What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to a heads up from a local SB'r I was able to get a bottle of PVW 15, the last one I could find this side of the State! I had planned on getting at least two, so with my left over funds I picked up a Weller 107 and a Buffalo Trace. A quick computer search led me to the Eastern side of the State where my son is still in college. I found another PVW 15 as well as some VWFRR so he's bringing some home for me.

I continue to find the State system poorly run and even more poorly informed, but it's not a complete wasteland and my shelves manage to stay stocked (on occasion more so from friendly SB'rs than the State of WA!!)

:toast:

stopped by a store in claymont de and almost went for the Old Forester Signature at $18.99 a bottle...then there was the BOTM, Old Taylor 6 year at $9.99...

instead, took a chance on an unknown (to me): JOSHUA BROOK 90 proof/8 year...

i researched it when i got home (and was worried i bought something that was a joke)...had i read the slight and minimal remarks/reviews FIRST, i probably would not have made the $14.99 leap...:skep:

GLAD i got it!

just finished another small bottle of Jim Beam Black (nothing spectacular, but very pleasing), but i have to admit, this seemingly Heaven Hill sourced bourbon is almost spectacular. the price? no, what matters is: the taste.

no waste of money here.

as summer ends, i slowly warm up (and cool down) into bourbon sipping. actually tackled my first Islay scotch (bowmore) a month ago...

after a quite enjoyable WT 101 while on family vacation near Bushkill Falls (PA) in early august, i plowed through a dull bottle of Buffalo Trace....that led to another bottle of WT 101 (which was the oddest, worst WT i've ever had...it worried me!:shocked: )...then the JBBlack...

but this? Joshua Brook? Safeway? whatever, i am glad that store has two bottles left!

After checking two stores and coming up empty, the third was the charm as I found a PVW 20 on the way home from work. I'm a little over budget, but this is the Phillies first World Series since 1993 and I'm celebrating!

-Joe

Couldn't resist picking up the 1 liter of OGD BIB and a bottle of OGD 114. Both were decently cheap for my area. $22 bucks each.

I have had small pours of both.. so far the BIB is more to my liking. I got tons of peppery spice from it.

On deck (hopefully on the way home) is a Wild Turkey RB. It will be my first WT expression.

I was suprised at how fast it was delivered but today I got an Eagle Rare 101 Lawrenceburg bottle.

It came in a great looking wood box.

The bottom bottle date is '78.

No evaporation, looks good.

This completes the trio of Lawrenceburg, New Orleans and Frankfort bottles.

I was picking up some Van Winkle a few weeks back at an out of the way "honey pot" when I noticed a Dickel bargain but lacked the funds to exploit it. Well, I went back today and was prepared to pick up two 1.75 liter bottles of Dickel for $24 but they only had one out. The clerk asked how I was as if he knew me so we started chatting. As it turns out he was a student of mine in 1995. Long story short I told him I would buy as much of the Dickel as they had for that price. He came from the back room with four more 1.75 bottles for a total of 5. That price is generally about $10 less per bottle than this whiskey sells for around here. I reckon I have enough Dickel, my preferred Tennessee whiskey, to last me for the next few years.

I was suprised at how fast it was delivered but today I got an Eagle Rare 101 Lawrenceburg bottle.

It came in a great looking wood box.

The bottom bottle date is '78.

No evaporation, looks good.

This completes the trio of Lawrenceburg, New Orleans and Frankfort bottles.

Very cool! Got pics?

~tp

I bought two bottles of 2008 BTAC William Larue Weller today for 54.99

apiece...I expected them to be in the $60 range with the recent increase in prices on bourbon, so I was pleasantly surprised. I look forward to my first pour of WLW on Friday.

-Joe

Very cool! Got pics?

~tp

Yeah it is a great looking bottle and box.

Click on the thumbnail below.

BTW I stole the pic from the seller.

post-1534-14489814732178_thumb.jpg

I gave a list of "wants" to a local liquor chain and their buyer seems to be pretty proactive in satisfying their customers requests. So far they have been able to obtain for me Four Roses Single Barrel, Small Batch, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and now Van Winkles. Well, I stopped by today and they had a single bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old that they ordered for me that came home with me and a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 90 proof that came with it to my house for company!

Got the BTAC bourbons (the frenzy seemed even more frenetic this year. While I was at it, I snared a few Weller 12s for the bunker.

I found some old charter today. 1 OCPR louisville and 2 Old Charter Classic 90 from Louisville.

I ran across (but did not buy) a bottle of Benchmark from New Orleans. Should I get it for $12:cool:

Decided to introduce myself to WT and grabbed a bottle of RB.

Very good, I did find it to taste almost overpowering compared to others I have had in that proof range. A little water brought it down to a more enjoyable level for now.

also took a chance on a bottle of Old Forester 86 proof. Haven't open it yet.

on my sights:

Woodford Reserve

elmer T. Lee

FR SmB

I occasionally work down in VA/MD and the Montgomery County liquor stores have some awesome sales. If you purchase a case of items not on sale, they will take 8% off the normal price, so you can make your own sale. I was hoping for some BTAC and OF BB, but I guess I'll have to hope they have some left the next time I'm down there. Here's what I got (I think I've got the fever from the rest of you!)

4- VW Lot B @ $30.99

6- Bookers @ $38.99

6 - EWSB '96 @ 17.99

2 - WT Russells Reserve Rye @ $19.99

1- WT Kentucky Spirit @ $33.99

1 - Blantons @36.99

I don't know which one but today I should have a bottle of Ancient Age. When my dad travels he tries to stop at liquor stores to find beers with caps he doesn't have (he doesn't drink but he collects caps) and to see if there is any whiskey I might want. Anyway, he had noted "Ancient Age" for one store so I asked him to pick one up; imagine his surprise when the only bottle I was interested in was the cheapest one on his list! :]

I occasionally work down in VA/MD and the Montgomery County liquor stores have some awesome sales. If you purchase a case of items not on sale, they will take 8% off the normal price, so you can make your own sale. I was hoping for some BTAC and OF BB, but I guess I'll have to hope they have some left the next time I'm down there. Here's what I got (I think I've got the fever from the rest of you!)

4- VW Lot B @ $30.99

6- Bookers @ $38.99

6 - EWSB '96 @ 17.99

2 - WT Russells Reserve Rye @ $19.99

1- WT Kentucky Spirit @ $33.99

1 - Blantons @36.99

Awesome price on that Lot B. It's ~ $48 here now.

Yesterday in KY I picked up,...

2 George T Stagg BTAC 2008

1 Thomas H Handy BTAC 2008

2 Parker's Heritage 2008

2 Four Roses Mariage

1 Old Forester Repeal

1 Wild Turkey Rare Breed, in a cool wood box with glasses.

4 W Larue W BTAC 2008 did not come in, they will arrive Thursday so I'll go back down and pick them up when I pick up the bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel that were, as the bottles will state,.....

"Selected By And Bottled For Tony Curtis And Oscar Hightower"

So it will be worth the trip.

Cuz I luvs my Larue.

1 Wild Turkey Rare Breed, in a cool wood box with glasses.

I picked up one of those box sets today as well...and it was $8 cheaper than the bottle on the shelf.

Well it was not exactly today but I too went with OscarV to KY for a little trip and some bourbon buying.

2008 BTAC ...YES

Four Roses Mariage - YES

Old Forester Repeal Bourbon...Just for the glass :rolleyes:

Parker Heritage 27 yr old ...Not sure why but YES! Well Oscar said it's good.

Oh and a bunch of Four Roses Single Barrel which was the reason for the trip any way. Once I get the pictures down loaded I post the trip in Bourbon Social.

Tony

Through the generosity of a fellow SB.com member, I received an Old Charter Proprietors Reserve, Louisville bottling from UD days.

Ran across a gold foil Wild Turkey 12 year with a bottle date of 12/4/91. Not sure how it sat in a liquor store in Lincoln Park for 17 years, but I'm glad I stopped to buy my girlfriend a bottle of wine!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!