What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We are a couple of weeks into Autumn so I started a new thread.

I picked up,

One, Willetts Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel

27 year old

138.6 proof

Bottle No. 19 of 24

Barrel No.473

Warehouse C

Rick N1

One, W. L. Weller 12yo

Single Barrel, Binny's bottle

Three, Four Roses Single Barrel

One each of the 3 that were bottled for Binny's

Below is a link to a post made by Scott, screen name callmeox, he quotes Brett describing the taste profile of each the FRSB.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10254

Nice Pick-up, Oscar !!!! How many are left???

I'm curious on your thoughts on the 4 roses expressions.

Yesterday, I picked up an EC18, distilled in '81. I want to see how it compares to the one I have distilled in '89

I went to pick up a $79 bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit but decided it could wait for another month. It hasn't sold yet and it is unlikely to sell until the point that I find the money to take it home. Instead, I took the two bottles of Van Winkle 12 Year Old Family Reserve Lot B home with me.

took a quick trip up thru GA and AL this weekend and found an item not readily available in my neck of the woods:

JW Dant BIB

Looking forward to trying it later today.

One, W. L. Weller 12yo

Single Barrel, Binny's bottle

Please let me know what you think of this one. This is exactly what I had... so I am hoping it was just my bottle... it was rumored that this was actually a 14 yr.

I had half a bottle left, but becuase of my need to get to my plane quickly I did not check my bag and tossed it. I boarded the plane as the last person and it then pulled out... I would have never tossed it if not for this situation... super thin, lacked the Weller traits that I love so much... it felt very watered down...

Please let me know what you think of this one. This is exactly what I had... so I am hoping it was just my bottle... it was rumored that this was actually a 14 yr.

I had half a bottle left, but becuase of my need to get to my plane quickly I did not check my bag and tossed it. I boarded the plane as the last person and it then pulled out... I would have never tossed it if not for this situation... super thin, lacked the Weller traits that I love so much... it felt very watered down...

As far as that Weller12yo Binny's bottle goes I have to admit that it is in the lower half of all 8 of the Weller expressions I've tried. I rank 'em as follows;

3-way tie between, even if and I agree, that if you say that it is not fair to compare them, I still will,...

BTAC 2006

BTAC 2007

Julio's 14 yo Centennial

Then comes,

Centennial

Depending on my mood the next 4 alternate, but I'd list them in the following order if I were forced to do so,

Special Reserve S-W

Special Reserve BT

12yo Binny's bottle

Antique 107

I haven't had the BTAC 2006 yet, I got two and I am going to do one when it gets cold.

Also I'd say that the Binny's Weller for $24 is hard to beat, but I can't remember to much about it (that could be a bad sign) other than I knew wanted another.

And hey, it is Weller. I remember the bottle I had last spring as enjoyable and am looking forward to this one,...more later.

How many are left???

From what I saw on the shelf I think #1 may be history or maybe one left, #2 is also low, a few of them were there.

But here is the good news, judging by Brett's comments about the three I would say #3 is the best and there were probably 10 bottles left.

3-way tie between, even if and I agree, that if you say that it is not fair to compare them, I still will,...

BTAC 2006

BTAC 2007

Julio's 14 yo Centennial

Then comes,

Centennial

Depending on my mood the next 4 alternate, but I'd list them in the following order if I were forced to do so,

Special Reserve S-W

Special Reserve BT

12yo Binny's bottle

Antique 107

Well, I agree with your ranking completly... On the OWA I have had 3 diffrent and would put two where you did and this one crazy one that was from party sorce that was as good as PVW15yr... not a fair bottle to put in the mix..

Did you mean "05" WLW that you have not had?

I haven't had the BTAC 2006 yet, I got two and I am going to do one when it gets cold.

Wrong date up there on my post.

Did you mean "05" WLW that you have not had?

Yes I did mean 2005, thanx for gettin' my back.

On the OWA this one crazy one that was from party sorce that was as good as PVW15yr

Was that Party Source Weller Antique something recent?

Think they have more?

As good as PVW15yo?

Hmm,...KY roadtrip looks like a possibliity.

I had a bottle of the PS Antique that was a single barrel and it was supposedly around 9yrs of age to the regular antique's 7. They carry it regularly but it does sell out quickly as does their barrel purchase FR single barrel!

Thomas

A bottle of 1994/2004 EWSB arrived today, courtesy of another SB.com member. Looking forward to trying it this eve.

As you know last Saturday I got the Willett 27yo 138.6 proof.

Today I recieved it's California cousin,...

Willlett Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel

25 years old

90.2 proof

Bottle No. 29 of 96

Barrel No. 8

Warehouse C

Rick N2

Also,

2 Wild Turkey Old No. 8

101 proof

Bottled 5-18-92

Cookie Spun me a good one!!

haven't been here for a while.

Got 4R Single Barrel picked by/for Binny's today. They had 2 different barrels, so I got 1 of each.

With the Van Winkles out and not to miss out later on I stopped off after work and picked up;

3 Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107 proof.

also got a,

Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

When I got home a package was waiting for me, inside it was;

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel

Hand selected for Julio's Liquors

Series II

Barrel #34

And;

2 Pappy Van Winkle 15yo

Selected by and/or for all the good people at,

The Loch & K(e)Y Society

BourbonEnthusiast.com

BourbonDrinker.com

Hey guys, isn't it about time StraightBourbon.com got a special barrel?

Got the new PHC 27.

Also noticed that the FR Mariage, which was in the $80 range a week ago, is now available for $60.

Barrel picks from a store in MA:

Single Barrel Pappy 15

Single Barrel RHF

Single Barrel ER 10

Four Roses

How I just need to get my hands on the '08 BTAC and the latest Willett DC release......

With the Van Winkles out and not to miss out later on I stopped off after work and picked up;

3 Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107 proof.

also got a,

Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

When I got home a package was waiting for me, inside it was;

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel

Hand selected for Julio's Liquors

Series II

Barrel #34

And;

2 Pappy Van Winkle 15yo

Selected by and/or for all the good people at,

The Loch & K(e)Y Society

BourbonEnthusiast.com

BourbonDrinker.com

Hey guys, isn't it about time StraightBourbon.com got a special barrel?

Funny Oscar...I got the same things! Christmas came early.

As you know last Saturday I got the Willett 27yo 138.6 proof.

Today I recieved it's California cousin,...

Willlett Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel

25 years old

90.2 proof

Bottle No. 29 of 96

Barrel No. 8

Warehouse C

Rick N2

Also,

2 Wild Turkey Old No. 8

101 proof

Bottled 5-18-92

Cookie Spun me a good one!!

Dats gud bourbon... drinky happy my friend:woohoo:

They finally got Weller Antique back in stock, it's been months since I've been able to buy this which is a shame because it was a regular pour for me. Anyway, the store is now back to being out of stock of Weller Antique. :] If only they could get the Rittenhouse BIB back in...

While I have been drinking bourbon most all of my life... I just started paying serious attention to it over the past couple of years. I guess that since I have always been around it I have taken it for granted. What a shame... I wasted a lot of years!

When I did start paying attention I started buy a lot of the mid shelf bourbons like Woodford, Makers, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace and the like which are all great. However, I keep reading from folks that there are a lot of high quality bourbons that are real bargains at their low-end price point.

So today while I was out and about I stopped by the Liquor Barn and fondled the bottles for a hour or so and started looking at a lot of the Bottled in Bond bourbons. I brought home a Very Old Barton BIB and an Old Grandad BIB to give them a try. I like bourbons in the 100 proof range so I can't wait to give these a try. Hopefully a little later tonight... I was shocked at how inexpensive these were. I think I paid eleven something for the VOB and thirteen for the Old Grandad.

Today I picked up a couple of bottles of Evan Williams 97 Single Barrel and a Four Roses 120th

Just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys. We drove the whole length of them and I checked out a couple of stores to see if there was anything there I hadn't seen back home. We picked up a bottle of Old Charter 8 Yr at the start in a Key Largo store. I think this is the best bourbon I have ever tasted at this price level...$15 for a 750ml! Polished it off along the way and I packed a couple to take home. Makes a lovely mint julep too! Tom

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!