. This might be the last one I see, but that didnt keep me from opening it just now..:cool:

Visited the Houston downtown Specs. The had about 15 bottles of Thomas Handy Rye, one 2006 and ? the rest 2007. These have not been on the shelf, so they dug them up from someplace. I bought 2 bottles.

Picked up some Heaven Hill today, both the white label (80 proof, NAS) and the black label (86 proof, NAS), 1 litre of each. I've never seen these at any other liquor store than the out of the way one I passed by today so I figured I'd give them a shot while I could since they were only $9.99 and $10.99, respectively.

I picked up a 1.75 of Weller 12yr. Dont know how good of a deal it was at $33+ tax, but that is the only one they had, and the first one I had seen in a very long time. So came with me it did. This might be the last one I see, but that didnt keep me from opening it just now..:cool:

I wish I could get deals like that! Wow, 1.75 L of Weller 12 for $33+tax, MI doesn't carry it, but if it did it would be close to $50 + tax.

I cleaned the air intake on my Volvo 740 Wagon so I wanted to see how the repair went. I took a drive down to the upper Keys to warm up the engine and test the repair. Along the way I stopped at a few liquor stores and took home some booze I have not seen in Miami yet. First was a bottle of Old Charter 8 year old with the older gold cap. In truth I saw a bottle near my work for, get this, $39. I took this one home for less than half that price. Later in the day I also found a bottle of Cabin Still. Both are lower end drinks but I felt the need to grab these as they are unseen in Miami.

Tina is returning from a much deserved "Mom's weekend" away with Henry McKenna SB, Weller 12, and Old Rip 10yr 90 (no 107 found :( ).

Can't wait to see her...and the bourbon! :)

A 6 pack of WTRR 101. Also 2 bottles of EC12 that were priced at $14.99; date on glass bottom is 86 - so maybe from 1986? When was EC12 first sold?

Wade, sorry we missed you at the recent Gazebo. Next time I hope!

I think you have found a very early version of EC 12 because I don't think the brand goes back before the early 80's.

It would be interesting to have a taste note.

Incidentally, at the Gala I asked Parker Beam why a 1970's-distilled Heaven Hill 86 proof I have seems heavier in body and more oily than the current version.

He said that at the time the doubling process was probably less intensive and also that still design changes over the years could make a difference. Tasted side by side with the current version, the older one seemed less good to me. On the other hand, the older one might have aged very well and that is what you would have, a heavy, traditional spirit given twice the age or so of the one I was referring to. It's probably very good.

Gary

Yesterday I picked up a liter bottle of Old Fitzgerald with a bottom date of 1994 on it. I also picked up a bottle of Weller Centennial and a bottle of Old Charter 13 year old Proprieters Reserve. Today I picked up two bottles of Wild Turkey Russels Reserve 101 proof. Tomorrow I have some Van Winkle in my sights.

Okay, here we go. I finally have some time to post what I picked up last/this week. While down in Bardstown at the KBF last week;

1. 750 J.T.S. Brown 100 proof BIB

2. 750 J.W. Dant 100 proof BIB

3. 750 Old Heaven Hill 100 proof BIB

4. 1 liter AAA 10 yr old 86 proof

5. 750 Four Roses Mariage 107.8 proof

6. 750 2008 EWSB 86.6 proof, signed by Parker Beam

7. 750 ORVW 10/107, a trade with Scott (callmeox)

8. 750 MM VIP Bottle 90 proof

9. 4 750's of ER 101, thanks to Mike (scratchline)

This week (by Fedex, hopefully tomorrow);

1. 2 Julio's bottling of RHF

2. 2 Julio's bottling of ER

Thank goodness I emptied a few bottles the last couple of months. I still don't have enough room, so some bottles in the bunker will be transferred to the basement. This haul should hold me in good stead for quite a while. Although, I might do a little hunting in Vegas in a couple of weeks.:lol: Joe

Thanks to luv2hunt for sending two bottles of Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye...and thanks to Mozilla for doing the ground work!

I plan on having my first pour tomorrow evening.

-Joe

Wild Turkey 12 yr. Gold Foil 1990

Wild Turkey 12 yr. Split Label 1996

I just finished my Wild Turkey 12 yr. standard release last night. I should have saved some for comparison.

Wild Turkey 12 yr. Gold Foil 1990

Wild Turkey 12 yr. Split Label 1996

I just finished my Wild Turkey 12 yr. standard release last night. I should have saved some for comparison.

I stopped by and saw Andy at Village party Store in Saline today,... hey cas AKA Craig I drive thru Saline everyday to and from work.

But anyway, I wanted to get a bottle of WT Russell's Reserve.

It has been on my mind for a while, the good Doctor from north of me brought a bottle over a while ago but we didn't get to it.

Andy didn't have any so I got a WT Rare Breed.

Still wanting to have a WTRR I raided my bunker,...

Can't say what it tasted like, cuz I'd be off topic.

Picked up a Weller Antique today while fishing for something bigger. At $14 for a 750ml I couldn't say no.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!