What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Parker Heritage 27 yr old ...Not sure why but YES! Well Oscar said it's good.

I had two pours last night and I think it is very special and unique.

When I taste more I will post my findings

Picked up Pappy 20 for $83 last night. Not a bad price! Saw it for $130 at another store. Never had this before, will be drinking it w/ friends tonight.

Decided I should grab the bottle of Four Roses Small Batch that I found, as FR is rare around here.

As it turns out the store had 2 ORVW 10/107 .. couldn't say no.

Stopped by one more place... damn, way over budget.

Lot B and VW 15... How could I say no!

that brings my Van Winkle bunker to:

6 ORVW 10/107

4 Lot B

3 VW 15 yr

1 VW 20 yr

1 Wild Turkey Rare Breed, in a cool wood box with glasses.

I picked up one of those box sets today as well...and it was $8 cheaper than the bottle on the shelf.

I have a bottle of Rare Breed autographed by Jimmy Russell and I put that bottle in the box with autograph showing, looks great.

Picked up Pappy 20 for $83 last night. Not a bad price! Saw it for $130 at another store. Never had this before, will be drinking it w/ friends tonight.

$83 is a great price! Pappy 20 cost me just under a hundred last week.

-Joe

nothing new in the PA stores!

so i went to visit the family in New Castle DE and picked up a bottle of George Dickel 12...never had it before.

and for fun and education, a little bottle of Evan Williams 7 year...

will try 'em out tomorrow morning, i mean, after Noon....!:grin:

It seems everytime I tell myself "OK, this should keep me stocked for awhile.", I run into a store and walk out with a couple of hundred dollars worth of more bourbon. This week it was:

1 BHC OCPR

1 BHC Centennial

1 2008 WLW

1 2008 Handy

2 Univ. Tennessee orange wax Maker's Mark

1 Parker's Heritage 27 yr

1 1.75 Buffalo Trace

1 Weller 12yr

I'm gonna have some splainin' to do when Mrs. Smokinjoe gets the AMEX bill. :o

2 Univ. Tennessee orange wax Maker's Mark

Does this commemorate a sports achievement (Perhaps the Lady Vols?) or does MM do waxes of some schools on a regular basis?

Roger

Does this commemorate a sports achievement (Perhaps the Lady Vols?) or does MM do waxes of some schools on a regular basis?

Roger

Roger, I don't know. I picked them up as gifts for friends in the neighborhood who are UT alums. If it is commemorative, the Lady Vols would be the team deserving of it...not this year's football team, for sure.

Cleaned out a small stash of 1994 and 1995 EWSB gift sets. The 94 seems to be a popular favorite on the boards and I liked the rocks glass/measuring cup combo that comes with the 95, so it's worthwhile even if the bottle itself isn't quite as good.

Also asked for, and thought I was handed WLW and Handy Rye from BTAC 2008. After I left, I realized that they were actually 2007, both of which are already bunkered here. Took em back, they said they were all out of all 2008 BTAC (so I guess just hand the customer anything, huh?). I swapped out the WLW for a 2005 bottle.

They didn't have any other Handy besides 2007, so I just kept it. Wasn't really planning on increasing stock on that one right now, but I guess it's ok. A time will come, sooner or later, that I'm glad I have it here. At least that's the hope...

I was very bad...I went to pick up some vet Rx and of course...a block away is Teddy's Liqour store....good prices but they used to be cash only...and I don't usually carry that much...but today I noticed the VISA etc. card on the door.....soooooooo...spur of the moment purchase..me bad:

Picked up some new for me whiskeys....I think these are pretty good prices..what do you think?

Old Overhold Rye... $10.49

Old Weller 107......$15.99

Old Fitz 1849.......$15.99

Wathen's SB.,....$24.99

And....

Famous Grouse.. 17.99

White Horse ....15.99

The Teachers only came in the large bottle size.

They had Eagle Rare...for about $23...but I did not need more at this time.

P.S. the wife caught me re-arranging my cabinent....I operate on a strict "don't ask, don't tell" bourbon purchase philosophy! :)

Took em back, they said they were all out of all 2008 BTAC (so I guess just hand the customer anything, huh?). I swapped out the WLW for a 2005 bottle.

They didn't have any other Handy besides 2007, so I just kept it. Wasn't really planning on increasing stock on that one right now, but I guess it's ok. A time will come, sooner or later, that I'm glad I have it here. At least that's the hope...

Don't be fooled by sales guys at the store that have no idea of what you are talking Rob. The 2008 BTAC has not made it to Michigan yet and will not be on our shelves for another couple weeks. Then you can get your 2008 stuff for the bunker.

One of the VA boy's (Greg maybe) Loves the 1995 EWSB so I would not worry about you pick ups there 94 is very good as well.

Cheers!

Tony

I stopped by my favorite local state store to check on the special order that I made through ODLC (not in yet...dang). I had not bought anything since I was at KBF, so I picked up a bottle of J.T.S Brown BIB.

I mean, I was there. I couldn't leave empty handed, right? :grin:

Also Rob, those EWSB's you got are pre-fire HH.

Some say they are some of the best.

Early November of '96 there was a fire that destroyed the HH stills.

They now distill in Louisville.

Picked up an ER17 as a gift for a neighbor. While I was there I also got a bottle of the Woodford Reserve Sweet Mash (WR SM?).

Don't be fooled by sales guys at the store that have no idea of what you are talking Rob. The 2008 BTAC has not made it to Michigan yet and will not be on our shelves for another couple weeks. Then you can get your 2008 stuff for the bunker.

One of the VA boy's (Greg maybe) Loves the 1995 EWSB so I would not worry about you pick ups there 94 is very good as well.

Cheers!

Tony

Thanks guys!

I am a little surprised that the guys at Grape Vine didn't know about the BTAC. I kinda had them pegged as a little more in-the-loop than most. Oh well, had I received accurate info about the 2008 release, I'd have put that $120 towards some other bottles.

Live and learn, I suppose...I need to bring a proof list next time, so I can be sure what I'm handed before I make my way to checkout.

I think these are pretty good prices..what do you think?

Old Overhold Rye... $10.49

Old Weller 107......$15.99

Wathen's SB.,....$24.99

I think so too. I'm pretty sure that in my area Weller 107 can't be had for less than $20, I seldom see Wathen's around but the few times I have it was around $35, iirc. As for the OO, a couple of dollars less than what I've seen it for but I'm really not a fan of that one so I don't look for it.

well, there it was and i've never had it before. a bottle of GEORGE DICKEL no. 12.....there was dust on it, but not sure if it's old...

and a small bottle of Evan Williams 7 year...so i could at least say i know what it tastes like....

A buddy of mine just returned from a trip to TN. and brought me back a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. That's a nice treat I look forward to opening!

I had another buddy who just got back from Thailand, he brought me a bottle of Thai Whiskey of some type. The label is all in Thai so I have no clue exactly what it is.

A little search turned up that it is Mee Khong Whiskey...pretty rough stuff...

A couple nice Liquid surprises.

:toast:

Nothing too big today. Was in Meijer's getting some groceries and happened upon Wild Turkey 101 gift sets, with a fifth and two rocks glasses. Wasn't really planning on buying bourbon, but since they were priced at $17.99 (under state min, I think) and the glasses provide some extra value, what the heck? Not like Wild Turkey is going to go to waste around me :cool:

I grabbed two, but just might have to go back and load up.

Last week bought two bottles of PVW 13 rye to try and another bottle of the PVW15 just because, hahaha. The PVW 13 rye is definitely as good as everyone is saying and on par with all the premium van winkle lineup that I love and drink mostly. Also bought the ORVW10-107 to try as a daily pour since my PVW15 and GTS are draining way too fast as a daily pour.

Today, I picked up three bottles of George Stagg 2008 and 1 bottle of the Eagle Rare 17. This is perfect since I just finish up my GTS07 bottle. I'm also excited to try the ER17 as I have not tried it before and read some good review for the 2008 release. I haven't seen any notes on the 2008 GTS or ER17 on SB.com yet I think and was wondering if anyone tried them yet?

Cheers

--Hugh

I picked up two Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107prf, that's 8 in the bunker, it should hold me until the Spring release.

Nothing too big today. Was in Meijer's getting some groceries and happened upon Wild Turkey 101 gift sets, with a fifth and two rocks glasses. Wasn't really planning on buying bourbon, but since they were priced at $17.99 (under state min, I think) and the glasses provide some extra value, what the heck? Not like Wild Turkey is going to go to waste around me :cool:

I grabbed two, but just might have to go back and load up.

Forget "might", I did. Added another 4 sets, even though one was on its back, which makes me wonder about the cork? Not sure how long it'd been like that or how long a cork can hold up doused with 101-proof alcohol. If the cork ends up ok, I got six bottles and 12 rocks glasses for the state minimum for five bottles. Good enough for me.

I did pass a different display in the store where they were all marked $20.99. I wonder if the cheaper ones were from a prior year...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!