Operation Kegerator

SBOmarc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is now complete. The 7.75 gallon Sierra Neveda Pale Ale is flowing. Will be adjusting the CO2 as the keg cools down.

For you home brewers, how does one go about getting home brew into a keg?

Is now complete. The 7.75 gallon Sierra Neveda Pale Ale is flowing. Will be adjusting the CO2 as the keg cools down.

For you home brewers, how does one go about getting home brew into a keg?

You open the top and pour it in:lol:

Seriously, I'm not sure how SN kegs work, but most home-brewers are using reconditioned 5-gallon soda kegs. There is an oval lid, with a good sized o-ring, that clamps shut and won't budge when you hit it with some CO2.

I was going to suggest SNPA as a first keg for your keggerator, so nice call. What is your serving pressure?

Waiting for the temperature to come up, serving at 10 psi. First one is foamy and quick, the second pours are just fine. Still want to add some of my pals home brews and not sure that the 5 gallon will work in this. Waiting for your thoughts.

Thanks Jeff.

I like a lot of beers, but a keg of SNPA is what I'd pick. Do the quarter barrels have the stripes painted on them, too?

Yes, the quarter does have the stripes. Enjoying this very much. The test will be over the weekend when people start "dropping" by.

Have run into CO2 issues. One tank has been lost and I am unable to find the leak after hooking up the second. They are only costing $8 per tank and it's close by, but my wanting to master this operation is driving me crazy.

I'm not familiar with the C02 lines in this particular type of application. But, when I used to bartend, sometimes we had problems with the o-rings on the connector falling out or not seating all the way. Another problem was one of the other bartenders wasn't getting the regulator/line tightened all the way. One trick I learned to clean the connector on the tank, was to open the valve on the tank for just a split second before hooking it up. This will blow out any dirt or debris that might have accumulated. Hope I could be of some help. Good Luck. Joe

Still working on the leak, but kicked the pony of SNPA and hooked up a Firestone Double Barrel. So far, so good. This beer is getting superior reviews over the SNPA, and I am surprised.

Are you sure you are really out of gas? I have a 5 LB tank of CO2 and it went down to about 1/2 empty on my first keg (Sam Adams Summer). When I tapped my second (Sam Adams Octoberfest) the pressure went back up again. I also thought I had a leak but apparently this is normal. What I've been told is that it will hang out in the 'middle' and after a when it finally reaches the red you have about 1 keg left. I think 1 5 LB tank should last 10 - 20 1/6 kegs.

Also, did you try the soapy water test to find the leak? I did and didn't see any bubbles which is how I know I really didn't have a problem. Just to be sure when I changed kegs I Teflon taped my gas connections.

I think I do, If I leave the CO2 on for any length of time, The tank and lines freeze. When I took it to get it re-filled I had the tech verify that it was empty.

I thought this variation on the kegerator might be of interest to road-travelling Straightbourbonians, maybe those headed Gazebo-way. :) It seems to cover all the bases. I saw this advertised in a local beer and entertainment magazine and thought it was kind of cool.

http://www.partyacargo.com/index.php

Gary

Thanks for the link Gary. It may be worth looking into for Gazebo trips indeed.

I contacted the manufacturer of my unit and a new regulator will be installed Wednesday, plus a gift card to cover the 2 CO2 tanks it cost me. I was impressed by the response.

Thanks for the link Gary. It may be worth looking into for Gazebo trips indeed.

I contacted the manufacturer of my unit and a new regulator will be installed Wednesday, plus a gift card to cover the 2 CO2 tanks it cost me. I was impressed by the response.

Where did you get your Kegerator?

After shopping online and weighing all other factors, I went to BevMo. It is a California Liquor/Beer/Wine superstore.

So I take it that it was a problem with the regulator not seating or just not working properly? Either way, I'm glad you're up and running, or should I say drinking. :drink: Joe

Coming to the end of the Firestone Double Barrel. Thinking of Pyramid or Blue Moon Hefe for the next move. Any suggestions?

Also, 2 facts have become very clear to me.

1. I am not drinking near as much Bourbon.

2. My house has become a very popular drop in place... who knew?

Geeze, Marc. I think everybody here knew you were going to be quite the popular hangout, with the Keg going in. :D I was even comparing fares on flights from ATL into Ontario, John Wayne and LAX!

Sounds like you're having a great time. Good for you.

:toast:

JOE

I'll suggest something...Ace Pear Cider...loved this stuff on draft when I lived in Phoenix

We have moved on from the Firestone to Pyramid Hefe. Tasting very fresh.

I need Oranges!!!

Like to how many kegs you go through in the 1st 6 months and then in the following 6 months.

We went through 4 Kegs of Guinness in the 1st 6, and then 1 over the next 6...

We were going through more Guinness than the pubs around here.. .and it tasted better (poured right)

The good thing about swtiching to homebrew is you can fit 3 kegs in that thing.

Here's my homebrew kegerator setup:

http://www.somethingphischybrewing.com/html/kegerator.html

I need to update it as it now has 3 taps and I just had the main photo of it published in Northern Brewer's catalog! Woot! But there's not apic online of it. I have a tap handle stand now behind the tower where all the glasses are in the pics.

Where in SoCal are you? I'm down in San Diego and I'm brewing generally every other weekend. 19 batches so far in '08!

Phischy, she's a beauty! My kegerator, as such, is just the old refrigerator we replaced in the spring: room for two kegs, plus three tiers of bottles and the deli drawer for yeast. Hops are in the freezer. Not so pretty as yours, but it works. I do hope to do something more formal down the road. Good-looking setup.

Regards,

Thanks, I just got the photo of it all done up with tap stand in the latest Northern Brewer catalog. Woot! I'm going to do a write up and try to get my kegerator and grain mill into Zymurgy. We'll see.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.